Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Effortposts I Made That I Still Like

Hi, I like the First World War a lot. For a while during the anniversary I was running a day-by-day 100 Years Later blog (started as posting here and then it entirely got away from me) which eventually became two self-published ebooks (you can still buy them typos and all, people are still buying them occasionally), got completely unmanageable, and died on the Somme in mid-1916. It's still an ambition of mine to pick the project up again in 2021. We'll see what else I've got going on.

But, here, in no particular order, here's some things I've written over the years. (And a couple of things some other people wrote.)

The universal 20th-century military experience is going on a working-party, what was that like?

The rhythm of life in the infantry

The critical importance of artillery

The opening chords in Africa in 1914

Could anyone have warred better in 1914?

How The Schlieffen Plan Was Made, feat. Is It Even A Good Idea To Call It The Schlieffen Plan?

What would have happened if the BEF lost the First Battle of Ypres?

Who decided to fight on the Somme?

Can the Germans possibly win Jutland?

Why Verdun of all places?

Why didn't anyone want to negotiate in the winter of 1916?

What alt-hist conditions do you need for peace in 1917?

Third Ypres: the context

Third Ypres: the preparations

Third Ypres: Just gently caress off, chum

All Arms Battle and why "the Hundred Days" is a poo poo name

Americans: just as critical to victory in this war, but in a completely different way

How the War was Won: Background

How the War was Won: Timeline

The smell of the war

The Indian Army and the Viceroy's Commissioned Officer

Why can't the British and French generals just get along?

How Trenches Work/How Trench Fighting Works
British/German/French Trench Philosophy
German trenches and why they still got captured
Why bother with trenches at all?
Evolution in trench design and the start of defence in depth
The importance of barbed wire

Can you win a war with bite and hold?

John Chilembwe and how he proves that fundamentally, revisionists can get tae gently caress

Walking across No Man's Land is the best way to do it

Deception and Chinese attacks

Redeploying the reserves and how to counter this advantage

Informal discipline in the BEF
Formal discipline in the BEF
Formal discipline, part 2
The stages of a British military execution

Trench foot and "Large supplies of money in the money market
Gas masks, and what gas is actually good for
Cavalry as very short-range paratroopers
If attacking is so difficult in WW1, why bother trying?
How does Army service work? Do you serve tours like Vietnam or what?
What's a rolling barrage?
What's a battalion and why are they named what they are?
Sniping
How come there were 12 battles of the Isonzo?
What's it like to successfully advance? How did fighting in villages and towns work?
Why do units keep getting shuffled into different sectors of the Western Front?

French Fashion Choices
Fraternisation
Father Galaup looks for a bayonet

The Ross Rifle
A Shovel with an 'Ole In It

The Australians: what the gently caress's it got to do with you?
The First Gallipoli Landings: why it's understandable that they never moved further inland while they had the chance
Why did everyone on Gallipoli get sick?

German recruitment and what to do with your aristocrats

Why Big Trains Were Important
Why Little Trains Were More Important
Tremendous Slaughter In Prices
The Man with the Tea

Why does nobody like Sir John French?
Haig Did Nothing, Wrong
Hunter-Weston Was A Gobshite
What Hitler Did In The War

The best description ever of going up the line
The All-Name British Army Polo Team, 1914-1918
Dan Carlin is a gobshite
Gordon Corrigan is also a gobshite
How did that gobshite get on the television?

Things that aren't WWI

"What's your excuse?" "Pissed, sir."
Would General Alexander smoke poo poo?
The Ballad of Wolfgang, the Bratty Man of Soltau
The Warrior and the Chaingun
How war stories improve themselves over time
List, Alphabetised, Keeping Proper Stock, For The Use Of
The Nato Symbol for "Freemasons"

These are all good posts and you should read them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Napoleonic muskets weren't rifled tbf it's only mid-late 19th century we start seeing rifled muskets.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

With black powder cannons having that much energy... how modern a tank would you need to be able to shrug off a direct hit from a black powder cannon - say a Napoleonic one?

Obviously a modern tank would ignore it, but would a T-34? A sherman? A Renault FT?

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 23, 2020

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Wars aren't fought by robots in a vaccum. A higher rate of losses could have easily made the british not consider retaking the falklands to be worth the potential risk of more losses. If you're losing frigates at a faster rate, you have more gaps open in your defences and you start reconsidering if you'll make it to the islands whatsoever.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Alchenar posted:

A key thing to understand about IJA war strategy is that as often as not it was driven by low ranking officers at the front who would start fights on the basis that the Government would rather double down on their actions and have a war than admit embarrassment and apologise.

So, basically the same as british colonial policy in the 18th/19th century?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ah yes, I'm zure Iran and the USSR totally have the logistics to triple throughput on that route, and sailing to Iran from eastern US is just as easy as sailing to Vladisvokistock.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Most HEMA manuals are for civilians - "this is how you use that shiny sword you carry around for self-defence" moreso than any military techniques. We see some later period military stuff get written down - British Napoleonic/Victorian Sabre, for examples, has manuals from military folk for the aspiring gentleman officer to teach himself/his troops how to sword. But if you're looking at 16th/17th German/Italian stuff, that's mostly the equivalent of a home defense manual.

Also I bought a flintlock musket recently and was going to share pics, but the delivery company managed to snap the stock of it in transport so now I'm frantically getting some wood glue to try and repair some of the damage.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

FSFGGGSSHGHGFGHghj!

Seriously!

I know, right, it's a tragedy. The two pieces of wood are still connected by the metal base running along the bottom of the stock (forget the proper name) so it's not totally hopeless but it's not gonna be the same.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

America joining the war is the big "what if" for WW1. Without the guarantee of American manpower, lots of stuff changes.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The allied bombing campaign easily could have shifted secondary targets or decided the target had been neutralized - coincidently around the time this plane went up.

In the late war, did the Nazi's switch to distributing their fighter forces around from main airfields to prevent retaliation bombing? Because that's what this sounds like.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, as an example, there's been a really significant shift in British thinking after the Boer War, frankly small arms training and practice is very much modern. There are field exercises with individual training and unit training that are very recognizably modern. Soldiers are expected to be in cover and engaging in relatively small groups with aimed fire, and closing in is assumed to require suppression of enemies.

They're set up to fight very effectively and wreak absolute havoc in the battles of 1914, their biggest problem is not really being able to engage without being wrecked in turn. This is very different from even 1899. Even things that look like anachronisms to modern eyes have a real genuine purpose. At Nery, for example, a British holding action against pursuing German cavalry ends with them getting reinforcement, and the British cavalry is very useful in routing the Germans, their horse artillery cripples the German artillery's transport so they have to leave 8 of 12 guns on the field, and a squadron of hussars take 78 prisoners in the pursuit. By 1915, the terrain of the war has been changed to the point that it's absurd, but they're much better adapted to their context than they're generally understood to be.

Hot Take: The british army was the most prepared and best out of all the european armies to fight the war of 1914. It's just that the war of 1915 onwards was not that war.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Also, wasn't there some economic stats somewhere showing that Germany and Britain were more dependent on each other for trade prior to WW1 by value than US/China are today? It's easy to say something is "impossible", but the last year has shown that major shakeups in production may have major ripple down effects, everything doesn't collapse overnight.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Count Roland posted:

I don't think its parched, its just spring. Note the trees and shrubs don't even have buds, let alone leaves. There was probably snow/frost pretty recently.

Different standards then. That place looks dry as a bone to me, but I've got the greenness of the UK for my baseline.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

When you've put the work in to get the people on side and on board, yes. But there's plenty more times when a few hundred idealistic radicals convince themself it isn't needes and the people will intrinsically know what to do.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

There's never a perfect organizational structure. Any structure will have it's benefits and problems - replication can be wasteful, but it can also lead to more innovation and experimentation.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SubG posted:

I understand what you're saying and agree that there are a bunch of factors which would tend to reduce the effects of the sort of confusion I'm talking about.

On the other hand one of the most famous engagements involving two ships hammering away at each other in close quarters occurred in the Battle of Hampton Roads and despite all these factors--long engagement, close quarters, good weather, and so on--both sides believed they had won after having driven their opponent from the field.

That's not to say that the engagement between the Monitor and Virginia was typical. But it also wasn't an isolated event--duels between shore batteries and river monitors in the American Civil War were often inconclusive and resulted in one side or the other coming to false conclusions about the state the other was left in, despite everybody being in full view of each other for extended periods of time.

Sure but the american civil war, especially the naval bits, was very much a bunch of enthusiastic amateurs slapping each other. It's not the best counterexample.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Boat stuff is neat, matches what I'd expect.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Arrinien posted:

I have more of a military-adjacent history question, not sure if there's a better general history thread to put it in, about West and East Pakistan.

My very basic understanding of the Partition of India was that the majority Muslim areas became Pakistan, which resulted in half the country being on the other side of India in East Bengal. It seems like this is not a great situation to be in, when just getting to the other half of your country requires overflight of your greatest enemy. Was this not as big an issue back then, were relations significantly friendlier than they are now?

I'm curious how the state was expected to function with two non-contiguous parts split by a hostile power. Obviously it didn't work, since Bangladesh exists, but how was it supposed to go in theory?

It wasn't meant to be a hostile power. I've asked around about this before, and basically while the Muslim League (which represented muslims in British India, seperately from the Indian National Congress) wanted to not be subornated under the INC and the hindu-majority, they didn't didn't envision that the parition and split would be so hostile or the states would be so seperate. They pushed for seperation from a wider British Indian state that became India, but given the rapidity of independence events ran away from them. And once Pakistan consisted of two chunks, the Pakistani chunk didn't want to let the Bangaldeshi chunk go.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The post-war British government under Attlee wants OUT of india - both because india is a giant money pit and potential bonfire, and because it was part of their anti-colonial promises. So when the Muslim League under Jinnah demanded partition of India or chaos (and chaos is mounting reguardless), the British government is not super invested in determining exact demographics of areas - they are interested in coming up with a compromise the political actors involved agree to in under a year, before they lose the ability to even make such compromises. Does it work? No. But the British never wanted partition at all, they wanted the India Issue solved with a single federal India, so if Jinnah wants a state consisting of two regions 2000km apart, that's what he gets to shut up and stop making trouble.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Saying that the only reason people might want to fight is that they are uneducated and that they must have had to be manipulated/coerced is hella projection of modern mindsets into the past.

There's a very good reason to join up a campaign for most of history up till about the mid 19th century, and that is loot. A share of the plunder of a city, or ransom of a knight/soldier, etc, can be enough of a capital infusion to set you up for life, so you can go home, buy a plot of land and find a wife. Even the pay while you are on campaign is pretty good, if you actually get it at the end of a campaign- especially if subsistence farming on rented land or jobbing for day labour like most poor men would be. A primary driver of soldier recruitment is that promise, and that's why armies will often disintegrate or lose a bunch of strength on a defeat.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

human garbage bag posted:

That is the question I started with, specifically "Why did Union soldiers fight in the American Civil War." I suspect that if they knew the true casualty rate then they wouldn't have fought. Now obviously it's good they fought, but I just don't understand why they would fight unless they didn't know how dangerous it really was.

Are there collections of letters from Union soldiers where they explain to their families why they want to fight?

Now, that's a better question we can answer.

IIRC, I remember reading some stuff that especially in the early war, it was seen as "important to sign up to defend democracy". The idea that you can't just go home and not play if the vote does'nt turn out your way. Other factors others have explained can talk about why people downplayed or underthought the risks (or, given the information available to them in 1860, probably had a decent grasp of them) but there's also patriotism and national pride as factors - just because you wouldn't go to war to Defend America or Defend Democracy in TYOOL 2021, doesn't mean others wouldn't or they didn't at the time, even fairly poor folks.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 14, 2021

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Actually looking at the rap sheet I'm not sure this is a productive line of discussion.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

It's not like afghanistain didn't used to be able to make good muskets. I think I posed it before but I've got a beatifical old musket from there with an old EIC lock and mother-of-pearl decorations all over it. Made something in the 19th century but in which of the Anglo-Afghan wars it was taken as war loot and shipped to the UK I have no idea. Was only £250 aswell.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

One nuance that's often missed is that sentencing to a punishment wasn't necessarily followed by said punishment. In many cases it was deferred until after the war with the accused being given a chance to "pay for their crime in blood" in a penal unit. As Cyrano mentioned, it's up to the author to interpret these casualties as executions.

Isn't this pretty common in militaries?(sentencing =! Actual punishment) I remember hearing about this with british court marshals in WW1 - sentences to death for desertion often weren't applied or were commuted

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

It's impressive that all the great powers looked at the Russo-Japanese war and went "that's won't happen to us surely, we'll win in a lightning war" when entering into WWI.

On the other hand all the information I have on this conflict and its impact on the powers comes from the Lions Led by Donkeys podcast which basically makes this point. Is this just the power of historical hindsight?

The lesson from the Russo-Japanese war for many foreign powers was "Japan still succeeded in taking trenches/making frontal assaults against fortified positions despite modern weaponry, however expect high causalities". Which is what happened, and part of why conscription machines were so massive in France/Germany. The differing factor was in the logistics capacities of Western Europe vs Russian Far East, in that the West had the manpower density and logistics networks to make breakthroughs much harder, which didn't exist in either Eastern Europe or the Russian Far East.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

A Festivus Miracle posted:

The Civil War basically presaged how WW1 would be in virtually every capacity and then Europe spent the next fifty years fighting weeks to months-long wars and deciding that the whole USCW was some kind of weird aberration.

Which is kind of bizzare because both Britian and Russia fought actual modern wars before WW1, and were stung badly by their experiences in them, and still went into WW1 with bizzarely out of date military practices. I read an anecdote from Clash of Empires that had a Russian officer candidate receiving high marks for his military thesis championing the value of the massed bayonet charge over defensive fire...in late 1915.

lol

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Could you describe the South suffering from Dutch Disease economically, but with slavery instead of oil?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Honestly, I think WW1 might count?

There's no way to avoid Germany getting bogged down in trench warfare in 1914, but the developments that led to fluid offensives in 1917 were mostly doctrinal and organisational rather than technogical IIRC. You could have a successful German offensive in 1915 rather than 1917, and that could turn the whole war on its head.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ah yes, WW1, that conflict that was famously started due to the British invading Serbia

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 22, 2021

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Also, there's a big difference between how a reenactor or black powder enthusiast treats their weapon and how your average 18th century soldier (even the ones who want to be there) treats it. Simply dragging it around on campaign and the battlefield will cause more damage than taking it out at the range.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Cessna posted:

A marked shift in attitudes from when the British started slavery in the Colonies.

it's almost like countries can change over 200 years?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Fangz posted:

I'm just disappointed no one has posted an alignment grid yet

Sadly, the only one I could find with 30 seconds of effort uses nation instead of country. (A whole other debate).

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Also, there is a ton of different englishes of varying mutual intelligibility - they just mostly get categorised as something else or are in the process of diverging now. Off the top of my head - Scots, Singlish, Nigerian Pidgin, and EU bureaucratic english are all english dialects or english influenced languages with varying degrees of intelligegabiliy with Modern American English, all of which will probably diverge further over the next century. And that's from a relatively brief period of first english conquest, then english international hegemony. English isn't any more or less able to drift apart than any other language, it just hasn't happened yet and a bunch of english speakers live in such a uniform enviromental it hasn't occurred them to them it has

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

They cared about the welfare of the executioners - they were brave patriotic germans doing what needed to be done for the motherland. The manpower sink of constant replacement of executioners due to breakdown hammered it home, but it's not like they had to go hunting for hardened immoral killers for this type of work.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Brilliant post, very interesting. Neat that to certain extent Kimg John could trust an offical with a income sourcr like Tin mines to use to run his ships, and it mostly happened. I know later into the early modern and Napoleonic era there's big issues paying ships crews on time and payments often coming in errears, is this the case in the mediveal aswell?

Also a legit "Sail me closer, I want to hit them with ny sword".

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is actually a very real thing. I mostly know the German context but it’s going to be broadly the same in other parts of continental Europe.

Doctors - both of medicine and philosophy (edit: and the clergy - edit 2 and frankly early clergy and academia is very intertwined and closely related) - were considered on the same social plain as nobility. That doesn’t mean they’re equal, of course, any more than a non-hereditary knight, a baron, and a king are equal, but they are at least within spitting distance of each other, as compared to a noble and a merchant or a peasant etc.

This is important because it gives social cover for nobles to take advice from these people. A prince and his academic tutor need to have a much more personal relationship than the prince and his shoemaker, and when the king is feeling sick he needs someone socially appropriate to talk to. Edit: also when he’s worried about his soul hence the above clergy edit.

This also gets into why the fancy academic dress exists if you really dig back into that liminal era when it’s starting to differentiate from theological studies. It’s a visible display of social class.

Is this why "Dr" is a formal title, like "Sir" or "Lord" is aswell? because the granting of a titled form of address is a mark of respect compared to the common man?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

That's clear, but also how the US didn't push more afterwards - their war machine was still a year from really ramping up, and the two lost was a near-term blow to the US.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’m wondering if a Black American in uniform would have been safer and had more success checking into a hotel, riding a bus, and going to a restaurant in 1938 Berlin as opposed to 1945 Mississippi.

Probably? But it's not surprising that the society with a tiny amount of black people has less integrated racism against them than the one with a demographically significant minority. It's a very American viewpoint to see all issues of racism and discrimination through the white/black skin colour matrix only, and that oppression outside of those matrixes is not as bad or not racism.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Fangz posted:

The bayonet isn't *that* bad as a melee weapon.

A musket is much, much heavier than an equivalent shortspear, so once you've committed to a thrust that's about it, and you've got a much smaller window of places you can deliver a thrust to because of how cumbersome it is. If you misjudge distance or get a thrust baited out against you vs someone with an actual melee weapon, you'll be cut to pieces. Of course, none of this means it isn't a deterrent against cavalry, or that not having a bayonet on your musket is better, but they are not designed to be a melee weapon.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I listened to a talk from a concentration camp survivor who was in the resistance. He got ratted out to the germans by a local women he was seeing after an argument, for example.