Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

DamnGlitch posted:

I love the first two eps but even with the manga wrapping up, idk how they’d fit it in a regular two cour season. I feel like we might see a movie for the last arc. Final “season”.

Reliable leaks say that the current set of episodes will not finish the series. There will either be a part 2 a year from now or a movie or two to finish it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Gaj posted:

I just realized Anne smashing the grasshopper was her trying to de-humanize her future actions of stepping on people oh my god.

She also stomps on Petra the same way.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

Roger! I guess I didn't pick up on the fact the Marleyans didn't know where the Attack Titan was.

Really great to get some Annie characterization in this episode. Still chilling in a diamond.

If haven't already, check out the two-part OVA about her being a detective in the military police. It really helps you understand her better. It wasn't written by Isayama, but events from it have been mentioned in the main manga since then, so it's basically canon.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I've actually never watched No Regrets, but I make it a point to tell everyone to do Ilse's Notebook and Wall Sina, Goodbye. I think it's kind of absurd that Ilse's Notebook wasn't inserted as a main series episode at some point, because it really has some important poo poo in it. Been catching a friend up lately, and I made sure we watched that OVA before starting season 2.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Gantolandon posted:

To be fair, he had it easier inside the walls. Having passed Warrior training and having taken part in an actual war, he was like a college student forced to take a class in an elementary school. It's easy to be the responsible and upstanding one when you are the second best soldier in your unit.

Especially since the biggest worry on their minds is the Colossal or Armored Titans attacking again, which... well, Reiner doesn't have to worry about.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Really like the idea that the entire titan invasion was something a bunch of kids had to make up on the fly after their actual leader got killed.

One scene that got cut that I wish they had included was Bert and Ernie riding on Annie's back while she lured a horde of Titans to the wall before they kicked it. And they were so not in control of the situation and like "gently caress this was a bad idea".

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The way I see it, Annie has severe anger problems (kicking Reiner to a bloody pulp, breaking her father's leg in the OVA), but doesn't want to kill people who aren't threatening her. Hence why she mainly attacked soldiers who got in her way or posed some sort of threat. Because even when she was brutal with those kills, she was still horrified when Eren knocked her into the church and made her crush a bunch of civilians. This last episode also made it clear that she doesn't believe the propaganda that Marley spews and has no sense of superiority or patriotism. She's out there entirely for the sake of herself and loved ones.
She and Armin have a bit of a modestly friendly relationship, so she probably wasn't able to distance herself and think of him as an insect
And, as chiasaur11 said, Armin and Annie's strategically reckless back and forth is a bit of a running dynamic.

The OVA is really interesting because you've got Annie struggling with why she's invested in this missing person's case when their end goal will result in everyone's deaths anyway.
And then she eats a donut. Watch "Wall Sina, Goodbye".

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 23, 2020

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Thank God, they added the scene of Pieck crawling on the ground back in.
Also, what a loving ending.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Apparently a lot of people hate the Female Titan arc, but I don't really see what's wrong with it. I certainly think it's better than Trost. It just gets outclassed by... season 2. And then again by the stuff in 3. And then again by the stuff in 4.
But I also like Annie, so that probably helps.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

2 movies could easily finish it if the anime leaves off where I think it will. 1 could maaaybe adapt 10 chapters, but they need at least 15. A Part 2 is the best option, followed by 2 movies, followed by 1 movie, followed by oh god please don't try to do the whole thing in 16 episodes.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I woke up to a thousand posts in various places complaining about the CG. I watched it and it was fine. Episode whips.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The CG is fine when it's still and really good when it's moving fast. In between it can look kinda wonky, but nothing dealbreaking.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

That was cool. I hope she make a machine gun.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The sunlight rule seems to apply only to mindless, autonomous Titans. The ones that attacked Utgard Castle were compelled to move at night because Zeke was controlling them. Reiner and Ymir had a conversation later about the rest of the Titans in the forest being able to move at night, which Reiner denied. Ymir deduced that it had something to do with "that monkey".

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

She actually left after Eren showed the power of the Founding Titan, so she knew Paradis had a hole card, and that Historia had someone who could protect her. (And, judging by Eren not saying anything about finding out the secret of how he used the Founding Titan that we saw, Ymir's a pretty good judge of character on that point. Well, she's a pretty good judge of character in general, so that's no surprise.)

Going with Reiner and Bert was primarily about, well, protecting Reiner and Bert. Eating Marcel allowed her to have five years of happiness (and to meet the love of her life) at the cost of his life. Protecting Reiner and Bert and their families from the consequences of her actions was paying them back.

Much as she tried to hide it, Ymir was an incredibly selfless person. She could have had eight more good years with Historia, but instead she gave her life for people suffering like she had suffered, finally succeeding in saving someone (anyone) like she hadn't been able to when her cult was captured.

Thank you for being the first person I've seen who understands Ymir's story. She lived a selfless lie, and was punished for it. When she got another chance she wanted to be true to herself and her desires, to look out only for herself. But she couldn't overcome her own nature, because she's fundamentally too good, able to sympathize with both the Paradis folks and the Warriors. She realizes that the true self she's trying to live is her selfless side, and the abrasive and selfish own was front she put on to avoid being hurt. And because of her capacity for sympathy and understanding, she takes the one course of action that, in her view, would save everyone - she would buy time for Eren and Historia to retreat, Bert and Ernie would avoid getting eaten by Titans, and she would be dragged back to Marley so they and their families wouldn't suffer, even knowing that it would all result in her death.
Ymir is a loving hero.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The second season was considered weaker on release, but now it seems like folks have come around on it 4 years later, and it's very well-liked. I like the second season more each time I watch it. I think it just scratches a completely different itch from the first season, and some folks weren't expecting that.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

Even though they keep showing the dead civilians and it's awful, at the same time... GET hosed

I love seeing Marley get their's

But Paradis did kill lots of dignitaries from other nations, so... that's not good

Not to mention that this is an internment zone for Eldians. The homes they destroyed and the people they killed were probably mostly innocent civilians who are likewise oppressed.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Two movies or roughly 10 episodes would cover what's left after we've finished these 16.
But yeah, the "Final Season" is not ending the series, at least not without a part 2. The current 16 episode run will take us through this arc and the next one, but not the one after.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Can Zeke turn people into titans, or does he control the titanification process after they've already been injected?

1. If he can just turn people into titans, why didnt he turn the survey corps into titans in season 3?

2. If they need to be injected first, how did he individually inject everyone in an entire village in season 2 without anyone getting away?
These will be answered later.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I loved seeing Gabi go "we're going to avenge Zeke", and Jean was like "haha, yeah, about that..."

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Catalina posted:

I feel like either people’s brains make that scene becomes something that can never be forgotten, or something that is repressed so far it can never be remembered.
I still can’t believe it made it to the anime. I’m actually glad, because it’s one of the most bash-you-over-the-head scenes that shows this series is actually one of the most anti-fascist things.

Fun fact: Manga readers were convinced that the poo poo chair would not make it into the show when season 3 was airing. Then everyone was surprised that it did.
The chapter covering this week's episode was released the following week, and we realized why the poo poo chair was essential.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Seldom Posts posted:

You're confusing plot (why she does it) with symbolic representation (what it means).

Yeah, it's pretty easy to derive meaning into anything you want if you outright ignore the text.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

All the poo poo he said is low-key racist and assuming that "dumb Japanese man doesn't understand WW2". Says the white American.
Hmmm, I wonder if AoT is commenting on American internment camps and the atom bomb at all? Nah...
Dan is legendarily bad when it comes to anime. Ever heard his Evangelion takes? He genuinely believes it's a screed about incels and that Human Instrumentality was a good thing and Shinji was bad for stopping it.
He is kind of an idiot.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Ccs posted:

Dang yeah that's pretty dumb.

I used to think Dan Olson and Lindsay Ellis were really good critics but then I read Lindsay's book as it's real bad. Assuming she shared it with them and they didn't have issues with it makes me think they were just pointing out the really obvious issues in stuff like Disney remakes and Zach Snyder garbage and don't have much insight into better work.

Lindsay's Hobbit reviews are pretty much the gold standard for video essay film crit imo, but maybe she's not as good at creative writing? It is a different skill set. But folks really should stick to their wheelhouse, as Dan has repeatedly proven.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

This very intelligent poster looked at the super white society that staged two mushroom cloud inducing Colossal Titan attacks on an enemy island nation and also put the members of that ethnic group within its own borders in concentration camps and said, "clearly the nazi parallels are about Korea and not noble and just American military of WW2."
But that's irrelevant, because pigeon-hole 1:1 interpretations are for 10th graders.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Ccs posted:

Marley appears to be a military dictatorship that is also manipulated from the shadows by those guys that Eren ate a few episodes ago.

Anyway all this drama about AoT and real world political comparisons makes me wonder why no one was freaking out about Fullmetal Alchemist and Ishval annexation and the leader who was literally called the Fuhrer whose country also had a military dictatorship ruled over from the shadows by a golden haired guy. It even sort of had blood libel what with the creation of the philosopher's stones. I guess it was missing some of the bloodline stuff.

FMA also draws comparisons between Japanese internment camps in the US and Nazi ones (Fuhrer signs order mirroring the one Roosevelt did, but for a middle eastern coded people).
FMA actually handles this issue worse because there's this dumb scene where an Ishvalan soldier at Briggs brings up his animosity on account of the whole genocide thing, and Ed is like "well, an Ishvalan man was mean to me once. I judge on a personal level. I don't see race." And I never got the sense that Brotherhood was interested in critiquing Ed on this point. FMA 03 actually did confront Ed's subliminal racism more directly, but I digress.
The thing is, using poo poo as allegory, where each thing needs to stand in for one specific other thing, and all of the relationships between the signifiers and what they represent need to be preserved - that is a really bad way to go about reading pretty much anything. All metaphors are messy. And thank God for it, because literature would suck poo poo otherwise.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Catalina posted:

Since we’re all rolling in the poo poo here, I guess I’ll come in with some more poop that I’ve touched.
Was it ever confirmed that the author said those racist things about the Japanese invasion of Korea in WWII being ok because Japan “brought civilization”, etc.? I’m not saying he didn’t, but In retrospect, the only source for that was like, “an unnamed friend said it was something he said on his private Twitter so we totally don’t have a screenshot.”

As far as I'm aware, no.
No source, no name, no screenshot, nothing. People believed what they wanted. If I'm mistaken, please let me know.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Ccs posted:

The people who think AoT is fascist probably watch Starship Troopers and don’t pick up on any of the satire.

I've said the same thing a million times, and I saw someone else also make this point on Twitter a couple days ago - only for some dumb butt to respond saying that both were fascist. Some loving people...

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Not to mention that Isayama specifically cited his inspiration as coming from the guy eventually giving up war and living a humble life as a school teacher. But who gives a poo poo about what was actually said when there's clicks to be had and Book Walker subscriptions to be sold.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Where is he? I'd love to check it out.

End of 56, beginning of Grisha's flashback.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Polygon also just reposted the exact same article, unmodified from 2 years ago, while the final season was airing.
While also putting out regular news updates about the new episodes and where to watch them.
Polygon is loving trash.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I, for one, appreciate your endless positivity.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

Haha this is my reward for saying AoT isn't fascist huh

Yeah it's 100% from the dude who was butthurt about getting probated.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I felt better about the manga's ending after they released the extended version - which is funny, because it seemed to make everyone else's opinion of it even worse. If the anime goes with the revised version that was included with the physical release, I'll probably be okay with it. But I also suspect the anime might just get an original ending.
Keep in mind that opinions of the manga's final arc were mostly very positive until literally the last chapter. To the point where I think it's totally possible to just stop at the end of the penultimate chapter and leave it there, if you like.
Bottom line, make up your own minds, and try not to let the opinions of internet randos get you down. :thumbsup:

chiasaur11 posted:

I really liked the manga right up until the last couple chapters, then felt it really fell apart at the finish line, for whatever that's worth.

I think the anime is probably going to handle the ending better, especially since they already cut some foreshadowing from the manga that didn't pay off, but it's going to take some work to smooth out the rough edges.

I think it will go over better in anime format. I point back to serumbowl - when that chapter was first released, it was hated. When season 3 got around to the episode in Midnight Sun, it became one of the most treasured episodes of the show. Presentation and pacing counts for a lot, and can really help sell poo poo, even with seemingly minor changes.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 20, 2021

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Also, some of the best stuff in the series is still to come in the next season.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I don't think there will be an outright original ending, but other than that, I'm actually with you. I still think most of the last chapter sucked, but the extended version made me feel like it was able to complete itself thematically, even if a lot of the plot proper felt like a mess.

And yeah. At the second to last chapter... well, a spent a month incredible tense, because it could have ended really well or really poorly, and both possibilities seemed in play.

(Sadly, it did not end really well.)

It also felt like it was an ending Isayama swerved to pretty late in the game, which is a big reason to expect the anime to do better. Just having more time to smooth out the details can often take a pretty bad plot beat and make it perfectly acceptable.

But yeah. We'll see what we see.

There's stuff in the end credits of season 3 that wasn't in the manga at all and we still have no idea what the gently caress it was about, so I'm expecting something like that.
And yeah, I agree that the very very very end was uncharacteristically messy, but took solace in the fact that the extended ending, despite being very brief, better understood the tone and themes of the story overall.
Without spoilers, obviously: was the reception in the manga thread that the extended ending was an improvement, however slight? I stopped visiting it because it became a bummer. But it seems like every other community, even the ones that embraced the first ending, loving loathe the extended cut.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I made this shitpost 2 or 3 years ago, but it's worth repeating:
In the Lost Girls OVA, Annie is introduced to donuts. She is clearly not familiar with them. Ergo, there are no donuts in Marley.
Before retaking Shiganshina, the scouts find "black liquid" in a pot that Zeke and Bert and Ernie were drinking. Ergo, Paradis does not know about coffee.
We finally know the union that can bring them together.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Unconfirmed word on the street is that this still won't be the "final" season and will likely cover up to Chapter 131 out of 139. Folks are suspecting a movie to finish it out. No idea if this is true, but some apparently reliable leakers have said so, and if the season is really gonna be 12 episodes, I don't think it will be able to reach the ending.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

Wait have I missed out on some fun AU shenanigans by not reading the manga?

(I'll read it when the show is done, I'm just committed to being an anime-first watcher.)

It's mostly gags but there's also secret foreshadowing there. It's not "canon" per se, but there are thematic parallels with a lot of the things the characters do that can inform your interpretation of the main series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Brutakas posted:

Wouldn't it be more convenient for Eren to access the founding titan's power with Historia instead of Zeke? Actually, the galaxy brain play would be to get Historia's help before going to Zeke in order to pre-command Ymir with the founder's ability in case Zeke were to try something.

To fully access the Founding Titan's power, he specifically needs a Titan or royal blood, and he promised not to let Historia become a Titan. Zeke was his only option since Dina and Rod are dead.