Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
I've got some audible credits burning a hole in my pocket. What can you guys recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Can there not be things worth dying for? Objectives in war that soldiers are willing to give their lives to accomplish.?

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
I've been reading D M Giangreco's Hell to Pay, about Allied and Japanese plans for Operation: Downfall. Does anyone know how well regarded it is?

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Cessna posted:

This accurately describes his book Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy.

I mostly enjoyed that book, except I felt his constant harping on Viet Kong atrocities was weird and he didn't spend much time on American ones.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Epicurius posted:

And the guy's reading the Daily Mail.

I thought WWI was too early for fascism?

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

thatbastardken posted:

Hitler did love Disney though

in another life, hitler was a disney adult

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
quick question: I heard soldiers in the American army during WWII would often have armaments that differed from the standard TO&E, primarily from scavenging battlefields and under the table requisitioning. For example, extra BARs per squad and the like. Is this true?

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
I know we all hate counterfactuals here, but what does it look like if instead of a B-29 campaign from china, the allies instead use their logistical piepline to supply arms to the KMT?

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
has there ever been a sword and pistol fighting style or is that solely a hollywood thing? By which i mean, sword in one hand, pistol in the other.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
Here's a milhist question: Was Sarumans plan at Helm's Deep flawed? It seemed to almost work, before Gandalf showed up.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
I always wanted a revolving rifle. Something about them is really cool.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7bbd-ckiHc

Wow. If this is true, this guy is a legend. The Civil War and WWI?

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
I just saw Anthony Beevor has a book on the Russian Civil War. Is it any good? I like the rest of his work.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
I saw "The Thirty Years War" by Peter Wilson is on Audible. Is it well regarded?

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
saw this in book barn

https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1657769123852570632

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
saw this trailer at not-E3, looks like a cool game about the Czechoslovak legion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0lJ9A4AtFo

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
Is Anthony Beevors book on the Russian revolution good? I’ve liked his other books.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Yooper posted:

Yes, I very much enjoyed it.

cool, i asked in the other milhist thread and they said he whitewashes german warcrimes, which i distinctly do not remember from my previous readings of his work.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

ChubbyChecker posted:

there's another milhist thread?

There's a history thread in C-SPAM.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Yooper posted:

The Germans are covered briefly, but the focus is definitely on what is happening with the various Russian factions away from the front.

no, they said that about his Stalingrad book.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
does anyone have links to the nazi uniform posts? the ones about how poo poo they were?

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
Does anyone come out of the Fall of France looking good? Seems like everyone involved is a dipshit.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Nenonen posted:

What, haven't you heard of the Nazi card before? Those are invaluable in Internet debates!

that's not what they mean by n-word pass

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Cyrano4747 posted:

The way the US fought wars in the 20th century (and honestly maybe only 1930-onwards) is a massive historical aberration. It's the bougiest of rich kid war. There just wasn't the need to use captured weapons outside of weird, immediate needs of guys in a sticky situation. So you're not going to see a concerted effort to organize and re-issue German rifles and tanks, but I'm also not going to discount some GI grabbing a grenade off a dead German's belt in a pinch.

That said, behind the lines you do see the ad-hoc use of poo poo that was just lying around, available, and maintainable. Jerry cans being the classic example, but you also see a fair number of light vehicles and other things that tend to operate behind the lines and don't get shot up too bad.

Here are a few captured Kubelwagens in use:

Here's a captured Opel Blitz:

That reminds me of the 83rd Infantry Division

https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-history/rag-tag-circus-stole-vehicles/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

DTurtle posted:

Not as prominent as American presidents, but you can find things like this:

what is wrong with second from the right, bottom row? his face is all hosed up.