Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

ninjewtsu posted:

He's as much of a villain as the colossal titan was

This makes me think of Bertholdt's speech in S3E15 again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

I'm pretty sure the cart titan voice is the same from S3.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Blaze Dragon posted:

If anything, we've seen the exact opposite: Eren wants to cause as much destruction and death as he can. Killing innocents isn't a by-product of his actions, it's his aim. There's no way he would've transformed as he did, murdering so many innocents, if he wasn't straight up aiming at it.

I don't really understand where you're getting this from. Eren used the building as a hostage to prevent Reiner/Falco from leaving. After Eren transformed he went right after the military targets in the stands. We haven't seen Eren go out of his way to kill civilians, he just doesn't seem to care about collateral damage. This lines up with what he was saying earlier to Reiner and his speech to Falco earlier in the season.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

Gabi might be my favorite character. There's a very obvious reason some hate her and imo signifies someone of the "wow cool robot" type of viewer/reader

It is okay to dislike Gabi and still understand that she was indoctrinated. That doesn't absolve her of culpability, it is simply a mitigating factor. She killed a beloved character and her personality can be seen as arrogant, grating, and stubborn. Out of the new and old warrior crew, Gabi and young Reiner drunk the koolaid the hardest. Falco, Udo, Zofia, Marcel, Bert, Zeke .... all of them grew up in the same system and don't seem to have nearly that level of blind, zealous hate for the islanders. Annie was just kind of sadistic in general and didn't seem to have a particular grudge against Paradis, she even hesitated to kill Marco.

edit: This is also why I dislike Gabi/S1 Eren parallels, they are only similar on a surface level. Eren hated the titans after they killed his mom, sure, but once he figured out they were humans too he chilled out. His anger was limited to those who directly caused him harm.

mightygerm fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 3, 2021

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I... guess you could see Eren's cold indifference to wiping out a building full of civilians as a form of 'chilling out'. Is he better because he kills in cold blood?

What Eren did was shocking and possibly wrong even in the context of war due to killing civilians and foreign dignitaries. But Gabi just killed some enemy soldiers. She saw Sasha doing exactly the same thing in the previous episode. What Gabi did isn't a War Crime, it's just regular War.

war is bad

You can frame Eren, Armin, and Erwin's actions as collateral damage. Their intent wasn't to kill civilians, they were simply co-located with military targets.
Gabi and Sashi only killed soldiers, although Gabi has a desire to kill all islanders, military or not.
Floch, Reiner and Bertholdt intentionally attacked civilian targets.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

macabresca posted:

Welp, I'm all caught up now after binging the entire series in the last 3 weeks and only now it dawned on me that I have to wait for new episodes, shiiiiiit.

What is the likelihood of them finishing the entire series in this season? I heard some speculations that the finale will be done as a movie or OVA or something

If by this season, you mean in the next 8 episodes, 0% chance. There has to be a part 2, or movie.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, is it really a Survey Corps mission if it doesn't end with Eren in jail?

It's a cherished tradition at this point.

I'm pretty sure Eren lives at the jail now, we haven't seen him live in a house since he was a kid.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I only started watching AOT this season although I am a semi-regular anime watcher (Used to watch pretty much whole seasons, these days I'll pick up a show or two a year). I always heard it was worth watching I just wasn't interested in following it for 4 years to see 13 episodes and the fact that it is in the "Final Season" and is less than 70 episodes made it very easy to catch up

But this is the first time in a loooong time a lot of non-anime watchers I know are getting into it. There are people that occasionally will pick stuff up (Like Death Note on netflix is oddly popular) but the AOT anime is approaching prestige drama levels it feels like

Right now it's one of the most popular TV shows in the US period.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Maera Sior posted:

I haven't had this hard of a time processing an episode in... forever, I think. There was so much crammed in there that wasn't spoken, it's making it hard to process what actually was said out loud.

Is Eren psyching himself up? Having an internal moral struggle? Is he having a break like Reiner? Having an internal struggle because of all the titans he contains?

Eren's brain with the memories of three titans inside him:

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

This is a work of fiction where people can literally turn into giant man eating monsters, I wouldn’t get too caught up on who people are cheering for.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Gantolandon posted:

Most mangas are meant for the Japanese market. Some of them get popular in the West, but it's hit or miss and requires them to gather a significant audience in Japan first. Complaining that Isayama didn't take western sensibilities into account is putting the cart before the horse.

I believe he was being sarcastic

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Ep14:

Levi and Zeke's relationship, in a nutshell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W713nw7gTbg

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

How much of Tybur's declaration of war was orchestrated by Zeke in the first place? He's the one who brought up the idea of going back to Paradis to the Marleyan brass.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Ep 15:

This might be my favorite this season, just very well directed for a flashback. I think Zeke is my favorite character in this show.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Did you miss the entire storyline of the Reiss family? A bloodline that ruled the world through brutal oppression and literally eating people?
Did you read the actual story? The Reiss family were pacifists that wanted to stop the cycle of hatred. Also brutal oppression was hardly the sole provenance of Eldians, the Marleyans were brutal imperialists as well. Oppression is not limited to a certain racial or ethnic group.

quote:

These are literally tropes that have been used against Jews for centuries. Never mind the mindless, giant nosed caricatures that consume everything in their path or Marleyans allowing "the good ones" to fight for their facist government etc.

I love how people use the one or two examples of titans with giant noses as some sort of own, when the vast majority of titans are just giant proportioned humans with normal structure. Also once again fascist governments conscripting the oppressed is a story told time and time again in history, its not even a particular significant part of the holocaust compared to the forced labor and death camps.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Asuron posted:

I've never really thought about that. Her harsh pro military views are depicted as a good thing and given that the rest of the series codemns everything about military states, I don't get what the author was trying for there.

This is more of a general comment, but every character in a work of fiction doesn’t have to be a commentary on social issues. I don’t think it’s the authors responsibility to ensure that every deception of controversial behavior is portrayed as villainous. For one, there’s a ton of grey areas regarding morality and ethics in anything except the most extreme scenarios, and readers from different backgrounds can interpret things differently.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Eustace posted:

I was thinking the other day about the "AOT is fascist" pseudo controversy and while I know the series is very much not fascist it made me wonder what the big deal would be if it actually was. I dont believe media has that much of an effect on peoples political leanings plus the wests entire cultural output for the past 20 years has been superhero/military industrial complex propaganda wank. Is it impossible for people to wrap their heads around enjoying a piece of media that they disagree politically with?

You should have seen the shitstorm that was GATE.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Freakazoid_ posted:

So uh, convincing Ymir to stand up for herself is good, but shouldn't that lead her to Zeke's plan? I mean, it was the original Frtiz who killed and enslaved her village, I imagine she would want revenge on his descendants. But then she would've used that power against him in the first place if she had even an ounce of self esteem.

It feels pretty hamfisted that a character has to exist with no will of her own in order for the show to exist, but I could probably buy it if the creature had a will of its own, suppressing Ymir's will in order to achieve its own aims.

They are her children, too...

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Sam Faust posted:

Props to the implied explanation that the titans are all distorted freaky caricatures of humans because they were all actually hand-sculpted by some very very tired kid.

Also can explain why they don't have genitals

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Conspiratiorist posted:

I quite like Floch. Despite his limited screen time you can quite clearly see the trajectory that took him from a cocky new Scouts recruit to where he's now, and his reaction when the gig was up about the wine was pretty funny.

And as noted, while it slips here and there that he enjoys being in control of the situation for a change, his desire to save Paradis seems very earnest; his fundamental differences with the main cast are that between being unable to reconcile his differences with the old guard, and closing off his heart in his own personal interpretation of of the Survey Corps creed, he ended up going full Team Eren.

What I like about Floch is you can clearly understand the events that shaped him to become a Yeagerist. It's not like he's some caricature or mustache-twirling villain. It makes the conflict in the story more believable when villains aren't otherized, but they are the same people you grew up with, just in different set of circumstances. I really like how AOT plays with this concept, especially the talk between Eren and Reiner. I still hold the "I'm the same as you" speech in very high regard.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

ninjewtsu posted:

this is specifically the line of thinking that season 4 has been criticizing the entire time

i mean god drat

these are the same justifications marley used when they enslaved the eldians

Isn't it also genocide when the rest of the world declared war on Paradis and went to wipe them out?
Because that was basically going to happen, hell it wouldn't even be the first time Marley tried this.
I feel a big part of the story is the Armin, Hange, et al spent years trying to make inroads with people outside the island, and seemingly only Hizuru did because they wanted their resources.
I can't blame Hange and everyone else wanting to stop the rumbling, but I really can't fault the Joe Paradisian who is essentially fighting for his right to survive as well.
A peaceful solution could have been a possibility in the past, but now there are basically only two options now that Eren unilaterally started a full rumbling.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

ninjewtsu posted:

yeah, it is. and they did so because they were defending themselves from a genocide as well (the thing that is currently occurring, they knew this was going to happen and were demonstrably right when they said it was going to happen). do you think they were justified in this too? because it's literally the same reasoning
The series of events as we know them:
Ancient Eldians/Marleyans: Ethnic Cleansing, Slavery, etc.
First Warrior Attack: Unprovoked attempted genocide
Declaration of War: Also unprovoked attempted genocide, as they decided this before the Eldians attacked, even if they were correct in their prediction
Rumbling: Genocide, albeit provoked, but essentially the same flimsy justification as the Declaration of war. (ignoring the time travel nonsense)

ninjewtsu posted:

it's almost like committing genocide is always a bad thing, even if you're dumb enough to think that maybe in your particular situation it's ok to do a genocide. it is not ok to do a genocide. the dumbass black and white "either we kill them or they kill us" line of thinking that leads people to think genocide is ok is the true villain of the story.
I think too many people here are arguing against strawmen that think its 'ok to genocide'. Its not. I never said it was. All I'm saying is there's nuance in the reasoning why a person might fight for one side or the other. The only person who put them down this path is Eren. Recall that Armin, Mikasa, et al were HELPING Eren start the rumbling because they thought he was going to go for the original plan. Eren's the one that decided to kill everyone else off, with a fuckoff invincible army of titans. If he can be stopped, the only reasonable conclusion is the world would want revenge, as Jean mentioned a couple episodes ago.

dipwood posted:

You can empathize with Floch's situation without sympathizing with it. People are just saying that they get where he's coming from. And that, at this point in the story, his logic is sound. To him it's a given that Eren will never change his mind, so the only conclusion is that the main squad is going to kill Eren, which would doom Paradis. He's even willing to die for this belief, his actions are probably heroic in his mind.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

ninjewtsu posted:

ok so do you think the world nations declaring war on paradis with intent to genocide the good and right thing for them to do? they correctly believed that paradis wanted to genocide them and had the power to genocide them. in this case, was it wrong to do a genocide to protect themselves?

No. But this is not the situation the rest of the cast are in - the nations of the world had a choice, and some like Hizuru chose otherwise. As we learned in the flashback a while back, Hange tried to actually parley with the other nations to find a peaceful solution.
Eren declared his intent to genocide,on his own, when we knew the official plan of Paradis was just to knock out the military bases or whatever.
So the cast are put in a position of either passively or actively supporting the genocide of one side or another.
As Jean said, by standing back and doing nothing, they would 'benefit' from this genocide - so there's really no fence setting on this particular decision. Ironically, Eren took that freedom from them.
You either stop the Rumbling or allow it to happen, in both cases you are signing some nation's death warrant.

White Rock posted:

Though i can understand how some characters might think that's hosed up, and arrive at different conclusions, which is what actually makes this show interesting.

I think this is the most interesting part of the show. We go three seasons thinking Reiner, Annie, and Bert are just irredeemable pieces of poo poo, but come to find out they are victims of the same cycle of hatred. But just because they were in a hosed up situation doesn't wash away the evils they committed.
I kinda thought the whole point of the campfire scene was that this whole situation was not black and white (esp with Magath), and at the end of the day, its really difficult to for any party involved to claim some sort of moral superiority. Each individual had to make peace with hosed up poo poo they did or was did to them and make a decision on what they could live with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

ninjewtsu posted:

i like that zeke and eren are ultimately looking at the same problem with the same mindset and coming to more or less the same conclusion: this is us eldians vs everyone else and one of these things has to go. there is no way around this. eren has looked at this and said "well i don't think my side should be the one that dies", while zeke has managed to trauma logic himself into saying "if it'll make everyone else happy then we should die". they're both repulsive because they're sort of the same thing - the conclusion of exclusively looking at conflicts with a peace is not an option mentality.

which isn't to say their plans are morally equivalent exactly, but they stem from the same root and i think that's neat

i don't mind it much in s4. it helps that armin has a much reduced role.

in The Talk it was definitely satisfying hearing him shout through his teeth before decking eren, that at least was a pretty good line delivery

This is also why I find S4 so interesting. Eren/Zeke are able to coerce support due to having a plan (even if it sucks), and Hange in particular being stuck unwilling to support a morally objectionable plan while also being unable to formulate an alternative the public can rally around. The flashback to Sannes, the moment of weakness after Eren threatens her, the conversation with Jean, all give glimpses into the intense internal frustration of a character that was, in previous seasons, very optimistic.
In fiction, 'smart' characters are too often able to pluck an optimal solution out of thin air that solves the cast's problems. I enjoy the more nuanced presentation of this so far.