Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

SkySteak posted:

I've been meaning to ask this, and it relates more to Youtube Pop/Semi Serious history people more than anything else; but does TIK have some sort of controversy to him? I remember Military History Visualized in one video speaking about how he supported TIK on something even if he (to paraphrase) "didn't agree with all his views,". It just seemed like such a specific disclaimer that it made me wonder if there is some sort of contention more than usual when it comes to TIK. Apologies if this isn't really relevant to this thread but I felt it'd be the best place to ask.

To add to what others have said, he has his own entry in /r's Bad History hall of infamy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/badhistory/wiki/hall_of_infamy#wiki_tik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hannibal Rex posted:

It's already been a while since you made that post, and I have to fully agree. However, that is not because I think random youtubers produce quality content. It's because there's a ton of absolutely stellar lectures and discussions by professional historians freely available on Youtube. If you know who the leading names in whichever field or time period that interests you are, Youtube is a great way to get content that's far, far more in-depth than anything you will get even from the best made TV documentaries. You can get unadulterated Glantz, Browning, Tooze, Kotkin, etc., all just a search away.

Find yourself a youtube to mp3 converter online and you can get yourself a load of podcasts as well. Obviously this doesn't work for image intensive lectures.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Re: Tenochtitlan.

Camilla Townsend claims in her recent "Fifth Sun" that the usual population claims of the city are wildly exaggerated, and 50,000 would be nearer the mark.

This was in a podcast interview so I can't speak to what she's basing it on.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

That’s because one goering ate the other.

Circle of life. Beautiful in it's way. :colbert:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Loezi posted:

This all checks out, http://www.jamesbondisforreal.com/ is linked from the AeroGaving treatise.

Wow, now there's a name I've not heard of in some time.

Scanning down led me to the usual combatreform links, and I spotted one I've not seen before.

Ok so about the gun shields. http://www.combatreform.org/gunshield.htm

I'm assuming the correct answer for "Why this is loving stupid" is some combination of won't stop Assault Rifle bullets/too heavy/wildly unbalances the gun/doesn't cover enough of the shooter etc, etc.

But I'm genuinally curious of expert opinion on which is the (lol) smoking gun for sheer craziness of this idea.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

He's not suggesting gun shields on machine guns though.

He wants them on soldiers rifles.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mazz posted:

I have no idea why I can listen to gun Jesus for hours and hours but I can’t make it through a Drach video anymore.

Yeah, I get strong 'Engineer Brain' vibes off of Drach.

Not as bad as his co-host on the Bilgepumps podcast Alex, who seems like the sort of smug know it all, who'd be personally insufferable to interact with.

The last one of those I listened to he was confidently explaining how the Germans should have just carried on building the Panzer IV because it had plenty of room for further growth and could easily have been upgunned further. :psyduck:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

LRADIKAL posted:

Thanks for the thread suggestions, but I wanted "this thread" kind of recommendations. We don't have to derail on these games anymore if it's too far off topic.

Just want to dive in to recommend the Battle Academy games. You can literally pick up the first one for small change in the Steam sale now, and the sequel is also super cheap. And The Troop, which has just his Early Acess, is basically a modernised version of the two BA games.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah this, winning Waterloo would have only bought him time, unless he somehow became a Necromancer and raised his dead veterans and horses he'd have been run down and defeated in Austerlitz 2 AustroRussio Boogaloo.

Tomn posted:

Not gonna lie, "Napoleon as necromantic hegemon of Europe" sounds like a fun tabletop campaign setting.

You might enjoy this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Frankensteins-Legions-John-Whitbourn-ebook/dp/B005IDGQSE

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

wiegieman posted:

The principal reason there's no English royal army is because Parliament's army beat it.

If you're a British Soldier, good odds you're in a Royal Regiment though. Plus you'll have a Royal family member as Colonel in Chief.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 9, 2022

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Siivola posted:

Hey gang if you enjoy the medievals or just want to see how the milhist sausage is made, you should read Michael Livingston's book Crecy: Battle of Five Kings.

Thanks for that, I actually already had it in my Audible 'Maybe? :shrug: Wishlist, but I got it and am now enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

alexander died at 32 years old, allegedly of sickness from drinking unmixed wine, so its in all probability they didnt miss

There are several conflicting accounts of Alexanders death. Not to mention he was a heavy drinker who had suffered multiple serious wounds. His health might well have been in serious decline. It could easily have been natural causes.