Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Last one made it to 501

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

White Coke posted:

What does endurance mean in this context? More space to store wine?

Oui, oui et cigarettes.

Gaius Marius posted:

The Nazis built most of one,ohe Graf Zeppelin. Once things got rolling they realized their vanity project was not gonna be the best use of resources and it never got completed.

If you don't have the attendant ships to protect an aircraft carrier, was it a wiser idea to focus on battleships instead for the surface fleet

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

In addition to torpedoes, what else can modern subs use against ships? ASM for sure right? What about cruise missiles? Is there a difference between SLCM and ASM

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Raenir Salazar posted:

I am just so incredibly amused by this.

It's cuz he's got the look of a total hardass but it's very deadpan humor I think. I like it too. What's it from

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

In an older post that spun off helmet chat, someone mentioned that naughty german kit could give away their positions from all the metal clinking of the webbing and also the leather and ersatz tobacco could literally be smelled from a distance. What were the allies using that avoided these problems, especially the noise complaint. Seems like the days before plastic everything

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What was that napoleonic era tactic battalion au feu or whatever

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'm getting real minimalistic with my posting so it's still bad but at least it's shorter

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/sWBvsEM.mp4

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

What was that napoleonic era tactic battalion au feu or whatever

Does that napoleonic guy still post here I bet he'd know

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What did written communiques between the north vietnamese and the soviets look like? I guess what I'm asking is I know about the diacritic heavy latin script and am hoping there's a similar one but cyrillic

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Alchenar posted:

Bombing was of questionable effectiveness (as the thread recently went over) and to get to Sweden you have to fly over a ton of mountains.

And then once you bomb them they go from neutral and selling iron to the nazis to entering the war on Hitler side.

Where was this? I think I missed it.

Didn't the marines get rid of the SAW for the m27 maybe or am I thinking of something else?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It was a constant thing throughout the war but not much use or value. The main benefit would be to land stricken aircraft in Soviet areas to prevent capture or death at German or local hands. Say you bomb Berlin in a B-17 by later 1944, you're better off continuing to Russia if the state of your aircraft is that bad. Otherwise you try to ditch in Sweden, Switzerland, or friendly lines.

It was more "popular" for raids into Romania/ex-Yugoslavia due to the distances involved, from, say, Lower Italy/Sicily.

Edit: It also let the Soviets investigate Allied tech without the constraints of Lend Lease, where tech was withheld at times.

What happened to pilots that landed in switzerland? Imprisoned I guess? Did it happen to both sides ie could their be both axis and allied airmen in a swiss pow camp

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Considering it's tangential to sportssoldaten what's with the south korean pro starcraft players who play for a particular branch's pro team? I could see it being an exceedingly unlikely draw for the us military recruitment but the RoK has compulsory service right?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

How effective was commerce raiding in the age of sail compared to later

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Anyone know anything about the "artillery boats" in the caspian, or the caspian flotilla in general I guess

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Thomamelas posted:

They are designed for work on rivers, lakes and seas, and were designed to fight other small boats and people on land. They have a turret from a PT76B, some rocket launchers and 30mm machine guns. It's an evolution of artillery boats that were used in WWII. But made by the Navy and designed more for port defense.

Isn't a 30mm firmly in the autocannon territory

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Thomamelas posted:

I double checked, and it's actually a grenade launcher. The machine gun is 7.62mm. It's basically a very upgunned river boat.

I mean I figured about as much. I also figured the Caspian was pretty busy with waves and crap. There's a few vids of people surfiing it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Was it really that hard to identify a factory from high up or is it more a difficulty of pathfinding.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's not about identifying the target, it's about hitting it.

IIRC from 20,000 feet a B17 could be expected to land about a third of its bombs within 1000 feet of its point of aim. I might be off on the specific numbers, but that's the ballpark. Lower is more accurate, but lower is also more dangerous.

Sure but the way it reads makes it sound like identifying it's the problem, hence the looking like a postage stamp

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

PraiseGOD RawDog

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I've never been prouder of a snipe

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Thomamelas posted:

They are designed for work on rivers, lakes and seas, and were designed to fight other small boats and people on land. They have a turret from a PT76B, some rocket launchers and 30mm machine guns. It's an evolution of artillery boats that were used in WWII. But made by the Navy and designed more for port defense.

This lead me down a wikihole that lead me to discover gunboats aren't just "a boat/ship with guns" but a particular role of boat and ship. With guns. Pretty neat!

Would a swfitboat be a gunboat or more of a reconnaissance in force sort of thing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Thomamelas posted:

I'd put it in with gunboats, but maybe with an asterisk. The swiftboats were generally intended for COIN. So they tended to optimize a bit more for speed over firepower. Unlike the Russian artillery boats, they weren't intended to deal with armor at all. They were to harass troop movements along the river and act as a patrol craft. I can see someone arguing that they are too lightly armed for shore bombardment, although some had an 81mm mortar.

They also had those rad rear end automatic grenade launchers right? Wouldn't they mostly be fighting an infantry force? Not going to crack a bunker with it but i wouldn't want to be even in a sandbagged hut

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Crosspost since I think it's relevant

Iain posted:

Not sure if this is right the place or the resources thread to post this since it is limited time, but Ancestry and Fold3 are offering free military records searches until Monday.

https://go.fold3.com/freeaccess?xid=2690

I found my grand fathers WW2 registration card which was pretty neat. Godamn we were both 20 when we joined :eyepop:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

One of the other problems with the drop bags was that the Americans got the idea from British paratroopers, but didn't realize they were supposed to be limited by weight - dudes would shove as much ammo and supplies as they could into the bags, and this made them so heavy that the tether would snap as soon as the chute opened.

Seems a huge oversight to me

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Perestroika posted:

Oh my god yeah, that tracks. Even as I was reading your descripting I was thinking "that kinda sounds like TIK", and there he is. The guy also managed to fool me for a while until I watched one of his less-focused Q&A videos, where he unmpromptedly went on a long rent about how von Mises and Rothbard were the best historians ever and you totally have to rely on axioms and "logic" to be a good historian. Because if you acknowledge that history can be ludicrously complex with a host of not always apparent factors playing into it, you're an bad postmodern hegelian marxist or something. :psyduck:

He sounds like a mushbrained moron to me

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ice Fist posted:

I know what they mean, but what I read is that both armies in the civil war had cannons that shot cannons at the other side. Gosh the industry needed to perform such a feat as disposable artillery used as ammunition in other artillery is astonishing.

Pieces? That seems a very high number of cannon and also a very small number of rounds

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wasn't there an effortpost some while ago about Vienna being one of the food capitals of europe for a while? This is the only history thread I generally read/post in. It would probably be in a previous version?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

If you don't have any luck here, that sounds to me like something that System Metternich might have posted in the politically-loaded maps thread.

God drat good luck finding it all this dude does is talk about vienna

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Awwww yeah thank you.

Nothing wrong with posting about vienna but man you try sifting through every post that contains it. The pictures are timged!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What would you be shooting out of a swivel gun? Musket balls, pistol balls? Would pistol balls be smaller I assume? How many probably? Buckshot? Langridge in an emergency?

Xerxes17 posted:

Is that the Engels that I'm thinking of?

I think he did do writings on military matters though. I thought Po and rhine was a book on the subject but I never read it and I cannot find a damned thing about it on wikipedia anymore

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If it helps I meant more for very small boats like gundalows, bateauxs, keelboats, etcs. Frontier outposts like fort necessity and the like. So yeah, anti-personnel obviously but I was wondering just how much weight you could cram in there lol. I'm sure if the situation was really dire you could fill it up with a mess of buckshot for super up close work but at range I'd imagine the one grapeshot would basically be the roundshot like that other person said

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Does anyone know of a river island in some european river that was a pirate sanctuary for some time. It no longer exists I think, likely flooded for power reasons

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SubG posted:

Yeah, in popular imagination it seems that cannon pop into existence somewhere in the 17th or 18th Century, perhaps so that the Royal Navy has something to do with all the space on the multi-deck ships that they've constructed for some reason. And the "Middle Ages" are a thousand year stretch of things being more or less exactly as they were on the afternoon of August 26th in 1346, only with Roman onagers instead of bombards and perhaps a few extra bowmen to make up for the absence of ribaults.

With the trench warfare stuff, I'm talking more about how there seems to be a popular perception that all pre-modern battlefields ended up looking like the Somme: an endless stretch of churned earth denuded of all grass, trees reduced to blasted stumps, trenches and elaborate breastworks everywhere.

The poor bloody infantry has probably been digging holes in the ground for most of human history, but there's a big difference between a hole you dig to inconvenience the guys with spears advancing on foot toward your line, the hole you dig so horseback cavalry can't charge through your position, and the hole you dig because the Boche are continuously firing MG 08s and shelling your position for the twelfth straight week.

Have you read any detailed breakdowns of individual battles? Most descriptions of e.g. Sedan (like even the wikipedia article) give a summary that highlights the difference between French doctrine (occupy favourable terrain, fight defensively) and German doctrine (maneuver, maneuver, maneuver), the difference in quality between French Chassepots and Prussian needle guns and how this French advantage was erased by the superiority in quality and numbers of German artillery, and so on.

I wonder if there's a term of art for this sort of thing among historians. I feel like I know things about warfare in the era you're interested in not because I've read a lot of material specifically addressing those things, but instead because they're frequently repeated as sort of background elements in texts more focused on other matters.

Anyway, while thinking about this it occurred to me that there's probably one or more Osprey publications on the stuff you're interested in. That appears to be true, although I can't vouch for any of it (I've read a fair number of Osprey publications but to the best of my recollection none on the period in question), and I don't know if that's lighter than what you want.

What's ribaults

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Is the article on cottonclad warships on wikipedia as funny to professionals as it seems to me

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

what was that trench spade with the hole in the blade

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Why the D handle on the e-tool?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Other than the more practical reasons why Sealion was impossible, did the Germans even have any man portable anti-tank weapons at that point other than I guess rifles?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Nenonen posted:

The backbone of infantry AT defense were 3.7cm PaK's, which at combat weight of 327 kg plus ammunition were actually possible to move around manually without too much trouble. 5cm PaK 38 already weighed more than a Kübelwagen.

Presumably the 3.7 would have been enough for most tanks they'd encounter at the time? idk how bad the island cav was at the time. Were they air droppable or gliderable or would the airborne element be on their own? It's really all nonsense but it's fun to wargame provided you take enough liberties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

How many british regulars were in the colonies during the revolution? I remember it being a shockingly low number iirr. I assume most troops would be local loyalists?