Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Alan_Shore posted:

But Kenny was working for Rodd, right?

Only on paper. Their motives were not aligned and Kenny's men were loyal to Kenny, not the crown/government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That was an awesome reveal this week

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Do we have any confirmation that titan shifters die after 13 years? Seems like maybe instead of actually dieing, maybe they get additional insight into the past/future and the Marlyans came up with the "13 years" myth to keep them constantly circulating shifter powers to new people before the old ones get memories of the true history of the Eldians, Marlyans, and Paradis. Not just what they've been indoctrinated to by the Marlyans.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Unless someone outright regrows an arm I'll probably assume they're just lucky or unusually tough before suspecting they have superpowers. And a small amount of steam can sometimes rise off people due to humidity or sweat so it's not a guaranteed sign for the shifters.

Aren't they also like 12 or something during training? Normal kids heal stupid quick.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I can't believe Reiner doesn't have a crippling fear of going underground after the events on Paradis.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Its a little understandable since Eldians exclusively can turn into giant super-powered monsters and spent most of history using those powers to rule and subjugate the other races.

"The enemy of the titans is my friend" is probably their version of that phrase.

I'm surprised we haven't heard of open genocide of Eldians yet. Seems like every nation sticks them in ghettos and uses them as slaves. My guess would be that since when a titan is killed some random Eldian gets the powers, the nation's want to keep their numbers up to hopefully be able to get it and use it in their military like the Marlyans.

With technology surpassing titans, it's probably going to be real soon that Eldians are seen as more trouble than they're worth. That's probably the realization Willy has had and is trying to avoid.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 29, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Maera Sior posted:

No, it's really not. The rulers of Eldia did that to their own people; the general populace, especially 100 years out, is entirely blameless.
If everyone in Titan-Universe acted as rationally as you think they should, it wouldn't be believable that the characters are people. Especially in a pre-WWI setting where education and communication are limited.

Look at the real world and how far back racial/religious/geographic grudges go.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Maera Sior posted:

I see the problem. You used "understandable" as "I get why in-universe this would be happening" and I read it as "I accept that this is reasonable within the show." Yes, it's understandable from a narrative viewpoint and lines up with real-world history, but it's not rational, and that's the point.

Yes, I in no way am saying I agree with them, which I don't. People should not be held accountable for what their parents, or ancestors, or vaguely related group of people did. However, I find in the real world there are a LOT of people that will find a reason to be prejudiced, which is why I understand why the Titan-universe is like it is.

I am sympathetic to the Eldians, which I think (and hope) is what the manga/anime is trying to show. I have a nagging feeling that Willy's plan is going to be something along the lines of "We just have to get back to the old ways of exterminating non-Eldians because we really ARE devils!" and if that happens I'm going to be extremely pissed.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Alan_Shore posted:

Poor Eren. Dude's hosed.

I want to know what Historia, Levi and Hange have been doing! They better not screw me over and give them like a line at the end of the series!

I couldn't help but notice that Marley has lots of sturdy tall buildings close together.

Levi: :getin:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
All they have to do is kill or convert the Marleyan shifters to their cause and bug out and every other nation will run over Marley for them.

That still puts them at a disadvantage in the long run though as there's nothing stopping the rest of the world from invading Paradis at that point.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It looks to me like the Tyburs and Erin are working together. Everything about this seems to be staged. Getting the Marleyan shifters out of the picture is so that there is no one interfering with whatever Erin and Willy have planned.

I think Willy is the Warhammer Titan and Erin attacking him is just part of the theatrics.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm wondering if the endgame is to unite the entire world, including Eldians, against Eren, then have him "defeated" somehow, and leaving the world with a happy ending where everyone gets along with Eldians like they do the Tyburs.

Having the whole thing in the Eldians district makes them very visible victims to the rest of the world. Whereas if it was happening anywhere else it would be spun as more Eldian violence towards Marleyans or whomever.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Natural 20 posted:

FWIW I thought it was Annie.

That's..... Not a bad theory.

One thing that struck me as odd was that activating the titan pit trap required cutting a rope. Why not just have a lever or something?

Well knife combat is a very Annie thing, so maybe that was a bit of a hint.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

General Probe posted:

I hate to just dogpile but that alternative music, as already pointed out, is pure rear end for what is going on in that scene.

I'm really hoping we get to see some Paradis soon as I'm super curious to find out how they've fared over the past 4 years knowing the island is safe from titans at least. Makes me think there'd be a sort of baby boom like after WW2 with the security and extra land they have to agriculture.

I'd also imagine rapid industrialization from information brought back from the mainland.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Gantolandon posted:

To some point, they already progressed in S3 – we've seen titan guillotines and crystal flashlights. Not exactly cutting-edge tech, but for something jury-rigged in the span of several weeks, pretty impressive.

The biggest thing that comes to mind is the 3DMG bazookas. Way better at titan fighting than swords ever were.

Those may have been tried but shut down in the prototype stage by the King previously.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Judging from the preview, Zeke shows up. Levi better get some sweet sweet revenge.

I will also settle for Pieck getting hosed up.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So since the warhammer titan lady was encased in crystal, and Eren was about to eat her, does that mean Eren could eat Annie while she's crystalized? Has he already?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Considering the giant spike that the warhammer titan put through the attack titans stomach at the first of the fight, I'd say the chances are pretty low.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Good episode. The kill on the Beast Titan definitely seems like a ruse, with Zeke signalling and Levi looking at his watch before hand.

It was way too anticlimactic to be a real kill. Especially since Levi doesn't typically use C4 to finish off titans. He'd just do more slicing, but the explosion is a great way to hide that there's not a body.

The survey corps having an airship is unexpected but awesome.

Eren forcing the Jaw Titan to chomp the Warhammer Titan was brutal to watch.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Alan_Shore posted:

Yeah there's no way that was Armin who led them to the pit. So was it just a random? And no way is Annie still in her diamond. And judging by Eren's reaction to the jaw titan they didn't manage to crack it open. So what's she doing?

If Gabi is killing anyone next episode on the blimp it'll be Sasha or Connie, not Levi or Armin.

There's still so much mystery HOW can this constantly have great mysteries!

I now think Annie can't be free, because if she was and she was on Paradis' side, she would have told them the Jaw Titan could crack through titan hardening.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I just had a horrible realization while making dinner.

Marley is under the impression that Eren can fully utilize the founding titans powers to turn Eldians into titans and control them, but he can't.

However, one person can: Zeke. And they're in the middle of the Eldian ghetto.

Assuming Zeke's death is a fakeout. I imagine we're going to see a whole bunch of Eldians get forced into being titans and attacking the Marleyans. Zeke will be doing it, but the world will think it's Eren's doing, and reinforcing their narrative that Eren is a huge threat.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah I am rooting for Paradis, but I'm not going to say they are "the good guys". At the most they are the underdogs, and it's always fun to root for the underdog in a situation.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
One piece of evidence would be when they airdropped Eldians onto the other countries castle and Zeke turned them into titans mid air. Eldians on the ground were running away for fear of being turned, but none of the troops in the castle turned.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The "This show takes place on Titan!" theory was so widespread during season 1.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Maera Sior posted:

I would like to say that trying to keep track of the correct spelling for character names in this show is a nightmare. Mike/Miche, Hange/Hanji, Yaeger/Yeager/Jaeger, Ackerman/Ackermann. Is this a case of the manga and anime having different spellings, changes to the spelling happening between seasons, fan translations, all of the above?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I only watch Attack on Titan for the sexual subplots that don't actually exist.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Conspiratiorist posted:

The sun is bright.

That's actually the space station that is powering the Titans

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Maera Sior posted:

I haven't had this hard of a time processing an episode in... forever, I think. There was so much crammed in there that wasn't spoken, it's making it hard to process what actually was said out loud.

Is Eren psyching himself up? Having an internal moral struggle? Is he having a break like Reiner? Having an internal struggle because of all the titans he contains?

When coupled with the other discussing how he's changed, I think he's fighting to keep a grip on reality

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Wasn't there a whole thing about King Fritz' memories being so dang powerful that every person that inherited the founding Titan immediately realized his plan was the right thing and stuck with the status quo? I recall that the last founding Titan, whose name I forget, wanted to expand past the walls and what have you but then as soon as she inherited it, she fell into line.

I think Eren is having to constantly fight back against King Fritz's memories, and eating the other titans might be helping to dilute Fritz's memories persuasion on him. Since Eren is the only person not to fall into line after consuming the founding Titan, and he also had the attack titan. It could also be a royal blood thing too, since Eren doesn't have that.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Attack on Titan but Pixis' head gets bigger every scene

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Alan_Shore posted:

Wait, did I miss this? Whose family are they with?

Sasha's

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
When Armin and Mikasa walked into the office with the chair I was expecting the worst :stare:

Luckily it was just a bomb

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Mikasa is only perfect if you look at her combat stats. Girl has some serious issues.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Marleyans are definitely Germanic leaning. Aside from the obvious architecture and clothing, their standard issue pistol is a Mauser C96 which was very popular in Germany Pre-WWII.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I like to imagine Isayama wrote different races on the sides of a die, a bunch of racist traits on another dies sides, and different cultural styles on the sides of a third. Then he rolled them over and over to make a world that everyone on Twitter can find a reason to hate.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

ninjewtsu posted:

I do really want to know how the mushroom cloud clear-nuke-imagery from paradis' use of the colossal titan fits into this

That's actually symbolism representing the Chicxulub impact irradacating the Dinosaurs (Marleyans). The atmospheric debris that blocked out the sun for years after the impact, is the same as the airship flying in at night afterwards and blocking hope for Marley

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Alan_Shore posted:

Where are the "fascism is cool and good" parts of the show, I missed those on my rewatch

Did you not see their stylish outfits?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Can you blame her? Zeke has more information, more resources, and knows what the bigger picture is. You can be a genius but you're still going to lose a game of chess if you don't know all the pieces and how they can move.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The part of this episode that hit me hardest was when Mr. Braun went on his long speech about forgiveness and then his daughter flew out of nowhere and tried to kill Gabi, who was her good friend minutes ago.

It just hits so hard how awful everything is and how hard it is to do the right thing for people that are bad through no fault of their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just got a bunch of comments deleted on a friend's Facebook page because AoT came up and I said it was good. She linked the usual Polygon article and "I watched a season and a half and read to Chapter 40 so I know what it's about".

Yeah okay :jerkbag: