Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
drat Annie, why'd you gotta be like that to Reiner? I didnt see her do anything either when Marcell got eaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Maera Sior posted:

ETA: Are we supposed to know who Colt and Falco's parents were from the scenes with Grisha and the restorationists? I'm trying to do the math in my head and running into problems. Falco is younger than Eren, so presumably their parents would have been snagged at a later date.

It's not their parents but there's a character in Grisha's memories who has the same last name as Colt and Falco. I believe it's the guy that gets Grisha to join the restorationists

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
The problem is that movies tend to take years to make and aot already had a huge drop in viewership due to the years long gap between seasons

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Homura and Sickle posted:

the four year wait and time to reflect that actually season 1 of aot was not great completely blew the series hype load and then it recovered to be the biggest not-demon slayer property alive anyway so i can't imagine thats a huge concern for them by now

I guess Im projecting what happened to me with gundam unicorn that by the time the movie came out I had no idea who anybody was or what was happening so I lost interest

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The weird magical Japanese thing is one of the plot elements I mentioned earlier as being some of the stuff from season 1 that doesn't make sense if you go back to it knowing what the whole story is. When Mikasa is first introduced the fact that she and her mother are part of this strange exotic Asian race amongst the pseudo-German/fantasy Euro other protagonists kind of works because you still think that these people are living in some kind of post-apocalyptic fantasy world, and a Japanese manga writer making a Japanese girl into some kind of magical* uber-woman is fine. It kind of falls apart though when the reveal is made that there is, in fact, a real mid-20th century Japan out there and that it's people are just normal human beings like everyone else.

*Yes, I'm aware that she's magical because of the Ackerman thing, but early on the show makes it seem like the "Eastern Clan" and the Ackermans were both crazy magical guardians of the king.

It gets explained later

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

There was a time when novels could write about two dudes who went through some poo poo and came out appreciative of each other without it being gay, especially in a war setting. It's kind of like a deep friendship or a familial connection. Since the internet exploded, you can't write like that without everyone automatically thinking they're gay.

It's more likely Levi thought of Erwin as a father, since he didn't see much of a father figure in Kenny.

Their relationship is intentionally vague enough that its open to any interpretation that suits your fancy. If you dont want it to be gay then its not gay, just dont freak out if people choose to interpret it differently

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Take this with a grain of salt, but I read somewhere on the internet that sasha's last word wasnt niku (meat). What she was trying to say was Niccolo

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Captain Hotbutt posted:

With all the talk about how they're going to fit the rest of the manga into the last season (movies, a second part), I wonder if they're making an anime-only ending? I haven't watched it yet and don't want spoilered on the details, but I've heard that The Promised Neverland's 2nd season is taking big diversions from the manga itself to speed the story up.

Is that possible here? I haven't read AoT's manga either, and I don't want everything that comes after this rushed. :shepicide:

theres 0 chance of this happening

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

NBC recently put the whole series on their streaming program, along with a bunch of extras and deleted scenes. I don't understand why more streaming platforms don't put up extras for their content, people really love it.

To bring it back to AoT, what kind of bonus content would you want to watch? I'd be interested in a "Making Of" mini-documentary and something where an MMA fighter talks about the fight choreography.

https://youtu.be/4FWpJ2NMjzU

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

That scene was so gloriously dumb. It almost felt like the anime was saying "whoever has the most cut cumgutters is clearly leader."

The goal of the Eldian Empire is to achieve twink supremacy

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are polygon the ones who started that false stuff about the military general the author liked being some big WW2 war criminal despite dying before WW2 even started? Or did that just spring up on twitter.

I believe that came out in an interview when Isayama talked about his inspiration for Pixis

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Ksaver sounds like a regional dollar store chain

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I think Onyakopon's line about different races existing because god wanted them to be born sums up AOT's thoughts about race and racism pretty well.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Pretty much no one is 'good'. They are all at this point fascist ideologues who are wanting to rule the world for their own perceived righteousness while innocent people die by the hundreds if not thousands.

drat thats wild. I wonder what Isayama means by that?

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I felt like Olivia was strangely depicted as a bad rear end for being able to do war crimes without breaking down and crying like her brother

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Asuron posted:

I've never really thought about that. Her harsh pro military views are depicted as a good thing and given that the rest of the series codemns everything about military states, I don't get what the author was trying for there.

I guess it shows that not even Japan is immune to we need more women fighter pilots girl boss feminism

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Its problematic if you think that good media should be didactic and that the main characters actions are reflective of the authors real life political views.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
All Eldians are connected to each other through Paths and therefore share memories and biology, thats how Zekes euthanasia plan is going to work. The attack titans ability seems to be a greater control over memories shared through Paths

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I dont know if Zekes record against Levi who's a freak of nature and possibly the best titan killer in the series is an accurate indicator of Zekes fighting skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I was thinking the other day about the "AOT is fascist" pseudo controversy and while I know the series is very much not fascist it made me wonder what the big deal would be if it actually was. I dont believe media has that much of an effect on peoples political leanings plus the wests entire cultural output for the past 20 years has been superhero/military industrial complex propaganda wank. Is it impossible for people to wrap their heads around enjoying a piece of media that they disagree politically with?