Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Their marketing people (the ones with the bigger budget than the dev team) are likely saying the same thing.

It's hard to fix a brand that has been tainted in this way. The "actually it's good now" line is a hard sell to consumers no matter how true it becomes. We gave them our first impression, money up front. People feel like suckers asking them to do it again.

Pretty much the same reason evil companies like Blackwater rebrand themselves to Academi, despite being very transparent about it and why they do it. It works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I was always skeptical of the fidelity of engrams in Cyberpunk. Like yeah Johnny sounds like Johnny and to my own flawed human brain he comes off as fully human, but so what? An AI that passes the Turing test is not "alive," it's just passing the Turing test. What I'm especially skeptical of is the "spark of creativity," of thinking of brand new ideas. One could argue that even among humans such things don't truly exist, as everything ever thought of is just riffing on some previous idea, at least partially.

But still, creating fully formed (and detailed) ideas is still something I find uniquely human and particularly difficult to code. Think of all creative decisions that come into writing a play, for example - How particular it is to it's setting, and all the human nuances of that setting, and telling a new story that re-contextualizes it's characters over a 3-act structure. A play that you'd want to release to real humans and be reviewed as a fresh take by humans, not plagiarized or coming off as randomized, but rather implying a deep enough understanding of human nature in order to both entertain and educate. It's hard to even visualize what that looks like in code form.

Maybe engrams in Cyberpunk get close. Maybe they get close enough to not matter. The tech is so new, though, and it's internals such a closely guarded corporate secret that we're never really told for sure exactly how good an engram really is. Good enough for the rich, sure, but mortality makes anyone desperate and their leaping onto the tech doesn't reinforce to me that engrams are a perfect simulacrum.

I had always thought that AI being able learn and create on our level, but through calculation speeds of their level, is essentially the singularity. So is that what's going on with Alt? If so, she seems to be taking her time. If not, then she must still be missing something...

Basically my take is that engrams are still lacking. World class chatbots, but still chatbots. A world of just engrams would be incapable of making better engrams. Or of writing a play of new ideas that spark creativity in other engrams to make their own plays, and grow as a culture of engrams. I never saw that, so I remain doubtful it's possible.

But who knows? This is fun stuff to think about. I finished this game about 4 days after it came out and haven't launched it since... and yet I still think about it and read the thread. Neat!

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

PL was fantastic.

So Mi lost me when she just nonchalantly mentioned that everyone in the stadium was probably going to die in order to kickstart her escape plan. I knew she was lying about things (just like Reed, Myers, everyone because that's just Cyberpunk) and I can take a little lying but we just had this heart-to-heart in her little hideout spot where the main theme was All Cards On The Table. She basically used the word "trust" about 100 times, yet conveniently leaves the human cost of her plan until the absolute last second. Also I saw right through that "Here's some free Relic points" bit in there too like drat girl you're really buttering me up.

She's an incredibly sympathetic character and I wanted to help, but she's in way over her head. I get that any cornered animal will do what they have to to survive and drat the consequences - she's a very relatable - but my V had to make a judgment call. Also, that Blackwall poo poo is just too scary to have lingering around.

And linger it does! It's implied that even in your brief exposure it lingers within you, and is just slowly getting its tentacles in everywhere in NC. I crafted Erebus from that bit of Cynosure tech and... drat... I've hosed around with some cursed toys in my day, but that gun LITERALLY has the devil in it. The way it kills people and the sounds they make is very disturbing.

A+ expansion, A game overall. Dinged slightly for not having a Gwent.