Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can't believe the best shitpost in human history only has 18,000 views

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I can't believe the best shitpost in human history only has 18,000 views

How did I miss this? Glorious.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Half of them are from me

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
I was very pleasantly surprised to find this on Hulu the next day. I've never tried to watch an anime series as it aired before, but I love this show so drat much I nearly shelled out for Crunchyroll premium. Glad I won't have to!

Thank you to everybody who helped explain who was fighting whom. I wrongly assumed the "alliance" must have included Paradis, and kept expecting our usual cast to show up at any moment. The first shot showing a bunch of guys in fez hats was a real WTF moment.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Maera Sior posted:

I'm Jewish through both sides of my family, but that doesn't mean that I look like my ancestors who left the Middle East. Ashkenazi Jews have a not insignificant amount of European ancestry because despite all the social forces, there was intermarriage. My mother's father's side was from the Pale and old photos show them looking substantially Russian, whereas my father's father's father was born in Istanbul. There have been name changes to try to blend in with the local non-Jewish population, or to reinforce connections to better-known families. There have been illegitimate children and conversions. If I can point to all of these happening within three generations, how much must have happened in 500 or 1,000 years?

Expecting the Eldians and the Marleyans to have remained genetically isolated from each other for the duration of the Eldian empire (or whatever it was) is ludicrous. Of course there was mixing, and that means that a large number of people who think of themselves as Marleyan actually have some Eldian heritage.

Narratively, the Marleyan government would have no reason to mention this. Their position depends upon a convenient scapegoat they can exploit, and by limiting the number of recognized Eldians there remains a group that's small enough to easily oppress. If they checked everyone's genetic background (how, I don't know) and found more Eldians than there were supposed to be within the "Marleyan" population, that would be a recipe for mass violence. Better to let things remain undisturbed. If there is someone who is making trouble they can be injected with the serum, and oh look, they were actually an Eldian all along. No wonder they were trouble. This just shows why the Eldians deserve everything done to them.

If the serum can turn anyone into a titan, the government would act the same way. Preserve a group to act as a scapegoat and claim that anyone making trouble was a member of that group all along. Just because the Coordinate power happens to be real and there's a mystical link between Eldians doesn't mean that only Eldians can be titans, but it would mean that only Eldian titans can be controlled. That is a terrifying thought.

IIRC Kruger mentioned Marley has blood testing somehow able to identify Eldians. It's not elaborated on further, but it'd make sense if it sidestepped a probable lack of genetic sequencing technology in favor of detecting unique properties of what codes blood as "Eldian", ie reacting to titan spinal fluid.

Combined with a certain King brainwashing tens of millions of his subjects possessing this same factor into following him to Paradis (with the bulk of them then turned into the Colossal Titans that formed the Walls), it's not completely unreasonable that the remaining Eldian population was small enough it could be fairly successfully concentrated in internment zones over the course of the following century.

That is not to say there couldn't be genetic Eldians out in the wild presently, but if Eldians are indeed the only ones able to titanize then rounding them up would be a matter of national security, and judging by the revanchist streak still going strong a century after the fall of Eldia, I don't believe the population would have objected to widespread rounds of testing too weed out "tainted blood", at least as far as Marley goes.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

Tibeerius posted:

I was very pleasantly surprised to find this on Hulu the next day. I've never tried to watch an anime series as it aired before, but I love this show so drat much I nearly shelled out for Crunchyroll premium. Glad I won't have to!

Thank you to everybody who helped explain who was fighting whom. I wrongly assumed the "alliance" must have included Paradis, and kept expecting our usual cast to show up at any moment. The first shot showing a bunch of guys in fez hats was a real WTF moment.

Should come out same-day on Hulu, all Funimation shows do I think.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

IIRC Kruger mentioned Marley has blood testing somehow able to identify Eldians. It's not elaborated on further, but it'd make sense if it sidestepped a probable lack of genetic sequencing technology in favor of detecting unique properties of what codes blood as "Eldian", ie reacting to titan spinal fluid.
...As stated by an Eldian posing as a Marleyan in their military police. Clearly their system has some flaws.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

kerwyn posted:

Should come out same-day on Hulu, all Funimation shows do I think.

Yeah I watched it on Sunday on Hulu (located in the US, combo plan with Spotify). Great episode :)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Maera Sior posted:

...As stated by an Eldian posing as a Marleyan in their military police. Clearly their system has some flaws.

Total speculation, I don't think this was ever addressed in the manga, but maybe shifters are special and can suppress the uncontrollable titanification of bodily fluids that regular people with Eldian factor undergo.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Glad to hear about the Hulu thing. Crunchy still has dogshit resubscription handling, insisting you’re looking for a free trial and not just trying to loving resubscribe, and blocking you from using a previously used credit card. I got in by using PayPal this time but it’s insane in the 2 years since I was last using they haven’t figured this out.

I already have Hulu so I’ll just cancel before the trial ends. What time does aot drop on Hulu?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Total speculation, I don't think this was ever addressed in the manga, but maybe shifters are special and can suppress the uncontrollable titanification of bodily fluids that regular people with Eldian factor undergo.

Kruger actually mentions that he had an Eldian doctor fake his blood tests. The lengths he had to go to in staying hidden don't mean that there's no Eldians going unknown, but it does suggest that they're rare, and generally people who make serious efforts to ensure nobody finds out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize this airs on Hulu. Thanks for the heads up, thread.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

chiasaur11 posted:

Kruger actually mentions that he had an Eldian doctor fake his blood tests. The lengths he had to go to in staying hidden don't mean that there's no Eldians going unknown, but it does suggest that they're rare, and generally people who make serious efforts to ensure nobody finds out.

poo poo totally forgot about that part

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

That sure was an episode. Lmao.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Pile of exposition in this episode, but I think I'm most intrigued by the style of directing. It's a big break from what we've seen before and I'm curious as to whether it's from the episode director or a hallmark of what we'll see until the end.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 13, 2020

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Very noticeable scarcity of in-betweens during the first third of the episode, but it was mostly just people talking so it wasn't too bad, and the scene compositions were solid throughout. I'd like more of this style.

However, comparing it to the manga they skipped an extremely important scene:

On exposition, Ymir's ultimate fate had been previously hinted at and now confirmed - Marley couldn't wait to reclaim the power of the Jaw Titan, handing it to the younger brother of the warrior who had originally held it for the Paradis mission. :rip:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Very meticulous and impressive character acting and animation this week.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

Very meticulous and impressive character acting and animation this week.

I also liked the flash of the soldier jumping off a building, followed by people finding his body in the morning. Just an echo of how much the war haunts the survivors. A grim reminder, if you will.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I hope Zeke's rear end wiping secret is revealed before the end of the series.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Another great episode. Reiner is a great character and Falco is a Good Boy. I think the change in production company is serving the timeskip and narrative shift. Things feel different and they are different.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

RubberLuffy posted:

I hope Zeke's rear end wiping secret is revealed before the end of the series.

You know that episode where Eren is experimenting with his titan powers and he brings out just his titan hand?

I'm betting Zeke has a more refined technique.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Thinking about how long the Beast titan's arms are. :hmmyes:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Sindai posted:

Thinking about how long the Beast titan's arms are. :hmmyes:

good for wiping rear end

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I can't believe Zeke is a stand-wiper.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Things I've been thinking about:

- If Jean was indeed the one buying the newspaper at the end of the previous episode, there's a clear way to switch back to the regular crew. Other than that, I'm not sure what would be a fairly natural way of doing so. The story seems pretty committed to following Gabi et al for at least another episode and going directly from the mainland to Paradis is a pretty hard tonal shift.
- Zeke is clearly up to something. It could fall anywhere between failing to disclose all his info to his comrades (they're being recorded, he's royalty) and flat-out treason (hiding his status as royalty to wreck havoc on Marley later), but we have all of two lines to work from. I did go back to last season and see that as of the conversation on the wall between Grisha and the Owl it looks like Zeke did not tell Marley that Dina was royalty.
- How the hell does this show end in a satisfying manner? There's a number of endings that aren't narratively or thematically satisfying (Eren slaughters all Marleyans, the cycle of violence continues forever, the world is destroyed by titans, etc), and the only one I can think of that I like is an overthrow of the Marleyan government and some corresponding changes on Paradis (lots of people die, but the systems are destroyed so there's some hope for the future).
- Tying the previous two together, it would be a short jump to suppose that Zeke's long con is to destroy the Marleyan state to save the Eldians as a whole via placing himself in position to take the Coordinate. It would make his war crimes more understandable, though still monstrous; if his ultimate goal is to save the Eldians on the continent and it must be successful at all costs, what does it matter if he sacrifices an island? This ties thematically into what we've seen through a lot of the show and what seems to be the thesis as stated by the Owl. Or maybe Zeke really does believe that the Eldians are better off dead and he wants the Coordinate power for that end, or some other goal I haven't thought of.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think the ultimate theme of the show is "utilitarianism is fine, but only if you have an equal chance of being the one guy that gets run over by the trolley." Zeke setting himself up to be the antagonist that claims ultimate power so he can sacrifice a ton of other people would tie into that, though it feels a bit too predictable

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
The second guy in the line of the PTSD soldiers is definitely an paradis agent. Falls down in a forced way, face is shaded so we don't see eyes and "you have your arm band on the wrong side!" which i don't think an eldian spending their entire life in the ghetto would ever forget.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maera Sior posted:

Things I've been thinking about :

- How the hell does this show end in a satisfying manner?

I think they definitely need to find a way to resolve the Titan problem where by the end of the series there are just no more Titans left. Like maybe they figure out some way of consolidating all the Titan powers into one person and then change everyone who is currently a Titan back into a normal person.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I watched all the seasons in the last... 10 days or so, ready for this final one. So many chills down the spine! Such a great show!

I'm enjoying the new season but I'm worried that were gonna spend too long with this new cast, we don't have many episodes left and I'd rather spend it with the actual characters I care about?

I have no idea how it'll tie everything up, if it even can be done satisfactorily, but the show hasn't put a foot wrong yet!

Still a lot of mysteries left as well. This new family, they have the last titan we haven't seen? The hammer titan?

Good to finally see the luggage titan. Shame it wasn't like a spy or something. Where was she? I wonder why her and Zeke didn't infiltrate like Reiner and Berdholt.

Bet Ymir wished she went back with Historia!

Gabi is related to Berdholt right?

I don't possibly see how Paradis can fight back.

That's my word vomit for now. Also, best opening is S3, best ending is S2.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love the first two eps but even with the manga wrapping up, idk how they’d fit it in a regular two cour season. I feel like we might see a movie for the last arc. Final “season”.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

DamnGlitch posted:

I love the first two eps but even with the manga wrapping up, idk how they’d fit it in a regular two cour season. I feel like we might see a movie for the last arc. Final “season”.

Reliable leaks say that the current set of episodes will not finish the series. There will either be a part 2 a year from now or a movie or two to finish it up.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Quick google says the guess right now for the first “part” is 16 eps. A weird number but 32 is much more reasonable amount to get through what’s left, possibly with a movie to cap off.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Word is we're getting 16 episodes, with 2 chapters per episode that would take us from chapter 90 to 122 or so, and the manga is currently at 135, and gonna be done probably in 5 or less chapters. So 16+10 might be enough for the whole rest of the manga.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Thank Ymir we're getting more than 16 episodes!

Just realized that so far this season is mirroring season 1, what with us learning about a new civilization while the "enemy" is invisible and unknown.

Could the king titan just make a bunch of colossal titans for the wall? Or do we not know?

Where did Zeke get all those titans that just appeared during the final battle? Did they tie up a bunch of people and place them in strategic spots? Seems silly. Also, gently caress Zeke

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Alan_Shore posted:

Gabi is related to Berdholt right?

Gabi is Reiner's cousin.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Alan_Shore posted:

Where did Zeke get all those titans that just appeared during the final battle? Did they tie up a bunch of people and place them in strategic spots? Seems silly. Also, gently caress Zeke

Presumably yes, they had a bunch of drugged Eldians hidden in nooks around Shiganshina, keeping them there for god knows how many days while camping out waiting for the Survey Corps to show up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Presumably yes, they had a bunch of drugged Eldians hidden in nooks around Shiganshina, keeping them there for god knows how many days while camping out waiting for the Survey Corps to show up.

I think the anime or the manga has a shot of breathing tubes poking out of the ground. Zeke kept them drugged up underground to be able to pull an army out of thin air. It wasn't a bad strategy.

Unfortunately for him, he underestimated both the determination of the Survey Corps and the raw talent of Captain Levi. If not for Pieck, Marley would have faced a complete loss.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

How many mysteries/questions do we have left? It would be nice to know more about Ymir and where the Titan power came from. I'd love to know more about the Reiss family. Wasn't there any OVA with a talking titan I seem to recall?

I don't see how some people with swords are gonna fight back against Marley, infiltration or not. Even the Colossal Titan would get wrecked really quickly. It's actually really shocking to go from oh poo poo it's the armored titan! to ehh blast him it'll be fine.

Why were the Reiss family operating in the shadows? They weren't ruling, were they? The military police threatened Rod when he went to pick up Historia. That's not explained.

Why did the jaw titan have an armored face when Ymir didn't? I guess Ymir went back so that Reiner and Berdholt weren't possibly punished as they're all kinda in the same boat.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

The military police threatened Rod when he went to pick up Historia. That's not explained.

Pretty sure at this point the MPs were under Kenny’s control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

JahRoo posted:

Pretty sure at this point the MPs were under Kenny’s control.

But Kenny was working for Rodd, right?