Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like what I see. I think I can live with the extra cgi, some of it blends well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

RubberLuffy posted:

I hope Zeke's rear end wiping secret is revealed before the end of the series.

You know that episode where Eren is experimenting with his titan powers and he brings out just his titan hand?

I'm betting Zeke has a more refined technique.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I didn't think it would be Eren going full agent provocateur.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Unless someone outright regrows an arm I'll probably assume they're just lucky or unusually tough before suspecting they have superpowers. And a small amount of steam can sometimes rise off people due to humidity or sweat so it's not a guaranteed sign for the shifters.

I was thinking more along the lines of artistic liberty. It's not unusual for anime to do odd things like that and not have it be a clue to something more. Back in season one, there was debate as to weather Mikasa's knife charge at a burglar was artistic liberty or a sign of something more, and it wasn't until much later that we learned it was her awakening.

Trying to find hidden clues has been kinda sketchy with this series because something like the steam coming off the body had about the same weight as Sasha's cravings for potatoes.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think you can make a case with face titan and horse cart titan that the titan forms have a mostly similar appearance, but attack titan seems to have been an exception. Eren and Kruger share nearly the same body, but grisha's had more in common with beast titan and I'm not sure why.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Does it have to be someone with Titan power AND royal blood? I imagine that’s the case because why not just use historia

That's exactly what Eren was worried about in episode 58. He thought if the military knew, they would do something drastic with her.

New episode was pretty tense, can't wait for next week!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Asuron posted:

Actually this is the track people wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXVE1Rr8XtE

The events leading to the reiner/bert betrayal carry a significantly different tone than the events leading up to Eren's current offensive. That song hitting when it did was a perfect summary of the grueling losses, confusion, stress and depression up to that point.

Using it as a reflection of Reiner's emotional condition doesn't even come close.

I'm fine with what we got. It's not as epic but it doesn't have to be because it's a different moment with a different feel and it's only just started.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
eren eat the titans

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'd have to agree they leaned too much into the cgi this time. I tried to ignore it the first time because it's a pivotal moment, but I watched it a couple more times and it's more noticeable and worse than episode 60.

poo poo on the early cgi if you want, but that was limited to colossal titan and reiss titan. Now all the titans are getting the cgi treatment and it's creating more opportunity for bad cgi.

I also didn't like that team paradis weren't all immediately recognizable, but that's probably the original artist's fault.

Wondering what conney and sasha were up to with the lights. Maybe they have a zeppelin of their own? Maybe they're about to drop the bomb.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I loooove supporting a good villain. Best episode of the whole series.

I wish the preview didn't spoil the next fight, even if it was predictable.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There's still a chance for an unsatisfactory ending, but as long as the plot mostly makes sense right now we might as well enjoy the ride.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
please don't post spoilers

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I recall earlier in the first season, someone was talking about how the writer was going to kill Sasha early on, but someone on staff cried and begged him not to do it.

Now here we are, what could've been either Connie or Jean if she had died that much sooner. It was a good decision in the long run.

Freakazoid_ fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 1, 2021

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Coupe things I want to point out about Gabi.

- When Reiner was subtly humanizing Paradisians at their family dinner, his mother got the hint. Gabi did not.
- When Falco offered the perspective of the enemy, she shot it down specifically from a "I didn't see that happen" point of view.

The latter is particularly damning because she already knows Reiner and the others went there to gently caress up their poo poo. She didn't have to see it herself, she knows they went on the attack. Rather than argue back with a coherent argument (granted she was put on the spot in a tense situation), she fell on a typical knee-jerk reaction. Yes, you literally did not see it happen with your eyes, but even 12 year olds can put two and two together. I think Gabi knows there's a reasonable explanation, but has chosen to disregard it because that means having to set aside her anger for a moment and consider alternative solutions.

As was said, she drank the coolaid far more than the others, but it's tough to believe that only state radicalism is bouncing around in her head.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Maera Sior posted:

I have a very hard time not seeing Erwin and Levi in some sort of relationship, even if it's just "We're not going to talk about it because one or both of us are going to die horribly." That scene at the end of season 3 part 1where Levi threatens to break Erwin's legs. Oof.

There was a time when novels could write about two dudes who went through some poo poo and came out appreciative of each other without it being gay, especially in a war setting. It's kind of like a deep friendship or a familial connection. Since the internet exploded, you can't write like that without everyone automatically thinking they're gay.

It's more likely Levi thought of Erwin as a father, since he didn't see much of a father figure in Kenny.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Eustace posted:

Their relationship is intentionally vague enough that its open to any interpretation that suits your fancy. If you dont want it to be gay then its not gay, just dont freak out if people choose to interpret it differently

I agree.

Terper posted:

You know I was going to write a snide comment and this post deserves it, but whatever. People have to do that because there's incredibly little on the market that features gay love, whereas deep male friendships and familial connections are absolutely everywhere. Sentiments like yours are so backwards and ignorant it genuinely makes me angry.

You should direct your anger at the author, who chose to keep things coy rather than affirm it. If the author has said outright it was a gay relationship, I would have certainly accepted it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Historia doesn't look happy at all that she boned some rando. It's gotta be a cover-up, right?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Gee I wonder what all these birds are doing in all these important moments.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I do not like what that preview of next week is hinting at. Sasha's family might be walking right into where the action's gonna be.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

McConnell posted:

On second thought, the actual funny part of that video is when the guy says that the Titan designs are anti-Semitic because one of them has.... a big nose?

For what it's worth, in the era of extremely online alt-right, all imagery that could be remotely seen as anti-Semitic will be stolen from the author and molded into an actual anti-Semitic image.

That small titan with the big nose? I think it's from season 2, the one Zeke has trouble controlling. I've seen it used in an anti-Biden/Harris piece.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I half expect Eren's next line to be something like "Hey. Cart titan's outside. You want her power, Gabi?"

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Had the strength to wait, was not disappointed.

Levi continues to be an absolute badass, or was a badass to the end.

Does anyone else think Eren's accusation of Armin and Mikasa being under mind control has more holes in it than swiss cheese? At best you can say shifters often have the same goals because the previous shifter literally hand-picked their descendant in most cases. Armin has at least one big hint that he liked Annie before being forced to be a shifter. Eren has a point about Ackermann blood in Mikasa, but Levi internalized it so differently (loyalty to Erwin, beating up Eren, and overall compassion for his unit) it can't possibly be a hard and fast rule. Ymir likely didn't have any compatible thoughts about the previous shifter and apparently neither does Marco. It's such a flimsy accusation Armin should've easily refuted it just based on what he knows of Levi alone.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Preparing myself for a Game of Thrones style disappointment ending.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If the manga readers couldn't come away in agreement with the ending, chances are the anime isn't going to overcome that gap any better. There are enough narrative threads it could go in a few directions, but whatever direction it is, it won't nicely tie everything up.

If I had to choose how to end it, it would probably involve Eren doing a timeline do-over via the source sending his thoughts and titan powers to his child self. Timeline shenanigans are a narrative crutch but the show has already established a passive level of it, might as well have child Eren make different decisions to try and stave off as much death as possible.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They did a better job hiding the 3d this time, obviously still there but it isn't quite as glaringly obvious.

If that's the real Ymir, I wonder if that's just symbolic of how the paths work, or perhaps she's playing a more active role.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Forgall posted:

I take it she knows Armin is lying, but decided to pretend to go with it for now.

That's gotta be it, but for some reason I can't remember any sort of on-screen interactions between them previously that would indicate Yelena had any idea. If anything, Yelena completely bought his act.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Cool poo poo just went down, but I suspect time shenanigans are coming and we'll see some rollback.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If Eren was capable of altering the past before he was born, then he's already won. Until someone else reveals their hidden time shenanigans ability, the future has already been written.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

If angry faces were a consistent clue, she'd be the next attack titan.

Yawgmoft posted:

I'm really dreading finding out Eren's grand plan in regards to Historia.

I considered the possibility Historia is controlling Eren, but there aren't any hints to that regard. However, Frieda could have planted something in Historia, either because she could read the future as well or she had her own plan to override the king's will.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
So uh, convincing Ymir to stand up for herself is good, but shouldn't that lead her to Zeke's plan? I mean, it was the original Frtiz who killed and enslaved her village, I imagine she would want revenge on his descendants. But then she would've used that power against him in the first place if she had even an ounce of self esteem.

It feels pretty hamfisted that a character has to exist with no will of her own in order for the show to exist, but I could probably buy it if the creature had a will of its own, suppressing Ymir's will in order to achieve its own aims.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

mightygerm posted:

They are her children, too...

I'm assuming Ymir actually has some sort of will deep down and that if she had the choice she would not have returned to Fritz, much less defend his people and have his children. I'm just saying if she were capable of having her own will, she could see Zeke's plan being an acceptable form of revenge. Respect those who were already born, but prevent Fritz' lineage from reproducing.

Either way, something's wrong with Ymir and I hope we get a better explanation.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

rocketbrah posted:

Don't shifters pick up some of other shifters' powers by consuming spinal fluid? Like Eren got better hardening after they gave him some armor titan juice or something way back when they wanted to plug the hole in Shiganshina

I'm pretty sure titan juice just isn't narratively consistent. You only need a little to turn into one, but so many people were injected with far more than they needed for no apparent reason. Exposing titan juice to the air causes it to evaporate quickly, unless it's aerosolized which just doesn't count I guess. The royal family knew how this process worked, yet only had hardening on hand and never explained where they got it. Marley had the knowledge and the opportunity to share titan powers and didn't, even though that would've given them some tactical flexibility.

Ymir is such a bizarre example, too. Like ok he made them eat her flesh out of desperation, it worked, but then how did it become just a spine thing? Not a lot of time passed between the kids eating flesh and Fritz dying, there wasn't a lot of time or subjects to experiment on.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Maera Sior posted:

- Where's Zeke? I can't believe how long it's taken me to remember that he exists.

lol it's only been one episode, he got gobbled up by the creature/eren hybrid just before the walls came down.

It's interesting that Eren didn't have control over Zeke's titans. I was under the assumption some of Zeke's titans were present at the end of season 2 when Eren used the coordinate for the first time, but maybe not? Either way, very ominous plot point.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Steve Yun posted:

Finger Titan

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

tbp posted:

is the ability to literally appear in memories related to the attack titan or the founding or some combination of them? were eren and zeke.. literally there? i can't quite grasp that part yet either , but grisha clearly saw them and was able to even touch zeke, so i presume they.. were there?? but only sometimes??

The show seems to blend memories and time in a way that isn't really congruent with each other. The fact that a character from the past can be influenced from a character in the future violates causality, at least in a timeline that isn't predestined. If predestination exists, then all of reality is essentially a simulation, probably being played out inside the mind of the ymir/alien conjoined creature.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Now that Ymir is no longer under control, she's actually motivated to put effort into her creations!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
the clown is the studio announcing the final final final season (next year) and levi is the audience

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Except Reiner and Annie punch better.

Eren takes them to the mat.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Time shenanigans are a writer's crutch for instant interesting plot, but if you don't tie everything up in a nice little bow at the end, it doesn't matter what quality of writing is elsewhere in the work. All anyone will remember is the show ending with a wet fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Collapsing Farts posted:

It's gotta suck to be a wall titan for decades on end

The second time Eren tried his titan form, he nearly succumbed to a dream state where his parents were still alive.

It's possible that's what happens to regular eldians when they are transformed, stuck in a blissful state of unawareness.

Ymir seemed kind of like an exception though? She was miserable and just kinda passed out for a time. I guess if a wall titan had regrets, their time spent in their mind would be like being in a void.