Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Neophyte posted:

Is there a date/source/further info for this Japanese Pearl Harbor propaganda film in English?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9vk9AkJVEk

A quick google didn't really help, I'm curious as to who it was intended for and how it was distributed. Also would like to see the whole newsreel(?) or whatever it was.

The end sort of hints at it being in other languages too with that French card. Maybe for distribution to the international section of Shanghai? Even then, that portion of the city was taken on December 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Kolberg, I believe.

Yeah, but it's about Frederick III. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolberg_(film) It was for a period of time one of the most expensive films ever made, I don't think it still is, and that speaks volumes about Nazi priorities at the end of the war.

German civilians had a pretty good general idea by mid-war what was going on in the east due to railroad workers as well. They not only knew things were going badly, and were worried about Soviet vengeance, but they were also aware that Jews and other "undesirables" were being shipped off to the east. The propagandists did their best and public talk of defeat was punishable but it's hard to keep events of that scale under wraps.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

Sorry I know this isn't technically Milhist but I was totally unaware of this and so would like to know more.

Japanese adopted writing horizontal text from left to right, yokogaki (横書き), as part of modernization language reforms. Japanese is often written vertically and still read from right to left in that instance though, hence why Japanese books are reversed relative to those written in languages that go from left to right. You will often see right to left horizontal orientation in temple and old timey signs though.

Chinese used to do this as well but after 1949 went over to primarily horizonal writing, from left to right. Most Chinese speaking areas outside the PRC gradually adopted these changes too.

It's my understanding that Korean is mostly done vertically still but has horizontal text written from left to right.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

aphid_licker posted:

As in the runup to WW2 the gambles ze Germans had to take to have a theoretical chance of winning should have tipped them off that they should probably rethink their whole approach to the problem of having other countries in Europe.

Hitler's ambitions and lack of foresight make perfect sense when you find out the regimen of drugs and other stuff he was on.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

White Coke posted:

He thought that no one else in Germany, even the other Nazis, had the guts to exploit the opportunities he saw and worried that if he died Germany would be doomed because it wouldn't have a leader brave enough to take them to victory. I don't know how much of that was the drugs versus his fear of mortality, I think he had a health scare before the Sudeten Crisis, and he turned 50 in 1939.

That was partly sarcastic but a lot of that was in Hitler's personality before, the drugs exasperated it as substance abuse usually does, and he went full crazy cult leader after the Munich Conference, in that he totally bought all the propaganda about himself in a way he hadn't before. It's arguable that Hitler believed himself to be what the propaganda said he was before then but he really took on a messianic delusion when he kept inexplicably winning when he should have been losing. He was even in a lot of ways publicly a "volcel" because he believed he had to project an air of unapproachable manhood and strength. It's one of the main reasons he didn't marry Eva Braun until right before they died or publicly acknowledge her being his girlfriend.

He wasn't only high on his doctor's supply but his own.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

France in particular makes the problem a little trickier, I'll agree.

The British were quite concerned about a "reverse WWII" though - essentially it kicks off in Asia on a global basis and the Germans use it as an opportunity. I wonder if they would have fully committed to Asia in early 1939 with a similar geopolitical situation in Europe. This is fairly GBH though.

It's hard to judge how they would have reacted because I don't know how Chamerlain felt about China and Japan but Churchill was very much of the mindset throughout the war that it would be great if both Chiang and the Japanese could lose. The India situation might have been more interesting too with a possibly stronger China backing Gandhi, Chiang and Gandhi met and had a good rapport as fellow anti-imperialists.

Chiang essentially predicted the Japanese invasion of China within a couple months and his plan was always to hold out until a great power entered the war on China's side. I can see Britain becoming more involved earlier on if only for the proposition of keeping China weak or "under wraps" in terms of regional power. China getting more aid earlier on could have meant their economy stabilized and wasn't wracked by runaway inflation, which would have weakened the communists. This isn't even taking into account how the Soviets would react in terms of aid sent to the Nationalists with the war widening earlier on and their influence on the KMT eroding even faster.

The bigger question is that if the war widen earlier in the Pacific, would the US have been more gung ho about sanctions and lend lease to China and would Japan have struck the US or the Philippines earlier, bringing them into the war? It's a lot of GBH type stuff but this is all chaos theory from top to bottom.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

Assuming that Japan had emerged victorious in the Pacific, they would at least have an intact and probably superior air arm instead of Soviet air supremacy. As it were, Russians were able to conduct the last airborne landings of the war in Manchuria and southern Sakhalin.

It's going to be the IJA so it's not like their air force is the cream of the crop that comes to mind when we think of Japanese fighter pilots. The Zero was IJN exclusive so it's not like the Navy is going to get over their petty rivalry when the army takes the route they opposed in the debates. The IJA was mostly bombing Chongqing and flying unopposed so it's not like their pilots had experience in dog fights.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
One of the underreported and untalked about things in the immediate postwar period is that Japanese soldiers were taken on by both the ROC and PLA in China to be used as experts and soldiers. Some of them even took on Japanese names and never repatriated to Japan. No one high up or at a von Braun level expert but people who knew how to use and maintain industrial and electrical technology.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
El-Ouali Mustapha Sayed, the first president of the Sahrawi Republic (Western Sahara), died in battle in 1976 although it's an unrecognized state.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
After the Sino-Soviet split, there was a growing trend in “Yellow Peril” style racism among Soviet generals who feared that the Soviet Far East would be overrun by China. Pretty much the same circles of generals that went to Aleksandr Dugin for a new ideology for the Russian people to rally behind around the end of the Soviet Union when they saw communism was failing, had failed. Ironically there was a defense paper put out by the DoD recently about just such a scenario where China just comes in and takes Siberia for the resources since Russia’s population is/was declining and the Far East has always been sparsely populated for obvious reasons.

After China got atomic weapons too, the USSR’s fears about China got much worse. The Chinese invasion of Vietnam was also more about China sending a message to Soviet allied states in the region that the USSR wouldn’t step in and save them if decided to mess with China’s influence areas. I don’t think Deng had any love for Pol Pot considering the Khmer Rouge’s entire platform was “The Cultural Revolution x10, Hardcore Edition.” Zhou Enlai also told him not to carry out his plans for a program like the Cultural Revolution as best he could but Pol Pot wouldn’t listen.

There’s a good argument that Vietnam was in a way remaking former Indochina as a hegemonic area of control because they pretty much controlled Laos at the time of the Cambodian invasion. I could be wrong but I think Ho Chi Minh also had aspirations of making then Indochina into a communist union like state akin to the USSR or Yugoslavia.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Taerkar posted:

Most of them had no real delusions of actually beating the US in a drawn out fight, they were counting on that Decisive Battle that would cause the US Public to call for a ceasefire that was advantageous to Japan. Of course this plan was thwarted with the way they started their war, both in terms of how it angered the US populace and how it basically crippled one of the main plans the USN had for fighting, though chances are that it wouldn't have happened anyways.

They wanted and needed a Short Victorious War.

The same was true with China. They were under the delusion that Chiang would fold soon after they took Nanjing.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
In Fog of War, Robert McNamara, who served under Le May, talks about how the reduction of altitude on the bombers was something the crews hated because they were aware of the risks before and after the reduction but Le May demanded it despite the risks.

It's interesting that Le May talked about how they'd be tried as war criminals if the US lost the war but the Allies didn't try anyone for Axis bombing campaigns. Were there any calls internally for that or did they just think it would be hypocritical considering the Allied bombing campaigns, especially the firebombing of the Japanese home islands and Dresden?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SerCypher posted:

If the Allies lost, every general and politician would likely have been tried for war crimes.

So that statement may be more about how vindictive the Japanese/Germans would be if they won.

I honestly don't think they would have bothered with even show trials. Just concentration camp imprisonment until death or execution.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cessna posted:

You're looking to the Nazis and Imperial Japan as the standard of justice?

No, just the bizarre belief LeMay had that he'd be on trial for actions against powers that didn't do trials for their enemies, domestic or foreign. It was more me not being aware of any Axis generals or admirals charged for the terror bombings they ordered carried out. Like Donitz, they obviously couldn't try the Germans for the Blitz because the Allies did that and then some to Germany and Japan.

It was probably just LeMay making excuses but McNamara took him literally and as feeling possibly repentant for his actions. We know from LeMay's brief political career that he probably wasn't repentant at all or felt what he had done was wrong.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Weren't Goering's charges based in part on him being head of the Luftwaffe during the Blitz?

Yes but the 4 charges at Nuremberg were broad.

quote:

1. Participation in a common plan or conspiracy for the accomplishment of a crime against peace
2. Planning, initiating and waging wars of aggression and other crimes against peace
3. Participating in war crimes
4. Crimes against humanity

EDIT:

As shown in the above post, he was found guilty of all 4 but he was supposed to be Hitler's successor until Borman manipulated Hitler into thinking he was planning a coup. He was the highest profile person on trial despite Donitz being the Reichsprasident.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 25, 2021

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Albert Speer was really the only one who survived who was able to get out of any serious consequences for his actions. He even had a career after getting out of Spandau.

Hess was saved by his own insanity and taking himself out of the war at the start but he did spend the rest of his life in Spandau and then hung himself.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just to add it for posterity.

My grandfather was at a Catholic school and the nuns told him to enlist because he wasn't going to do "anything better with his life". He ended up as a Sea Bee with a bunch of older men from different backgrounds and had resolved he'd go to California after the war with some of them to start a new life. He was on guard duty one night with a guy and a Japanese suicide squad came through on Guam. He held his fellow guardsmen together, who had broken down, while holding off the Japanese until the Marines came to deal with them. He lost all of his friends on a mission where they were detonating some stuff off shore and they told him to swim to shore to let some patrolling Marines know to move back to avoid damage. He swam out to them but while he was doing it, the boat would explode with all lives lost. When he got to shore, the Marines were gone but he eventually got back to home base somehow. He'd get a service award but lose it due to running a still. After the war ended, they asked him if he wanted to watch an atomic bomb go off but he just wanted to go home. After that, he ended up working for GE and as a draftsman for the space program and worked for NASA through GE for decades.

My grandfather was given his last rites three times during the war due to conditions and I'm thankful he at least got to be in my life despite those conditions.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 30, 2021

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fangz posted:

Pretty good, I think. He's an actual historian too.

Yeah, I've watched a number of his videos and they seem pretty good. I was suspicious at first since a lot of them are on Nazis but he doesn't come off as a Wehraboo by any stretch that I've seen.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I remember someone did an effort post on here, forget what subforum or thread, on the war crimes committed by the irl ships depicted in Kancolle, the WWII warships as anime girls games. Half the originally included IJN ships were implicated in their sailors beating to death, machine gunning, and/or drowning Allied sailors and pilots whose ships had sunk or planes crashed.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They probably did it as a PR scheme for the NVA. They were pretty unpopular and had issues meeting their recruitment quotas.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Scratch Monkey posted:

Before Russia entered the war against Japan they felt compelled to intern American and British aircrews that landed in soviet territory and would often just toss them into the gulag system

They also kept the aircraft too and reverse engineered them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-4

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 23, 2021

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beria was merely a mentor to many young girls.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Opium was one of the few exports that kept India in the black and the colonial government were really the only ones pushing for it by the late 1800's. The illegalization of opium, the banning of the trade, and the Japanese taking over in China pretty much destroyed that whole sector of the economy.

The Congo Free State was kind of an attempt at breaking the debt trap of colonial administration by making it the most brutal and rapine colonial administration that went beyond some states like Manchukuo. Manchukuo was kind of another attempt at this, to make a state whose sole purpose was to fuel a total war economy for the Imperial Japanese military. Even being a narcostate that was making an immense amount of profit, it was untenable due to the costs of maintaining a brutal, pariah police state.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Cao Cao is the pinyin transliteration, created by the PRC government, which is the most accurate and modern one for Mandarin. Others are usually Wade-Giles, an outdated one from the 19th century. The other ones probably predate Wade-Giles or the author decided to go "phonetic."

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Chinese tones for words changed over the centuries and usually matched where the dominant court was from or chose to draw their dialect or accent from. The current "official textbook" form is based on Beijing Mandarin and this is what is used in state media. Students usually learn this form of Mandarin but with a regional dialect similar to how Americans for instance have regional accents. Americans for instance, such as myself, usually learn the Beijing dialect, complete with -ers, pronounced like ar, added on to the end of words like yidianer, very little, or gemener, a colloquial form of brother(s), and someone from Shanghai would omit that ending, such as saying "yidiandian" to get the same less formal meaning. People from the southern provinces will often omit the h in sh sounds so it's pronounced si instead of shi, which is "is."

The best way to pronounce Mandarin Chinese in a fashion where most will understand you who speak Mandarin is to learn the standard pronunciation you find online and in textbooks, try to do the tones, and often if you speak it fast enough, it's better understood.

EDIT:

The reason why stuff in Wade-Giles is still floating around is because the US, and I think the UK, didn't start to switch over until 1979. The ROC was going to carry out a program like pinyin and simplify Chinese characters like the PRC did but they never got a chance to really develop it due to being the ROC. Since the PRC did it first, Taiwan went the exact opposite route and used traditional characters and teaching using bopomofo, a system developed in a similar way to Japanese kana but is not used outside of elementary Mandarin study in Taiwan. It became a big propaganda tool in the 60's and 70's where Taiwan (ROC) presented themselves as the saviors of Chinese culture while Red Guards were literally destroying it.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 23, 2021

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Did the Germans in the 40s have the understanding to properly use Uranium?

It's density is up there with Tungsten but it doesn't have the same hardness so modern DU penetrators rely on self sharpening due to material abrasion to keep sharp. Would this still happen in a standard jacketed penetrator that was used at the time.

The Reich Postal Ministry was more interested in making a functioning bomb while delivering the mail on time so they didn't quite get there. All the others didn't really have an idea of what they were doing.

Depleted Uranium didn't become an avenue of research until the 70's when the US needed to find something to pierce the armor of newer Warsaw Pact tanks. I don't think there was enough depleted Uranium around in the 40's to consider using it as a shell.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VostokProgram posted:

What colors did the Soviet military use to denote friendly and enemy forces on maps and wargames?

https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1028&context=dodmilintel (PDF)

The opposite of the US and I believe NATO, so red for friendly and blue for enemy.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
American presidents would often doodle in their notes and a good deal of them are saved due to document retention laws.

Not the best site but a good compilation of examples. https://www.ranker.com/list/drawings-made-by-us-presidents/melissa-brinks Not nearly as well done as the Kaiser's.

EDIT: Stalin would often write jokes and essentially shitposts on art and other documents sent to him for review for censorship.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/stalin-s-crude-side-laid-bare-1845109.html

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 4, 2022

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I can't remember the short story's title but it was about a victory celebration held in the Volkshalle after the Axis won the war and the Volkshalle, newly completed, collapses. It kills the leadership of pretty much every Axis country, all of Germany's, and causes all of those countries to break into civil war and chaos. It owned.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think the biggest flaw in most, "the Axis wins" scenarios is that they ignore the general incompetency of the regimes and how for instance the entire Nazis economic plan and rebuilding before WWII was a massive credit scam. If Germany hadn't invaded Poland, the economy would have collapsed under the Ponzi scheme that was the MeFo plan. The Nazis couldn't even agree on what to do with Eastern Europe either and the SS plan, to turn it into a quasi-feudal connection of fortress towns run by the SS would have not improved Germany's agricultural "issues" and probably led to a civil war on its own. I don't even think the SS could agree on that either. The Japanese were much the same, just a chaotic mess under a façade of highly centralized authoritarian control that was largely a myth.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PeterCat posted:

I'm being a little flippant, but he gives her this pin:

and says this:

That's the Golden Party Badge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Party_Badge. It was a special award given to party members, male and female, for excellence in the arts of being an abhorrent human being. In typical Nazi fashion they were all numbered so someone else couldn't hold it or wear it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

So you're saying Nazis invented NFTs?

Loser nerds have always been obsessed with exclusivity and "collectability."

A similar thing, that was even crazier, were the SS-Ehrenring https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS-Ehrenring. Each ring was bespoke, holding the name of the holder and the date of issue, and on death of the holder had to be interred in Wewelsburg Castle. If the holder died in combat, the SS members had to go out of their way to retrieve it because it was considered comparable to a banner or other award. About 36% of them are missing and it's believed there's a bag full of them at the bottom of a lake in Germany, which would be worth a lot of money. It's peak, taking your stupid cosplay poo poo way too seriously.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

Is this the same Nazi fashion in which the Order of Lenin were also individually numbered and marked in a little booklet?

I think with the Order of Lenin it was more for tracking the medals, 431,418 were given out in the history of the Soviet Union, and less, "This is so and so's badge so you can't wear it." The Golden Party Badge number was their party membership number, except Hitler's was 1 instead of 555 or 55, they inflated party numbers by 500 in the early days.

The Nazis were more obsessed with "stolen valor," mainly from projection because most of them except Hitler and Goring were obsessed with pumping up their own credentials since a lot of their pre-party history was fabricated or misrepresented to make them seem better. Goebbels for instance would not correct rumors or assertions his clubbed foot was a WWI injury because he didn't serve and he was born with it, which obviously isn't a good thing for a high ranking Nazi.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm surprised Ed Asner would do an Army ad but it's mostly leading in social programs so I'm sure that's the reason.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
From what I read, most the minor Axis powers were a "joke" because they didn't even have proper equipment and were pressed into fighting on the Eastern Front by the Germans and their respective fascist governments hoping to get some chunks of the USSR. In typical Nazi fashion they expected these nations to be on the frontlines with the Germans, based on nothing but troop numbers, but very soon found out that was impossible and just relegated them mainly to garrison and rear line duty. The only "foreign troops" that really fought on the frontlines, purposely and not because of line collapses bringing them to the front, were the Waffen-SS and Wehrmacht foreign volunteers groups, like the Spanish Blue Division, because they were armed and supplied as German forces.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Natty Ninefingers posted:

And then once the forties are done you end up under an ugly communist dictatorship.
…. and then you end up with Nicolae Ceaușescu.

They at least corrected that last mistake with extreme prejudice.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
On the subject of opium in China, Japan had a large stake in the Chinese market after Britain pulled out. Manchukuo, the Manchurian puppet state, was possibly one of the first narco states in the world. Japanese citizens and soldiers were forbidden from using, the punishment for use was being stripped of Japanese citizenship. The Kwantung Army saw it as a useful tool to not only break China but also fund the militarization of Manchukuo, which they wanted to turn Manchuria into a model Wehrstaat, or "defense state," based on German principles. Since Japan itself was dominated by the Zaibatsu, it allowed the military to make a totalitarian industrial state where they could do essentially whatever they wanted without any oversight.

Nobusuke Kishi, Shinzo Abe's maternal grandfather, was the mastermind behind this economic system and he would go in October of 1941 to implement similar systems in Japan as they prepared for war against most of the western world.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
No Kum-sok https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Kum-sok defected two months after the end of the Korean War with a MIG-15. He was incredibly lucky as he chose to land on the runway in the wrong direction, narrowly missing a landing F-86 Sabre and alluding air defenses, which would have shot him down if he landed in the correct direction. He was also unaware of Operation Moolah at the time and got the equivalent of $1,012,811 and asylum in the US for his MIG. Probably one of the luckiest people in history.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Fairly common. Not wartime common where everyone was getting hit, but it wasn't something weird or unexpected either.

Elvis famously got drafted during that period. There's some weird poo poo there about how I think me might have volunteered ahead of his draft notice to pick his branc or . . . something? Dunno, poo poo gets weird because of his manager not wanting him in the military entertainment units because then any performances would be army property and they could sell them etc. Still, the core issue of him having to go into the military when he would have preferred not to is there.

Col. Tom Parker also wanted Elvis to do regular service because he thought it would make him more subservient to him.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I can't find the pictures, other than her in uniform, but I distinctly remember her not wearing a uniform all the time others were even though she was in the Navy. She was like the Counselor Troi of the crew in that it was always casual dress for her save a couple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
On the subject of why France didn't go fash in the interwar period, France didn't have something akin to the German Revolution of 1918-1919 decimating the political left. Aside from the riots and street fights that happen, most notably from the far right with the 6 February 1934 crisis, there wasn't the national memory of a civil war immediately coinciding a moment of national humiliation. The French political system was also designed in a way that a guy could not just be given power by someone above him and then use his party's plurality in the legislature to give himself more powers until finally taking the highest seat in the government, combining them, and then becoming a dictator. I could be wrong about that but I'm not an expert on French politics of that era but it seems like the President really stood alone as chief executive. A far right party or parties would have had to have taken both French legislative houses in the Third Republic to put in a fascist President.

The political structure of Weimar Germany was also completely different from France's. I'm sure most people in this thread know this but the Nazis largely came to power by browbeating a most likely senile Paul von Hindenburg, along with being cheered to the Chancellorship by most of Germany's industrial leaders. There's also the factor that often gets overlooked that intelligence reports told Hindenburg and other high ranking officials that if hostilities were to break out between the KPD and NSDAP, essentially 1918-1919 all over again, the German government would be unable to restrain both of them at once. Hindenburg then makes Hitler Chancellor, which at that time wasn't that powerful, essentially the head of the cabinet, but once his foot is in the door, the Nazis radically change this position and then literally beat their way into power at the voting booths in subsequent elections.