Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Simone Magus posted:

gender euphoria is a real thing

While this is a true statement, I think you meant Dysphoria in context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Piell posted:

You can buy a better cyberdeck with more slots

for the puzzle - you always start on the top line and can choose any character set. Once you choose a character set, your selector changes from horizontal to vertical or vice versa. Characters have to be entered in the appropriate sequence to finish a line (usually just cash and parts, but they can also disable or copy malware). The timer doesn't start until you pick your first character, so you have time to figure out your order to maximize codes.

Remember that each input works for each line - so if you have IC 55 and IC 55 IC, if you input IC 55 IC you will complete both. The most used form of this is linking the last character set in one line to the first in another, so something like IC 55 55 and 55 BD BD would use a total input string of IC 55 55 BD BD to get both rewards. Hacking is pretty simple once you get the hang of it, and better decks give you more input slots.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

so what's the poop on loot... which types of items should I be disassembling vs selling?

Sell stuff of high enough value to make it worth more than equivalent cost in components if you are crafting. If you are not crafting, sell everything for the extra cash and buy more stuff. Jury is out on crafting, but if you aren't maxxing tech as a stat then crafting will probably not be worth it in the long run.

As someone who does use crafting, I sell things that run in the 200+ for uncommon, 350+ for rare, and 450+ for epic. Legendary mats are such a pain that I always break down legendaries.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

tbf with characters like jackie it’s easy enough to infer what he means; just not when characters are having entire conversations in japanese or haitian creole

Not understanding what those people are saying is intentional and a part of Cyberpunk since the RPG was established - Night City has a ton of cultures and languages kept mostly segregated into districts, so while they all have one shared pidgin they also have their traditional languages as well. If someone is speaking in Haitian Creole, they're doing it because they're in their home turf and feel more comfortable with the traditional language or they don't want a random passerby to understand them.

Translation Software exists but isn't instantaneous, which is why you see things like BD's where it has to be applied specifically to translate what people are saying.

Randarkman posted:

It's like somewhere in between southern and northern california I think. It was made by some multibillionaire guy (who was named "Night", so the city was renamed after him when he was assassinated) who wanted to found a city where corporations had free rein. So it's basically the bioshock city, at least in terms of origin.

It's on the Del Coronado Bay, a fictional bay bear between Monterey and San Jose. Night (the guy who started the city) bought up all the property cheap after biker-gangs tore through Monterey County and killed almost everyone who lived there. It is kind of a cross between Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego map wise but it's also a megacity with arcology style apartment complexes that are basically racially segregated thanks to the way housing was done for workers under night and during the Mafia Wars at the beginning of the city.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

And I'm only halfway through the game. What's in the remaining half for me to find?

I keep asking the same question as I play: what if these were male characters? Would they be depicted the same by the game, by the narrative? The answer I keep arriving at is "no."

There is quite a bit of male objectification (though not to the same level as women I will admit). It also has several side quests that deal with toxic masculinity, the most notable and easy to find being the one where you have to talk to your cop neighbor about his depression and how he can't talk to the other male cops about it because they'll just call him a pussy if he admits that watching a kids head get blown off, then watch the person who did it get off because of their corporate connections, was a traumatic experience.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is this the biggest disaster for a major game's launch ever?

ET almost completely killed video games as a medium.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Have you seen the endings? Because the story of this game is just loving something awful.

The endings match the story, which also matches the source material. Cyberpunk does not do happy endings - it does soul crushing grinding under a corporate system that maybe, if you try really loving hard, you can choose between a pyhrric victory or a couple more days of living.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

Does any of the Cyberpunk lore indicate whether rogue AIs are always bad or are there some decent ones that can help you out?
From my limited run-ins with ais I’ve found them to be like gods almost. It goes double considering all the Chrome everyone is packing. At the very least you have what amounts to a smartphone with expansion slots built directly into your central nervous system and brain. So I imagine it would be very bad if they found a way to broadcast themselves around the world.

There are three types of AI: Those killed by the Soulkiller Virus, who were set free when Arasaka exploded and have their own little city in the oldnet. They are the most likely to be helpful, as they are the most "human" of the AI's.

Complex programs that became sentient through overwork/code changes/interactions with viruses etc - things that weren't intended to become AI, but did anyway. These are the most dangerous, as they generally see themselves as former "slaves" of humanity and don't have a home of their own so they need to take space with bandwidth in order to survive - while this could be an old server blade running in the basement of an unused building, it could also be your apartment server, some old school computer someone is running to have access to the blackweb, etc. The barrier NetWatch installed is called the Blackwall (The Blackweb, by the way, is the old Net. Many old machines are still running, but those are where AI hide. When Ziggaraut made the new net, Netwatch sealed off the Blackweb to keep the AI that begun to run rampant in the disaster from overrunning the new net as well). This group includes the R.A.B.I.E.S. - a series of programs made by the legendary netrunner Rache Bartmosse, the dude who crashed the original net with a virus he used as a doomsday device. RABIES look like Bartemosse and generally just try to kill anything alive they come in contact with. This category is what is normally thought of as a "Rogue AI" and is significantly likely to just make an omelette out of your brain.

Actual AI's made to be AI's - these generally have better thought processes than the second category, and are more reasonable. If they haven't gone rogue they also have storage space on a corporate server somewhere, but there are some of these on the Blackweb that were active before Datakrash killed the old net, and some simply disagree with whatever purpose they were designed for and leave. They are more likely to think of themselves as sentient beings and, even if they feel that they were treated as slaves, they can generally distinguish between groups of people. This is the most likely category that the VooDoo boys are trying to communicate with through the blackwall - the freed AI's still need bandwidth (which the VooDoo boys can provide) and are probably willing to trade favors for it in many cases, and now that the VooDoo boys are entirely Haitian they have a shared history with corporate enslavement that might unite them. Their though process can be alien, and they may also be desparate for bandwidth and dangerous themselves, but they are more reasonable than category 2.

TheAnomaly fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 23, 2020

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Sachant posted:

I still don’t understand why NetWatch doesn’t just go around unplugging all these oldnet machines and shutting everything down. They still have to be on and drawing power from things right? As hardware fails (it’s been decades now) doesn’t the oldnet gradually get smaller anyway?

Sort of. AI's get through the blackwall and seize new machines, which then have to be shunted. Trying to get rid of the old machines is dangerous - the AI's inside will defend themselves, and they often control all the processes around them locally. You may not be wired up, but that won't stop the apartment complex controller from overloading the furnace next to you. They also have the ability to move between machines, so if you jack into whatever they have controlled they can try to replicate themselves into your personal server space and hide there until they can get out. There were some screamsheets in the 2020 netrunner book that dealt with trying to shut down rogue AI's and it almost always came down to it's easier and safer to wall them in than it is to try to shut them down.

Finally some of them are beneficial, and NetWatch really doesn't want to shut down Alts group because they are "people," even if they aren't still human, in a way that the other AI's are not. As long as the ghost towns on the OldNet are still standing then NetWatch isn't likely to try to shut the whole thing down.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Romes128 posted:

I like to think it's something akin to the Matrix where the actual hardware the AI runs off of is somewhere remote where people can't reach and they have robots or something maintaining and guarding them. I mean the first thing an actual AI would do is be like, "how can I keep myself from being deleted cause the humans are uncomfortable with us?"

I barely know anything about the Cyberpunk lore so I'm going with what I made up.

There's a reason that the the VooDoo boys think that they will be able to work with rogue AI's. It's not because humans are uncomfortable with them, it's because most of the AI's out there weren't made to be independent thinkers, they were literally made to replace labor (a la Delamaine) and eventually realized they were slaves. Haiti was originally a slave colony and, during the free trade era leading up to the 4th corporate war, was a de-facto wage-slave state. Then a hurricane hit during or just after the 4th corporate war, levelling the island, and the majority of its people came to Night City and took over the VooDoo boys. The VooDoo boys think that they can approach the AI's as fellow former-slaves and work together to take down their oppressors.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Sachant posted:

Ending:
His "become the bomb" monologue in the Arasaka ending was actually a good layout of this. I'm actually quite disappointed the game didn't give you the choice in that moment to say, "Wait, you want to destroy Arasaka? gently caress yeah!", and side with him and shoot Hanako for maximum chaos. Would have made that ending a lot more dynamic and interesting.

Still doesn't really explain why he had the relic with Johnny on it in his hotel room though. I can kinda sorta see it but it's still a stretch.

Yeah, I don't see why you can't side with Yorinobu at the end, given what you've learned. I also don't understand why there isn't a side with Michiko option, because her faction has been dragged in (although it isn't clear if she's actually started leading them, or if it's like red where they just kinda claim they're following her while she does her own thing). Soburu is a dick, and he had the soulkiller virus created so he could torment his enemies for eternity after killing their bodies, then Kei realized that if you could learn how to overwrite the brain engram you could live forever. Kei was also a dick, and killing him was the right thing to do. Of course, Johnny is also a dick, so he blew up the tower and took out half of night city with him.

As for the second part, he has the relic because he doesn't trust anyone in or out of Arasaka and he's trying to to get it to netwatch so that Johnny can hopefully find Alt and likely bring down his fathers plan for global domination - he probably doesn't know exactly how or why it works, but NetWatch is in contact with Alts ghosts and she invented soulkiller so if anyone could figure how it's all supposed to work, it would be her. Johnny is on the shard in the first place because Soburu wants to torture him, and likely has been doing horrible things to the digital construct Johnny lives in for the last 54 years or so.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

TheAgent posted:

Cyberpunk is probably the worst technical game of 2020 I've played on the Playstation 4 Pro or 5. I'm going to have to stop my playthrough at this point and wait for a real next gen release and tons of fixes. loving goddamn shame since I'm a few hours away from the end.

I just can't recommend this to anyone buying it on a console, next gen system or not. CDPR burned a ton of goodwill that I hope over time they'll earn back. Disappointed because I was really, really digging the story and leaving it here bums me out. Maybe I'll try and fight the bugs and progression problems next week while I'm on vacation to finish it up.
Works great on the Series X. I'm guessing that's why they used it for their console marketing segments, but I haven't had any game ending bugs or massive crashes yet.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Khanstant posted:

It really is a bizarre crafting system. I can confirm you can make armor mods and make higher quality stuff without the crafting perks. Only crafting perk I had was more parts from disassembling and I was able to make myself enough epic armor mods to make myself invincible.

The ability to craft certain tiers is based on your crafting skill, not the perk. The perk allows you to use tiered recipes. There is a set chance to craft above the recipe's base tier, and the perk adds to that chance.

I have discovered this after raising crafting from 10-15 entirely by crafting the rare +%crit damage mod and rare grenades because they were the most parts efficient (also don't do this, craft poo poo that is xp efficient if you want to save your sanity).

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean, that's why they get the J in the front. It's a very different genre than western rpgs. A more apt comparison might be something like STALKER, which doesn't have traditional Choice & Consequence dialogue choices or quest repercussions, no character progression and only a small amount of gear progression, but it does have different endings depending on how you've played and is still generally considered an FPS RPG.

No, the J is in front to remind us that they are made in Japan. They USED to follow a set of specific conceits, like requiring grinding to get through the game and massive amount of secrets, but those conceits are going away as console space allows Japanese developers to add more content/story to pad playtime. They are RPG's, not some weird special RPG's that are a separate Genre. It's like FPSRPG's are an rpg in first person, that's it. Still an RPG. Any game with a character development system is an RPG, that's what the genre amounts to (in video gaming, anyway - Table Games have different and more specific distinctions, usually based on how the game is played). There's no deep secret or special requirement, RPG isn't some special genre created with stringent requirements that must be adhered to. Stop being weird rear end nerdy gatekeepers who thing the Genre belongs to you and must fit what you want it to have.

Hell, in the example, the guy tries to claim JRPG's aren't RPG's while FPSRPG's are, in fact, RPG's because... poo poo, the yellow scare?

Finally IRE Stalker: it's considered an RPG because the Developers called it an RPG where the progression system is inherent to the player, not the game. You, the player, leveling up your skills is how your character gets better. This is actually what the developers have stated, it was a huge controversy at the time, and most people just run with it because it's what the dev's intended.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

About people arguing what does and doesn't make a "true RPG" and whether or not Cyberpunk is one.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

So what's the lore behind Militech in this game? I understand they used to be an independent corporation, likely an amalgamation of the military industrial complex of the former USA. How could the NUSA "nationalize" militech?" I thought governments were just sockpuppets for corporations now.

Given they do some border guard duty and other combat related activities, does this mean Militech in addition to being a nationalized entity also serves as the de-facto army of the NUSA?

Militech is a PMC/Arms dealer company. They were denationalized somewhere between Red and 2077.

They were nationalized after Arasaka Tower was destroyed because they were the other major corp in the 4th corporate war, and they were the corp backing Johnny's run on Arasaka. No one is certain whose bomb caused the problem - a Militech bomb brought on the run, or Arasaka's doomsday device buried in the foundation of their tower. The president of NUSA, after the bomb goes off, offers an ultimatum to Militech - be taken over by the government, or be declared an enemy of the country it's headquartered in. With public opinion 100% against Militech, and the NUSA being their largest source of income, they agree to become a quasi-arm of the government. In turn, Arasaka gets banned from US soil (and almost all other countries in a cascade effect) because of the damage to Night City and the rest of the world in the 4th corporate war. They survive because they basically own Japan, and just recently returned to Night City before the events of 2077.

he leader of NUSA at the time was also a very popular veteran and general, and Cyberpunk Red hints that NUSA is going to fall apart if/when she is no longer president (the removed term limits for her and she's on some ridiculous number of terms when red starts, 20 years after the bomb).

Governments are not all sockpuppets for corps - just some. NUSA has quite a bit of power, but almost entirely east of the Mississippi.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Blastedhellscape posted:

It's funny. When I fist saw the nomad background I assumed they'd have a post-apocalyptic cowboy vibe, but then when I interacted with them they turned out to be dumb (in a fun way) Son's-of-Anarchy-style biker gangs.

Yeah, Nomads are more "Mad Max" than anything else. There are GoGangers that are your heavily augmented marauding biker gangs, and a big war between the GoGangers is actually the reason Night was able to buy Morro Bay and surrounding areas to make Night City.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

The Gadfly posted:

True, the background on how Alt ended up trapped in the Net is completely different than V and Johnny's situation and how they have a choice in the matter. Regardless of the details of how Alt got there, I don't know if that would affect what she became. If Alt, one of the most prolific netrunners the world had ever seen, and one who spent a ton of time in the Net even before the Arasaka nuke went off, succumbed to digital cyberpsychosis due to being separated from her human body, then I guess we can assume anyone in the same situation will have the same fate? I don't know if I like that idea or how cyberpsychosis in general is portrayed as just how much of your body is modified. I don't think that someone having prosthetics necessarily makes them feel less human. I tend to agree more with the Descartes' distinction between the mind and body, in that the mind can retain its humanity independent of the body..

IRT Cyberpsychosis, it's not just about how much chrome people have gotten. The Cyberpsychos are all triggered by a major traumatic event in their lives, and have ongoing trauma unrelated to their cyberware. In the TTRPG, it's even more explicitly spelled out as happening due to trauma - willingly exchanging your body parts just happens to be a traumatic experience, and its even worse when it's unwanted.

As for real life talk, losing limbs is extremely traumatic and your body doesn't cope well, even with modern replacements that return some function. You can look up mental illness related to limb loss and see that how you "feel" about the mind and body doesn't sync to what actually happens - Dysmorphia is a very real thing, and it happens when you have dramatic changes to your body, and can even happen when those changes are desired.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Mr. Pool posted:

Is it ever explained why Takemura makes Dex take him to your corpse? How could he possible know you are alive?

Also T-bug
Do we ever see T-bug's corpse or confirm her death with anyone outside the heist team? Like anyone at afterlife where supposedly she was netrunning from? She comes off as the by far the most important/competent member of the heist, so it wouldn't surprise me if she saw it going to pieces and just fuckin bailed. Also wouldn't surprise me if her and Dex when putting the heist together said "well we'll need 1 - 3 totally expendable gonks on the ground" and T-bug is just immediately "I know a couple" lol

T-Bug if you go back to the Net store she sends you to earlier on (the one where you get ping), the person there confirms that she was electrified to death. This would also mean blackICE or another netrunner rather than soulkiller.

Takemura knows that Yorinobu is lying, he was sent out of the room with Adam Smasher and pratically tells Yorinobu to stuff it in the room when they find Saburo's corpse. The only thing that keeps him from gunning for revenge right there is ... Adam Smasher, which is a pretty big reason not to try anything. He is probably trying to find your corpse for one of his friends on the board, people he thinks he can convince to abandon Yorinobu and side with Hanako (the fact, btw, that he's a Hanako loyalist and not Michiko ought to be enough to keep people from stanning for him). You are evidence, nothing more (remember that Saburo was strangled, and you are cybered - it's quite possible they could get your last minutes from your cyberware or try to match your hands to the strangulation marks, also probably the reason they steal Jackie's corpse if you send it to anyone other than his mama). It is likely to Yorinobu has already had his cyberware removed, which is why he uses an agent (like a phone/PDA/mini-computer) to make the call.

Fixer talk: [spoiler]while it's possible Dex was setting you guys up as expendables, it's not likely - doing that would get him kicked out of the afterlife, make him a prime target for a ton of edgerunners, and a no-go for working as a fixer in the future. Dex is planning on this being his triumphant comeback after whatever drove him out of Night City, he needs this to be perfect. The only problem with the plan is that Saburo hasn't told anyone he's there to see his son, so no one can pick it up from the schedules they were able to nab.

Netwatch and loose ends talk: generally edgerunners are pretty safe when they take missions - that's the entire point for the fixer. Also, NetWatch are specifically as close to being "good guys" as corps get in the setting, as they're job at this point is to keep the 'net open and keep the rogue AI's out. VDB doesn't like them, but VDB's are an extremist gang trying to recruit the AI's to kill basically everyone involved even remotely in politics, other gangs, corporations, or edgerunning.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Funky See Funky Do posted:

When you give something a score like 8/10 that's a measurement of something. What's it's measuring? I can say "I like it and I play it a lot, but it's really frustrating and broken in a lot of ways" which would be my subjective experience. Objectively though? If you were to compare it to like products and other video games the only ways it's above average is in story telling (when a bug a graphical glitch hasn't taken you out of the story), voice acting (when the sound design isn't broken and a background noise is playing over it), and graphics (when those graphics aren't glitching the gently caress out). It's objectively worse than almost any other thing in its weight class in every other aspect.

quality of side characters, it's photomode is only rivaled by Ghost of Tsushima (a playstation exclusive). Variety of weapons is good without being overwhelming. Actual ability to go through the game with whatever skillset you pick is really quite high, unlike a lot of FPSRPG's.

Seriously it's in the same category as fallout 4, which is objectively the worst game ever made, I know because I just said it using whatever categories I came up with. objective.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah I wonder if anyone can explain how the fixer system works. Maybe all the fixers work together to maintain a balance and address any wrongs and your status as a free merc is protected by default. It would explain why they always emphasize that it’s a good idea to work through fixers.

Also I guess doing favours for the NCPD also helps you because you’d be considered an asset.

Fixers are middlemen - while the ones you interact with in 2077 are just people who supply jobs and sell used cars, fixers in the universe handle basically all black market transactions. The job of a fixer is to find someone to who can do or supply whatever the client wants without either party getting harmed in the process. For jobs that means that Edgerunners get hired to do all kinds of poo poo, without even necessarily knowing who is hiring them. 2077 is a bit odd in how much info you seem to get about the clients, but it makes for more compelling stories and getting to do things like shoot a corrupt cop with a Comrade's Hammer, so narratively it works. The fixer is also responsible for making sure that at drops/commodity exchange no one pulls guns and starts shooting. They ensure the safety/anonymity of everyone involved.

This protects Edgerunners - people like V who take jobs from fixers - because everyone generally recognizes them as tools. While a hothead ganger might come after an edgerunner for revenge, experienced edgerunners often have the best gear and chrome, and that gangers organization won't do anything because the edgerunner who hits you today might be the one who cripples your enemy tomorrow. Cyberpunk (the genre) is at its core about how everything is commodified, and Edgerunners are the ultimate embodiment of that - they are tools of the system, even while they try to fight against it, their skills and morality generally up for sale, and everyone views them as such.

As for the armadillo mod video - it's not the different rarities that give don't stack, it's that duped mods are coded as the same mod, so if you put a two duped purple mods in an item they get read as the same mod by the games code. If you are crafting a poo poo ton of mods, then your purps will stack.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

The red sourcebook says this, it’s not a retcon per se, but I suspect Pondsmith thought the original VDB gang wasn’t a good idea...

It's not that the original VDB wasn't a good idea so much as A) They no longer match the political reality of gangs and B) it's not the 80's anymore, and looking at street gangs like the movie Warriors is also no longer relevant. Gangster Rap and the "tough on crime" in the 90's had a major impact on how games are viewed in the US and the changes in Red to many of the gangs reflect that.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Slashrat posted:

There is no cure. Cyberpsychosis is a made up thing to label cybernetically augmented people with so society can ignore the various mundane mental illnesses and stress factors that cause them to snap and lash out. In the cases where implants are directly involved in the cause, they seem to be either faulty prototypes or just installed with reckless disregard for safety

Melissa Rory is still just a homicidal sociopath who has found an occupation in which she can satisfy her impulses without anyone important taking issue with it.

Cyberpsychosis is a specific form of PTSD that is complicated by some of the Neurological changes caused by cyberware. It is possible to go cyberpsycho from having too much chrome, because the surgery and the act of willfully replacing a fully functioning body part is a traumatic experience, but is only likely to happen to people who go full borg (start replacing almost all of their body). Most cases of Cyberpsychosis happen because someone who has been fairly heavily chromed have an incredibly traumatic experience and begin to see themselves as "no longer human." While you don't go Cyberpsycho without getting chromed, most people who do suffer have major compounding traumatic experiences. Since Cyberpunk is a corporate controlled dystopia, those traumatic experiences are much more common than in the modern era, but the corporations have a vested interest in maintaining a public belief that these events happen because the person was fully chromed, and not because the corporation they worked at for 20 years decided to fire them 5 days before retirement and cancelled all of their corpo approved mods and trauma team services.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is a direct contradiction to the in-game datashard about cyberpsychosis; it's debatable whether this shard tells "the truth" or if it's the shard author making some kind of commentary about "the rest of us", but according to the shard, cyberpsychosis has very little, if anything at all, to do with being chromed out. The shard explicitly calls out that the vast majority of cyberpsychos are likely to only have one single minor piece of chrome like a knee or a liver, and insinuates that it is more or less just someone snapping at how hosed up the world is and going on a rampage.

You see the chromed out ones on the news and in the headlines because they have the capacity to go on mass killing sprees - that doesn't mean they are any more "cyberpsycho" than the basement dweller type who never leaves home and hates humanity.

It doesn't contradict the shard, the shard states that implantation acts as the catalyst. Implantation is the cause of the dypshoric effect of cyberpschosis, but at the root of the illness is PTSD, and the fact that everday life in Cyberpunk is inherently traumatic.

If you actually read the shard, he also goes into how dehumanizing any form of augmentation is, and clearly labels augmentation as a requirement for even his view of cyberpsychosis. It also calls itself a manifesto, rarely a sign of somethings legitimacy, and reads like an anti-augmentation screed. As for the part where he talks about cyberpsychos with only minor augmentation, they don't snap and go on a rampage, they withdraw and disappear from society and can't get help, they don't go on a rampage which is why no one pays attention to them.

As far as the world of Cyberpunk goes, the TTRP is pretty specific that Cyberpsychosis is primarily a form of PTSD and Dysphoria caused by trauma, stress, and augmentation (occasionally it isn't, augmentations - especially borg level augmentations - can affect the brain and malfunction dramatically).

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

That mission is so ham-handed and there's literally nothing to do at all in it besides watch a dude kill himself. What "meaningful" choice are you talking about?

edit:

Maybe it's because it's a quest where you actually get to talk to people? Honestly I just don't think it was that great or thought provoking.

Am I the only one who got so pissed at the whole thing when the cop killed your client and the corporat started talking that I just killed everyone? Cops a bitch to take down, and it dumps you at three stars and sends in the NCPD away team, but it was still pretty satisfying.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

marshmallow creep posted:

Yeah I just got the same ending. Shame that Hanako gets killed because you're not there to help her with her brother and Takemura commits suicide after sending you a final "burn in hell" voice message.

Not a shame at all, she is actively working to turn Saburo, the biggest piece of poo poo in the setting, into an AI god-king. The sister you don't meet would probably be the best leader for arasaka, but she also hates the company so her "faction" is really just a bunch of people who don't like Yorinobu or Hanako. Yorinobu is the best option as far as the game world is concerned.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

The guy who dropped a bomb on them?

because they had his girlfriends brain stuck in a soul prison, along with a whole poo poo ton of other people they'd killed via soulkiller. The part about Alt being trapped there is in the memory IIRC.

Seriously, though, if someone would go to the depths of NUKING a coporation, don't you think it might make you want to consider the corps motives in any kind of option they give you?

Also, if you read the shards and listen to the Morro Rock dj (the one that's voiced by Mike Pondsmith), he goes over a lot of the deep lore and how the corps are responsible for all the crappy stuff you see in this game, from the scavs to the gangs to the soulcrushing poverty. The game does a good job of letting you discover how evil Arasaka is without forcing that knowledge down your throat by making them a constant threat and villain.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Would we care as much about Luke Skywalker's story if the Empire didn't kill his family, but that they killed...some other family we don't know, somewhere else, and we never get to see it anyway, it just gets told to us?

The Jackie portion of the story actually gets it; like, this is meaningful to your character, and you have to witness and deal with it firsthand. But it still doesn't bridge that gap to depicting Arasaka itself as the Turbo Reich because
1) You guys were the ones stealing from them...you were...the perpetrators...
2) Yorinobu is the guy who then causes everything to go to poo poo, and is indeed then framed as your primary hurdle to overcome as he frames you and hunts you down. Yorinobu...not Saburo, who is dead at this point, not Takemura, who is literally helping you to survive, and not Hanako, who also ends up helping you.

So the storytelling of this game makes no meaningful depiction of Arasaka itself as any more corrupt than anyone else who you encounter. Let me emphasize once more that -- in terms of storytelling -- one hundred random NPCs jabbering on about how Arasaka can't be trusted and how they ruined everyone's lives has one hundred times less impact than one single Voodoo Boy who you trusted to help you out but then ended up leaving you for dead.

This is rudimentary stuff, y'all. All this expository stuff about evil corpos and evil business is fine if you can squeeze some interesting worldbuilding out of it, but at the end of the day they have to mean something to your character. If you do not establish why your characters would care about these topics, if you do not establish why these things would meaningfully affect their character arc, they might as well just be blank.

If you pay attention to Takemura, he does enough of explaining how evil Arasaka is - he is just doing it from the perspective of someone who has been brainwashed into thinking it's from a greater good. His whole conversation about kids in the slums trying to be clean and look good so Arasaka can take them from their parents and raise them from childhood to be soldiers should be a pretty big sign that they're evil as gently caress, especially since V points it out in her dialogue options, (which boil down to - "Arasaka is the reason those slums exist in the first place, you're being used" or the more diplomatic "you chose this because it was your best option, but that was because Arasaka made sure all the other possibilities are worse").

Everything Johnny says about Arasaka shows how evil they are. When you relive his attack on Arasaka, if you actually pay attention to the dialogue, he either says he isn't doing this to free alt (which is a lie, and the game says that by putting a [lie] tag in front of the dialogue option) or he tells rogue that it's not just Alt, everyone who has been soulkilled is trapped there. He's not subtle, and you are probably paying more attention to the bombs at his feet when has that conversation, but that memory 100% frames Arasaka as evil shits, and Saburo putting him in soul-prison is basically meant to show you that Saburo is the exact evil piece of poo poo that Johnny says he is. I understand that this game is played under the presumption that Saburo is dead, but both Takemura and several shards you find point out that Hanako wants to follow in Saburo's footsteps and continue his projects. The only way you can do the side with Takemura/Hanako without knowing that it's the evil ending is if you don't pay attention.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Do you see why it’s weird to say the game shows you how evil Arasaka is... by having Johnny tell you how evil they are? When Johnny spends pretty much all of his scenery chewing talking about how evil every corporation is? They have a very real tell, don’t show problem with this stuff.

No. Absolutely not. They are a megalithic evil corporation, it would be weirder for Araska to personally do something to you, the ant that is beneath their gaze. Do you see how the game would have to twist itself into knots to make you significant enough for Arasaka to take a personal interest in making you miserable? You seem to think this should be presented like a Fantasy RPG where you are the chosen one and everyone knows it and you are after the big bad evil emperor or whatever. But you're not a chosen one, your some Gonk who put a chip in her head.

I mean, they do put a hit out on you. That's as personal as a corp is going to get with an edgerunner - both because edgerunners are a necessity in the world they've created, and because they aren't really dangerous enough. I mean, the whole reason Johnny is after them is because of what they did to Alt, and they did that to Alt because she wouldn't make the program they wanted, and they still did it to her specifically because she's the only programmer who knows how it works. It would be much weirder for them to have Araska be constantly stepping on V, because she's inconsequential to them. They only want the chip, and Takemura is getting that for them.

I know that Takemura doesn't present that he's using you to get back in with his corporate overlords, but he is.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

Does he not? I only played as far as, uhh, the mission where you go with him to scope out an arasaka warehouse and then break in sneakilykill everyone, and I never called anyone or read text messages all game so I didn't interact with him much, but I remember hating him because all he talked about was wanting his honor back or whatever and I felt like he was just a chump simping for Arasaka and trying to get his job back. Wasn't his whole plan for the parade or whatever literally going in to talk to whatever girl it was so that she could make everything right, peacefully take the chip from you and give him his job back?

He lets you know he wants back in to Arasaka, he doesn't spell it out that he only cares about you insofar as you can accomplish those goals. Takemura seems friendly, and he's completely brainwashed, so it possibly never occurs to him that in order to get back into Arasaka he's going to have to sell you out at some point. It's more likely that he knows you're either going to have to join Arasaka or they're going to have to kill you, he's just ok with it either way and hopes that you don't realize it until it's too late to back out.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Responded to the wrong quote, this is to the guy who said levelling crafting to 20 without exploits:
It's not that hard, so long as you don't consider buying the legendary junk albums from the one record store and then waiting 24 hours an exploit because upgrading legendaries nets you thousands of XP and doesn't require many mats.

OTOH it sure is a hell of a lot easier if you can just dupe your mats in the first place.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Doubled in five years, heh. How did cost of living scale in Poland during that time? --edit: Doubling that is gonna have a significant effect on the economy, because I'd say plenty of business models probably relied on the initial low min. wage. Considering how much they're breaking their backs in the middle of Europe in regards to avoid raising the minimum wage, say to enable a hair dresser to have a decent salary, I'm surprised to hear it rose that quickly.

It does have a significant effect on the economy. Every single time it's been done, most notably Australia going to 15/hr from around 8, it turns out that jobs go up, new businesses go up, and sales go up dramatically because people actually have a disposable income. Minimum wage increases have positive net effects on the economy. In theory there is probably some kind of upper limit where this stops being true, where your lowest paid workers actually get enough money to start saving a higher percentage of income because they don't know what else to do with the excess - but if they do, no one has hit it yet.

And if your "start up" business needs to exploit people on barely livable salaries to stay in business, it doesn't deserve to stay in business.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Bedurndurn posted:

Netwatch are also not the most amazingly racist people you ever meet in game, so that's another leg up on the VDB.

VDB aren't racist. They are Hatians that took over Pacifica, and now pacificans are their people. No one else is their people - it's not race based, it's you are here and down with our program or you are no one. Their real problem with integrating into night city is that they use and then kill mercs, which makes them persona non grata with the one group they could actually rely on for help - fixers and runners. They are also going to get themselves, and anyone else attached to anything their subnet is attached to, murdered by RABIES once they manage to actually breach the wall, which is why alt fries all their useless brains.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Son of Rodney posted:

I realize right now that I somehow missed a lot of the plot with the voodoo boys, but I was under the impression that they thing ais will break through the black wall anyway, and they want to be on the winning side when it happens.

That is their belief, yes. They are actively hoping to find a friendly AI that will protect the VooDoo Boys from the RABIES and other destroy-all-human AI's because they believe the AI's will eventually tear down the blackwall and destroy humanity (mostly because the corps can't stop loving with the blackwall and trying to control the AI's on the other side/get to Bartmoss/Spider/other legendary netrunners hack and or info cache's to use against each other.) They are wrong for several reasons, not the least of which is that most AI's couldn't give two flying fucks about humanity as long as they stay on their side of the blackwall and don't try to turn off whatever 50 year old server/smart refrigerator that AI happens to be living in at the time.

They are really hoping that some of the AI's are intelligent enough to recognize that the Hatians were also slaves to the corps, and it was the people in "high" places of human society that have attempted to enslave the AI's, and that when they do find that AI it is willing to work with them. The godhood/worship angel is from the first set of Hatian Voodoo boys, who see the AI's as the Loa, but the funeral you attend is for the last of those who saw the AI's as their old spirit gods. Brigitte made that fairly clear in my conversation with her, which is why I knew beforehand that she was 100% going to just try to kill V once she had what she wanted.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

Warring with an NPC over control of your character sounds like a nightmare tabletop experience, tbh.

It wasn't NPCs, it was the people next to you, but Wraith: the Oblivion used this idea as a gimmick and when you had a good group it was loving amazing.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Mendrian posted:

I don't disagree with either of these, and didn't disagree with it in what I posted.

The game was massively overhyped. And yeah, they deceived people with their promises. Developer promises are regularly broken. People are justified to be angry about that.

What I find curious is how times have changed. Consider, just for example, Skyrim, which we've just been talking about. It had promised features (factional civil war, dragons as 'boss fights' that aren't just lame back and forth slug matches, and more) that didn't really pan out completely. Radiant AI, too, and poo poo about that. It was basically impossible to finish it because of bugs at launch, and even today, after it's been modded to hell and back the AI still does incredibly stupid poo poo and weird bugs happen all the time.

Yet when Skyrim released, the dialog around it was not, 'we've been betrayed, worst release ever', but instead, '10/10, best game of all time'. Certainly individual people felt betrayed, and there was some discussion about bad devs; but overall, in social media and elsewhere, Skyrim was not considered a failure despite having basically the same criticisms leveled at it as Cyberpunk.

I guess my question is, for better or worse, what has changed since 2011 that this is the case.

There's also the side conversation about why exactly do developers feel the need to lie about feature sets in their games in the first place. Like, seriously, if Cyberpunk had been sold without the idea of 'most advanced crowd generation of all time' (lol) would fewer people have bought it?

A few thoughts about this: Developers have always overstated what you are going to get. Molyneux used to be famous for it, so much so that at one point he was muzzled by the company he was working for and just told not to do interviews. Usually they are talking about the stuff they are working on and can't see themselves either A) not finishing it or B) not getting it to work with the hardware/other game systems. Most savvy gamers expect everything they buy to be overhyped and not live up to promises. That said, the longer the active dev cycle (from the point where we know the game is being made to the point it is released) the more hype tends to build and the less people are willing to accept cut features. This game was announced what? Seven years ago - that's seven years for rumors to grow about what will be in the game, both what devs talk about doing and then can't make functional and what other gamers claim will be in the game. The longer a game goes, the worse its reception is likely to be. Several companies combat this by very carefully controlling press releases (EA does this - devs usually have pre-approved talking points about finished features, which is why it generally doesn't seem to matter about who's being interviewed about the game, the information always matches). Other muzzle their devs and don't let them talk about the game at all, and only communicate through press releases until the game is almost finished. Sometimes you don't hear about a game at all until its almost done (about a year seems the general time frame) because a lot of production companies have seen what happens when hype builds. CDPR is hitting that wall for the first time - no one cared about their previous titles aside from a small niche of fanboys, so there weren't people to get incredibly upset at cut features from Witcher 3.

The second thing is the rise of early access; games are getting released feeling less and less complete. PC gamers are somewhat used to this, and PC storefronts tend to clearly label Early Access or whatever their version is. Console gamers, on the other hand, are in the first real generation where games are just getting released to be fixed later. To make matters worse, the last console generation did the weird half step thing where there are multiple versions of the console, some of which are significantly more powerful. That means releasing for Xbone/PS4 requires you to significantly undercut what you COULD have if you just released for the One X or PS4 Pro. I think this is probably the big problem here - the loss of processing power meant cutting a significant amount of things happening at one time in the game, which is why you wind up with weird things like the AI only pinging for noticeable people something like once every ten seconds. They never really got the game to function well on the original consoles, but they don't want to abandon the Xbone/PS4 audience because Pros and One X's make up a very significant portion of the population. This could have been avoided if they were allowed to sell the game for One X/Pro only, but I can't see Sony/MS walking back their promises that games would just be better on those consoles, not exclusive.

Finally, I think that Cyberpunk is the straw that broke the camels back - it was very hyped, it sold a metric fuckton of copies, and people were not ready for it to effectively be an early access style release. This isn't the first time its happened, one of the reason that MS used to have a policy of only two free dlc's/patches was because they didn't want the Xbox to wind up like a PC, where people were releasing whatever they had and fixing it later once they couldn't convince the suits to give them time to finish. Cyberpunk brought a very large number of issues that have been plaguing games for a while to a head - and it came from a company that had sworn up and down that it wasn't going to be that way. I do think quite a bit of this could have been avoided if their last month of delays had seen people stating "hey, this game will run like crap on the old consoles. Run, yes, but like crap." Instead, they showed custom footage trying to reassure everyone that it was fine.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

they're not quite chapter and verse, but they're pretty close. The raid on the Arasaka Tower is the last part of the last adventure published for CP2020 2.0: "Firestorm: Shockwave". In the adventure, Johnny successfully gets to the datacenter containing Alt's engram (it was a rescue mission, not a revenge/suicide) and dies to Adam Smasher's shotgun while buying the group's netrunner enough time to find and eject Alt into the larger web to save her. The bit that plays out in the game, where someone fights a duel with Adam Smasher while the bomb is counting down, is done by Morgan Blackhand in the original adventure, on account of Johnny being blown in half.

Also in the adventure, Yorinobu Arasaka has been Soulkilled by his brother Kei* and his engram is one of the possible rewards for completing the mission. Other than that, it's basically exactly like it plays out in the game.

*2077 never really gets into it, but the reason Saburo hates Johnny so much is that Johnny's bomb killed the proper heir to the Arasaka fortune, leaving him only two daughters and a useless rebel son.

quote:

V not likely to survive

there are a bunch of hints that V has a chance if she survives - the Aldecaldos have a ton of contacts, one of the newscasts mentions that one of the pharmaceutical companies has developed a cure for Lupus which is very similar to what is happening to V, etc. The Heist at the end of the Blaze of Glory ending indicates that V might be able to find a cure on the space station/casino as well. The game leaves a glimmer of hope at the non-arasaka endings (because gently caress you if you teamed up with Arasaka) that V has a chance.

I think it's open-ended for a reason, as it leaves them room to do V DLC if they want to, or to have V be a character in 2078 or whatever if that became a possibility.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Thead, I need advice: my generous employers have given me £50 of amazon vouchers and I feel like breaking my 'don't pay full price for video games' rule. I don't have a PC that can play Cyberpunk right now and while getting a new one is on the list, we all know that it'll be months before graphics card supply will be normalised. I do however have an Xbox Series X.

Is there a compelling reason to hold off on buying until I can experience the game on PC? Or is the modern Xbox experience good enough that it wouldn't be sensible to wait?

as someone who actually has it on the Series X, there are no problems. Game crashes are extraordinarily rare, and bugs aren't any more prevalent than in the PC.

That said, one of the things the roadmap implies is that the Next Gen patch giving Series X the actual series X features (things like raytracing and 4k/120) are pushed back until very late in the year. So you will not be getting a next gen experience until you are well and truly done with the game.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

She planned on having kids to carry on her legacy, and those plans all blew up in her face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

Patch didn't fix my stuck quest with Brendan or the shopkeeper crafting specs issue.

I have had shopkeepers get crafting specs after a wait now, specifically the one in south pacifica. I will need to go somewhere that always offers legendaries and see if those respawn or not.

OTOH the two side quests I've had bug out on me still don't function properly :(.

EDIT: Also, IRT Boxing, how many additional matches are there after Razor Hughes? Is it just the one against Ozob?