Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Cyrano4747 posted:

IIRC this is basically the mechanic that they think is also behind a bunch of rogue wave and other mysterious sinkings. tl;dr if the seas get just the right wavelength of waves your super-long container ship might end up straddling two peaks with an unsupported middle, which snaps the keel.

Based on my reading of books like Nelson to Vanguard the effects of sagging and wave/length resonance were at least somewhat known as ships rapidly expanded in size at the end of c19, and the need for appropriate longitudinal stiffness (e.g. not too stiff because then you can't ride with sub-resonant waves, but not too weak otherwise you might break your back in a severe sag/hog situation) were known, and while you couldn't do CFD simulations analyzing required stiffness at resonant sag/hog conditions isn't that bad because it reduces to the kind of two-point or one-point support that can be analytically solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Zach Twamley, the guy who does the (pretty good) when diplomacy fails podcast, wrote a book on the importance of honor in british diplomacy and foreign policy around the first world war. Haven't really gotten into it yet though. Also it was a (masters? phd?) thesis so it does read like uh a school essay, but maybe the content is good

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

Unless I'm really loving bad at maths, a 10" hemisphere of gold is going to weigh about 180 pounds. That's not something you can just move around. You'll throw out your back.

So yeah, a doorstop? It'll be a pain to push around with your foot.

If it was meant as a neutron reflecting encasement it was probably hollow

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Nessus posted:

Mussolini apparently didn't give over Italian Jews until the very end of things and/or after he was a German puppet, as I recall, though he was still an imperialist son of a bitch.

Italy started instituting anti-jewish laws as early as 1938; it's why Fermi (his wife was Jewish by the standards of the law) and other scientists fled the country. Not the holocaust but not great.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

The one with the guy with the saber out is the coolest photo ever taken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

How did the British regimental system work after the industrialization of war? Like if I understand correctly, and tell me if I don’t, there’s all these regiments with names like her majesty’s 69th regiment of foot fetish grenadiers and the 420th scotch tape and such, and these are not only military units but cohesive social organizations (at least for the officers, at least in period fiction) with colonels at the head and they’re active in society and buying a commission in the Right Regiment is important and on and on and sure you might go to South Africa or India but mostly it’s about the social structure….

And then ww1 starts and there needs to be millions of men under arms and armies are in divisions and corps and armys under generals and field marshals. So what happened to all those regiments? Just like “her majesty’s 69th foot fetish grenadiers are now under the 30th infantry division and no more nice dinners for a bit”, and maybe when we’ve assigned all the scotch tape guards and still need more guys we just have some new regiments and they don’t get cool names? Or was it like a cross cutting organization or something?