Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatima
Dec 6, 2020

Skratte posted:

remember that time rotting potatoes killed an entire family because of the fumes?

I believe the smell is of fish in the early stages of decomposition

LOW SELF WORTH, PUNCH ME PLEASE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Had an old woman enter a movie theater (Finding Nemo). She smelled of such concentrated piss that I could smell it from 50 feet away. People groaned when she came near. I walked in the trail she had left behind minutes earlier and it was like she was still standing there. (I had gone to talk to the staff. Sorry, old lady for being one of the people that got you ejected, but it had to be done.)

Also, I once drove by the Farmer John slaughterhouse in Vernon, CA. That smell of blood and death is uncanny and sets your hairs on end before you even rationally identify what you are smelling. It's like primitive caveman instincts that warn you not to look for a home in THAT cave.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Water used to clean off industrial equipment that processes fish, that has been set aside in an old 2 liter coke bottle for several days. When you open it, it explodes all over your chest and legs.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Skratte posted:

remember that time rotting potatoes killed an entire family because of the fumes?

I remember in my first place I had bought a big bag of potatoes but forgot about them in the lower cupboard for about 3 weeks. Usually, potatoes are ok when they're cool but my apartment was like a loving sauna during the summer. I was at my sink and I was smelling something gross and I didn't know what it was, looked over at the cupboard and opened it. A bunch of putrefied potatoes poured out from the bag onto the floor. The stench was so strong that I puked right then and there.

Took me a while 'cause even through a rag held over my nose, trying not to puke while cleaning up potato goop and my own vomit was loving drat near impossible.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
one time one of our clients walked in early for his appointment and he had a fresh colostomy bag newly installed and idk what this guy did beforehand but a pure stream of material was coming out of his rear end, both shid and fard, of such powerful concentration that the whole lobby smelled like a loving jenkem factory

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Probably https://boingboing.net/2020/02/17/what-is-the-worlds-foulest-s.html

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
I once had to oversee an environmental remediation which involved cleaning and removing a 1,000-gallon underground grease trap at an abandoned bologna/lunch meat factory. I couldn't get within 50' of the thing without gagging. The poor guy who had to get in there to clean it was probably scarred for life.

Rotting, fermenting, oozing bologna production grease.

gently caress

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

marsisol posted:

I once had to oversee an environmental remediation which involved cleaning and removing a 1,000-gallon underground grease trap at an abandoned bologna/lunch meat factory. I couldn't get within 50' of the thing without gagging. The poor guy who had to get in there to clean it was probably scarred for life.

Rotting, fermenting, oozing bologna production grease.

gently caress

oh yeah grease traps can be pretty foul smelling

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's the... man what disease is that? the disease that makes dogs have terrible diarrhea shits. that dog poo poo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

When a toothbrush gets put in storage without being rinsed well enough.

Stale toothpaste mixed with bad breath makes me want to die.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I think it's really interesting how the smell of a rotting body, animal or otherwise, makes your primal brain put up red flags, even if you've never smelled it before. It's encoded in us and I think that's cool.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Pick posted:

It's the... man what disease is that? the disease that makes dogs have terrible diarrhea shits. that dog poo poo.

Parvovirus?

And yeah, parvo shits just smell wrong

hate hoot
Nov 7, 2012

Floodixor posted:

I think it's really interesting how the smell of a rotting body, animal or otherwise, makes your primal brain put up red flags, even if you've never smelled it before. It's encoded in us and I think that's cool.

Yeah, I was once advised not to use a certain stairwell at work because there was a dead mouse stinking it up. It was more convenient and I thought, "How bad could it be?" I walk in, am fine for 2 seconds and then it's like, nope, cannot be here.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Tarkus posted:

I remember in my first place I had bought a big bag of potatoes but forgot about them in the lower cupboard for about 3 weeks. Usually, potatoes are ok when they're cool but my apartment was like a loving sauna during the summer. I was at my sink and I was smelling something gross and I didn't know what it was, looked over at the cupboard and opened it. A bunch of putrefied potatoes poured out from the bag onto the floor. The stench was so strong that I puked right then and there.

Took me a while 'cause even through a rag held over my nose, trying not to puke while cleaning up potato goop and my own vomit was loving drat near impossible.

This. I would burn some of my own hair and sniff that to make that rotten potato smell go away.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
HOLY SHIT I JUST WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT BIRDS IN CAGES. DID YOU KNOW PUTTING BIRDS IN CAGES MAKES YOU LITERALLY WORSE THAN HITLER? CAUSE IT DOES AND I WILL MAKE SURE YOU KNOW. I ALSO WANT YOU TO KISS YOURSELF IF YOU EVER THINK ABOUT PUTTING A BIRD IN A CAGE.
the gunk you squeeze out of an old piercing

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Like a decade ago I went to the house of a friend of my ex's and no one warned me before we got there that the dude had 3 ferrets and 9 cats. He opened his front door and the smell was bracing. I think I managed to not pull a face and pretend everything was cool, so it obviously wasn't the worst smell in the world, but it wasn't great!!

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

For a long time I thought it was fish that was left on plates and stuffed into warmer/plate holding boxes and forgotten about for who knows how many months or years. When we cracked open those bad boys the entire back of the house was the same smell of death you might briefly smell at a funeral home or retirement home for hours.

No, the worst smell in the world is cleaning up a hoarder house of a hoarder that gave up and just pissed and shat wherever, or stored it and let it ferment and explode all over.
I'm not the cleanest person in the world but just thinking about it makes me start tidying up and doing a deep clean.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
My enchanting musk

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Its this:

https://www.froggysfog.com/scents/scent-sprays-scented-cologne/scent-spray-sampler-pleasant-neutral-and-stinky.html

Stinky selection. Specifically Rotting Decay. It is bad... very very bad.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

trump diap

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Fatima posted:

The smell of death - a smell that cannot be replicated.

Literally the smell of the lower G.I mentioned earlier.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The smell of failure, as some gentle goon already pointed out.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Floodixor posted:

It gives me a headache and it sticks in your nose its true, its an immediately disconcerting thing.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neZZfPfAdsk

EarthboundMermaid
Mar 6, 2012

Go then, there are other worlds than these.
Grease trap...instant vomit. Closely followed by hoarder house.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
one time during spring, when it was just starting to crest 90° and get real humid, my ex had three cookouts in a row in which she stood for hours in front of a hot grill in this weather. also she hated showering because she felt like it was a waste of time. at the end of the third day, she wanted me to do her doggy style and, shortly after I went in, the smell coming off her gooch was so overpoweringly vile it instantly withered every sexual impulse in my entire body for a week, and I had to make up an excuse to try and avoid ruining the moment. later she got pissed at me for saying she needed to shower. relationships! :thumbsup:

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I always wondered what it would be like to date a goonnette

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Jim Long-un posted:

relationships! :thumbsup:

there are things worse than being a 40-year-old virgin and you found one of them

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Motherfucker posted:

Literally the smell of the lower G.I mentioned earlier.
Is this because the lower GI bleed involves necrotic tissue or something? I'm trying to understand what exactly about bleeding from that particular area makes it smell so particularly horrible. I mean, worse than either blood or high-sulfur feces by themselves.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
your cooking, op

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
This is not the worst smell in the world
Oh no
This is just a tribute
*shids pants*

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Zugzwang posted:

Is this because the lower GI bleed involves necrotic tissue or something? I'm trying to understand what exactly about bleeding from that particular area makes it smell so particularly horrible. I mean, worse than either blood or high-sulfur feces by themselves.
My best guess is the oxygenated blood mixing with all the bacteria and feces in the lower GI tract like hypergolic rocket fuel of stank.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Step into the hall of a rendering plant.
Enjoy the smell of several hundred tonnes of mixed decomposing animals piled 3 stories high being scooped into an industrial blender by a JCB.

Then the tanker full of pigs blood arrives......

Fatima
Dec 6, 2020
Poultry farms smell pretty bad too

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

old people

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

very rotten potatoes

I came to post this. I left peeled potatoes in water for a week and when I realized it I could barely hold back the vomit as I walked them out to the compost.

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011
I work in a hospital and I've smelt some pretty foul poo poo in my days, but my strongest memory surrounding bad smells stems from the brother of someone who used to frequent my social circle back in the day. He was a swarthy, greasy, goony motherfucker who must've had some disorder going on that made his body odor absolutely loving foul (in addition to lackluster hygiene/dietary practices). The dude used to work at a local pizza point, and he would regularly make himself pizzas there that had every conceivable topping you could imagine on it, including heaps of garlic and anchovies; he would eat a large one on his own every time we got together for a LAN party or D&D and would literally lick the grease off his plate. I used to burn incense next to me and would place a fan facing in his direction in a futile attempt to divert the odor - his BO seemed to overpower even the strongest of competing scents. My apartment would inevitably smell like absolute dog poo poo for days after he'd come by. It was so bad that, at one party a buddy of mine had thrown, every guest at some point came up to him to complain about the smell so we took him out back and hosed him down with body spray (which didn't help).

I don't know how we tolerated that poo poo, but he was genuinely a nice guy and was always deeply apologetic about his body odor. Apparently he took the hint (i.e. explicit suggestions) and improved his hygiene practices at some point, but even that wasn't enough to stop him from making your eyes water or your gag reflex kick in. I can only describe his smell as a pungent marriage between rotten fish and spicy diarrhea.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I used to be a student garbageman and our uni had a food waste collection program. All the food waste would be taken to this modified roll off bin that was rigged with a pump to suck all the juices out. We'd have to operator the pump and fill a barrel with the liquids. The smell was so nasty and powerful, and just a little bit getting on you would stink for the rest of the day. It was pretty greasy and hard to clean as well.

The barrel full of liquid? We'd just dump it in the woods that tje campus owned

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

The Real Amethyst posted:

Step into the hall of a rendering plant.
Enjoy the smell of several hundred tonnes of mixed decomposing animals piled 3 stories high being scooped into an industrial blender by a JCB.

Then the tanker full of pigs blood arrives......

*heavy metal gets louder*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
geraniums