Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ensign Expendable posted:

T-34 was basically World of Tanks: The Movie. I still haven't seen it, maybe I can do a video series on awful Russian war movies.

Do it, I love comically bad and weird war movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

best bale posted:

Poilu The World War I Notebooks of Corporal Louis Barthas, Barrelmaker 1914-1918

I don’t see this book mentioned very often, but it’s fantastic. Memoir of French infantryman who fought all 4 years which was finally translated into English in 2014

I mean he sources quotes constantly from our sardonic barrel maker and his current avatar is of him now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Still fighting the good cause, I really need to get that book.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Does being assassinated moments after taking power count?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yes, we and a lot of other people would greatly appreciate it still.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

'Excuse me, I am looking for Landwehr?'

'Oh sorry, they are over there look for the peaked forage caps...'

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

wdarkk posted:

This is reminding me that a history teacher mentioned a trench or ravine at Waterloo that essentially acted as a horse juice squeezer when the French cavalry tried to charge across not realizing it was there – is that a real thing or was it made up?

It was more of the rise of the ridge and the edges of the nearby Farm House sort of funneling them together making it very hard to manauver or use their full mass.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cessna posted:

Why not just:

Thatoneguyintimecommanders.jpeg

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think I see what you mean, but I feel like what you're picking up on is that this is an extremely stripped-down, minimalistic war machine. That's more down to the limitations they were operating under (being unable to afford pleasantries) and the fact that it's a rocket plane (which doesn't need lifting surfaces, just control surfaces, thus the tiny wings) than it is to any particular evil on the part of the designers, I think. I feel like I'd get a similar grim brutality from pretty much any cheap-but-lethal machine, anyway.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm just trying to rationalize things because I used this plane in the design for one of the bosses for my game.

On an unrelated note, I'd never before noticed that they just slapped some sights on the exterior of the fuselage.

It's awful when you isolate the concept but sadly it yet another note in the horrifying crimes against humanity concerto that is the 2nd World War.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

GotLag posted:

Edit: The Kangaroos didn't even have seats, just eight dudes awkwardly milling around in an empty turret well and trying not to stand on the drive shaft

Now now, some of the men squatted or sat on their packs.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Beardless posted:

Now that you point it out, absolutely. I think it's the dog-end combined with the multiple (looted?) rings.

My god, I see it too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Haha technology also oh god.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Solid find.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Plundering the population does not end well.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Britain just can't catch a break :smith:

Vaguely related, I watched Waterloo as I usually do every one or two years and it still cracks me up the movie barely shows you why the Union Brigade is attacking. Just a brief shot of a battery being briefly sabered without mentioning the whole scattering a divisional level amount of men before they run out of steam and are lanced.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Twice the visual range to track where the parts fell off at!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

I feel like there's got to be a strong correlation between browsing this sort of thread, and happy childhood hours spent going "oohh" at Stephen Biesty's lovingly-rendered illustrations of arrow-studded corpses being hauled from a moat by a dude with a big hook.

There is, every time I see that image or the talk of the castle I grin remembering the same drat book.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I have one of the old pre-prequel era SW era cross section books with a bunch of a OT trilogy props they went crazy with and I refuse to get rid of it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Libluini posted:

I'd consider The Legend of the Galactic Heroes future milhist anime. A perfect mix.

*nods quietly and vaguely gestures whilst drinking wine*

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

White Coke posted:

Are the crimes committed by criminals who use robots?

Drunks, Yakuza, the odd KGB Agent...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

To me they seemed to be a combination of Sweden, Medieval pre-Russia and parts of the PLC.

Being a fantasy creation and all they can be two things or more.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

White Coke posted:

So they fight human crimes? Or are there KGBots?

They fight idiots who hijack giant robots and assume having a giant robot is the only thing you get is the one step to profit. Also, hunger and the general irritation of the public.

It's more of a 'what is the regional cops have access to giant robots but are still sort of tired midlly annoyed cops doing day to day' than 'HOLY poo poo THESE COMMANDO ELITE GOT TO SAVE THE WORLD FROM EXPLODING' sort of deal, well except oddly enough that movie already mentioned.

It's like Police Academy too in some ways, but it actually makes effort.

SerCypher posted:

Armor Hunter Mellowlink!

Metal Gear Boss Fight; The Anime.

Just imagine a Gruff Snake type using his brains and little resources to murder assholes with giant robots without a giant robot.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It took a few attempts to really settle and take the fight to Spain, The Anglo-Portugeese forces had to dance back and forth between Portugal and and Spain's borders dealing with fortresses and several Marshals after returning with the three different versions of Spain's resistence trying to consolidate themselves enough to push back the Bonapartists.

During this whole time too the Royal Navy is doing all kinds of antics as well.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Georgian satire drawing geese pecking at French soldiers on Spanish boder.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nobody likes burning seamen.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I remember my old man telling me they had instructions to put people out their misery if the proposed Sarin attacks occured and things were overwhelmed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Also I bought a flintlock musket recently and was going to share pics, but the delivery company managed to snap the stock of it in transport so now I'm frantically getting some wood glue to try and repair some of the damage.

FSFGGGSSHGHGFGHghj!

Seriously!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Does the Buffalo have a pickehaube?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That certainly is a Buffalo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

Yes, I am sure there was absolutely nothing else Sweden was doing at the time that kept the Germans from attacking.

Ore? what ore? we have none now.

Now if you excuse me, I am going to count my bloody money in the corner.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

SerCypher posted:

Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free.

Oh god don't ask a Nazi to milk a cow.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

I would be morbidly interested to see what type of horrific machinery they would design to do it.

Imagine each horrible scenario for that cow as every competing Nazi and their departments rush to extract milk. Most end with the cow dead or somehow worse by many means with the milk barely extracted, not extracted at all (but spinned to be a good thing) or somehow tracked and on fire.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They used Y-Lighter barges as well when they could in the 1st World War.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I for one enjoyed their series that covered the wars, you are just a stick in the mud grouch.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alright, explain to me why that series was wrong because I saw through all of the Napoleonic Wars stuff and it was pretty on and to the point with the play by play of the battles and time line stuff.

Aside from the dumb name of the production company and the Wikipedia asset info graphics I legit cannot see the reason for your complaints now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tiger Crazy posted:

So pretty much the same thing that was used when landing troops 200 years earlier. I should have expected not much changed going into WWI much like the rest of the war.

So yeah, this is that strange 'Backwards 1st World War Stuff' misunderstanding that unconsciously rears it's ugly head because of the passage of time and how things change we cannot comprehend that said conflict like all wars bridged technology and tactics that change and develop over time and experince.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

FastestGunAlive posted:

My favorite history channel show as a kid was clash of warriors, the music was iconic to me

Intolrance?

Also, Epic History has nothing to do with the History Channel as the man behind the thing apparently left in 2013?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pre-War British Army, even with the territorials is smol compared to the scarily conscript backed armies of everyone else.

But hey we're good at holding the corners of Belgium up!

The BEF, that thing you wedge under a piece of squeaky furniture.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I imagine for something that size and carrying that many things they'd either drop the stuff off somewhere safe or have a huge screen of boats to prevent any kind of attacking thing going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Step 1) Oh god our officers and commanders haven't fought a proper war since Napoleon.

Step 2) OH GOD WHY.

Step 3) Found a college after said war and really crack down on the whole cash for comission thing.

A gross over simplification I know, but comedy forums.