Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cessna posted:

That was the official name for the operation.

It was weird seeing that they'd made trading cards. I don't think I was on one personally, but still...

IIRC, at first it was Desert Shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

the map thread

Link plz?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

fish and chips and dip posted:

President of Chad Idriss Déby was killed when leading troops in battle against rebels in northern Chad.

https://www.theafricareport.com/81373/chad-president-idriss-deby-dies-says-national-radio/

My question is; before Déby, who was the last head of state (king, president, dictator, whatever) of a recognized, sovereign territory who was killed in battle? The only I could find was El-Ouali Mustapha Sayed in 1976 from Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (unrecognized state) and a bunch of medieval kings.

Edited for clarity.

I hear the motto of the Chadian army is: viens à moi mon frère

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Henry II of France died in a jousting accident during a festival celebrating a peace treaty.

I swear I remember that being mentioned in some sort of Nostradamus special that someone in my household taped back in the 80s.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Fish of hemp posted:

The virgin Chad president and the chad Chad rebels.

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I hear the motto of the Chadian army is: viens à moi mon frère

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Space Gopher posted:

Selective availability, the system that introduced artificial error to civilian receivers and restricted high-precision GPS to military receivers, was disabled in 2000. Newer (Block III) GPS satellites aren’t even capable of turning it back on.

https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/modernization/sa/

It’s possible to get centimeter-level accuracy out of GPS with differential systems, that basically measure local error caused by things like ionospheric weather and provide a feed of corrections. But, to measure that error, you need to have a fixed and well-defined reference point in the first place - and it has to be relatively close, or you lose accuracy. So it’s not very useful for defining borders in the middle of nowhere.

Some of those units that are accurate to within centimetres are also expensive as all hell. Like the average person out camping or backpacking isn't buying a GPS thats in the tens of thousands of dollars range.