Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

If you are going to arbitrarily decide that you aren’t tolerating making fun of a hypothetical other users for hypothetically extremely embarrassing past and hypothetically pathetic behavior, then the appropriate action is to warn people about that or probe them, not to just ban them without warning after already probing them twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

docbeard posted:

My extremely helpful answer is that it depends.

My other extremely helpful answer is that if you go into a forum you are subject to the whims of that forum's moderation team. Sometimes that means being chain-probated, sometimes that means being banned, and sometimes that means having other people point and laugh right alongside you.

I don’t think you have thought this answer through, but I’m happy to queue up a few bans and test it out.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

docbeard posted:

I think there's room for a conversation about when and how bans or other moderation actions are justified, certainly.

But I'm pretty sure "I am immune to moderation because I am here to make fun of someone" is never going to be forums policy

No one is arguing that anyone should be immune from moderation. No one said anything yesterday when crusty buttsack or whatever handed out probes.

Hell, I wouldn’t have said anything today if the cspam mods went and chain probed bloom for making fun of their friend. They tried to do that a few days ago to some fyad folks and no one made a fuss.

Specifically making it a ban and specifically trying to make it seem like a real offense (as opposed to being mean to their buddy) is what caused all this. So don’t argue something else.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Lmao