Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

QuarkJets posted:

That said, from the jump it seems very clear to me that the series glorifies fascism, at least a little bit at first and then pretty strongly later on. It's something that's easily ignorable in season 1 because that's a lot of military training and titan fighting, but as the show goes on it that becomes harder to do. The series begins with "Our race (humanity) are besieged by an extremely powerful but incompetent enemy (titans)", a core tenet of fascist ideology. Sometimes aspects of this ideology are portrayed in a negative light (the military police). But by season 3 the survey corps (e.g. the army) are being glorified by the people and the goal of the series pivots to Lebensraum, and the protagonists accomplish that goal (yay Lebensraum!)

I am so confused by this. Not even the subtext, the literal text itself refutes this, constantly and explicitly saying and showing how these ideologies destroy and dehumanize not just enemies, but the fascists themselves. I mean, the show even goes so far as to show how every single "mindless" titan is actually an innocent civilian literally pressed into service by a nation they don't even live in. The show has been overt in showing us how these ideologies take good, innocent people (children) and turn them into :airquote: inhuman :airquote: monsters capable of mass genocide.
:confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yes but it "glorifies the military" you dummy

You absolute clown

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
someone post the Gabi shooting over the "critic's" head picture

again

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

QuarkJets posted:

That said, from the jump it seems very clear to me that the series glorifies fascism, at least a little bit at first and then pretty strongly later on. It's something that's easily ignorable in season 1 because that's a lot of military training and titan fighting, but as the show goes on it that becomes harder to do. The series begins with "Our race (humanity) are besieged by an extremely powerful but incompetent enemy (titans)", a core tenet of fascist ideology. Sometimes aspects of this ideology are portrayed in a negative light (the military police). But by season 3 the survey corps (e.g. the army) are being glorified by the people and the goal of the series pivots to Lebensraum, and the protagonists accomplish that goal (yay Lebensraum!)

While the series does begin with "humanity is besieged by an extremely powerful but incompetent inhuman enemy," it almost immediately pivots to "they're almost certainly actual humans" and then "yes, they're human" and finally "more over, they're explicitly kin."

That is an important thing to note.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
This is beside the point but I would argue that the titans are really loving competent at what they do.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The first chapter is the military getting its rear end kicked and Shadis breaking down in tears saying they all died for nothing. The Garrison is drunk and useless and Hanness flees. Even when humanity starts taking things seriously after the 104th graduate most of the Garrison still die holding the point and it takes a complete blindside no one saw coming to save them.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the show starts under a basic premise that is straight out of fascist propaganda, and then slowly but surely exposes every element of that original premise as a lie manufactured by fascists for the purposes of keeping themselves in power

QuarkJets posted:

Then season 4 happens. The series shines a negative light on the antagonists, who are basically Nazi Germany, so there's that. The armbands are obviously not being portrayed as a good thing. These points are clearly very much opposed to fascism. But by the end of season 4 part 1 a bunch of characters are saying (paraphrased) "it would be really good if Eren could sterilize the entirety of our tainted race". This is complicated by the fact that the Jaegerists are also clearly antagonists, but then Armin, who has always been portrayed as a very empathetic and wise character, is literally moved to tears and calls this a noble goal. That's pretty hosed up!

the thing is the show makes it so absurdly painfully clear that the "it would be really good if Eren could sterilize the entirety of our tainted race" viewpoint is the result of hardship placed upon those people by fascism. it's a tragic showcase of how fascism has so thoroughly broken the oppressed that they can no longer envision an escape better than nonexistence. the people carrying this belief have been portrayed as clear antagonists as well, if sympathetic ones

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So every fiction with zombies support the fascist ideology, gotcha.

I was blind before, now I can see.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

QuarkJets posted:

I've just finished rewatching all of the episodes through part 1 of the final season, without having ever read the Polygon article. Before this I had only seen the first two seasons and remembered liking them. I had a vague sense of the "this series glorifies fascism" argument and that it was based on some reveal that happens later, but I think political ideology (even horrifying political ideology) is a good enough reason to completely avoid a piece of media; at worst it helps you to better understand the thing that you want to fight against.

Then season 4 happens. The series shines a negative light on the antagonists, who are basically Nazi Germany, so there's that. The armbands are obviously not being portrayed as a good thing. These points are clearly very much opposed to fascism. But by the end of season 4 part 1 a bunch of characters are saying (paraphrased) "it would be really good if Eren could sterilize the entirety of our tainted race". This is complicated by the fact that the Jaegerists are also clearly antagonists, but then Armin, who has always been portrayed as a very empathetic and wise character, is literally moved to tears and calls this a noble goal. That's pretty hosed up!

Then I read the Polygon article. It's Polygon, so of course it's mostly crap. It raises accurate points about glorification of the military, which I agree with. Pointing out that it has people wearing armbands, which is obviously a dumb point of criticism since that's not being portrayed as a good thing. I did not realize that Pixis was based on a real-life general who had massacred a bunch of Koreans, so that sucks.

So I guess I agree that the Polygon article is lovely but "this glorifies fascism" is also a fair point of criticism. I don't think that's a good enough reason to avoid the series.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

the show starts under a basic premise that is straight out of fascist propaganda

How? I genuinely don't see it. As McTimmy said

McTimmy posted:

The first chapter is the military getting its rear end kicked and Shadis breaking down in tears saying they all died for nothing. The Garrison is drunk and useless and Hanness flees. Even when humanity starts taking things seriously after the 104th graduate most of the Garrison still die holding the point and it takes a complete blindside no one saw coming to save them.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Alan_Shore posted:

No follow up? It was the last episode! Maybe give it a couple more episodes before saying "no follow up" Jesus Christ lol

Attack on Titan isn't fascist at all. This argument has been driven into the ground in this thread. You can't watch season 4 and think it's glorifying fascism in any way

(Indirect end of manga spoilers were here)
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 12, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Turin Turambar posted:

So every fiction with zombies support the fascist ideology, gotcha.

I was blind before, now I can see.

Regrettably, often, yes. Zombies started out as the slave's fear of being worked beyond death. Romero took it and turned it into horror of being consumed by white consumer culture. Then white consumer culture took zombies and turned it into fear of the race war.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This is at least the third separate instance of people trying to "spoil" anime watchers to convince them the show is problematic (the previous ones that come to mind are the out of context "titans are Jews" tweet and the Polygon article which references the Jaegarists stuff we just saw). What is this obsession with poisoning the well? Why can't viewers just watch the show when it comes out and come to their own conclusions?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The manga ending has brought out a lot of shitters who crowed for years about hating the series all along. Also a bunch of rubberneckers. So that's probably why you've got randos who have never or rarely ever posted suddenly showing up to be jerks

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 12, 2021

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

The manga ending has brought out a lot of shitters who crowed for years about hating the series all along. Also a bunch of rubberneckers. So that's probably why you've got randos who have never or rarely ever posted suddenly showing up to be jerks

Man, I knew that was going to happen. No one likes a "I told you so" more than people on a crusade to hate something.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

My favorite flavor of that kind of post is the kind of person who hasn't watched or read the series itself but has read all the spoilers and talks about it being a trainwreck as if they're speaking from any authority on the matter.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's the same sort of person who thinks "this thing is bad, therefore I don't need to worry about spoiling it, because I don't like the bad thing so I'm going to try to take away the mystery for them rather than let them make the decision on their own, because I'm right". Like "ending bad, so I'm going to immediately discuss it everywhere without spoiler tags since it doesn't deserve it" etc

Generally when it's about a series that is so universally terrible like shield hero, nobody cares, but that series also doesn't have a dedicated thread to discuss current and potential plot points where people have been relatively good about not being shitters and spoiling things.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I always saw Zombies as libertarian power fantasy and then eventually proof that libertarianism doesn't work.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

In the end the series had more to do with Robert Heinlein's bootstrap paradox story All You Zombies moreso than regular zombos. This is to its detriment btw.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think if you've read the end of the manga you should gently caress off out of this thread tbh

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Alan_Shore posted:

I think if you've read the end of the manga you should gently caress off out of this thread tbh

It's gonna be a long year of avoiding this.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I honestly think the thread should be closed until then. There isn’t much else to discuss until more previews come out, and until then, we’re just playing with fire.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I've read the manga and I am super excited to see the rest of this season in beautiful MAPPA animation. The action is so much easier to follow and I love everyone's performances with the voice acting. Other manga readers, let the anime folks enjoy things :colbert:

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Do the Japanese typically use their equivalent of "corps" to describe military groups?

I haven't seen a ton of anime, but on advice of a friend I watched some Demon Slayer and they also use "corps" in the name of their group. Maybe these are the only two shows that do that, and I just happen to only be exposed to them, but it struck me as a little odd. I mean it works and makes sense, I just think "corps" is an odd choice to start with, and to see it used in two separate shows got me thinking. Is that a direct translation, or is that the translator stretching because we don't have a word that's really equivalent and that's the closest we can come to their word?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm not sure of the answer but Bleach has "Corps" as well.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think it's just one of those things where it's the closest translation to a fairly common Japanese word but it looks weird because English doesn't use it in quite the same way. Note: I have no factual basis for saying this.

The one that sticks out to me is "cadre" which shows up in a couple of manga I've read and it's always struck me as sounding really clumsy

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Still waiting for someone to explain the fascination with German culture that pervades every animated series I've seen that's produced in Japan.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Still waiting for someone to explain the fascination with German culture that pervades every animated series I've seen that's produced in Japan.

It's foreign and therefore cool.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Japanese media uses foreign stuff to make their material more interesting and exotic. It just happens that the big three foreign influences on Japan in contemporary history have been the U.S.A., Germany, and Russia. :shrug:

I mean, the U.S. uses random foreign poo poo (badly) all the time in it's media, too.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Japan has historically taken a lot of influence from German culture. On top of the obvious fact they were on the same side in WW2, the Japanese Diet was named and modelled after the Prussian legislative body of the same name.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Flesnolk posted:

Japan has historically taken a lot of influence from German culture. On top of the obvious fact they were on the same side in WW2, the Japanese Diet was named and modelled after the Prussian legislative body of the same name.

Yeah, this is more what I'm looking for.

US media does use a lot of foreign influences to make something seem exotic or alien, but this is mostly used in scifi. I can't think of an equivalent where most US shows always use a particular, foreign cultural touchstone (for instance, the German word for hunter, "jaeger," appears in multiple contexts across the shows I've seen). Maybe in the early 2000s when US TV shows would use Arabic themes to identify "these are the bad guys who are up to no good."

It is so prevalent and so overt that I want there to be an explanation beyond "they were allies in WWII." The Japanese fascination with German culture goes beyond homage and into worship.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Flesnolk posted:

In addition to the Imperial Japanese Constitution being designed with help from German advisors, they were also important in modernizing the military as well as medicine. Foreign advisors left a huge mark on modern Japanese society during the Meiji Restoration.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I believe their education system is also based on the German system

nabo
Oct 23, 2010
guys, guys, i think their language is based on german too :aaa:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

RVT posted:

Do the Japanese typically use their equivalent of "corps" to describe military groups?

I haven't seen a ton of anime, but on advice of a friend I watched some Demon Slayer and they also use "corps" in the name of their group. Maybe these are the only two shows that do that, and I just happen to only be exposed to them, but it struck me as a little odd. I mean it works and makes sense, I just think "corps" is an odd choice to start with, and to see it used in two separate shows got me thinking. Is that a direct translation, or is that the translator stretching because we don't have a word that's really equivalent and that's the closest we can come to their word?

If it's 軍団/Gundan then 'corps' is a pretty standard way to translate it. It's a pretty generic term for military force branch/subdivision, akin to the Marine Corps and generally used in a pretty similar way.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Kchama posted:

If it's 軍団/Gundan then 'corps' is a pretty standard way to translate it. It's a pretty generic term for military force branch/subdivision, akin to the Marine Corps and generally used in a pretty similar way.

Thanks. From the AoT wiki "The Survey Corps (調査兵団 Chōsa Heidan?)" in case that changes your thoughts. I'd be interested to hear.

Yeah, its not an archaic word or anything, but it just used more frequently and slightly differently than I'd expect a native English speaker to use it. It's weird to explain. We certainly see it in usage with the Marines like you mentioned and the Army Corps of Engineers.

Sorry, I think I misread your second sentence. You're saying in Japanese that it is used as a pretty generic term. If that's the case, that explains why we see it so often and the disconnect I'm having.

RVT fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 13, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

nabo posted:

guys, guys, i think their language is based on german too :aaa:

:rolleyes:

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
So I got a legit gripe about the last episode. What was Pieck's plan with luring Eren where she did? Was Porco supposed to disable Eren so he couldn't transform? Was he actually trying to eat Eren and just missed?

It seems like in the past if anyone got even the tiniest bit lazy or sloppy or just overlooked the most remote contingency then things would go very badly very fast. Even just a few seconds ago you had Eren with a pinprick ready to transform in an instant, but then he seems to totally just relax and give Pieck the benefit of the doubt.

In the end it gave us a cool and dramatic transformation and face off between Eren and Marley but didn't seem to have any consequences. Also did Porco end up murdering all those other people in the crowd he was with?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The plan was to pinpoint Eren's location so that they could attempt to either secure the Founder with a sneak attack, or failing that follow up with the pre-planned surgical strike using the Marleyan paratroopers (and Reiner). Secondary objective of rescuing Falco and Gabi.

Pieck managed to accomplish most of this by getting her hands on Gabi, and luring Eren out into the open so that they could engage him directly - it'd be extremely difficult to get their hands on him if he just evacuated without even transforming, so getting him out was important.

Eren was also on his guard the entire time, as you can see from him keeping his distance and be ready to transform at the drop of the hat once they reached the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Edited out wrong info

Edit: someone has changed my avatar to what appears to be an AoT one, I can't see what it is on the app so it might be a spoiler? loving oval office

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 14, 2021