Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Titans are light/solar-powered to a point. "Wild" titans become sluggish and inactive when in darkness, and Annie's reaction to the tunnel trap way back at the start showed that shifters are also at least partially vulnerable when cut off.

Add in specific things like size or ability complexity, and you can see repeated transforming wear the person down, even in daylight.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

FMA also has characters get actual mental trauma from the actions their government ordered them to do. It had a young Armstrong (I think it was him) having to create a wall to trap people for a massacre, and he was huddled on the other side covering his ears and trembling like a leaf.

Just like with AoT, nobody involved had a good time other than the explicit amoral or borderline sociopathic characters, and it's never shown to have been a good thing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Asuron posted:

I've never really thought about that. Her harsh pro military views are depicted as a good thing and given that the rest of the series codemns everything about military states, I don't get what the author was trying for there.

To be fair there, she was pretty unique in that her command post was a fortress guarding the no-man's-land between them and their northern neighbor, who they were at war with. And even then she was still openly opposed to the horrible things the government was doing (like personally killing the guy who tried to recruit her for the secret council).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

did the war result in a mass rewrite event? i thought the false history was propaganda, not magic (due to, you know, needing to work on marleyeans too). i wasn't aware there was known mass memory rewrites aside from the king keeping the people in the walls under control

The only memory wipes were on Ymir's descendants that Fritz took with him, and that was only to force a new "peaceful" life on them, away from war and persecution. Fritz brought Eldians (and some Asian/Japanese families) who were not part of Ymir's bloodline with him to Paradis, and these Eldian families became the nobility, who eventually viewed themselves as superior because they couldn't be mind wiped. Remember that they called the commonfolk "people with slave blood" and were fully willing to kill Historia and her mother to keep the actual royal bloodline under control.

Marley's (and the rest of the world's) version of history is tainted by a massive amount of propaganda, but the general events did happen (Eldia did wage wars of conquest using titans). It's been 100 years since That Fritz left the mainland, after the rest of the world rose up against the then-current Eldian Empire. Everyone outside of Paradis knows that Fritz left for Paradis after the war (the Tyburs are celebrated as heroes instrumental to breaking the empire), which allowed the remains of the empire to form Marley and other nations. Decades of propaganda, oppression, and attempts at cultural genocide will do a hell of lot to warp perceptions and knowledge of even recent history.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Chill Mayo Hater posted:

It was kinda funny seeing the Wall Titans scootin' around like lil* submarines.

Are there multiple continents on this world? They always just refer to "the continent", but that could be because it's the nearest large land mass. Others existing at least means they have a little more time to prevent global extinction.

*Absolutely massive.

The world map is Not-Earth. Paradis is about where Madagascar is for us.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

She would have been bound by the vow, since she had royal blood. Eren had to use royals as a catalyst before he could use the Founder's powers, a nice big loophole in the binding vow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Jackard posted:

Uhh why would foreign royals be affected?

There's nothing foreign about her. The royal bloodline wasn't super closely guarded until Fritz moved to the island. And even then, Historia was still born as a bastard child. The royalty absolutely left bastards all over the world, and it's only been 100 years since Fritz moved to Paradis.