Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

-People who desperately want to stop posting about tank destroyers and artillery bears

Who? Show yourselves, cowards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

This channel did a really good Barbarossa animation that was posted in the last thread and this year they made one for the Battle of France:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36UrLDiTLvU

Might want to remove the start time from your link.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Tank destroyers.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I'd hesitate to say the Mississippi was vital to the Union without seeing data on shipping between the fall of Port Hudson and the end of the war. To clarify, the river was absolutely huge in terms of shipping both before and after the war and I don't mean to diminish that importance. However, I'm extremely skeptical that commerce would have returned to its prewar level immediately in mid 1863. Confederate forces (albeit small ones) continued to cross the river despite Union control, and pretty much all of the histories I've read only mention cotton transport on the river, and not food or finished goods or manpower.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

White Coke posted:

How important was Kentucky to controlling the Mississippi? I've seen a Lincoln quote about how he needed to have Kentucky in order to win the war, but there are lots of Lincoln "quotes". Didn't they declare neutrality?

Kentucky wasn't directly important to controlling the Mississippi, but was absolutely critical to controlling the Ohio and for its rail connections to Tennessee. It was a major early failing of Confederate policy that Polk occupied Columbus and ended the state's neutrality. The major reason why the CSA positions in Kentucky and west/central Tennessee unraveled so quickly in early 1862 was that Union armies were able to penetrate the Tennessee and Cumberland rivers and easily outflank any Confederate positions on the Mississippi north of Vicksburg. If Union armies are prevented from crossing Kentucky due to neutrality, any invasion of the deep south must come from the coast or the Mississippi, which would be both easier to defend against and present a huge logistical challenge.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Cessna posted:

Agreed. A Roman helmet is a well designed piece of gear; it protects your skull, a lot of your face, and the back of your neck, but lets you see and hear:

Yes yes, but how many stampings did it take to manufacture?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

How is this even an argument? The Type IXs didn't even have ice cream machines.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Cessna posted:

The Typhoons (more accurately, Project 941) were designated TK-208, TK-210, TK-12, TK-13, TK-17, TK-20, TK-210.

I doubt that this fooled anyone seriously tracking them.

How is anyone supposed to keep TK-210 separate from TK-210?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

the JJ posted:

Any idea what the symbols in the fourth image mean? I'm assuming some sort of unit or armory mark.

Can't tell what the one on the left is, but the symbol in the center is the burning shell of the Ordnance Department.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If everything that isn't armored on the Yamato is out of commission, can it still fight?

In the technical sense that a blind cripple can throw a punch, yes.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

feedmegin posted:

I feel like there may be laws around the gun (and ammunition)

A wallet of sufficient size could probably take care of those...

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Which I guess is to say that we'd steam roll them, fight a grinding counter-insurgency war for two decades, then watch as helicopters evacuate our final embassy staff while Wehrmacht soldiers equipped with captured M4s and plate carriers occupy the airport.

So does the Forever War count as milhist now?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

OPAONI posted:

How did China go from getting its teeth kicked in during WWII to beating the west to a standstill in Korea?

I imagine MiGs had something to do with it.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Cessna posted:

As this historically accurate documentary shows...

Luftwaffe personnel were known to emulate the head of their service.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

FPyat posted:

I was just surprised to learn that the 101st drove into Bastogne by road, rather than being dropped. Is this a common misunderstanding of the battle to have?

If you think airborne troops only fight after dropping I could see this being an easy mistake to make. Most of the time, airborne are just more infantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Fangz posted:

This is interesting considering that the majority of 75cm hits were at 400-600 metres. I suppose Guderian failed to consider that hitting moving targets at 2000 metres is hard.

http://www.tankarchives.ca/2013/08/combat-performance-of-75-cm-and-88-cm.html

When firing a 75cm shell, you really only need to be accurate to within the correct zip code.