Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

WARNING!
Reports are coming in that Japanese forces are attacking Pearl Harbor for the third time! Complete surprise has been achieved and our forces are taking casualties. Newly (re)installed PACOM - Grey Hunter, is apparently flabbergasted that this can happen three times.

The War In the Pacific has started.

Day by day again? ARE YOU INSANE?!!

I think that question no longer needs answering.
Wibble.

Do we need to stage in intervention here?

Nope! My wife just shook her head, and my son who was not born when the last playthrough started and three by the time it ended has no idea what I’m taking about. (he’s four and a half now, unless I burn out, he’ll be eight by the time I get done. (And will probably have his own channel with 10x the subscribers I do.)
Though I will link my patreon page here, as someone may ask in the next few years. Def no obligation though!

So how is this different. To the last two bloody times you have done this?

Well, this time, I’m playing as the Allies (As the Allied AI falls over and cries about early 1942) - but on the hardest possible difficulty mode.
Also, I’m doing it as a video LP, as hat way you can get a real feel for my hatred of Betties and MKXIV Torpedoes. (plus its just quicker for me to do.)

I’m new here, and at this point I’m afraid to ask

What I’m doing here is playing Matrix Games’ War in the Pacific, Admirals Edition. A game that covers the entire pacific theater in WWII, with every plane, ship and formation tracked. It has daily turns, and I shall be posting one a turn. For the next three to four years.

This is the third time I will be doing this.

Shame I don’t like video LP’s

This is a hard one for me, but I felt that doing another SS LP of the game would send me madd(er) - this keeps it a bit fresher for me and allows me to vent a bit more when the game’s arcane black box throws out some stupid result.

Sorry to those who were hoping for a SS, but I have to do what interests me.
So! Without further ado! Here is the first in a long, long stream of videos!

Heavy losses, but I’ve had worse. But let’s see how we go from there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Of course the Repulse is down on Day 1 this time.

Now, who is madder, you for doing this for the third time, or me watching this in real time for the third time? Is entiewetok ready for the sudden influx of j-rations?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
godspeed you insane bastard

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
You absolute madman.

Are we doing lucky ships again? If so, I claim the USS Lexington

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
You absolute madman.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Grey Hunter posted:

Heavy losses, but I’ve had worse. But let’s see how we go from there!

Wasn't the Shaw in a drydock (that was flooded) during the attack? Funny that it took at torpedo.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Shine on you crazy diamond. Read the first 2 threads, in on the ground floor for the third.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
You beautiful bastard, I READ YOUR THREADS!

Claiming the BB North Carolina so Grey can sink her around Midway or something like that.

You absolute madman.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I had plenty of warning that this was coming, but I am still completely shocked.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Grey, watching the video... Is the decision to leave your subs' "max react" at zero deliberate? If so, what's the reasoning?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Start calling your lucky boats, folks.

CA Chokai for me

Spreadsheet below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w7-ve4QXtgiy1uf012NqsA9OF757jxPHBZtNg7jTnno/edit?usp=sharing

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 7, 2020

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
And it begins again!!

Well, let's reward the ship who was one of the few things that went well when I tried to command Guadalcanal... Claiming USS Washington! (BB) (Mainly because the HMS Valiant basically did sod all in Allies 1 ...)
(PS Spreadsheet is view only currently.)

Serpentis fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 7, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
In honor of ol' Brooklyn Bruiser, wherever he is now, I'll be claiming the one, the only...

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 7, 2020

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I would like to claim the USS Hornet

Excited to see this back.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Just like the last game I'm claiming the IJN Katsuragi (CV) because I really want to believe that this game will go all the way to 1945

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 7, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Serpentis posted:

And it begins again!!

Well, let's reward the ship who was one of the few things that went well when I tried to command Guadalcanal... Claiming USS Washington! (BB) (Mainly because the HMS Valiant basically did sod all in Allies 1 ...)
(PS Spreadsheet is view only currently.)

Spreadsheet is always view only.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You are a madman, Grey.

Also I'd like to claim the Akagi.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
USS Yorktown please!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I can't help but feel that all of Grey's experience with the game will just lead to its flaws being exposed earlier. 100 IJN DDs stuck at Ceylon and who knows what's going on in China.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Spreadsheet is always view only.

Ah right - my apologies, got a bit too eager :ohdear:

Back on topic - how bad was the Prince of Wales? Saw a lot of red damage numbers but she was at least making some headway from what I saw.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I will be taking my traditional choice of the USS IOWA May the war be still going by the time she arrives.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Serpentis posted:

Ah right - my apologies, got a bit too eager :ohdear:

No need to apologize, no offense was taken :)

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
I'm claiming USS Boise -- death or glory! :black101:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

USS Tang!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

This is madness. I'm in all the way.

I'll claim USS Seawolf.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'll take HMAS Canberra as my lucky ship :australia:

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 7, 2020

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'll be adopting CV Taiho.

Surely it can't end worse than how it went in real life, right????(he says, in 2020)

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Gewehr 43 posted:

Wasn't the Shaw in a drydock (that was flooded) during the attack? Funny that it took at torpedo.

And an unflooded one at that, originally. Perhaps the IJN air arm have already discovered skip-torpedo technology.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'm claiming the destroyer USS Johnston.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I'll take MV British Motorist as my lucky ship.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Clevebro... uh i mean USS Cleveland sounds like a lucky one.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I’ll take the IJN Musashi (BB)

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 7, 2020

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
In these terrible times, I'm glad there is the ever reliable WiTP Day by Day! Always something to look forward to after a hard day.

Good to see Admiral Hunter once again.

Lucky ship? HMS Dragon please!

Confused Enormatons
Apr 12, 2007

Robert Deadford posted:

In these terrible times, I'm glad there is the ever reliable WiTP Day by Day! Always something to look forward to after a hard day.

I feel the same way.

I'll take the USS Farragut (DD) as my lucky ship. drat the torpedoes (both the IJN's and our Mk. XIVs), full speed ahead!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
:hellyeah:

I'll take the first USS Wasp.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I'll take the Queen Elizabeth! No, not that one, the xAP Queen Elizabeth.

Such a bother my nice cruise got interrupted by this kerfuffle. Let's get this over with so I can get back to my shuffleboard and alcoholism!

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

It's a long way out but I had USS Intrepid as my lucky ship in the first game, here's for round two

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Robert Deadford posted:

2020 sucks, lets make 2021 better, one sunken Royal Navy ship at a time!

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Good God man. You are going to have mental break. I bought this game because of the original thread. I have never made it past June 1943. I look forward to the tense aerial combat.

I'll take the CA Portland as my lucky ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I claim CA Northampton! I don't know why I have such a fascination with the ship, I just do.