Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's not stated directly whether the MEA instigated hostilities or if Marley acted preemptively to assert dominance before its geopolitical rivals got any bright ideas, and ultimately it might not even be a question with a clear answer given the typical complexities of relationships between nations.

What's true is that the loss of the Colossal and Female Titans (particularly the former given its tactical applications as a low-yield nuke in an era of early 20th century tech) greatly reduced Marley's war potential, to the point that what'd have previously likely been a swift conflict if not altogether non-starter had the MEA not felt confident enough to commit, ended up becoming a protracted war that showed the world that the era of the titans dominance in warfare is soon coming to an end.

Thinking on the scale of World War 1 conflict at least, Marley is probably stalemated in any conflict they can't bring titans to bare. Prior to modern (1930s+) tank doctrine, they'd be stymied at every front they don't have their secret weapon at. 4 years is a really spot on amount of time for them to finally break down the enemy. As someone whose spent a decade studying World War 1 seeing this was particularly impressive and entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Glad to hear about the Hulu thing. Crunchy still has dogshit resubscription handling, insisting you’re looking for a free trial and not just trying to loving resubscribe, and blocking you from using a previously used credit card. I got in by using PayPal this time but it’s insane in the 2 years since I was last using they haven’t figured this out.

I already have Hulu so I’ll just cancel before the trial ends. What time does aot drop on Hulu?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love the first two eps but even with the manga wrapping up, idk how they’d fit it in a regular two cour season. I feel like we might see a movie for the last arc. Final “season”.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Quick google says the guess right now for the first “part” is 16 eps. A weird number but 32 is much more reasonable amount to get through what’s left, possibly with a movie to cap off.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It’s not trench warfare but full metal alchemist brotherhood is basically an alternate universe set in the same timeframe as wwi.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I’m so motherfuckin psyched. I’m super duper impressed they’ve maintained the pace over the last few eps. Which is to say not coward out. I got mega chills at the post credits.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I really like Annie, so when the female titan actually showed up I was like "Sickkkk". But the lead up in the forest was giving me some serious "hokage dying in Naruto circa 2004" flashbacks.

I think the first season of AoT is the weakest by far. There are def some really weak individual moments after that (chonk cg bert for one), I think S1 has the longest stretches of bad pacing, bad animation etc.

That said, the relentless suffering and struggling really did lodge AoT in my head. It's funny looking back on some of the moments that felt like rear end pulls being crucial events that worked their way in to the entire rest of the series.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sooo. We don’t get a new ep this week it looks like.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

But is a movie of the final arc even marketable? Because the themes have diverged so far from the original premise, and entered some seriously weighty territory, and is emotionally exhausting, and so lacks catharsis, that it's not something you can just put out there to get asses in cinema seats.

End of Evangelion.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nephthys posted:

Calling it "The Final Season" so overtly makes me think there's no way they could get away with ending it on a cliffhanger and finishing it with a movie. That would be a pretty dick move imo.

I’d prefer to wait for a movie to do the ending right than have the series get bogged down in production constraints and fumble it as happens to a lot of anime, especially adaptations. Previous seasons of aot, jojo part 3, Evangelion to name a few.

Plus the name final season is such a perfect loop hole.

But if it works out it works out. I just want it to be good, and definitive.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If the final season is split into two parts, and the second part is like 10 eps, I feel like that'll give the production staff the time and energy they need to really knock it out of the park.

gently caress I wish this show was airing friday and not sundays. It's very perverse to look forward to a sunday this much.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Buzzing around like a humming bird waiting for tomorrows ep. It's gonna feel like 3 mins long

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Also total innocents. Also fellow eldians. Having a tantrum that triumphant martial music should have played during the “badass moment” is some real baby brain poo poo.

That's not what they wanted (just saw that link) but I still prefer what was used.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 14, 2021

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I thought the cg was mostly good for war hammer, suitable to how creepy it is, but there were a couple shot of Attack titan that were off.

But I have no real complaints. Great ep. so tough to watch week to week!

Edit:loving phone posting

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 18, 2021

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I feel like CGI in anime if it's prominent almost always looks bad, and I've been put off whole shows for bad CG before, but I'll take these CGI titans we've seen every remaining episode if we don't get anything like the old Colossal or Rodd Reiss ever again.

Chunk leg colossal was really bad but rodd was very funny and therefore good.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

teagone posted:

Jean had pretty distinct hair too, but he also had a distinct face that seems to have gotten lost imo. I only guessed Sasha because of her hair too, since she sorta has generic anime face going on lol.

Gf identified Sasha immediately. Jean took til he was mentioned.

I picked out Connie.

Love how Mikasa and the rest of the crew looks. Grown up and real serious. Levi reveal was awesome.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Marleyan treatment of Eldians is extremely bad, and I think in many ways the root cause of the conflict (it's both the reason why Grisha took the founding titan and the reason why Reiner felt compelled to execute his plan). But this war will mostly come down to two groups of Eldians fighting each other.

It’s worth noting that Udo says Marleys treatment of Eldian is relatively kind compared to other countries.

Which is some fuckin poo poo.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Dummies prefer the first season but season 2 is where I really locked in.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I just saw some fan account complaining MAPPA sucks because the angle of the "Levi Ackerrman!" reveal wasn't identical to the panel layout and it's like, there's no pleasing some people. "That was one of the most exciting anime reveals of the last decade"

This last episode was incredible. I had goosebumps over and over.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Maera Sior posted:

So does anyone have any suggestions as to how the scouts are supposed to get on the airship to retreat? The obvious answer is to stand on the tallest building and fire straight up, but if they miss they've put a hole in the balloon. Drifting down and lowering ropes seems too slow and would also bring it within range of the guns on the ground. Armin was able to use his own form, but that's not repeatable.

That blimp has way more to worry about from artillery fire than than a couple dozen tiny holes.

Traditionally zeppelins aren't one huge balloon also, they would have hundreds if not thousands (given the size of that fucker) of compartments for the lifting gas. here's hoping Paradis is rich in helium and not hydrogen.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Maera Sior posted:

Thanks, that's not an area I know much about.

I went back and checked the last end credits of season 3 because a shot looked familiar. It's pretty clearly the same boy in the rubble, just the next morning.

I have a dumb amount of knowledge about zeppelins. My great-great-grandfather was in the US Army Zeppelin corp during WWI, training in texas.

(war ended before he was deployed to europe :ssh: )

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'm fuzzy but I suspect something to do with utilizing the 'steam' function.

I was under the impression from Bert that his explosion was more kinetic from the fall height than explosive tho so IDK.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Buying no-ads tier gets rid of the ads.

I can't stress to you how apoplectic I would be if that were not the case.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Very seriously, don’t gently caress with it. It’s so close to the end and spoilers abound.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Especially in the case of something as twisty as aot

But more than anything given how BIG aot is it’s a fool errand to go looking for anything aot. It’s spoiler Russian roulette

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

The "This show takes place on Titan!" theory was so widespread during season 1.

That's so very funny. My theory was "This takes place in shounen land" and it took me til after the forest arc to debride myself of that.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ccs posted:

Good episode but it felt like we only covered like one chapters worth of manga this episode. It’s got me sweating thinking how much more they have to cover and how they’re possible going to do it, even if the “Final Season” has a part 2.

As stated it’s perfectly reasonable to expect this is the “final season” but they may end up having the conclusion as a movie. Especially after demon slayer just proves how much money an in continuity film can make.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sockser posted:

Honestly, from my cursory understanding of manga spoilers I've picked up from the wiki, it looks like we'd need a Season 4: Part 2 and a movie to wrap things up

Yes, theres certainly going to be a second cour.

That’s been my assumption from the start. Speculation that the show would be finished with 16 + 10ish eps is based on 2 chapters an ep. if it’s slower than that, we may be looking at either a longer (either 16 or more) for the second part or a movie.

All said, I think the pacing has been excellent and every episode has felt about ten minutes long at most. I’m really pleased and somewhat confident theres nothing to gain by compressing things unnecessarily when this is one of the most popular series in recent memory. To have a movie cap things off and make (conservatively) 150 million on top of it all has to be an easy choice if the “final season” run time is insufficient.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I said to my partner, I think next week is gonna be a talky episode and I’m so excited to get back to the paradis characters and see what the hell has been going on the last 4 years.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Rocco posted:

Maybe I missed something so feel free to tell me, but I don't really get why Eren didn't eat the Jaw Titan and Armored Titan? I remember he said he couldn't bear to kill Reiner now... because he was weak? Or... what was it? Was Eren too weak? What did I miss here, why didn't he eat the fuckers

I don’t think Erin wants to kill Reiner. I think once Reiner got ahold of the jaw Erin decided it wasn’t worth it.

Even if that’s not the case, Eren was on his like third consecutive transformation and was probably wiped.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's also that we now have a culture and economy of pointing out plot holes and "things x got wrong".

It's not a very good way to enjoy your shows.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The idea that the internet is responsible for homoerotic male relationships in fiction is such an incredibly big brained take.

Shipping can be irritating but holy gently caress don’t lobotomize yourself to make a lovely point.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

CG at this point is more about time.

And budgets have nothing to do with spending more on one show over another that’s not how that works. You could make an argument the studio can decide where certain talent is placed but unless you’ve got two /original/ series I don’t think budget is discretionary like that.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

Wait, did I miss this? Whose family are they with?

Watch harder my dude. That last chunk where that girl is talking is heavily weighted.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The pacing has be incredible what are you talking about. Even the talky episodes have felt 5 minutes long.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Pop culture reporting is generally a cesspool of poo poo and is all click bait poo poo to get massive clicks.

Turns out “truth and facts” shouldn’t be dictated by profit motive.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It’s possible to admire people who have also done unadmirable things. Teddy Roosevelt and FDR for example. The idea that you can only admire people who are perfect angels free of sin is crazy.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Okay...gotcha.

I guess that was why people were complaining about cgi way upthread? Luckily, I don't notice it and the time jump made the change in style/animation appropriate to me so I haven't had any problems. But I guess that's one of the shortcuts they use?

But basically, show is hard under normal circumstances and 2020+ are already abnormal (:heysexy:) and the studio has a big workload so they are probably going to make a final final season but also everyone wants to wait and see how the manga finishes, which is apparently in a few weeks?

How does Netflix crank out animation so fast? Is it all cheap flash animation or something?

Netflix either A)Drops the bag on a big studio B) contracts some unknown cheap studio C) Dogshit CG adaptation D) waits for the entire season to be done before releasing, freeing the studio from broadcast constraints like "First 3 eps are done and planning is done on the rest oh gently caress oh poo poo production issues, earthquake, we're up against the wall OH gently caress OH poo poo (see "shirobako" for an idea of the normal process a tv anime production goes through)"

I went to watch castlevania a year or two after everyone was hyping it up and woof there is some dogshit cuts hanging out in there.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Both are on Hulu “airs at 345 central”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

We’ve been talking in this thread since before the first episode that the projected run is 16 episodes and that there was no way that would cover the material, that the manga is like months away from done and it would be dumb to keep going til the end without waiting, and that there would almost certainly be a second chunk plus maybe a movie to cap off.

And then that happened. So here we are, see you in 2022.