Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

DamnitGannet posted:

i bought this during the last sale and i got a few hours into it and while i really enjoyed it, i was a little confused by the lack of cutscenes. i thought the developers were a bit harsh for assuming the players remember all the plot beats. then i realized i had cutscenes turned off :downs:

haha that must have been confusing! Don't know how you disabled that. It's really fun, and I've enjoyed getting to know the characters who died instantly. The whole story about Levi squad trying to buy Levi a present was wonderful

snackcakes posted:

At first I thought Yelena was post timeskip Armin and I was incredibly confused

Why does no one know what Armin looks like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

snackcakes posted:

At first I thought Yelena was post timeskip Armin and I was incredibly confused

I thought that too and was spinning up theories of how being a shifter might influence one's human body. Then I listened to it a bunch of times and realized it wasn't Armin's voice.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

haha that must have been confusing! Don't know how you disabled that. It's really fun, and I've enjoyed getting to know the characters who died instantly. The whole story about Levi squad trying to buy Levi a present was wonderful

I turned off video playback thinking it was a streaming thing. I only realized this after mikasa started talking to me about levi beating the poo poo out of eren and I was like 'I dont think I was there for that..' Then I talked to Zackly and he was all 'oh I remember you from that scene where levi beat up eren' and that's when I realized something was terribly wrong.

Regardless, this game is proof that things would have gone much differently if I was there. :cool:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Corridor Crew did a video about the scale of the titans, really cool work! No manga spoilers, it's all good - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XC0f_wlWak

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why does everyone look like Armin!?!?

The Armin version of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcinisation

Tamba fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 11, 2021

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why does everyone look like Armin!?!?

In the early manga volumes, most everybody was Jean.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Pththya-lyi posted:

In the early manga volumes, most everybody was Jean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1zvX4IqNNo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Conspiratiorist posted:

Is Potato Girl still the best?

Always will be.
Having finally had a chance to watch S4, the answer is yes.

I felt so lost when the season started, like "Who the gently caress are all these people?!" But I let the story play out and all was revealed.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://youtu.be/vQehygKHks0

January 9th for the final final season.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I keep hearing that the manga had a very strange/bad ending and that has me bummed out. I'm committed to staying clearing of actual spoilers until I can see it myself though. In animated form, as god intended.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I heard the same thing about the very good season we just watched so I will form my own judgment. The anime has improved on the manga several times anyway.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I heard the same thing about the very good season we just watched so I will form my own judgment. The anime has improved on the manga several times anyway.

I really liked the manga right up until the last couple chapters, then felt it really fell apart at the finish line, for whatever that's worth.

I think the anime is probably going to handle the ending better, especially since they already cut some foreshadowing from the manga that didn't pay off, but it's going to take some work to smooth out the rough edges.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've stuck to the anime from the start so I'd be a dang fool if I gave in now.

Plus I feel like I am good at reading the general vibe when it comes to reactions to anime/manga endings and whether I'll enjoy them or not, and I feel pretty optimistic about this one.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I felt better about the manga's ending after they released the extended version - which is funny, because it seemed to make everyone else's opinion of it even worse. If the anime goes with the revised version that was included with the physical release, I'll probably be okay with it. But I also suspect the anime might just get an original ending.
Keep in mind that opinions of the manga's final arc were mostly very positive until literally the last chapter. To the point where I think it's totally possible to just stop at the end of the penultimate chapter and leave it there, if you like.
Bottom line, make up your own minds, and try not to let the opinions of internet randos get you down. :thumbsup:

chiasaur11 posted:

I really liked the manga right up until the last couple chapters, then felt it really fell apart at the finish line, for whatever that's worth.

I think the anime is probably going to handle the ending better, especially since they already cut some foreshadowing from the manga that didn't pay off, but it's going to take some work to smooth out the rough edges.

I think it will go over better in anime format. I point back to serumbowl - when that chapter was first released, it was hated. When season 3 got around to the episode in Midnight Sun, it became one of the most treasured episodes of the show. Presentation and pacing counts for a lot, and can really help sell poo poo, even with seemingly minor changes.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 20, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The ending of the manga is a disaster even with the extended cut(but is excellent right up until then for the most part), but if the anime fixes a few things in the finale, there's a chance they can come out of this with a decent conclusion.

The final chapter was genuinely a "first placer collapsed at the finish line" level of bad, but I will give the anime a chance to hopefully finagle something better out of it.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

+1 for the manga being really great up until the last chapter or two, and I think/hope they will handle things differently here.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

The ending of the manga is a disaster even with the extended cut(but is excellent right up until then for the most part), but if the anime fixes a few things in the finale, there's a chance they can come out of this with a decent conclusion.

The final chapter was genuinely a "first placer collapsed at the finish line" level of bad, but I will give the anime a chance to hopefully finagle something better out of it.

It is honestly a great ride, especially with what’s coming in the first half of this season being the peak. Anyone watching it will enjoy it until i think the last episode. Even then who knows how the anime will handle it, it might salvage the ending somehow.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Also, some of the best stuff in the series is still to come in the next season.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Beefstew posted:

I felt better about the manga's ending after they released the extended version - which is funny, because it seemed to make everyone else's opinion of it even worse. If the anime goes with the revised version that was included with the physical release, I'll probably be okay with it. But I also suspect the anime might just get an original ending.

I don't think there will be an outright original ending, but other than that, I'm actually with you. I still think most of the last chapter sucked, but the extended version made me feel like it was able to complete itself thematically, even if a lot of the plot proper felt like a mess.

And yeah. At the second to last chapter... well, a spent a month incredible tense, because it could have ended really well or really poorly, and both possibilities seemed in play.

(Sadly, it did not end really well.)

It also felt like it was an ending Isayama swerved to pretty late in the game, which is a big reason to expect the anime to do better. Just having more time to smooth out the details can often take a pretty bad plot beat and make it perfectly acceptable.

But yeah. We'll see what we see.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I haven't given a second thought to this series since the end so the December rewatch is gonna feel fresh :v:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I don't think there will be an outright original ending, but other than that, I'm actually with you. I still think most of the last chapter sucked, but the extended version made me feel like it was able to complete itself thematically, even if a lot of the plot proper felt like a mess.

And yeah. At the second to last chapter... well, a spent a month incredible tense, because it could have ended really well or really poorly, and both possibilities seemed in play.

(Sadly, it did not end really well.)

It also felt like it was an ending Isayama swerved to pretty late in the game, which is a big reason to expect the anime to do better. Just having more time to smooth out the details can often take a pretty bad plot beat and make it perfectly acceptable.

But yeah. We'll see what we see.

There's stuff in the end credits of season 3 that wasn't in the manga at all and we still have no idea what the gently caress it was about, so I'm expecting something like that.
And yeah, I agree that the very very very end was uncharacteristically messy, but took solace in the fact that the extended ending, despite being very brief, better understood the tone and themes of the story overall.
Without spoilers, obviously: was the reception in the manga thread that the extended ending was an improvement, however slight? I stopped visiting it because it became a bummer. But it seems like every other community, even the ones that embraced the first ending, loving loathe the extended cut.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!
The manga ended to my satisfaction and in accordance to the direction it'd been heading, and the few extra pages only further nailed it down.

I have much more elaborate thoughts on it, but I believe any further discussion on the ending would only engender preconceptions on the anime-only watchers here waiting for the new season, so I'll request discussion on it is put on hold until the show actually wraps up.

Plus controversies aside, pretty much everyone agrees this last stretch is one hell of a ride, so let's just allow people to enjoy it for what it is, and for the manga readers to perhaps experience the story from a fresh perspective.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I liked the ending more after the extended few pages, it’s about what I expected but whatever, the ending is the least important thing, im just really excited to see some major scenes in beautiful animation :woop: already know which parts are gonna make me cry like a baby

Sorry my dumbass didn’t see the ending discussion request until after I posted

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’ll watch the final final season for the cool choreography and music but I no longer expect anything out of this series since the manga ended. It is thematically bankrupt.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Endings are hard to write.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

This isn't the manga thread.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
yea but the anime just announced its final season which has a lot to do with the manga and everybody's been pretty cool about not spoiling anything

pretty happy to see the anime ending

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
This thread is becoming a real attack on attack on titan

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Manga-related question: does it ever address the fact that (in the anime) Eren, Armin, and Mikasa never seem all that curious about where Grisha is following the initial attack on Shiganshina?

I could see Eren knowing subconsciously and sort of burying it mentally, but the other two don't bring it up at all.

a seagull fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 21, 2021

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Chill Mayo Hater posted:

Manga-related question: does it ever address the fact that (in the anime) Eren, Armin, and Mikasa never seem all that curious about where Grisha is following the initial attack on Shiganshina?

I could see Eren knowing subconsciously and sort of burying it mentally, but the other two don't bring it up at all.

Its been a hot minute since I read the manga but i dont recall it coming up like that. i kind of assumed everyone figured he was dead since he would have reached out otherwise, maybe got caught up in the titan attack or whatever.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Chill Mayo Hater posted:

Didn't the anime cover this part? It's when Grisha goes a stompin' on some babies and steals the Coordinate so Eren definitely knows.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Chill Mayo Hater posted:

Yes, they find out he killed the royal family in season 3 and that he passed the power to Eren. Historia and Eren then speak with the military about it.

Every time something important like that comes up , they generally share it with the authorities as soon as they can, which prompts a pretty fast response on their end to finding a solution.

The only thing Eren did not share was that he had found a way to renounce the vow in order to save Historia, but then tells them anyway later

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!

Chill Mayo Hater posted:

It is, in fact, but gets nixed in the anime because the order of events is different.

The manga begins with the Fall of Shiganshina as it was in the anime, but it cuts to an end after Eren & co get on the ferry and skips to the prelude of the Battle of Trost (skipping the Training Corps arc, which instead happens later as a flashback before the epilogue to Trost). So Ch. 3 has the trio meet Hannes on the eve of their graduation:

As a sidenote, the OG order of events also means the members of the 104th that went on to become recurring weren't telegraphed as such before the bloodbath that was Trost.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Endings are hard, and the ending was bad... but we're about to get my absolute favorite cliff hanger ever ever ever that spins in the loving craziest way ever and it rules so hard.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

This is the anime thread, cmon guys.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
https://twitter.com/RepGosar/status/1457493879003963398

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

thanks, i hate it

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I knew it would be cringe, but I didn't expect it to be that evil

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!