Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Trin Tragula posted:

I'd also like to encourage all the lurkers who feel intimidated by big hulking megathreads to get stuck in and just ask whatever's on your mind about military history.

Alright I'll have a go then. I read a lot of ww2 memoirs and things and like to try to research little details during or after such as what did x ship look like, how big was y rifle etc.
I've been looking but probably someone who knows how to look for this kind of thing can help me, I've never really understood the hierarchy of naval ships in ww2 I get my Destroyers and Corvettes mixed up with Cruisers and Battleships. I keep hoping I'll stumble across a big diagram while I do my little searches online but never have. Just something that is concise and has the biggest ships at the top and the littlest ones at the bottom and a little blurb of why.

This comes from me recently reading about the Battle of the River Plate, The Sinking of the Scharnhorst, the one about the Bismarck, and some stuff about the Pacific.

This thread is awesome by the way, thanks for reposting those German uniform critiques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Thanks for all the good replies, the post about the levels of armour on each type helped with 'ranking' them in my head. I think part of my confusion is due to the way their roles changed through the course of the war as air craft carriers and submarines became more of the threat while battleships, at least the german ones anyway, became chained tigers. I have a bad habit of taking away the wrong interpretation of what I read though.

Did Germany ever attempt an aircraft carrier?

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Gaius Marius posted:

The Nazis built most of one,ohe Graf Zeppelin. Once things got rolling they realized their vanity project was not gonna be the best use of resources and it never got completed.

Cool thanks, now I can do some more reading:)