Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Battle off Samar, no question for me. It's not quite an "air battle" but it could be recast that way by adding some TIE fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Beardless posted:

Planes played a big role in the battle. There were Wildcats making dry strafing runs on Japanese ships after running out of ammo, that's some poo poo that could be in a Star Wars movie.

Yeah but there were zilch enemy planes.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have a weird/dumb question that is only tangentially milhist but this is the most active thread for such things and it's bothering me so I'll ask anyway :

Is there any scholarship or serious evidence on which was invented first, the spear or the axe? I randomly was thinking about the evolution of tools (hey gotta think about something when you do the dishes), and my pulled-from-the-butt tummy feels makes me assume something at least knife-adjacent, i.e. a small sharp thing you hold in your hand, would pre-date either. Then the question sort of becomes if it's more natural to have a long sharp thing or a shorter sharp thing you move in an arc. Then I started adding in the idea that the spear would be better for hunting and an axe is more useful as an all around tool, and I know there were stone hammers that eventually got sharpened variants and ahh I've got too much for my little layman's brain.

If someone magically had answers to this, that'd be great, but I guess what I'm asking for is good reading about the evolution of tools. I haven't thought about this since college when I'd take archeology courses just for funsies so I'm clueless.

I feel like the spear would come first, because you can make a kinda cruddy spear in one piece (sharpened long stick) but the axe requires some means of attachment.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Judging by the citation, that's an American or UK propaganda leaflet?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

This is reminding me that a history teacher mentioned a trench or ravine at Waterloo that essentially acted as a horse juice squeezer when the French cavalry tried to charge across not realizing it was there – is that a real thing or was it made up?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean you could just assume that he's a white supremacist or you could actually look at his twitter and see he's just a weirdo really into german history and architecture, whose retweeted numerous tweets in rememberance of the holocaust.

So it's someone HEY GUNS knows?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

xthetenth posted:

I might've gotten a bit in depth into how "combat reformer" types see tanks and defense analysis and how real analysts look at tank engagements in LatwPIAT's lovely phoenix command king tiger vs abrams thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959659&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1), should I straight up cross-post it here? I've got a rundown of how Mike Sparks' fursona (may or may not actually be him) sees tanks, the much more insane view of Pierre Sprey (yes, more insane than Mike Sparks which should tell you something) and then a bunch of the guts from a 1950s US military paper on combat experiences of armor in WWII. It's a lot of words, mind.

:justpost:
Do it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Molentik posted:

I loved that book as a kid, still have it somewhere. Theres also castles and battleships etc.

Those are great, but one of my favorite things is that the Star Wars one was written or edited or something by a dude who was pissed off at versus arguments online and added a shitton of zeroes to every weapons stat to own the Trekkies.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Are airforces in play in this hypothetical?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

LatwPIAT posted:

That thread was the inspiration for the second best thread I have made on this forum (I’ve made two threads).

Ah yes, that was a classic.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

The telegram goes way beyond just the speed of the communication, it also has to do with the reliability of the communication and the speed with which you can ask for confirmation that the communication was read. If you've got some poo poo happening 100 miles away from higher command and need them to send reinforcements (or push out in a different direction, or send additional supplies, or whatever else) there's a huge difference between sending a rider and sending a telegram. The rider is going to take time to physically travel and might get waylaid or fall of his horse and break his neck or anything else and just never get there. And the only way you have to know that your message wasn't received is to wait as long as a response SHOULD take and then send more riders if that doesn't come. Of course you can do poo poo like sending multiple people via different routes to increase the chances of the message getting through, but at the end of the day you can't fix the problem that horses can't travel 100 miles instantaneously.

Meanwhile as long as your telegram lines aren't cut you can get that message 100 miles away drat near instantaneously and get a response ASAP as well. So not only do you know that your plight is understood, but ideally you've had some follow up communication and know that you should expect the supplies in a week, or another corps is feinting in another direction, or whatever else the solution is.

Communication in wartime is loving huge.

This discussion reminded me of a thought I had reading the Eighty-Six light novel series. In that setting, various noble bloodlines have/had their own distinct psychic power, which were considered much more important in the past. The Giad Empire's ruling line had the ability to use clairvoyance on anyone whose face and name they were familiar with, and their immediate subordinate bloodline had the ability to exchange psychic messages with members of their immediate family. So once I realized that my thoughts were something along the lines of "no wonder they built the largest and most warlike empire on the continent, they were fighting early modern battles with spy sats and cellphones." This isn't something the author comments on particularly, but I feel like she either thought about it making the setting, or got rather lucky having it make sense that way.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Memento posted:

That took me a second but it's a solid reference

Gotta love sexagesimal numbers.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Not to mention that there's a decent chance the Lexingtons' first battle would be Savo Island.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I suppose it's necessary for training in the fundamentals of the double bladed lightsaber, I guess

Is that the current USMC anti-balrog doctrine?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So I was watching a TV show and it made me wonder about something.

In the show an officer requests fire support for her squad and is turned down. Her response to this is to coerce a technician into hacking the unmanned artillery systems they use so she can run her own drat fire support. For this, she's demoted one rank and it's implied that she'll never be promoted. This is considered to be a very light punishment due to nepotism and/or the general dysfunction of her country's military.

I was wondering, what the heck punishment would you get for something like that in real life? It's probably not a thing that comes up much.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 26, 2022

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Shouldn’t Iraq ‘91 count? It was one of the top five largest armies at the time or something?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Is this the second or the third time?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Now we've got junior enlisted loving their rifles, sir.

As long as nobody gets married or pregnant it's fine.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

Though I hope all the incest is wildly unrealistic…

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Nessus posted:

If you can get a quarter mile per kedge, and you end up being able to do four kedges an hour, that's a mile per hour - and there will, presumably, be wind eventually.

Is there an anime where they kedge super-dramatically? It feels like it should be a thing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The targeting system and reliability were kinda crap.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Cessna posted:

(Excellent story snipped.)

I've had similar things happen while flying. I once made a decent to avoid what I thought was another plane, a white light that looked like a landing light off to my side - it wasn't moving, so my first thought was that it was headed right for me. Turns out it was Jupiter.

I forget where the source was, but at least one person has died this way. It became a thing in ufo circles because that’s how it was reported over the radio.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

There's "highbush" and "lowbush" varieties, so I guess it just depends on how tall you want your crop to be.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Didn't the pre-dreadnoughts accidentally save the fleet in the middle of the night due to sheer random chance? Or am I misremembering one of the many, many dumb things that happened that night.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

SerCypher posted:

There was an AA weapon largely based off this principle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holman_Projector

Its basically just a t-shirt cannon but it shoots mills bombs. Sort of a weapon of desperation in the early days of the war.

Supposedly German pilots would get nervous from all the explosions and black puffs of smoke as they thought they were proper AA guns. It's hard to hit a ship in the best of times so anything little thing to throw off the enemy pilot helps.

Early AA weapons were wild, like the unrotated projectile.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pretty sure it's shorter than our current one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

ponzicar posted:

This makes me wonder if there were any designs for military equipment or vehicles that were actually very good, but rejected because they looked too ridiculous or girly.

Isn't salmon pink actually the best color for being unseen at night but nobody is willing to wear it?