Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fairly sure I read somewhere that the various designers had seen/studied “razee” frigates. Basically cut down three deck ship of the line that keep the original rigging but lose a whole decks worth of weight.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Indefatigable_(1784)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m currently serving with a master chief who personally met the incoming sec def who’s a giant himself and said that’s he’s at least 6’6”.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If anyone hasn’t answered how WW2 reenactment work seriously here’s a typical weekend.

Friday night meet and greet with family dinner. Set up camp. Safety checks and equipment demos.

Saturday Morning Afternoon. March around playing small unit hide and seek with blanks. The vehicles typically didn’t take a major part in this due to safety. Mostly ambushes from machine gun pits and similar.

Saturday Night. Debauched drinking and eating time period field food. I don’t remember a lot of these.

Sunday Afternoon. Public battle. Set up a very staged battle with a simple plan. My favorite I took part in was US paratrooper patrol running into German ambush. US tank with foot counter attack forcing German armored car and foot withdraw.

The people running the event would charge like $10 to cover fuel costs for the vehicles and ammo for the people taking part in the Sunday battle.

Good times. Also back in the day we would bring out a lot of vets from all sides to spend the day talking and such. I got to meet a Russian marine from Stalingrad and a German Uboat sailor besides a ton of Americans.

However the hobby is rife with actual nazis and I don’t care to take part in it anymore. Still collect US uniforms and gear that gets brought out for Halloween.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cessna posted:

Same here.

(I still collect Soviet stuff, but I haven't been to an event since 2012. And post 2016? No drat way.)

Yeah. There’s a local US mil vehicle club that takes part in all the parades in county I’m considering approaching to march with. I just won’t do anything with German units. If you think it can’t be that bad you gonna be sorely disappointed like I was after a few years.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I got a good amount of kit from paratroopers. The m1942 uniform itself goes over the wool elements and is really prone to blowing out the seat. The web gear isn’t any different than foot and the helmet just has an extra chin cup. The boots are nice but the double buckles are just as functional.

I got to wear a whole parachute rig for a parade and it sucked due to weight but wasn’t terribly uncomfortable. My old unit would do period correct drops for DDay in France. Owe my back gently caress that. A

Wet webgear chafes like hell. I own some original parts and buy a lot of stuff from AtTheFront. Working on my tanker and typist uniform currently.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Officers dont use their sink so they dont have to clean it. I was always amazed on how perfect my OIC kept his state room then I found out after he left that he never used the sink or toilet in it and had roll up mattress and slept on the floor in a sleeping bag and left his racks perfectly made for 6 months

I just came off a ship were someone thought it would be a good idea to flush condom wrappers and condoms down and of course the filters caught them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Scratch Monkey posted:

They give woobies to sailors?

You got your choice of a heavy green wool blanket or a lighter mustard polyester thing that feels like a window curtain. That wierd rear end blanket wasnt warm at all and it's only saving grace was it didnt hold wrinkles. There also was a thin blue blanket made of wonderfully soft sythentic flannel cloth like a woobie. You also got 1 unfitted sheet, pillow case and a goose feather pillow that would get random feathers out at angles to poke your head. We had just got a supply of pillows with squares of memory foam when i left.
However I bought my own pillows, fitted sheets and slept in a sleeping bag with the wool blanket over me. Made bed making very easy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Found out my chicano great-uncle joined less than a month after Pearl Harbor and served until Dec 45. I know he served in Korea too and ended a Mst Serg but after that the details are little hazy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I got irritated with Midway in first minute when that boot showed up in his hella wrinkly dress whites.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If you can get on military bases the Museum on Camp Murray near Tacoma Washington has an excellent small arms collection for it's size. If you go in uniform they will let you handle their stuff too. I got to fool around with their Arisaka paratrooper model among other things. Very simple system.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Tomn posted:

So hey, semi-related question, but what exactly makes for a fast march compared to a slow one? I.E., if one officer marches faster than five miles in ten days, what are they doing differently? What's the poo poo officer doing that he shouldn't? What's the efficient officer doing right? What, in fact, are the logistics of logistics?

Perhaps stopping for tea was a mistake.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If you got time to gently caress around with captured rifles you got time to get your nasty uniform cleaned and shaved.
Also go dig a hole.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I use both chainsaws (gas and electric) and all sorts of firearms.

I’m loving terrified of chainsaw accidents and only mildly concerned with gun “accidents”. As long as you keep the barrel down range and your eye out of exploding chamber radius you’ll generally be ok.

Chainsaws can get wild if you hit a spike or break a chain. Bleh.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nenonen posted:

I'd imagine most museums wouldn't even be interested in ubiquitous tat such as medals because they already have enough of them and they hardly tell anything interesting.

If i was actively doing the Paratrooper impression i'd be interested in them as bulk "loot" for the musette bag. However I got out of it because realization was that if you are doing an activity with a bunch of people who enjoy dressing up as Nazis it's basically hanging out with a bunch of closet nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

a dingus posted:

Has anyone attended the D-Day memorial event in France? What did you think? Worth it or any tips if I made the trip?

I would really love to go next year, so much so that if I had to fly in June 5th and out June 7th I would. For years I've been wanting to get involved with WWII vets and visit Normandy, and after some big (& good) events this year it hit me like a ton of bricks that these guys won't be here for much longer and I better poo poo or get off the pot.

I’ve had members from my reenactment group go in the past. In fact some of them jumped. Nobody has ever said a negative thing about the event.