Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm going to guess that it's kinda like car cruise control in that it looks for things that are both a) big and b) moving. Then it flags for the tank commanders attention to take a look and see what it actually is.
Stationary objects may be ignored as being extremely difficult to tell from terrain, but if it sees something move and gets the commander to look in the right direction two seconds earlier than he otherwise would have then it has done its job.

As long as it’s doing a Clippy(tm) noise to attract attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Panzeh posted:

There was a shakeup in 1954-55, and the main beneficiaries were southerners who didn't have to sit through the purges and arrived just in time to get into Politburo positions, Le Duan being the biggest one. Giap and Ho were too prominent to outright be purged out, but they no longer had executive power.

It’s not quite milhist, but is there a general overview of the power structures during/post Vietnam war. Who was purging who etc.?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Cessna posted:

Yeah, sorry. I deal with this sort of thing all day long at work, so I sorta spiraled into pedantry there.

I get "but boss, the fence isn't where it should be" calls too often.

Does the modern GPS not have enough resolution to be useful as a replacement for boundary descriptions?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Thank you all and sorry for the derail. To connect it to the military topic would you need more that 3 inches of American naval vessel to cross into Chinese territorial waters before scrambling interception jets? Please disregard super villain submarine in this scenario.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Speaking of blockade/access restriction, do modern navies still uses minefields in any capacity or did the detection become so trivial in recent history to render them obsolete?