Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Are we still posting links to old effort posts? My one and only real contribution to this thread was my grandfather's WWII Combat Dope Sheets a couple of years ago. I can dig up the rest of the posts pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Pryor on Fire posted:

I think I have finally overcome my deep-seated hatred of stupidity and aristocrats enough to read my first book about WWI

What's the best book (or three) to start out with here?

If you want to unlearn the "men running aimlessly at machine guns for four years" trope I highly recommend Battle Tactics of the Western Front by Griffith.

Turns out they didn't just try the same poo poo over and over. During those four years war changed by the week, and huge effort went into learning and teaching new tactics.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What was a reasonable engagement range for a field gun in the early ACW?

I stopped by the Bull Run battlefield today and was trying to figure out how far the artillery was able to land hits from. The pieces on display were marked as 6 pounders for the most part.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone for the incredible detail about ACW era cannons, that was way more than I expected.

Followup question: How did gunners track their own shots to check accuracy? Were they using telescopes or naked eye?

I was comparing landmarks to the map and I doubt I could see a shot land more than 1000yds out. I'd blame the light fog but probably gettin old.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Are there any reenactments that fire actual shot and not just powder charges? I really want to see this now.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What about in person demonstrations? I've seen plenty of videos of cannons but I want the sound/feeling of a black powder cannon.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Any recommendations for books about Horatio Nelson? Just listened to the Age of Napoleon episodes about him and would like to learn more.

I enjoyed The Line Upon the Wind by Mostert and as I recall alot of it is about Nelson.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

So is there some conversion I can do to understand inches in pressure of mercury to, I don't know, pounds of boost?

Also, did these engines have intercoolers?

And did they really adjust boost for greater power? While I get some boost is necessary to keep power at altitude, so essentially keeping the same air pressure, the idea that they were just going hard on the boost when necessary and it didn't explode the engine is kinda :stare: to me.

Yep try googling pressure conversion calculators. Inches of mercury (inHg) still gets used for some applications although in the US pounds per square inch (psi) is much more common.

Adjusting the boost in the supercharger and/or turbocharger was a constant thing while flying. If I'm remembering right this was pretty much a full time job for the co-pilot on multi seater planes. Boost is helpful in the ground but becomes more and more important as you gain altitude. Add sequential or parallel forced induction and it gets very complicated to keep optimized.

With that sweet sweet 150 octane fuel you can barely buy anymore they could run ludicrous amounts of boost compared to modern fuels.

Try finding a cutaway of the P-47. A big part of why it's such a chonker is all the ducting for the forced induction systems.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If the original owner was in the artillery is probably a range calculator. Accounting for air resistance when you're firing thousands of yards meters is not straightforward so a calculator like this speeds up the process. I think they operate similarly to a slide rule.

My parents both trained on slide rules in engineering school in the 70s and were slightly annoyed that I didn't in the 2000s. Pretty sure both of theirs plus my grandfather's are lying around somewhere still.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Can confirm, I found and carefully read every single one of those books at the local library as a kid.

I bought the man-o-war one a year or so ago to use as a reference while I was reading the Aubrey Maturin series.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If you're a huge engine nerd here's a fairly detailed history of air cooled engine cylinder development :
https://www.enginehistory.org/Piston/ACEvolution/air-cooled_cylinders_1.shtml

This whole website is awesome if you're into this kind of thing.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Well, I learned a cool thing today.

My first thought was that this was just the weirdest euphemism for shouting I'd ever heard, but no, holy crap, that was a thing. Cool!

Thanks.

As always, Secret Life of Machines to the rescue.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7R9bHJfymjg

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

an extremely robust private banking system working within a trade-based economy with a lot of liquidity and international exposure

Rothschilds alone was able to both loan hundreds of millions of pounds to the government on an annual basis for war subsidies and other purposes, and also backstop the Bank of England in a liquidity crisis

Is that hundreds of millions of pounds in 1810's money? If so that's a ludicrous amount for the time.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
How accurate was the Aubrey/Maturin series on sailor culture? OBrien goes into it heavily throughout the series but I have no way to tell if it's accurate.

Grassy gnoll just go read that series if you want a primer on Napoleonic naval stuff.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

Since I'm now on am ugly plane kick I just remembered this absolute banger from Britain :britain:

It's like a post apocalypse F-4 phantom that's been retrofitted with props.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is the OP asking about the Battle of the Bulge or the opening German moves in the Battle of France?

I think it's the latter based on their mention of the Maginot kind.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hah I knew I had a bunch of posts yelling at clouds about that somewhere. From the TFR video thread:

Out of curiosity what's the problem with cold blue? Just a half-assed solution or is there something actually wrong with it?

Totally agree that most of these "restorations" are terrible but a couple of the better channels are fun just for the overkill attention to detail like the headphones guy.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Cold blue is just garbage.

Lol got it. I thought it was a little too good to be true.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

Oh dang, I just noticed Amazon is telling me you already bought this like 4 years ago and I'm remembering now that was actually from your recommendation back in the day. Must have just fallen under my radar, but definitely interested in getting to that + Tacitus then!

It's a quick read, especially that early interesting part. I also picked it up based on a recommendation here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Trin Tragula posted:

Once again I urge everyone here to visit the Technikmuseum in Berlin, where they have an entire collection of dioramas of the HSF, every single one of them depicted while resting gently on the bottom at Scapa Flow.

It is the most marvellously petty thing I have ever seen.

Is this the same museum that has immaculately restored historical planes, except for the WW2 ones which are lightly rearranged crashed examples?