Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I finally got around to reading Last Stand of The Tin Can Sailors (it owns, BTW), and how on earth has it not been made into a movie or miniseries yet?

Is it because it'd mean depicting Halsey as a fuckup if you wanted to be historically accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, seconding Revolutions.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ChubbyChecker posted:

wrt. duncan, he isn't a historian, he's just a guy with a microphone and internet connection

his rome series was full of glaring errors and he had the habit of jumping into strange conclusions

I mean, he's literally published, I'd say he counts. Now whether he's a good historian is certainly debatable, but I feel like dismissing him outright is a bit harsh.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Does anyone know if that new Samurai documentary on Netflix is any good?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

My dad was in the RAF as a logistics officer and Operation Granby (as he calls it - I don't know if that was British codename or just the name for the component he was part of) literally had a base in the UK to serve as the hospital for the feared casualties that would come through Cyprus.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Uncle Enzo posted:

I don't think this man should have been executed and I bet it did have something to do with having a criminal record. But

But Jesus God if three increasingly higher-ranked officers say "hey man you're confessing to a death sentence. Tear up the note, go back to your unit or even a different one and we'll say no more about it" maybe he should have taken the urgent prompting and taken the way out he was offered.

Maybe it did have to do with his past, but this dude sure as hell had a chance to change his mind. Way way more than anyone else gets that's for drat sure.

Given that his unit was getting sent into the meatgrinder that was the Hurtgen Forest (a battle that literally didn't have to happen), banking on a commutation (given he'd seen literally a bunch of other deserters also get commuted) wasn't that crazy.

Everyone should listen to the Lions Led By Donkeys episodes on it. gently caress Courtney Hodges. And gently caress Omar Bradley for enabling it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cessna posted:

That seems a bit - off.

Idling a tank isn't the sort of thing you don't notice. You don't just let them run for hours and hours at a time. (You do want to start them intermittently if you're running radios, to avoid draining the battery.) And even if you did leave a vehicle running it would take quite a while to drain the fuel at idle RPMs.

As an aside, Lions is a lot of fun, but holy poo poo, fact check. Their episode on the T-55 had dozens of easily caught errors.

Edit: Their most recent episode cited a Nazi rocket plane, forerunner of the Me-163, as doing 1,300 mph. Which is - well, not in the most Wehraboo of dreams, sorry.

It's so goddamn infuriating that the latest run of episodes has had one of the obnoxious WYTP guys as the guest host. I've taken it off my feed until he's gone.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Foxtrot_13 posted:

We have ways is worth a listen because one of the presenters is a professional comedian (Al Murray) so will never get too dry.

Related is a stand up bit that Al Murry does in his character of The Pub Landlord is Name a Country, We Have Defeated It and shows his knowledge of history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x2ovlPr2IE

He also did a documentary series on WW2. I think he actually studied history at university before he became a comedian.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Was there any rationale for this except the most poorly-planned flex in sporting history?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fangz posted:

Yeah, IIRC, some of the Nuremburg trial guards were ex-SS.

Specifically Estonian SS, who IIRC were drafted rather than being volunteers unlike most foreign SS units, hence the different treatment.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Chamale posted:

In 1861, King Rama IV offered to send elephants to the United States, as they make good labourers, and herds of elephants could replace the dwindling bison population. Lincoln politely declined. There's a myth that the elephants were war elephants, but that was never the original offer; Lincoln privately joked that the only use for elephants in the US would be to stomp out the rebels.

Hannibal Rex posted:

A bridge even Turtledove hasn't crossed.

I know of at least two Alternate History books where the Hippo Bill went through, where’s the great American Elephant Novel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Comstar posted:

This is why we have...standards.

From the Metafilter thread about it - well there's your problem:

This is going to show up in the OSHA thread eventually. And presumably the minutes of the town council meeting that decided that 13 units to the foot were the correct one.

Xiahou Dun posted:

It makes total sense. Someone heard about how great 12 is at divisibility and tried to do one better.

That or bakers were the ones calling the shots.