Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Apparently there was a big wall in Iran built by the Sassasnids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

A good post.
Was it possible for the Argentinians to sink the Invincible or Hermes at all?

If the ship were able to be sunk, they wouldn't have called it the 'Invincible'.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gnoman posted:

On a related subject, what warship (excludong unseaworthy boondoggles like the Vasa had the shortest lifespan? Bismarck and Blucher are obvious candidates, but is there anything that was sank quicker?

CSS Virginia (aka the Merrimack)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SerCypher posted:

I know a few people who've done a stint. It's very emotionally draining work.

In ancient Greece, after one army was defeated, one survivor came back to tell everyone that their husbands were dead. The widows pulled the pins out of their dresses and stabbed him to death with them.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you’re like “both of those sound like Sparta”, you’re right.

The rest of Greece wasn’t much better, if you read the Iliad it’s like “:stare: All these guys would be the villain in anything else. “

Yeah the story about the guy getting stabbed by widows was Athenian, not Spartan.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I believe there was a Roman estate management text that suggested that slaves be pushed as hard as possible then changed out every two years

Written by Cato the Elder! He suggested that once they were too weak to work, you try to sell them to some other chump if possible, and stop feeding them if not.

Also re: Sparta, IIRC the land is owned by the family but the slaves are owned by the state, so if they die you can just order up some new ones by sucking up to the kings.

sullat fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 7, 2021

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

White Coke posted:

I've heard that the Germans didn't like American soldiers using shotguns, or British soldiers using sedated bayonets in WWI and that they threatened to execute anyone they captured using these weapons. Is that true, and were there any other weapons that were considered similarly criminal in WWI?

It was the Germans that had the serrated bayonets, IIRC. Barthas doesn't say anything about them being more objectionable, and in fact, one of his buddies (the ex priest) spends some time in no-man's land trying to loot one off the dead as a souvenir.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Sounds like somebody wants the revolutions podcast, especially the Haiti/Bolivar/Mexico ones.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

zoux posted:

Assuming time machines or massive geopolitical shifts: would you guys go to a nuclear test shot if you could?

https://twitter.com/AtomicAnalyst/status/1233463598703312896

Also the Wellerstein post linked in this tweet demonstrates how, well reckless, the US was, it's typical 1950's nuclear mad scientist poo poo

My dad's uncle got to watch one, he was a sailor on one the observation bosts. Probably also an unwitting test subject too.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Any cool first-hand stories from the tests?

Afraid not. Wish I had asked him about it before he died, but so it goes.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The confederate generals in the west always get such a bad rap-were they really that awful or were they just getting whipped by Grant and Sherman for 2 years before Lee started getting beaten by them? Was Albert Sydney Johnston really that great and would he have done anything differently if he hadn’t died at Shiloh?

Grant panned A. S. Johnson in his memoirs although part of that might be sour grapes at being surprised at Shiloh. I think people looked back on him more favorably since him being alive would mean that they wouldn't have had to deal with Bragg for the rest of the war. Who knows what he would have done differently though?

quote:

It is a perfect example of why fighting an enemy near a river they controlled was a terrible idea. Had that battle occurred somewhere other than the riverbank, Union advantages would have been far less pronounced.

They had to fight the battle there since they were trying to hit Grant before Buell reinforced him. If they'd waited, they'd of had to deal with both Grant and Buell at the same time.

sullat fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 4, 2021

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Dutch and French did try and retake their colonies in 46-56 decade. Didn't go so well IIRC.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Burma was absurdly difficult terrain compared to most of the terrain of the proposed route, I don't want to underestimate the challenge of the undertaking but I think they could have built out track quite a bit faster.

Even discounting the crazy stunts pulled in tracklaying in the trans pacific railway chase, four or five km/day is quite reasonable. Grading is the biggest consumer of time and labor and with 1940s equipment it could be done far faster with fewer laborers. Materials will be a challenge but you have the existing railroad to support your build out.

Plus, the transsib alone was sufficient to supply the giant army used by the Soviets for the Manchurian Strategic Offensive Operation (1.5m troops, 20k artillery pieces, 5k tanks, 3500 airplanes), so no reason to believe that the same thing, repaired and augmented, would not be able to sustain a hypothetical Japanese offensive going the other way assuming the resources were available to be shipped.

Better capture the trains intact though otherwise it's BYOL.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nenonen posted:

We should call the invasion of Elam by Sumer the first Gulf War and use consecutive numbering from there to this day. Does anyone have recommendations on new literature on the 78th Gulf War?

Sure, John Julius Norwich talks extensively about Julian's campaigns in Iraq and the mythology that rose up from it. Interesting stuff!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

the JJ posted:

That said, I'd be suspicious of anything pulled from the Cyropaedia, because it was clearly not written as an actual history, more as an idealized 'how I'd do it' that veers into Tom Clancyish 'what if an elephant fought a Nubian phalanx on a chariot with a tank destroyer.'

Don't leave us hanging, man, who would win that fight?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

bewbies posted:

king also partied super hard and was pretty slutty, so he contained multitudes

Mac Arthur's baton also saw a lot of action too, IIRC.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Comstar posted:

Sounds like a time traveler told him what will happen if he doesn't get in front of that drawing board NOW.

Either that or his accountant told him what they were paying for them.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm reading the Schiffer book catalog. They have a book called "Making Bows with Children." Brutal.

Tom Holt must be writing for them now.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

The Zimmermann Telegram is a good one though, like they really should have known better. Obviously mid-civil war Mexico isn't going to declare war on the US, and Zimmermann definitely shouldn't have admitted he sent it.

The Mexican Civil war had mostly wrapped up by then and the US Army had been skirmishing with the Mexican army while chasing Pancho Villa when the telegram was sent. It wasn't entirely implausible that Mexico would be pissed enough to declare war, and Germany doesn't care if they win or lose, just that they distract the US long enough for <something> to resolve the war in Europe.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NinjaEconomics/status/1379509214066933764

What was going on in Canada in 1916

Also interesting that the goosestep thing was applied to German soldiers way before WWII, I've only ever heard it in reference to Nazis

Are they for or against this map? I'd totally go live by, and occasionally in, lager lake.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Be noted that you'll be living downstream from my Pilsener Lake.

Well, as they say in Ankh-Morpork, everything's for sale except the beer, which you just rent for a little bit.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SoggyBobcat posted:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1380335409985683458
So did anybody ever write a manual on what to do in this situation?

There's probably a war plan-Cthulhu tucked away in some forgotten bookshelf in the Pentagon.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
There was one king who was besieging a castle and saw a kid jumping around on top of the walls with a crossbow taking pot-shots at the besiegers. The king got too close to laugh at the kid's antics and got sniped by a kid. Supposedly he told his buddies to go easy on the kid, but they didn't.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

fish and chips and dip posted:

President of Chad Idriss Déby was killed when leading troops in battle against rebels in northern Chad.

https://www.theafricareport.com/81373/chad-president-idriss-deby-dies-says-national-radio/

My question is; before Déby, who was the last head of state (king, president, dictator, whatever) of a recognized, sovereign territory who was killed in battle? The only I could find was El-Ouali Mustapha Sayed in 1976 from Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (unrecognized state) and a bunch of medieval kings.

Edited for clarity.

Was thinking on this, and Francisco Solano López, President of Paraguay died in battle in 1870, killed by Brazilian soldiers.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I did not realize that the border was attached to the stone, like some bureaucratic ley line.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Nice graphics, which call of duty is that from?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Alchenar posted:

There's also just a degree you have the will to fight and how unacceptable defeat is.

The French Revolution leads to Great Britain spending 25 years on-and-off at war and assembling seven international coalitions to contain France, the effort of which eventually results in getting to walk away with complete achievement of all war aims and the ushering in 100 years of global superpower status.

Their willingness to fight to the last Prussian was certainly something.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

vuk83 posted:

The draft in denmark worked like that, where whole units where drafted and trained together.
I was drafted into a medical company, we were about 150ish people in 4 platoons.
1st to 3rd month was basic training. After that we were reorganised into cmd platoon, 1st and 2nd dressing station platoon, and an ambulance platoon. People where sent of to individual training, which would be medical helper, (2 weeks), medical assistant (4 weeks) drivers licence for truck or car (3 weeks). At the start of the 5th month unit training began, and you began exercises in your subunit, followed by unit training, culminating in brigade exercises. At the end of your conscription you would get a soldiers book detailing your training, and mobilisation unit in case of mobilisation.
But as an old master sergeant told me, the point of the training wasn't so much training the conscripts as it was training the officers and ncos.

The real training was the friends you made along the way

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Metal tools, weapons and decorations (jewelry, mirrors) were highly valued trade goods.

Learning blacksmithing though, did any natives of the Americas pick this up? Did any already have metal working pre-contact with Europe?

Supposedly Sequoyah was a blacksmith before inventing the Cherokee alphabet.

Also I remember that Lewis & Clark had to keep all their iron stuff under lock and key else it would be stolen... by the men of the expedition who were trading it for sex.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

What's really impressive is that these dudes who are half a planet out of their element and for all intents and purposes just fell off a tree on mars and landed in Tenochtitlan managed to exploit all these internal divisions and poo poo. Like how do you even figure out that these divisions exist

Malinche...

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FMguru posted:

It's pretty remarkable that a campaign for control of Europe, and a battle with around 250,000 troops, very much boiled down to hand-to-hand fighting inside of a single building.

IIRC that's where their wizard was deployed so it was pretty crucial for the French to take it out.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUtDkfHlzgs

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

This article came up in the Katawa Shoujo LP. (go read it, it's interesting) I'd like to know how much of it is true, though.

I skimmed the article and found this quote somewhat sus: " The Soviets killed more of their own soldiers than total U.S. combat deaths." Are we really to believe that the soviets executed > 300,000 of their own soldiers during the war?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Captain von Trapp posted:

Honestly? No, not really. Maybe a couple banana republics, temporarily, when they already had a solid friendly native faction doing the heavy lifting. Otherwise: Cuba, Iran, Afghanistan, etc.

I mean, they succeeded in Indonesia, Chile, Zaire, Australia, Bolivia (only temporarily the 2nd time I guess), Brazil to name a few.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
You also have 'velites' and 'peltasts' who's job was to run out ahead of the heavily armed/armored main battle line and throw javelins at the enemy before melting back, or for harassing the flanks of the enemy in rocky terrain.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nenonen posted:

According to some unverified sources, Romans graciously provided valuable minerals to Carthagean farmers after their victory, and more verifiably provided job opportunities to the citizens.

Romans were all about providing job opportunities to the people of the nations they defeated. Silver miner, entertainer, and so forth.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

Hell, in Seveneves they realize the public perception of victory is the *real victory*, so the PR people are in command of the battle and conduct the camera crews as primary combat personnel, livestreaming the whole thing. Positions and tactics are chosen for how they look on screen and match the overall narrative of the conflict.

Supposedly Pancho Villa had a Hollywood camera crew with him and would get their input on when to attack so the light would be better for filming, but that might be apocryphal.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tulip posted:

Chinese Civil War stands out: the PRC was famously under equipped at the outset, virtually every tank plane and artillery piece in the PLA was captured. There are a variety of jokes that amount to "the main source of arms in the PLA is the KMT."

I think one of the US advisors said that the best way to slow down the commies was to stop giving weapons to the KMT.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

By this logic Lafayette wasn't a French general.

The distinction here is whether you're meaning the adjective to imply that he was a general in that nation's military, or a general from that nation.

Lee was an American general if we're using it to mean "general from the united states." He was never a general in the US Army.

Lafayette was a French General, he served the Revolution in the invasion of the Netherlands before deserting to Austria because the Committee of Public Safety had his number. Afterwards he was the general in charge of the citizen's militia that sold out the July revolution to the monarchists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Utah Beach would not be a particularly dramatic sequence- though it'd probably not be a bad fakeout. Talk about how we think we're off course, build tension, and they land on the beach and receive no resistance, with a destroyed bunker overlooking them.

Yeah that's how it is in the movie the Longest Day