Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hell yeah let's go

There's poo poo that I literally cannot imagine being animated in a satisfying way in this final season so I really do hope they pull it off without a hitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can't believe the best shitpost in human history only has 18,000 views

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RubberLuffy posted:

Season 1 was just a real mess. Numerous episodes aired incomplete, literally scrambling for bodies to throw at the production hours before airdate, etc.

the two I remember was when the scouting newbies get merc'd by the titans immediately, the guy that gets swatted out of midair turns into a flying polygon

and then there's the stomp where the upheaved ground is just untextured purple bricks

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you don't see the rectangle that flies out past where he gets swatted? it looks like some kind of CGI glitch, like something was supposed to be there but instead it was replaced by this big grey rectangle tumbling through the air

I literally can't think of what that could be from if it's supposed to be there

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Faustian Bargain posted:

Season one ruled because titans were actually a threat that the protagonists hadn’t leveled up past yet. It was genuinely scary and completely different than what season four is.
Titans are still absolutely terrifying, there's a reason Marley has been a megapower until like, JUST now. Unless you have anti-tank gear or equipment explicitly designed to stop them, you are utterly utterly hosed against even a single titan. And even fully equipped and trained you've got a comparatively low chance against them unless you have Protagonist Powers like Levi and Mikasa.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the manga has extremely rough art a lot of the time, but Isayama's kinetic energy in his fight scenes especially with Eren's titan are impeccable.

Check the fight scene between annie and eren after the four pro scouts get merc'd by Annie's titan in the forest and Eren decides to transform: https://mangadex.org/chapter/150246/1

like, yeah the anime version is great, but isayama absolutely knocked it out of the park with how absolutely out of control, punching-so-hard-his-arms-and-fists-literally-explode eren is in this fight

and also, he really is so good at making the titans utterly horrifying

lol I forgot how terrible the earlier scanlations were. Levi was "rivaille".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:getin:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Alan_Shore posted:

I canit wait to see what's happening in Paradis.

This has now overtaken Death Note for best-written anime I've seen. Unless they bodge the ending (I don't think they will)
I am not saying anything about what happens, I will just say that with it ending in a few chapters, I am confident it will end in a way that will leave it as one of the best anime series of all time. I cannot tell you just how excited I am to see everything animated especially how well the season has been so far.

Unlike, say, beastars, which had an incredibly strong first half and then piddled all the goodwill down its leg in the second half and had an unsatisfying and possibly theme-ruining finale.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
crackin' a cold one with my pal eren

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ccs posted:

After this episode I took the plunge and just read the remaining manga. I have no idea how they're going finish this in one or even two cours. It feels like there's 3 seasons worth of material still to get through.
WELCOME, BROTHER

It's some poo poo, ain't it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just caught up with the season. After the merely "pretty good" Season 4 and the mediocre Season 3, this final season is a welcome surprise and brings the show back to season 1 and 2 quality.

Why does everyone seem to hate Gabi so much?

Gabi might be my favorite character. There's a very obvious reason some hate her and imo signifies someone of the "wow cool robot" type of viewer/reader

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Asuron posted:

People who hate Gabi and try to frame her as awful for literally being indoctrinated and turned into a child soldier baffles me.

She is literally Eren 2.0, except Eren had a really good life before Reiner and co came knocking on his door. Gabi and her family have suffered horrendously their entire lives and had no choice on how their future would look like.
My post made reference to this meme:

Specifically the type of people who only have a surface reading of a type of media and don't look any further into what that particular media is trying to say. People who hate Gabi likely only hate her for what she did this episode and don't consider anything past that one action.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
please kill any child traffickers you come across, thank you

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if they're going to end this season where I think they will, I can't fathom they could finish the rest of it in just one movie. it's gotta be a second cour. or two movies.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Alan_Shore posted:

I'd love to hear more stories from manga readers, reactions to things, how long things took etc.

M y dude the bert and ernie reveal in the manga was some poo poo

Best part was someone had called that they were the armored and colossal titans like two years earlier or whatever, meticulously so, in a WordPress blog. It was kind of incredible how hard they nailed it, pointing out every weird little action the two had done throughout the series.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The thing about the armored titan in the manga was the artwork was so terrible at the start that a lot of people initially thought it was just another abnormal titan, not some sort of shifter. The anime has him like, rev up and explicitly charge the gate'n'poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so who here is going to succumb and read the manga from hereon

come join the fun :unsmigghh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm not going to hold it against them, covid has hosed everything up and I hear things have gotten worse in japan again, so that's probably made things much slower.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Catpetter1981 posted:

AoT has just been a very elaborate promotional campaign for the new onsen that Isayama is opening.
something something an AoT onsen where the colossal titan is the one heating up the water

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DamnitGannet posted:

Just finished binging this from S2 and today I tried to talk to people about it and got my first 'you're pro fascist if you like AoT' argument so that's a thing. After reading this thread, I see its actually quite common.
did you say anything in response?

maybe try asking them what they think the starship troopers movie is about

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkDMz2ml0gw

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The manga ending has brought out a lot of shitters who crowed for years about hating the series all along. Also a bunch of rubberneckers. So that's probably why you've got randos who have never or rarely ever posted suddenly showing up to be jerks

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 12, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's the same sort of person who thinks "this thing is bad, therefore I don't need to worry about spoiling it, because I don't like the bad thing so I'm going to try to take away the mystery for them rather than let them make the decision on their own, because I'm right". Like "ending bad, so I'm going to immediately discuss it everywhere without spoiler tags since it doesn't deserve it" etc

Generally when it's about a series that is so universally terrible like shield hero, nobody cares, but that series also doesn't have a dedicated thread to discuss current and potential plot points where people have been relatively good about not being shitters and spoiling things.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Alan_Shore posted:

Haha this is my reward for saying AoT isn't fascist huh
They did it to me too so they dropped at least 20bux because they're a buttmad baby lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The ending of the manga is a disaster even with the extended cut(but is excellent right up until then for the most part), but if the anime fixes a few things in the finale, there's a chance they can come out of this with a decent conclusion.

The final chapter was genuinely a "first placer collapsed at the finish line" level of bad, but I will give the anime a chance to hopefully finagle something better out of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I’ve had some crazy theories, almost all of them were wrong! See you nerd in a couple months!
everyone who is still unspoiled should put their theories to writing in this thread before the final season comes out imo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
trailer looks amazing but is quite spoilery so I'd recommend against watching it, there's a lot in there, though not as much as I expected.

I'll just say, drat, they figured out how to animate the titans real good just in time for the finale

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The final chapter was exceptionally bad in most ways but some additional stuff salvaged it somewhat

I think the blow will be softened a bit by being put to animation, but there are parts of the ending that I don't know if ANYONE liked so if they keep that poo poo in I'm sure there'll be a shitstorm of a reaction, but I'm one of those folks who holds out vain hope that they will fix the ending in the anime version

I don't believe for a second that he had it all written out prior to starting the series, that's for drat sure at least

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Beefstew posted:

Serum bowl is when they had to pick who got the titan serum: Armin or Erwin.
I was in the manga thread in 2016 when it happened, and that chapter was hated.
I think people, me being one of them, were mostly pissed at how ridiculously it was portrayed in the manga and that there was a choice to begin with due to just how hosed up Armin got. Armin fell from like a couple hundred feet in the air, experienced the Colossal Air Fryer full blast at point blank range, and crash landed on a rooftop. He was Armin brand beef jerky on impact and I believe, I can't remember exactly, but I think the blast had burned his clothes and hair off entirely as well?

In a series full of ridiculous physics and acrobatics and unrealistic feats, even that was too ridiculous for a lot of folks

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
All they need to do is blame covid for screwing up their plans on ending the series in an animal season so they had to finish it in movie form, it's the perfect crime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Remember eren being in that dreamlike state when not in control of his titan?

Abnormals are just the dogs dreaming and running in their sleep of titans