Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I also heard of it being a technique for machine guns to land the bullets short and walk them to the target and that a portion would bounce back up and strike the target,. As opposed to trying to aim directly and accidently shooting wildly off target but not knowing because there is no feedback.

Might be all rubbish tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I also heard of it being a technique for machine guns to land the bullets short and walk them to the target and that a portion would bounce back up and strike the target,. As opposed to trying to aim directly and accidently shooting wildly off target but not knowing because there is no feedback.

Might be all rubbish tho.

Yes, it’s still a thing. Plunging fire

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Chamale posted:

Another sound effect pet peeve is that fake "kapwing!" bullet ricochet.

M-16A1s firing blanks make a distinctive sound, as heard in every war movie made in the 70s.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

No there's a widespread misconception that all planes make that sound when they go into a dive due to aerodynamic effects.

I think it might also be rooted in how a lot of WW1/inter-war biplanes do also make a kinda wailing/siren sound at (relatively) high speeds, due to the airstream in the tensioned bracing/support/control wires and the various interplane struts. There were some WW1 planes (the British RE8 was one) which made a continual droning wail even in the cruise.

Add in loads of war-surplus JN4s, Aircos etc. and all the other light biplanes being used for movie work in the early days of sound recordings and I can see how it became a cliche that planes screech when they dive.

The Stuka came along and reinforced that, as well as providing lots of newsreel and audio recordings to act as stock footage and library clips for ever more.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

ilmucche posted:

I find it strange that when people are getting shot at in movies there's loads of bullets landing around their feet

This is obviously because movie guns, especially pistols, have lots of loose parts that are constantly making metallic click-clacking sounds whenever they're brandished. That has to effect their accuracy.

Offler fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 4, 2023

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Hey what’s up. I started a thread in GiP, where I generally post, on COIN last fall. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4018420&pagenumber=1#lastpost

They pointed me here and I’m popping in cause I need a quick question answered rn, and wanna contribute to an ongoing discussion on Counterinsurgency in general.

Rn what I need to know is this: How the gently caress did ISIS get its start?

I have books on them on my shelf but I don’t have time to digest them, not nearly enough. IIRC, they came out of AQI, which, IIRC had the middle of its network cut out by JSOC under McChrystal, which hosed them up big time. Top couldn’t talk to the bottom because there were no middlemen to coordinate the whole show.

All of the above is probably a gross oversimplification. Nevertheless, that’s what comes to mind. I would be very thankful if you could educate me on this subject. I will do my best to be a productive poster ITT.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
There is an episode of Frontline titled "The Secret History of Isis" that you should really watch. It does an excellent job of laying it all out. Just like Frontline always does.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

There is an episode of Frontline titled "The Secret History of Isis" that you should really watch. It does an excellent job of laying it all out. Just like Frontline always does.

Imma watch that tomorrow. Thank you.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

This is a silly question, but hell, always post, right? The first milhist book I ever read was on the battle of Midway. It was in our elementary school library. I am having a weird fit of nostalgia for that particular book, but I can't recall anything about it except that it was not Incredible Victory and it had plane silhouettes in the corners of the pages. At age 7, I thought those silhouettes were awesome. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is Mark Felton alright

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

zoux posted:

Is Mark Felton alright

Mixed bag. His written academic work is well received. His youtube stuff has faced some accusations of plagiarism. Like just taking whole scripts plagiarism. I haven't seen any plagiarism accusations for his books.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

TheWeedNumber posted:

Hey what’s up. I started a thread in GiP, where I generally post, on COIN last fall. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4018420&pagenumber=1#lastpost

They pointed me here and I’m popping in cause I need a quick question answered rn, and wanna contribute to an ongoing discussion on Counterinsurgency in general.

Rn what I need to know is this: How the gently caress did ISIS get its start?

I have books on them on my shelf but I don’t have time to digest them, not nearly enough. IIRC, they came out of AQI, which, IIRC had the middle of its network cut out by JSOC under McChrystal, which hosed them up big time. Top couldn’t talk to the bottom because there were no middlemen to coordinate the whole show.

All of the above is probably a gross oversimplification. Nevertheless, that’s what comes to mind. I would be very thankful if you could educate me on this subject. I will do my best to be a productive poster ITT.

The first season of the Conflicted podcast gives a very brief overview in the first few episodes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Thomamelas posted:

Mixed bag. His written academic work is well received. His youtube stuff has faced some accusations of plagiarism. Like just taking whole scripts plagiarism. I haven't seen any plagiarism accusations for his books.

I watched one of his videos and I don't know if it was plagiarism, but it sure was about how great and heroic the SS was.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Back to basics :china:

(Claimed to be "wolfs' fangs mace" )

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ensign Expendable posted:

I watched one of his videos and I don't know if it was plagiarism, but it sure was about how great and heroic the SS was.

Or just plain making claims based on nothing. He did a video on how the Lancaster was supposed to be the backup plan in case the B-29 could carry out the atomic bombing of Japan. That's got a strong whiff of bullshit already, but an aviation YouTuber I follow did a thorough teardown, complete with sources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKB-oqdoduw

Greg is a gearhead's gearhead. I can talk for 45 minutes about an aircraft engine. Not aircraft engines, a specific engine and posts the PDF of the manual on his Patreon. He did four hours on the Ki-84. If he's full of poo poo, I can't tell, he's working at detail levels about aviation technology I can't really check him on. He's also got plenty of more approachable videos, and along with Rex' Hangar and Dark Skies helps keep me in warbird stories.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I saw one of his thumbnails and instantly wrote it off as history channel dad clickbait. Good racket though

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Letmebefrank posted:

Back to basics :china:

(Claimed to be "wolfs' fangs mace" )

More like 坏龙

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mllaneza posted:

Dark Skies

I try to watch the Dark * videos (he has some others) but the voiceovers work in these rapid bursts that I have a hard time following. Greg's stuff is really nice though. Actually having him go on and on makes for some good background since I can come in and out of it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

yaffle posted:

More like 坏龙

lol

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

That I hadn't heard of, but noted.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tom Kratman?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
A slight problem with Wages of Destruction: I don't know poo poo about monetary policy and all the shenanigans with currency are not sticking very well. I'm assuming it all is actually significant instead of it just being Adam Tooze's obsession.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's both.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Chamale posted:

Another sound effect pet peeve is that fake "kapwing!" bullet ricochet.

I was surprised to learn the very first time I went shooting that some of the ricochet sounds are 100% real, albeit fairly rare. It was a .22 shooting at hanging steel targets, if that makes a difference, but one of my shots actually went 'kapwing' and I turned to my buddy and went "that's a real sound???"

Was just talking with someone over in TFR actually of the recent apparent increase in reverence for firearms in film & TV. Producers are probably tired of dweebs on the internet picking apart consistency issues or firearm realism stuff. These days you rarely even hear the superfluous gun cocking or jangly 'handling noise' foley'd in every time a gun is onscreen.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mister Speaker posted:

Was just talking with someone over in TFR actually of the recent apparent increase in reverence for firearms in film & TV. Producers are probably tired of dweebs on the internet picking apart consistency issues or firearm realism stuff. These days you rarely even hear the superfluous gun cocking or jangly 'handling noise' foley'd in every time a gun is onscreen.
Talking completely out my rear end, the end of the Assault Weapons Ban brought a huge generational shift in gun ownership and gun culture that got reflected in media.

Just look at trigger discipline alone.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mister Speaker posted:

I was surprised to learn the very first time I went shooting that some of the ricochet sounds are 100% real, albeit fairly rare. It was a .22 shooting at hanging steel targets, if that makes a difference, but one of my shots actually went 'kapwing' and I turned to my buddy and went "that's a real sound???"

Honestly, I think tactical realism has been much more reflected in media since the 90s or so, though I think it's just reflective of a society that's more militarily aware, probably due to the internet.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I suspect there's an element of film techniques improving to the point where you can be more subtle. Also Saving Private Ryan reset everyone expectations.

E: Dan dyle is probably personally responsible for changing how Hollywood depicts warfare in a way that will not be fully appreciated until his obituary.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mister Speaker posted:

Yea it's very much a victory of CinemaSins effect at the expense of entertainment or artistry.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A slight problem with Wages of Destruction: I don't know poo poo about monetary policy and all the shenanigans with currency are not sticking very well. I'm assuming it all is actually significant instead of it just being Adam Tooze's obsession.

The short version of the foreign currency crisis is that foreign companies won't take your currency when you want to buy things from them. They typically only take their local currency, or other currencies that they know they have a use for. If you can't get foreign currency, e.g. because governments are refusing to allow people to buy your exports, then you'll rapidly run out of reserves of cash to buy imports with.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The short version of the foreign currency crisis is that foreign companies won't take your currency when you want to buy things from them. They typically only take their local currency, or other currencies that they know they have a use for. If you can't get foreign currency, e.g. because governments are refusing to allow people to buy your exports, then you'll rapidly run out of reserves of cash to buy imports with.

To add to this, the most important “reserve currencies,” the things you needed to hold a liquid supply of, were the British pound (usually referred to as sterling) or the US dollar. Sterling was probably more important at the time but the dollar would have been close - it’s difficult to say with precision because central bank policy at the time was to disclose nothing. You need foreign currency reserves to keep imports flowing smoothly. For Germany these are mostly industrial and agricultural imports - raw rubber from Malaysia, cattle feed from the US, oil from the US or Middle East (priced in sterling or dollars, depending on who you were buying from - now it’s all dollars). No reserves = no imports and all your industry crashes to a halt.

Gold was also part of the reserve, since most currencies had their value pegged to gold (nominally - you as a consumer couldn’t transact in gold in the US or GB, but central banks did could, in theory, until the end of Bretton Woods in 1971). Spending actual gold is something you want to avoid at all costs, though, since it’s the best money there is and the supply is extremely limited.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The basics are fine. Okay, I suck at those too, but now I get concussed when a whole bunch of domestic economics is going on and then BAM currency.

I will have to look for it specifically and reread but there was a section I wanted to try to understand about how German businesses were pulling a hussle in US markets to reduce debt burdens.

Something different: Adam Tooze specifically emphasized how the Nazis were not responsible for any way for the effect of increasing employment with their jobs programs; it was carryover from predecessor policy and their own stuff was kind of weak. Now I am in 1938 and there's full employment. At that point, they had done a lot and it sure looked like it had some effect. So who did what?

What I am concluding is that their civilian job programs were crap but they hit their stride when they started going crazy with military production. That makes sense to me, but is that it?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The basics are fine. Okay, I suck at those too, but now I get concussed when a whole bunch of domestic economics is going on and then BAM currency.

I will have to look for it specifically and reread but there was a section I wanted to try to understand about how German businesses were pulling a hussle in US markets to reduce debt burdens.

Something different: Adam Tooze specifically emphasized how the Nazis were not responsible for any way for the effect of increasing employment with their jobs programs; it was carryover from predecessor policy and their own stuff was kind of weak. Now I am in 1938 and there's full employment. At that point, they had done a lot and it sure looked like it had some effect. So who did what?

What I am concluding is that their civilian job programs were crap but they hit their stride when they started going crazy with military production. That makes sense to me, but is that it?

They banned women and Jews from a lot of jobs, and then stopped counting them in the unemployment rate.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Chamale posted:

They banned women and Jews from a lot of jobs, and then stopped counting them in the unemployment rate.

I am wondering if that is going to get acknowledged. Like, that would be a good chance for Adam Tooze to go on another tangent about the effect on currency or something. I know it's not a Holocaust book and that I should expect thousands of people to shed dead off each page soon, but I would figure he would lean into that.

Then again, the book seems to like to rehash years across a rolling window with different topics so maybe it'll come up in a 1938 redux in 40 pages. It was just odd to be reading about terrible unemployment, how ineffective the Nazi jobs programs were, and then about all the problems they were having due to full employment.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The world economy also improved a lot, employment would recovered significantly with a German government that did literally nothing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is there a generic history thread because I don't wanna clog up this one with something that isn't even topic adjacent. Someone posted some real weird and old fashions that were from one of the baltics region or maybe it was germans in the region or something along those lines and it looked real odd and I can't for the life of me find it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Hey everyone.

I am Chitoryu's real life best friend. I felt it necessary to inform the inhabitants of this thread that Chitoryu, real name Cody, has passed away. He was in the company of his mother, and died relatively peacefully. If anyone has any questions, I'll do the best I can to answer them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Hey everyone.

I am Chitoryu's real life best friend. I felt it necessary to inform the inhabitants of this thread that Chitoryu, real name Cody, has passed away. He was in the company of his mother, and died relatively peacefully. If anyone has any questions, I'll do the best I can to answer them.

drat, that's sad. I hope you are well. Sweet dreams Chitoryu!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hey everyone.

balls :(

he was an excellent contributor to some of the best parts of this website

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Hey everyone.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Was it something long time coming or something sudden and unexpected? When the only connection you have to people is what they post on the forums, you get either the full detailed view of their daily lives or only passing hints of what interests them the most in life. Either way, this is a sad day for all and I wish you and his family the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SerthVarnee posted:

I'm really sorry to hear that. Was it something long time coming or something sudden and unexpected? When the only connection you have to people is what they post on the forums, you get either the full detailed view of their daily lives or only passing hints of what interests them the most in life. Either way, this is a sad day for all and I wish you and his family the best.

He was hit by a car some months ago, and as far as they could tell, this was complications from undetected damage from that accident. He went in for testing on Jan 14th due to some severe jaundice and was on a ventilator and massive antibiotics and BP meds by the 16th.