Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hunt11 posted:

Why was this a thing?

Square bullets were considered to be more damaging at the time or at least by the inventor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GotLag posted:

If a nuke is just a really big, really expensive bomb that's never been tested in combat and isn't perceived by the world at large as being a war-ender, does anyone go to the trouble and expense of building a lot of them, especially after the big war has just finished?

The US developed, tested, and built an unknown (but greater than 0) number of purely conventional MOABs, so probably.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In terms of relatively not-bad dictators, I'll put Ismet Inonu on the table.

Comedy options: Trujillo of the Dominican Republic and Ataturk of Turkey.

shame about the massacres and genocide, aside from that they did good things

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Carillon posted:

I thought there was a bunch right? It's not just apply and that's it, there's a whole nomination process isn't there?

Using West Point as an example:

quote:

Nomination Sources
U.S. Senators, Representatives, and Delegates, The President of the U.S. (including the governor of Puerto Rico and the delegates to Congress from Guam, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and Northern Marianas Islands)
The Vice President of the U.S.
Army (Active, Reserve, and National Guard)
Army Junior and Senior Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) Units and Honor ROTC Units of other services
Children of deceased or disabled veterans and children of prisoners of war or servicemembers missing in action
Children of Medal of Honor Awardees

So...much easier if you know your Congressional Representative personally.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Tias posted:

A later editorial found out what it was and what it was used for, but can you tell? :)

Is it a slide rule for calculating angles and distances?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Ataxerxes posted:

My one grandfather who fought in WW2 never talked about it and I kinda wanted to find more about it.

Mine* said “I drove a general around in a Jeep.”

He did not say “through Dachau and other concentration camps.”

*I should probably add that my grandfather was American at this point.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

The samurai that established an embassy in Mexico City...did they wield katañas?

Yes. You can see the katana Hasekura Tsunenaga is wearing in the portrait done of him in Rome, and the statue in Havana at the wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasekura_Tsunenaga

They only stayed for a few months though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

IIRC, at first it was Desert Shield.

That was the defensive / buildup codename yes, with Desert Storm being the offensive codename.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Tulip posted:

But there's a very interesting and useful piece of psychology data that is probably worth considering: humans do not tend to avoid things based on statistical evidence. While there are instances where people do avoid something known to be dangerous, there are far more instances of people doing known and avoidable dangerous things. Driving without seatbelts, preferring cars over planes out of safety concerns, consumptive habits ranging from diet to tobacco to alcohol, avoiding exercise, and probably most useful for your hypothesis, dangerous but poorly paid jobs.

See also: responses to covid.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

zoux posted:

Has anyone ever had chicory before? I know that confederates cut their coffee with it after New Orleans was blockaded, but I have no idea what it tasted like.

New Orleanians still often cut their coffee with it. If you want more bitter coffee, go for it.

Cafe Du Monde Coffee Chicory https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E5JIU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_VFFBX42VSP645YS7VDSK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=

Or go full yolo but it probably won’t end well:

https://www.communitycoffee.com/products/coffee/12-oz-ground-pure-chicory

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Cessna posted:

If a person doesn't get promoted (or, for that matter, want to be promoted) in a line leadership position why not retain the as some sort of subject matter expert?

To avoid having career officers blocking everyone else from getting a promotion because they hold all the X rank jobs, which leads to stale forces. Now if there’s another way to keep them in the forces but not taking one of a very limited number of slots, maybe that’s the best of both worlds.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Cessna posted:

Sure, I understand that. I'm the one who posted the cartoon about the top-heavy Navy of the 1880s, remember?

I was actually considering looking for that before posting, but :effort:

Cessna posted:

My point here is that not every (and I'm making up examples) person who wants to do a career in the military even wants to be in one of the top X-rank jobs. Every NCO isn't going to want to be a Regimental (or above) Sergeant Major, not every officer is going to want to be a 4-star general. Instead of kicking these people out when they miss a promotion, maybe figure out some sort of way to retain them, thus keeping their technical expertise.

I thought that was literally the point of warrant officers, so I assume the military has hosed up the implementation?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Question: what would be the longest periods of service for military issue equipment that you can think of? Ships, uniforms, weapons, what not.

Just out of curiosity, was this inspired by the tweet that turned into this article?

https://twitter.com/AthertonKD/status/1412929249497989122
https://athertonkd.substack.com/p/the-deuce-the-buff-the-constitution

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

FPyat posted:

Drachnifel had a guy called Sean Chick on for a long talk. Anyone familiar with his American Civil War work? From reading his online writing it seems he believes in a middle ground between pro-Northern enthusiasm and the Lost Cause; he calls James McPherson a "neo-abolitionist."

He’s a friend’s ex. Everything else said in thread about him checks out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Err...1940s?!

1970s. It turns out if there aren’t armies around you don’t have to admit to your slaves they are free.

https://www.heraldguide.com/news/research-shows-slaves-remained-on-killona-plantation-until-1970s/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Randarkman posted:

. Also once Germany had invaded the Soviet Union the Japanese weren't really keen to break their own deal with the Soviet Union, because they were already now more or less commited to a strike south strategy and the war with Germany already basically accomplished for the time being what they were hoping to gain from conflict with Russia to begin with, which was to get them to back down from supporting China.

Don’t forget the Soviet Union had comprehensively already kicked Japan’s rear end in the East at khalkin gol, so they really weren’t itching for round 2.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

SubjectVerbObject posted:

What I have found regarding registrations:
So those registrations would not have applied. The thought right now is that he had to be registered no matter what, and the card we saw was a new one he got when he moved.

The WWII draft varied in formality. The way my grandfather told the story, his mother got a visit from the draft board that said "We need to send off one of your boys, pick which one."...and, because my greatgrandmother was a hard woman from hard times and the other twin brother was already married, she said instantly "Pick [Ulmont's grandfather]."

...but I think you're right, as the eventual Selective Service inventory (especially that Fourth Registration) was billed as "knowing everyone who was part of the manpower pool for any purpose," strongly implying everyone had to get registered and stay registered.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 12, 2022

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

my great aunt's daughter (second cousin I think? god Im' bad at that poo poo)

Great aunt and your grandparent: siblings.
Great aunt’s daughter and your parent: first cousins
Great aunt’s daughter and you: first cousin once removed.
Great aunt’s grandchild and you: second cousins.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Meanwhile argentines obsessed with the war or caring at all about the Falklands don't exist. People are sad about their loved ones who died and that's it.

On the 40th anniversary all government documents for the National Public Administration started being marked with “las Malvinas son argentinas,” so I’m not so sure.

https://www.argentina.gob.ar/noticias/las-malvinas-son-argentinas

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

On a plain economic basis, slaveowners had a lot invested into the possession of their slaves, so freeing them would mean the elimination of wealth represented by that investment. It's a big uphill battle without the ability to just pay off the loss. And that's without getting into the whole social order thing.

Russia tried to make the serfs pay off their own value to the landowners, leaving them in a debt spiral that never really worked out (xref Russian history post 1861, but especially 1861-1924).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Give me a chart of sorghum domestication across the world with an axis for time so I can inject that into my eyes. I doubt it'll magically have answers to the world's mysteries but it will be so cool to look at and think about when carrots entered the diet of people in the Balkans (or whatever).

I got sorghum, but only for Africa.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10437-018-9314-2

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

Whats the most remote, lonliest base occupied by a military force? Not counting various boats/subs/etc. Like is there a tiny base in the rear end end of alaska occupied by like fifty people whose only job is make sure russians/vampires dont invade?

rear end end of Alaska
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eareckson_Air_Station

Also in contention, rear end end of Greenland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thule_Air_Base

US/UK base in the middle of the Indian Ocean that's there for literally no reason
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Support_Facility_Diego_Garcia

e;f,b re Diego Garcia.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

MikeC posted:

Since the tribes of Manga Germania did not leave behind writing, there is little that can be verified.

…although the graphic novel collections from Manga Germania do give us some insight into the daily lives of the schoolchildren of the period…

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

I didn't understand that there was an assumed winner.

Do you guys think anyone really "won" in The Hundred Years War?

The English failed to press their claim on the French throne and ended up only holding Calais on the continent, so they sure as hell lost, which seems to leave the French the winner by process of elimination?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

zoux posted:

No and neither can the Argentinian translator I sit next to.

¡La hostia! (possibly Spain only). As evidence, I offer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouDAOhAOFDY&t=39s

¡Me cago en Dios!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Either way, you've got some coordination and communication between the Chinese and the rest of the Allies, but it's more or less the same kind of nominal cooperation that you see between the Western Allies and the USSR.

Somewhere the ghost of Claire Chennault is sad now.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like in theory anti-nazi sentiment was probably stronger than pro-nazi sentiment in the US, although the various pro-nazi incidents seem to stand out a lot more.

…although it’s clear in 193x a solid chunk of voters in the US were solidly in agreement with a racial hierarchy.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The typical ration for one adult in one week was

• Bacon or ham : 4oz or 115g
  • Other meat equivalent to 2 Shillings and 2 pence (so around 2 pork chops), prices were adjusted based on supply. If a couple of ship loads of lamb from New Zealand got through lamb prices were adjusted down for example.
  • Butter: 2oz or 56g
  • Margarine: 4oz or 56g
  • Cooking fat (mostly animal fat like lard but also potentially vegetable oil): 4oz or 115g
  • Milk: 3 pints
  • Sugar: 8oz or 130g
  • Preserves (fruit jam, marmalade or similar): 1lb or 500g every two months
  • Tea: 2oz or 56g
  • 1 fresh egg (and much more powdered egg if/when it was available)
  • Sweets (confectionery like boiled sweets, toffee etc): 12oz or 340g every four weeks
  • Cheese: 2oz or 56g
  • As many vegetables as you could afford or find

…I don’t see bread here, is that because it wasn’t rationed until post-war?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have literally never heard anyone use this term and it’s taxonomically misleading.

Glottolog not respected? https://glottolog.org/resource/languoid/id/insu1254

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Nessus posted:

Does this mean Hebrew is a dead language? It was well and widely spoken, but I don't believe it was the native tongue of anybody for thousands of years, but it's clearly come back to life and has gotten lexical innovations of various kinds in Israel. (Yiddish has also gotten a new lease on life.)

Hebrew is a revitalized language. The Hebrew spoken in Israel today is not the Hebrew that is maintained outside Israel by the Diaspora. Hebrew did, in a very real sense, die and then get resucitated as an extremely related but different language. I can't remember the kindle book I sampled on this point - it may have been Norman Berdichevsky's "Modern Hebrew: The Past and Future of a Revitalized Language - and so can't recommend anything, noting that modern Hebrew is inextricably tied up with political fights about Israel.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

功夫 gong fu doesn’t translate literally well (it’s “cultivate” and then a very complex half of a word)

So the cultivation genre really is the kung fu genre literally and not just thematically?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

MikeC posted:

I am curious as to where this speculation originates from. From a tactical standpoint, the ACW was really not much different than the Napoleonic wars.

I thought there was some proto trench warfare involved that gave a pretty big hint?

https://www.nps.gov/articles/training-for-trench-warfare.htm

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Koramei posted:

Bret Devareaux mentioned somewhere recently that campaigns stopped being summer only fairly early, first half of the 4th century iirc; from then onwards armies would be deployed for longer stretches.

quote:

the Romans seem to have had a mild, but significant, logistical edge on their opponents, able to operate armies at greater logistical reach and keep them in the field year-round (Roman warfare stopped being seasonal relatively earlier, some time in the fourth century at least), as well as having mastered the coordination of logistics between disparate theaters.
https://acoup.blog/2024/02/16/collections-phalanxs-twilight-legions-triump-part-iib-handfuls-of-maniples/

Consistent with, as one example (an easy to search one but still just one person's Master's Thesis):

quote:

In the late Republic, soldiers were on active duty year-round, and so we may expect that the total required number of years' service was smaller.
https://macsphere.mcmaster.ca/bitstream/11375/11539/1/fulltext.pdf

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

CrypticFox posted:

Bret Devereaux is very active on social media, if someone asked him to clarify what he meant by that sentence/say where the 7 years of service number comes from, he will probably respond to you. He devotes only one sentence to this in the article that was initially linked, so there may be more he was thinking about that he didn't write down.

See footnote 4:

footnote 4 posted:

To expound at some length on my own thoughts on how I think the wealth/age issue was probably managed, Dionysius (4.19.2) claims that the Romans recruited by centuries in the comitia centuriata such that the wealthy, divided into fewer voting blocks, served more often, and we know from Polybius that the maximum period of service for the infantry was sixteen years and from some math done by N. Rosenstein in Rome at War (2004) that the average service must have been around seven years. My suspicion, which I cannot prove is that the very poorest Roman assidui (men liable for conscription) might have only been serving fewer years on average and so it wasn’t a problem having them do all of their service as velites (the only role they can afford), whereas wealthier Romans (my guess is pedites IV and up) are the ones who age into the heavy infantry, with pedites I, whose members probably serve more than the seven-year average (perhaps around 10?) might make up close to 40% of the actual heavy infantry body (which is their balance in the comitia centuriata). The velites thus serves two important functions: a place to ‘blood’ wealthier young Roman men to prepare them to stand firm in the heavy infantry line, as well as a place for poorer Romans to contribute militarily in a way they could afford. But I think that, once in the heavy infantry, the division between hastati, principes and triarii was – as Polybius says (6.21.7-9 and 6.23.1) – an age division, not a wealth division Instead, the next wealth line is for the equites.

So check out https://www.amazon.com/Rome-War-Families-Republic-Studies-ebook/dp/B00XNUOK0A for more.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nobody talks about the Hippo Burger in US Alt history novels.

Doublecheck River of Teeth first https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_of_Teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

I was just joking about this with someone who read some of the author's other books. It might be good?!??!?!?

It’s pretty good. Not the greatest of all time but I had fun.