Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It could be that Kenny didn't really understand the full picture yet and believed that he would be able to take control and locate the Founding Titan much more easily than he did. Eventually when it became clear that Eren had it and was actually friends with Historia she actually became their best shot at capturing him so he played along with Rod. Rod likewise played along with Kenny but both were intending to control the power in the end.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I don't think Annie is nearly as heartless as she presents herself as. Asking Reiner if he's sure he's ok with killing 'your friends' seems like she's really trying to get out of doing it without actually saying it to me. Especially since Reiner replies that he keeps telling her they're not his friends which makes it sound like its something she brings up a lot.

I do buy that she loving hates Reiner though.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

Who did Eren contact?

Judging by him getting sent a baseball glove back, I'd wager at least one of those letters went to Zeke. They set up that he was potentially planning something last episode after all.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 28, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Titans in the first 2 seasons definitely had that 'squirm in my guts' terror that stopped being a thing in season 3 after the protagonists moved on to facing human threats more and more. It's not that the Titans got less strong, they're just not the main threat anymore.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Calling it "The Final Season" so overtly makes me think there's no way they could get away with ending it on a cliffhanger and finishing it with a movie. That would be a pretty dick move imo.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Disclaimer: After last episode I caved and watched up to this part in the manga because I'd been spoiled on it and I've been super impatient to get to it this whole season.

It's interesting that Willy seems to fulfill the 'self-hating jew' archetype, outright saying he wishes all Eldians would disappear. The Tybur's seemingly have been completely isolated from other Eldians for 100 years living in high society and have spent it all passing down the knowledge of the horrible crimes of the Eldian Empire so it makes sense that they see all this as deserved punishment without considering the abject cruelty and human cost of the Marley they've built. Also this just reinforces that the Tybur's really were the true power in Marley. There was no mythical hero, probably just some guy they had pose for the paintings and statues.

Eren just straight up destroying a building of innocent people definitely hits the mark on war making monsters of everyone but at the same time he did at least wait until after Marley declared their intention to annihilate his people. Considering the hundreds of thousands of deaths they've already caused it's hard for me to really condemn him on this one.

Neat parallels: Eren visibly reacts when Willy says he wants to live because he was born into this world, which is almost the same thing Eren's mother said about him. Also Eren's 'I'll keep moving forward' is the advice Reiner gave him in the flashback 2 episodes ago, lol. I don't even feel bad for Reiner, he totally deserves all this.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 11, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

What Eren needs to control the founder is explained but I can’t remember if it’s been covered yet.

It has, but Marley doesn't know he needs to be touching someone of royal blood and only Eren figured it out. All Marley knows is that Reiner and Bert saw him controlling them and he has the Founders power so I'd guess they're going off of that.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

Yeah, this was covered and I figure that while Marley doesn't know, the Tyburs do know and certainly whoever holds the War Hammer Titan would have the memories that show it.

I'm not sure if there would have been a situation before where the Founding Titan wasn't being held by the Fritz family, so it could be they don't know. Willy seemed to be pretty genuine here to me, he was risking his life for this and was super nervous and emotional.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I also remembered that this isn't the first time that Eren destroyed a building full of innocent civilians. Even Annie was horrified in their fight after he just threw her into a church.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm wondering if the endgame is to unite the entire world, including Eldians, against Eren, then have him "defeated" somehow, and leaving the world with a happy ending where everyone gets along with Eldians like they do the Tyburs.

Having the whole thing in the Eldians district makes them very visible victims to the rest of the world. Whereas if it was happening anywhere else it would be spun as more Eldian violence towards Marleyans or whomever.

My previous speculation for the endgame would be that the heroes destroy all of Marley's stores of Titan serum and all ability to manufacture more and get the Collosal Titans in the walls to clean up the island of stray Titans and then walk into volcano's or Levi or something. With all the Titans on Paradis dead and no more able to be made, all the Shifters would just let themselves die naturally without passing it on to finally get rid of all Titans in the world and rid all the 'taint' from the Eldian's.

But I feel like that's too optimistic for this series. The 'good one' Willy Tybur said he wished the Eldians would be wiped out and apparently the rest of the world makes Marley look kind towards them. I think that with their use as war assets diminishing and without the threat of mutual destruction that the walls represent the world would probably just wipe out the Eldians if they had the chance. There needs to be some assurance for the Eldians to be able to survive.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 11, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Sindai posted:

If they do that doesn't it just go to a random Eldian baby somewhere in the world?

If that's how it works I've completely forgotten and the Eldian's are fuuuucked. You'd need to do some crazy time travel poo poo to get out of that one.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Tapet posted:

Not from our perspective of course. But from the perspective of those innocent families in the house above, he sure is. Which is what he is acknowledging, I am sure.

If we want to take some kind of semi realistic approach, I am pretty sure that he could have gone outside the house before he transformed. No one knew he was there, and it takes just a few seconds while outside. Would Reiner and Falco try to stop him? If they did, he could easily just transform then and there. But I doubt they would even try, Reiner is mentally destroyed just seconds earlier and Falco is just a kid. No there must be a reason he wanted to transform while under the house. Pretty sure that reason is to show the viewers (us) just how little he cares for anything anymore, even innocents, and how totally broken he is morally. He really crossed a line here, dare I say way worse than Reiner, Annie and Bert did during the first wall breach, since they were just kids at the time with almost no real info at all. Eren is what, 19? And knows at least as much as we do, and he still did it, seemingly unnecessarily. I have no problem calling him an in-story villain at this time after this, certainly from the perspective of our new season 3 cast. That boy aint right.

Loving every minute of this show right now.

You can see soldiers going down to the basement they're in so Eren wouldn't have been able to go outside. What he probably could have done was not brought Reiner down there to have a talk before he transforms, which likely would have let him remain unnoticed and he may have been able to transform in a safe area. Civilian casualties are unavoidable after he transforms, but if he didn't confront Reiner he might have minimised it.

But then again, the talk did essentially 'contain' Reiner so that they didn't need to trap him like the others. Reiner would be able to ruin the plan if he was loose and recognised someone from Paradis, plus being so close to Eren transforming may incapacitate him for a good while. So who knows. And tbh, the Marleans did suspect Eren would attack and purposefully held the talks in the Eldian district next to a bunch of residential buildings. Which I doubt is a coincidence.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 15, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I really liked all the plot and character stuff this episode but I think this episode cemented for me that I do not like the increased 3d. It's really immersion breaking in a show that relies on immersion and tension and it frankly just does not look as good as the drawn scenes from this and previous seasons.

Also wow, even Magath was more concerned over the Eldian's than Willy. That dude really went hard on the self-hatred. Considering how little time we've known them, both of them are really interesting characters imo.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

Willy was being disingenuous - "Come on, they're just Eldians, aren't they? Isn't sending them to their deaths what you've been doing for years?" he says as he knowingly marches towards his own death to try and save them by scapegoating Paradis.

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm not sure that's quite... hmn.

I agree he's self-loathing, but notice how he puts "improving the reputation of Eldians" as one of his top priorities from his years of work. He also has a bunch of kids, which is more than a little hypocritical if his goal is the extinction of his people.

He's putting this in the ghetto to make the hated Eldians of Liberio into sanctified martyrs. Which requires a certain willingness to kill them.

Magath is being called on to be a bastard, with Tybur bringing up the things he's done in the past as a way to confirm he's going to do this and not blink.

I guess I phrased that poorly but what I meant was that Magath was more concerned over the idea of civilian Eldian casualties than him and Willy was the one ranting about how they're spawn of devils. Willy may be doing this whole plan to ostensibly 'save' the Eldians in the long run, but he clearly does think they're a cursed race who deserves to be punished in some way and I doubt the civilian casualties gave him much pause at all.

Also Magath did get convinced by Gabi to try her plan to avoid sacrificing the 800 Eldian soldiers. So he has shown that he'll avoid getting them killed if he can. Between him and the gate guards, I think it's interesting that they've been showing some Marlyeans who aren't totally 'gently caress the Eldian scum' lately.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I don't actually have a problem with CGI but when it's put next to traditional animation it's usually pretty jarring and immersion breaking. It's fine if it's just a few seconds or it's barely noticeable but having two different animation styles on screen at the same time really highlights the differences between them and sucks you out of a scene. You can immediately tell the difference between how something moves when drawn and when its cg.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

Also sucks to be Ymir. Leaves Historia her love behind to "atone" and ends up making everything much worse for her down the line when Ymir could have lived happily ever after and fought for her with the jaw titan's powers. The absolute dummy.

This season has imo finally clarified why Ymir went with them and ironically in hindsight makes her one of the most selfless characters in the show. If Reiner and Bert had returned in defeat having lost the Female and Jaw Titans and compromising the secrets of the outside world they almost certainly would have been replaced (eaten), possibly their entire families may have been purged and there may even have been other repercussions for the Eldian's.

Sure in hindsight it still would have been better for her to have stayed but it's also now possible to see why she made that decision and why she never considered Paradis had a chance of winning in the end.

Alan_Shore posted:

So memories, to me it looks like the shifters can only see the memories of their titans. Eren only sees his father's and Eren Kruger's memories.

He's also had brief flashes of Frieda's, which may end up being fairly important at some point.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Eikre posted:

It would certainly attenuate my frustration with how Eren seems to have bungled the acquisition of the Jaw titan if he intended to incapacitate and capture rather than just completely own him, but it would also address another frustration I had with the imposter's trap; I feel like if Arman's such a strategic loving genius then he should have done more to drop those guys directly into a pair of pure titans' mouths instead of just to the bottom of some lovely hole, or at least lured them into a blender made of Scout regiment blades to immediately incapacitate and capture them. If the person who cut the rope on that trap door was committed to taking a lighter touch, though, then those oversights seem much more elegant.

ETA: Actually, coming to think about it, remember those tranquilizer darts that the Internal Police used to capture Eren and Historia? Where the gently caress were those when the imposter was luring Pieck and Galliard away? Maybe it's unique Paradisian tech, and the plan was actually an action that Zeke organized independently. It's gonna seem like a pretty big oversight to me unless the appropriate explanations for everything fall into place. Whatever, I don't care, just give us Annie back, goddamnit!

I'd wager that if Zeke is in league with the Scouts, which is looking 99% likely now imo, he was the one who asked for them to try and leave Galliard and Pieck alive. If it wasn't for Pieck's quick thinking they'd be sitting out the entire fight safely. Tbh the idea that the Scouts could dig a massive pit in the middle of Liberio without being noticed is already pretty impressive, no idea how they could pull off anything more elaborate.

Actually, yeah it may not even have been the Scouts that did it. Beardy could be a soldier under Zeke's own command. That would explain why Pieck thought they were familiar and why they'd be wearing a disguise. There's no real point for it to be a Scout in a disguise now that I think about it. All the characters who could be recognised are accounted for (except Annie who I don't think is free). And that would explain a lot. Zeke's not a mastermind like Armin, so a big pit makes sense for him to think up. And he doesn't have tranq darts to use and wouldn't want them seriously hurt or killed. He'd be able to get a pit like this dug in Liberio since his people can enter and leave freely. The more I'm thinking about it, the more sense this is making.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 25, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yawgmoft posted:

Is there any actual confirmation that only Eldians transform when injected with Titan fluid? I mean I know a bad guy said that, but as long as they keep the Titan succession going, they could just pretend any marginal group was the one and only group that could do it. It's not like people are going around injecting Titan blood in people to ensure they aren't Eldian.

No 100% confirmation but imo a lot of the history that we're presented with wouldn't make sense if non-Eldian's could become Titans. Ymir Fritz was 2000 years ago. If anyone could become a Titan it would be implausible that that was kept a secret the entire time.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I also went and checked out that chapter. I can't believe the anime took out the part where Magath joked about expecting a full report on Zeke's special rear end-wiping technique.

Edit: Ah, my mistake.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 27, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

In chapter 93 (manga details) that was mentioned last page, Zeke mentions that the Ackermans are 'byproducts of Titan science.'

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 29, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I love that Historia would have looked exactly like that if she became the Founding Titan normally, minus the wings. It's basically just Frieda's but blonde.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

JahRoo posted:

Yeah you can't ever really justify what RBA did, but when you realize the degree of brainwashing they went through before even becoming warriors, and think about the consequences they would have faced when coming back from Paradis empty-handed, you can at least sympathize with the situation they were put in.

I can sympathise with Annie more than Reiner and Bert. She didn't play any part in breaking the walls, recognised what they were doing was wrong, objected to killing Marco and went out of her way to avoid hurting anyone else she knew at her own detriment. I can't forgive her for carrying on with the plan even after the 5 years spent in the wall or the almost playful way she killed a bunch of scouts but she's definitely the least guilty of the 3 Warriors.

I have zero sympathy for Reiner or Berthold though. They knowingly caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people and then tried it again in spite of spending 5 years on Paradis. Reiner bullied Annie into helping him kill Marco and he and Bert had no real problems trying to kill everyone in the survey corps and then go on to wipe out Paradis. None of the season 4 pity-party for Reiner has given me a twinge of empathy towards him even if I can see that he's objectively a tragic character.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

I feel like this scene was when Mikasa realized that maybe a threesome was the way out of the oblivious love triangle Eren's stuck in.

How hosed up would it be if the baby is really Eren's and its the reason he's gone full Determination mode (don't spoil if true).

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Pretty crazy to get those episodes as a two-parter.

There's a zero percent chance that Eren is actually going along with Zeke's lunatic plan. Given that in the end he's the one in the drivers seat of how to use the power, I think it's guaranteed that he's just stringing Zeke along. Forcing his people into a sad, slow extinction with no chance to fight back? No way would Eren go for that plan. I also don't buy that he hates Mikasa and Armin, he's just trying to push them away for some reason.

Also, gently caress Floch. What a little bastard.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 22, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

That's not totally true, since we've seen (accidental manga spoilers oops) both Eren and Falco have "dreams" of past and future events before they become Titan shifters. Ep1 of the first season starts with Eren waking up from a dream where you can see his mother getting eaten which happens later that day as well as Hannes' blood splatter from when he gets eaten, along with other images of Titans and some weird toys. Falco of course woke up at the start of this season dreaming about the survey corp flying around with swords and with temporary amnesia.

I stumbled on to this non-spoiler refresher on Eren's dream a while ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe05fspxYsc

The conclusion is that Titan's and Eldian's are weird af.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 27, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Aw man, after she shot that racist I was kind of hoping Yelena would go triple-agent and say "Ok, here's Zeke's euthanasia plan... and here's Eren's not-crazy plan." She's crazy and unpredictable enough that I'd totally buy her switching brothers like that. Oh well, she's still cool I guess.

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Eren for the upcoming fight. Attack + Warhammer Titan should be stupid OP. Also I just can't see Reiner winning at anything at this point. Only suffering.

VVV Lol

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 29, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

The problem right now is that Marley and Zeke are the opposite sides, so hurting one benefits the other. There's no clean path forward at this point. Just choosing the flavor of poo poo.

Also, you left out insults for Floch, which seems like an oversight.

I'm still on Team Eren until we get a full reveal and because it threads the needle perfectly in this. We get to see him crush Marley into the dirt and watch Zeke's face when Eren inevitably psyche's him at the last minute. Floch will also eat poo poo somehow, he's clearly a disposable lackey.

I wonder if next episode Armin is going to make the save for Eren or if Eren is just going to go full Demon King and beat everyone by himself. We stopped getting his perspective the second he started to lose, which always suggests an incoming turnaround.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

My memory of that s3 scene is failing me, did eren yell something at levi right before he changed his mind and used the serum on armin? Wondering if he made that choice because of the ackermann bloodline thing (in which case mikasa is probably loyal to eren not because of a misidentified host like eren said, but because he's the coordinate)

He yelled a lot but Levi was going to save Erwin anyway before Erwin talked in his sleep.

The Ackermann thing is BS, Levi has never had a problem kicking the poo poo out of Eren or dunking on him in general. I'm fairly sure Eren has tried to tell him to do something before and Levi told him to get stuffed.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I thought she might feel resentful towards Armin for being the Colossal Titan and being able to stand next to these gods she worships or maybe she was pissed that Armin thought Eren and Zeke needed their help but she's so nuts who knows.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Eren's sarcasm at the start of the episode was legendary. Man was this a satisfying episode if you hate Zeke. Just 20 straight minutes of his entire world getting destroyed.

Maera Sior posted:

I was not expecting it to go like that and spent the episode alternating between laughing and slapping my forehead. All episodes have felt fast, but this one zipped past.

So, if I followed it right:
The Attack Titan is meant to oppose the status quo, which until recently meant the Founding Titan. Eren was always an angry boy, but it took over his personality once he took the Attack Titan and he's been trying to wreck poo poo ever since, whether that was going outside the walls as a scout or being willing to slaughter civilians to give his side an advantage. Not sure how the Attack Titan impacted Grisha though, since he spent a lot of time just gathering information and not acting. Or maybe this indicates Eren is just using this the Attack Titan as an excuse to be reckless and he's using the connection to his father to force events into what he wants.

Honestly at this point I'm wondering if the whole idea of the Attack Titan opposing the Founding Titan isn't just caused by Eren sending his anger through time to all the previous wielders, kind of a reverse of the Kings vow. I think this episode was very strongly showing that nothing is influencing Eren, he's the one influencing everyone. He was definitely doing it to Grisha and at least partially to Kruger. Looking back on it now, the scene where Kruger tells Grisha he has to have a family (make Eren) to save Mikasa and Armin is pretty suspicious now.

Edit: Lol, beaten.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yawgmoft posted:

the Attack titan can see into the future. It is clearly Eren influencing the Titan through time, but if he has knowledge of the future that is less fragmented than his predecessors this might be all in the benefit of the endgame which, Eren being a little angry hell demon aside, he has shown enough random shades of humanity that all might not be lost for some form of peace. I think in the end this may come down to what we learn next week.

Yeah, I still believe in Eren at least enough to say he's not completely evil. Whatever his plan is*, it's still the case that he's doing it to save the people he cares about. He has Kruger say that the mission is to 'save Mikasa, Armin and everyone else.' He did freak out when Sasha died, even if nobody caught it. When Zeke screamed, Eren actually tried to stop him. I think he just has an extreme 'us or them' mentality. Like when he killed the bandits, he felt zero remorse. To him, they were dangerous animals that merely happened to look like humans.

* Probably just the Rumbling tbh. Nobody seems to have seriously considered it because it's so horrendously monstrous but this episode really wanted to show that Eren in the person who goes all the way no matter what.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 31, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Sockser posted:

Marley was going to try to attack Paradis, once the Founding Titan was secured.

Annie could've maybe done it but Reiner and Bertholdt would have just bumbled around and died before getting to the royal family.

By 'bumbled around and died' I think you mean 'break open the walls and let the occupants get eaten until the King showed up or everyone is dead' which was their plan until Eren turned into a Titan. Which never would have happened even if Grisha didn't kill the royal family, since the King wanted everyone to get eaten as 'punishment'.

Eren may be a monster, but he is also fighting against the genocide of his race. Whatever he might be thinking of doing, his current crimes pale against the untold millions of deaths the Wall King is responsible for or the 250,000 deaths Reiner and Bert are. Zeke's plan is also literally genocide and he's also personally murdered probably hundreds at this point and shown casual cruelty when doing so. gently caress all of them.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I doubt Frieda could do anything but I'd bet the Founder Ymir isn't as much a mindless slave as Zeke thinks. She at least had enough initiative to save him at the start of this season without any prompting. Considering she had all the titan powers when she was alive and they all split from her, shouldn't she have been able to see the future too?

Also I don't think Eren has anything sinister planned for Historia. His whole plan seems to have happened because he refuses to let her become a royal blooded titan and pump out babies for 13 years, which was what the militaries plan was iirc.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 2, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

I suggest people give the S2 ED a rewatch before the next episode.

Sounds like a good call. It seems to be a fairly linear timeline of the world as we now know it.

- Huge stretch but The Devil of All Earth is blonde with long hair and a beard, kind of like Zeke's current look. Also is that Mikasa's red scarf on the right? Clearly a depiction of Ymir's deal with the devil in either case. It has blood on it.
- Big female Titan facing some warriors, maybe Ymir showing off her abilities or something. She's coming out of the sea, which is bizarre.
- Flashing images of some cans and numbers. 345 I think. Could be the cans Reiner and our Ymir found. No clue on the numbers.
- 3 kids eating flesh + 6 jars of flesh = 9 for the 9 Titans I guess. Ymir's power being split up. The skeleton has no legs.
- Titans coming out of the sea is still odd. I suppose Titans being from Atlantis isn't the craziest thing this show has done. I think this sequence is generally meant to represent the Eldian empires atrocities. You can clearly see the Colossal Titan.
- Lots of Colossal Titans walking in a line. Maybe the Rumbling has happened before? Or maybe those are the ones who form the walls.
- Lol, you can actually see photo's flashing on screen with some people in more modern clothing, followed by a woman and a man in regal attire. Maybe King Fritz at the end.
- Some kind of exodus. The journey to Paradis?
- Flowers in a field, looks like the ones where Hannes got eaten.
- More bird imagery and the sea. Probably represents our heroes finally making it there in S3.
- 8 Giants bowing to an angelic female one. Pretty obvious who these are, but considering the other images all tell a linear narrative it's odd to put this right at the end. Maybe Historia is gonna show up and be so great everyone stops fighting. Yeah, lets go with that.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 4, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Probably, but I'm not sure how much that would achieve other than guaranteeing that the entire world would unite to destroy Paradis. The majority of personnel and equipment could probably be evacuated away from established military installations before the titans got there.

True. Eren probably doesn't have information on the locations of all of these bases, but even if he did and even if he did manage to cripple the world's military they'd just move everything underground within a few months and start rebuilding there. And air power is ramping up. Soon the Rumbling won't be that much of a deterrent anymore.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 14, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

Now that we know how the titans' forms are decided, I wonder what kind of day Ymir was having when she made Reiss

Lul, imagining Rod screaming at her to make him the biggest Titan ever and she's just crinkling her nose and going 'Ew, you licked it? I'll try but you really need more spine wine for that buddy.'

It is an interesting thought though. Connie's mum is actually very similar in having a body way too large for its limbs. It could be she also only had a few drops of the tainted water and if you don't get enough there isn't a strong enough connection to the coordinate for Ymir to make a full body.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I guess the remaining Marley and anti-genocide scouts remnants could team up to beat Eren, and in doing so come to some kind of arrangement for the future? Idk really can't predict how this one is going to go.

That's my bet on the ending. I think we need to have all the remaining Shifters teaming up because that's the coolest way to go but another thing I didn't think of until now is that the Tybers have been effectively de-fanged and the guy basically in charge of Marley currently is Magrath, who is secretly pretty pro-Eldian and reasonable.

Having Marley and Paradis teaming up to save the world and coming to a peace agreement could work. Maybe something happens to stop Titans from being made afterward.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

dipwood posted:

Even if Marley and Paradis came to an arrangement, the people would never accept Eldians. There would need to be an extreme condemnation of Marley from within like post-war Germany for it to work, and I don't see this event really doing much to hurt their patriotism? It's not like they were beaten down for several years like WW2 and after these shenanigans their bigotry will feel even more justified. Who knows.

I like the theory that a lot more people heard Erens speech than expected and suddenly Marley has to accept that there really aren't many 'Marlyeans' left in Marley. That would neatly sidestep the whole racism thing, good luck being racist against 95% of your own population.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 18, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Man, remember when it seemed like Floch died in that cavalry charge?

That was great.

In spite of Armin saying he should be dead he's the only one who actually knows what to do right now, namely all put aside their differences and work together. Hopefully Mikasa and Jean can toss Floch out a window before that part though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Re: Eren, I think one of the most important aspects that form his current persona is that he seems to have already saw himself cause the rumbling when he kissed Historia's hand. Think back to Eren in season 3, he's still fairly normal. He's absolutely horrified when he learns that Grisha massacred kids and begs Historia to eat him to save everyone. Then he gets the mother of all shocks when he's shown the future version of himself (which you can see a flash of when he T-poses at Zeke). The reason he's so sad when he reaches the sea is that he knows he's going to have to keep going beyond it and what he's going to do when he does.

“If we kill all our enemies on the other side of the sea, will we finally be free” is just him desperately coming up with justifications for what he already knows he's going to do, like Magrath in the last episode. There definitely are some of his own motivations in there but I think the reason he's so jaded and fatalistic now is that he knows he can never be free. He's just going to have to settle for his friends freedom now, as horrific as that will be.

Personally I think this makes him much more sympathetic than RBA who were just as willing to commit genocide to save their personal loved ones but definitely had a choice not to do it. Eren essentially doesn't have that choice.