Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tulip posted:

[snip]

The arguments about Comanche military success and failure here mostly came down to economics: in the 18th century the Comanche developed an extremely efficient bison hunting macrostrategy that enabled simultaneous explosive population growth, a lucrative export, a lot of free time, and a deep bench of capable warriors leading to a meteoric rise, and then a loss of trade partners and an ecological collapse around 1850 caused the population to nosedive by 75% and the destruction of their trade system right as the US was really hitting its stride.

Regarding the Comanche and bison: were they using hunting practices as exploitative as the non-indigenous groups, or was theirs more sustainable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Thanks for the detailed response.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Notahippie posted:

This bit him in the rear end though, later. The Paris doctors took out some of the shrapnel but left some splinters in his eyes where they would have caused more damage to try and remove. 50-ish years later, he went in for an MRI for some medical issue and the VA doctors didn't do a great job of checking his chart. He was at the door of the MRI room and asked the tech if the 50 year old metal in his eyes was going to be an issue. The tech said "you don't have any meaningful amount of metal in you, there's no way they'd schedule you for an MRI if you did." Granddad told him to check his records, and he says the tech turned white as a sheet when he realized how close they had gotten to some full-on body horror poo poo. He got an x-ray instead.

I guess he was pretty together to insist the tech actually double check that. Good for him.

You mentioned a historical wargames thread-- would you mind linking to that? I also liked your post.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Rudy (who played himself on the show) was interviewed about the show and was mentioning how he found himself saying lines that he the person would never say-- but he wasn't himself, he was playing the character. So the show really shouldn't be taken as a documentary especially when it comes to the individual people involved. I love the show though: as a non-military guy myself it seems like the most realistic portrayal of war I've ever seen on screen.

I'd also like to learn more about the sort of warfare featured on the show. I'm thinking of one scene to use as an example. The humvees were going down a road and were ambushed by a zeus (AA gun) firing on them. They immediately stopped and leapt off their vehicles into a ditch, before finding the zeus and taking it out with an airstrike. Why did they stop, and why did they leave their vehicles? In other parts of the show they engage the enemy from inside their humvees. I'm curious about these sort of tactical procedures and decisions involved when fighting with unarmoured vehicles.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also when you paint a picture of a dude whose all crouched it looks lame as poo poo and if you paint him standing up with a spear overhand like Zeus hurling a thunderbolt he looks loving SICK bro

Are there no surviving training manuals from those days? People who do HEMA stuff love to go back to original sources from the period itself.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Awhile back there was some discussion about how airplane cockpits used to be designed for the "average" pilot, i.e. they measured a bunch of pilots and then build a cockpit around these averages. Then someone did a more detailed analysis and determined that the average pilot statistically did not exist, i.e. everyone in the measured cohort differed significantly from the average in some respect. This lead to cockpits being made adjustable so that a much wider range of humans could use them without having to stretch or squish to fit them.

Does anyone have more detail on this topic, or books to recommend? I have a friend who'd love to read more about it.

I don't know if it goes over this topic specifically (I doubt it) but The Design of Everyday Things is well renowned:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...1nWifNFqoKnGgoC

It goes over designing this that people use. Like dials on a stove, say. Good dials include things like satisfying clicks that provide useful feedback to the user. Or placing controls in certain areas where the eye or the hand is more inclined to go. I haven't read it, but an engineer friend recommended it to me and I've heard it come up in some places.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Also in the aftermath of the communist takeover of China the US began to get more and more involved and by 1954 was basically funding most of the war, even "lending" the French aircraft, ships, and all sorts of military equipment, some flown and operated by American "volunteers".

Ah yes the little green men

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Just use a cruise missile.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Abongination posted:

Started looking into Vietnam from the Vietnamese perspective and was wondering if anyone has any interesting suggestions that aren't super dry?

Currently reading The Sympathizer but interested in non fiction also.

Maybe not quite what you're looking for, but there's a great little indie podcast called Inward Empire that does US history. There's a 5 part series called the The Diem Experiment, which I found to be a pretty interesting perspective. I've only listened to the first two episodes of the series but everything this guy does is very high quality and not dry at all.

https://inwardempirepodcast.podomatic.com/

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

One issue with handheld anti-tank weapons is a lot of them have a tendency to scramble their users brains. In the French army for example, you are allowed to fire a recoilless rifle in training 3 times, ever, due to traumatic brain injury concerns.

But, but they're recoilless!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

fish and chips and dip posted:

President of Chad Idriss Déby was killed when leading troops in battle against rebels in northern Chad.

https://www.theafricareport.com/81373/chad-president-idriss-deby-dies-says-national-radio/

My question is; who was the last head of state (king, president, dictator, whatever) of a recognized, sovereign territory who was killed in battle? The only I could find was El-Ouali Mustapha Sayed in 1976 from Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, a unrecognized state, or a bunch of medieval kings.

He died in battle or was taken into the bush and offed by the army.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That would be quite a thing to see

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

Wow, that looks barely short of Arrakis-level parched

I don't think its parched, its just spring. Note the trees and shrubs don't even have buds, let alone leaves. There was probably snow/frost pretty recently.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Some site from the Northwest Rebellion maybe?

Historically very relevant but I doubt earthworks would survive that long.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wait is this actually scrubbed?

I checked the wiki on the border dispute. It doesn't mention Nixon threatening the Soviets with a reprisal strike.

It does mention it was around this time that the ball got rolling for Nixon visiting China himself. Edit: which I might as well say was a very interesting meeting. Margaret Macmillan's Nixon in China was fascinating.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 10, 2021

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'll just chime in and say that was a neat discussion about Technowar. Not something I know about myself, but its nice to see a forum thread have an informed and productive discussion about something that leaves everyone more informed than they were before. Glad I found this thread.

Speaking of threads, is there a Milhist thread but for current events? I follow some D&D threads on say the Middle East and other shooty kind of places, but I would be very interested in this thread's sort of discussion on more contemporary matters, if such a thing exists.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I was a bit disappointed when this week I was listening to Fall of Civilizations podcast and he gave the same "North America started agriculture later so they never had a chance" argument w/r/t to the Aztecs, nearly word for word actually. I furrowed my brow at it then, and then when I saw it again in this thread it really popped for me.

Why is this a bad argument?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think sometimes people focus too much on the Spanish having guns and not enough on how they had armor that obsidian blades would just chip on, or horses (at least, sometimes) to give individual men way more mobility than anyone in the New World had ever dealt with before.

The technological advantage still wasn't the only thing the Spaniards had going for them, but what technological advantages they were.

What about metal tools more generally? Knives, axes, hammers, saws etc. I'd think these would be super handy at clearing brush, setting up fortifications, defeating enemy fortifications, and probably more things I'm not thinking of here.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Come to think of it, I've heard a lot about native Americans buying guns from colonists, but I don't think I've ever heard anything about natives buying iron goods or trying to learn about blacksmithing.

Metal tools, weapons and decorations (jewelry, mirrors) were highly valued trade goods.

Learning blacksmithing though, did any natives of the Americas pick this up? Did any already have metal working pre-contact with Europe?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Prime Minister Trudeau alt-account spotted

I don't get this joke

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm getting towards the end of the Aubrey-Maturain series and it's heavily focused on the looming end of the Napoleonic Wars and the resulting lack of ships/career prospects for the sailors. It doesn't sound like the Royal Navy had a mandatory retirement age.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

If you want to see some good stuff old fashioned balls to the wall names wise look as some Napoleonic and 19th century army/navy officer names in general.

Link? I don't know how to look this up.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tomn posted:

Aside, I looked up the yacht O'Brian was on and that thing's a bloody monster. It's not something I'd throw at an inexperienced helmsman.

It had never occurred to me that O'Brian was a master sailor. Whenever I pictured the author it was someone who spent all his time in libraries and archives, sifting through thousands of old logs and letters and papers looking for treasure.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah context is good. I for one am not familiar at all with what the British or the Zulu were doing.

And if we're talking about comparing armies, how does one fairly compare two forces where the difference in technology is so vast?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That was a fun read, thanks.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Alchenar posted:

On phone so in brief - he has this fetish paragraph he copies/pastes into every book about how the key to victory was the ability to fire 3-4 volleys a minute.

Except thats not how the British wanted to fight (yes regiments got themselves into shooting matches). The British army at the time recognised that after the first volley both accuracy and command and control rapidly diminishes, so the ideal was to get as close as possible, fire one or two volleys at 25-50 yards, then immediately follow up with a bayonet charge while the opposition were still reeling.

He is also a bit dodgy about how much he understands what the French column was for.

You point to the contrast of the 3-4 volleys per minute tactic vs shooting then charging. Isn't this contrast exactly the point? I've seen a few episodes of Sharpe, and this discussion is very reminiscent of the Aubrey-Maturin books where Aubrey is obsessive about volleys per minute. In both cases the characters do this because they think the standard way of doing things is dumb.

Both works portray the British armed forces being primarily concerned with class-status, discipline, and keeping your uniform and brass-works spic and span. Both works feature protagonists who would rather spend time on practicing gunnery skills to death --using real powder so you get used to the noise/kickback/backfires-- to give yourself an advantage. In the show Sharpe explicitly tells his men that when battle is joined their gunnery goes to poo poo, which is why it must be drilled so much. This really rung true to me, I'd be interested if these tactics were somehow invalid, or was never used. I wouldn't be surprised if they were unusual or even frowned upon by higher ups though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

bewbies posted:

one time we had a helicopter drop brass on us and one poor fucker got a casing between his helmet and body armor and wound up having to go back to Germany for a month due to a third degree burn on the back of his neck.

I feel like he should have gotten a purple heart for that, I dunno if he did

Like that scene in Generation Kill where the helicopter rains brass on the humvee gunner.