Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How did the allies win world war 2 on the ground when faced with such superior german vehicles and discipline :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Where do carriers fall in the structure/doctrine purist chart for "battelship"?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Did the flaring bits on the classic stalhelm serve a practical purpose that the FJ helmet suffered from losing?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Didn’t ACW cavalry follow fairly different doctrine to contemporary european cavalry? There’s nothing equivalent to lancers or cuirassiers, and they all seem to basically be dragoons.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

How does WWII reenacting work? I can gather how musket-era military reenactments go, bunch of dudes stand in lines and shoot black powder at one another, but how do you account for all the tanks and air support and MG emplacements and squad-sized maneuver and such

I’m a bit late but in my experience you don’t actually point or shoot at each other in musket re-enactments. It’s a big no-no. You’re not going to kill anyone (unless you fired point blank into someone’s head like that actor in the 80s) but you’re still spewing blazing hot smoke and paper and sparks in a cone in front of you. I know of at least one little boy in Canada who was permanently blinded by being downrange of black powder blanks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ChubbyChecker posted:

Youtube's Nazi algorithm suggested an interesting video for once, Mussolini speaking English in the early 30s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-PuuKYn8c&t=512s

This type of poo poo always blows my mind. Like my first thought is “lmfao eat poo poo you loving dweebs why did you think that haircut was cool you nazi fuckwit you were Reichskanzler for ONE DAY and were so cowardly you murdered your own kids before yourself”

Then I remember that while this was recorded my grandfather had been pressganged into the war against the USSR and my grandma was in a concentration camp and remember nazis are loving scary.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cessna posted:

Oh, absolutely. And, as stated, Crete (which used the German doctrine) was an absolute poo poo-show as well. I don't think there's a really good way to drop a big unit with parachutes in WWII; you just do it if the reward outweighs the losses.

In the modern US military isn’t training regular infantry in parachute jumps pretty much an entirely a pride and inertia thing, and units like the 82nd and the rangers actually use helicopters in 99% of cases if they’re attacking from the air?

Outside of special operations and obviously things like escaping a dying plane, the parachute seems like a strictly inferior option once you have better choices

E: in somewhat milhist news, today is the 12th anniversary of that guy throwing his shoes at George W Bush. Never forgotten.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 15, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol just lol if you re-enact italians as any unit but the joggin' dandies of the Bersaglieri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N9NiEH9-vg

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Maginot line did everything it was supposed to and I don’t think there was any overcommitment of useful units there. The best units of the french army, as well as the BEF, moved into Belgium and more or less countered what the germans had until very recently been planning, and for example when 3. and 4. Panzer divisions crashed into the french armoured cavalry, the french got the better of them.

Unfortunately the germans had changed their plans, and many of their best units in Heeresgruppe B, after an uneventful traffic jam, rolled through the Ardennes towards Sedan and routed a bunch of thinly-spread reserve infantry and then woops, there’s a French State instead of a French Republic and Harry Styles gets to star in a war movie

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

People kind of get screwed up on first glance at the DLMs if they don't look at TOE because legere really refers to mobility even though it's commonly translated as light.

One of the I think maybe interesting what-ifs is if 1er DLM had not been separated from the Corps de Cavalerie and sent to Brabant just in time to turn around and drive back. This rendered most of its vehicles combat ineffective. It probably doesn't have an overall strategic effect but certainly would have improved French performance in Belgium since the best trained and equipped French division did very little actual fighting.

Yeah I imagine most people reading this thread know this but the "light" translation in a lot of french milhist is often misleading and it most definitely is for the DLMs. The "light" refers to mobility entirely, so it works 90% of the time. Light infantry vs heavy infantry yeah, the lights will run faster and longer but sacrifice weapons and gear so they might not be able to stand up to the heavy infantry 1v1. Stuff like that. But the DLMs or "light" mechanized divisions were not lightly armed, they were cream of the crop cavalry divisions who on paper were perfectly equivalent to a german panzer division, and certainly put paid to the myth that the allies hadn't thought of an armoured division until Rommel was in Paris. And the DLMs were riding partially in the heaviest armour the french had outside of the B1.

I'm extremely biased in talking them up though because honestly, I think the S35 is the sexiest vehicle yet to exist. :france:

Get the gently caress out of here with your panthers and your t-80s

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Alchenar posted:

France literally had a de-facto fascist military coup in 1940.

And when that happened, most French people kinda just went along with it.

Worth remembering that this is what happens in basically every fascist takeover. For every commited ideological fanatic there’s 50 people going “eh, they won’t eat my face.”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dethrone Louis XI and replace him with our Louis imo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Xiahou Dun posted:

That looks so god drat fun. I wanna get liquored up and throw around/knock over big, inflatable tanks.

Milhist goonmeet and it's literally just this plus a certain someone stabbing the tanks with a pike

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Xiahou Dun posted:

Well if we're gonna do it as a group then we also need to do that bit at the end of the gif where they're "driving" the tank so we can blindly ram into each other. It's important.

420th Tank Destroyer Battalion, 69th Armoured DraGoons

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 19, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Trick them into thinking the Allies have adopted ineffectual wooden bombs so they’ll have their guard down when the real strike comes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cessna posted:

Yes, this is a perfect time to have bought a big pile of 28mm ACW soldiers that no one will be interested in by the time I finish painting them.

Grab a bunch of 6mm too and do Sherman's Travels

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cessna posted:

Confederate artillery had a lot of big disadvantages.

First and foremost, they started off using the same guns, but the Union had the industry to replace old guns with newer, better guns as the war went on. The Confederates were stuck with old, worn out guns, including obsolete 6-pounders. They did manage to manufacture some artillery, but what they made was pf poor quality due to shortages. Because they had relatively few pieces their guns were deployed in 4-gun batteries, compared to the Union's 6-gun batteries.

Also, artillery of the era was very dependent on horses, and the South was poorly served here. Generally (there are lots of exceptions) the Confederates used four horses per gun, while the Union used a six horses per gun. Sometimes the Confederates were forced to use mules, which were a poor substitute. This restricted both their tactical and strategic mobility

These factors led to the Union having, broadly speaking, fire superiority over an equivalent Confederate force. This is one of the reasons why the Confederacy liked fighting close, either in terrain that restricted ranges or through charging into contact.

Did the south really have a cavalry advantage early war? It's one of those things I see thrown around as true but no one can really explain why. I'd buy that you make a better cavalryman if you're already familiar with riding and shooting but the north wasn't lacking in farmboys. I suspect it's a truism we throw around in the south as a low key part of the Lost Cause.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There’s a reason you wear heavy duty ear protection when you’re plinking 9mm at the firing range. Deafness or hearing loss is pretty much a guaranteed side effect of soldiering up to the present.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

White Coke posted:

What is the PBI? I'm sure you don't mean the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, or Palm Beach International (Airport).

Poor Bloody Infantry

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What if we replaced all wars with judged re-enactments? Challenged party picks the era.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cythereal posted:

Germany didn't start WW1. They told Austria that it should crush Serbia for killing Franz Ferdinand and Germany would support Austria in that endeavor. Problem is, Russia wanted a strong and powerful Serbia as a lever to weaken Austria and the Ottoman Empire to expand Russia's influence into eastern and southeastern Europe, ideally with long-term plans of seizing the Bosphorus to link the Black Sea with the Mediterranean. So Russia backed Serbia, Germany backed Austria, and things went downhill from there.

Note that Russia was the first of the major powers to mobilize for war against another of the major powers. Germany mobilized in response to Russia.

So what you're saying is yes, Germany started the war.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There's a middle ground between "the foul Hun launched an unprovoked war of conquest upon the peace-loving people of Europe" and "oops all nationalism this was the only outcome!"

No imperial power is blameless but the actual war, as it happened, in our timeline, was provoked by Austria-Hungary and Germany. A-H deliberately tacked ludicrous terms onto their ultimatum to justify an attack on Serbia, and Germany backed them because that justified their attempting to punch France and Russia in the dick. Their was no house of cards. The german government knew exactly what they were getting into and wanted it. France and Russia, while certainly prepared for war, did not deliberately try to provoke it in the way Germany did in 1914.

In the particular case of France and Alsace-Moselle, yes, France had revanchism but there was no grand national plan to take it back. Germany, in contrast, had spent decades planning the next great dickpunch on France. Ironically, Bismarck himself had opposed the annexation in the first place but it was seized both for propaganda purposes* and because the Vosges are a strong defensive position that would funnel fighting into France in the future.

*The idea of Alsace re-uniting with the Fatherland after centuries of french tyranny is pretty much ludicrous. There was practically no pan-german nationalism there and the Reich ended up colonizing it with prussians and beating down the local dialect harder than the notoriously language policing french ever did.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Epicurius posted:

Sorry. Read too quickly and thought you said WWII. Romania?

It was occupied briefly after Russia fell so they didn't keep their capital. They did rejoin the allies at the last minute though, once Germany was collapsing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tulip posted:

It killed 5 union soldiers and 21 confederates, truly an asset to the north.

And the spar torpedo killed everyone on the sub when used in its one combat action. It's like a lovely precursor to those nazi suicide jets.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I didn't realize the driver's seat was so awkward

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TK-42-1 posted:

I was going to ask the same thing. I guess there’s not a position to sit up out of the hatch or anything is there?

AINA Abrams Crewman but my cousin was, I'm pretty sure you drive with your head out of the hatch most of the time, outside of combat obviously.

Do modern TCs ever fight unbuttoned like in WW2 or have optics rendered that obsolete?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grumio posted:

Is there a general acknowledgement that loaders have the shittiest job in the tank? Are they the most junior members, before they train to be a gunner/TC?

My cousin went loader-driver-gunner-the gently caress out of the army

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ataxerxes posted:

With regards to bicycles the Finnish tank regiment/division in Continuation War (41-44) used bicycle infantry with tanks. They were pretty much dragoons, keep up with the tanks with your bikes and ditch the bikes once the shooting starts. Once whatever was there is clear get your bike from the ditch and keep going.

I like that the finnish tank division had like, 3 each of StuGs and PzIVs and the rest was a parade roll call of pre-war soviet clunkers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Roll a D10 for each Panzer V in your force...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The fact that they were historically pretty successful in the midst of the hosed up drop conditions suggests that the real Sobel did, in fact, do that though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Most military aircraft perform best when nothing is shooting them

Raenir Salazar posted:

On the contrary, the more you shoot a T-34 the angrier it gets. :black101:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have no sources but my guess is that if the nazis did a thing, it did not save on logistical upkeep.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pryor on Fire posted:

Once we get to the point where the drug cartels engage in open naval warfare with the US Coast Guard then boat armor will have its moment, again.

My best friend was in the US Navy and in a VBSS team, and spent most of his service in ugly war with cartel vessels

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of re-enactors, I've always wondered how, say, viking or hoplite re-enactors would fare against people who formed and faced real shieldwalls in recent protests, like Maidan had full fledged melee engagements complete with shieldwalls and catapults.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It seems really difficult in general to quickly make a newly-occupied region productive. The nazis failed even in the "nicely" occupied countries. Like, the average frenchman didn't have any qualms with jews being deported or being second fiddle to fascist Germany instead of Perfidious Albion, but even so occupied France failed to deliver much contribution to the war effort.

How much grain can you cart away from a wartorn newly-conquered Ukraine before the farmers decide they'd rather take their chances shooting back?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm pretty sure prussians started goose stepping around Frederick the Great's time.

Also, that map has been in the map thread before and iirc it's not actual government propaganda, it's from a LIFE magazine or something.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This is only very tangentially related to milhist but it feels good to post about it somewhere: it's getting close to the anniversary of my grandmother getting liberated from a concentration camp by the RKKA, and also close to the first anniversary of her loving dying from covid. It sucks and I miss her. She was a little jewish girl who got dragged out of Strasbourg when the nazis invaded and spent years of her childhood in Ravensbrück. She wasn't perfect but she didn't deserve that and the nazis can suck my entire rear end in a top hat.

Da zdravstvuyet geroi Raboche-Krepostnaya Krasnaya Armiya.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Battle of Good Boy, Earth

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SeanBeansShako posted:

If you want to see some good stuff old fashioned balls to the wall names wise look as some Napoleonic and 19th century army/navy officer names in general.

Don't forget the puritans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How did early modern ships even manage to find each other?

Or even get timely orders? Like how did Nelson get word that the franco-spanish fleet was leaving Cadiz so fast that he could catch them?