Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I've no idea which ship I want but I'm posting on the ground floor of this four year trip into madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I also know nothing about the ships, but have read through the previous LPs (or at least most of them).

Can't wait to see what happens for the next 4 years.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Round 3 Fight!

I will take the DD Fubuki

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Croctopus commands again.
Wait, what? :psyduck:

Good lord Grey, goonspeed you madman.

Now excuse me while I grab some popcorn. What does the high difficulty do? Better AI (:lol:) or do they get super cheat powers (free logistics if I'd have to guess).

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Omobono posted:

The Croctopus commands again.
Wait, what? :psyduck:

Good lord Grey, goonspeed you madman.

Now excuse me while I grab some popcorn. What does the high difficulty do? Better AI (:lol:) or do they get super cheat powers (free logistics if I'd have to guess).

I'm not 100% sure - I know they don't get more ships, but they prob get a whole load of other bonuses!

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I'll take what this absolutely will not be, the DD Quickmatch.

Goonspeed and goonluck.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Those poor fuckers facing down Zeros in P-26s...

E: Give me CA Ashigara

JcDent fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 8, 2020

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Oh boy, in on the ground floor of this one. The old threads were a perennial fixture around here but I could never really get up to speed. Give me SS Grayback. That was my ride in Silent Hunter 4, and that in turn was how I got into ship nerdery as a whole. Mark 14s don't always (don't usually) work, but once in a blue moon they work real darned well.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 8, 2020

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I'm going to fleetingly put my hope in a Royal Navy vessel making through, give me the CV, HMS Illustrious, as an amoured deck may be its salvation.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 8, 2020

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

In the year 2020 I don't know if I feel up to doing day-by-day historical losses again...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

In the year 2020 I don't know if I feel up to doing day-by-day historical losses again...

I feel like you have already gone above the call of duty....

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

*stares at his log of all allied shipping losses of WW2*

:emo:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I have some bad news regarding this being an Allied LP.

We will have to collectively endure the Mark 14 Torpedo once more.

Edit: Does anyone have a picture of the map for this game? I remember the older threads having a large version of it linked.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 8, 2020

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Here from the first, here for the third.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SkySteak posted:

I have some bad news regarding this being an Allied LP.

We will have to collectively endure the Mark 14 Torpedo once more.

Edit: Does anyone have a picture of the map for this game? I remember the older threads having a large version of it linked.

Clunk! DAMMIT!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Japanese make a second strike on Pearl! Manilla and Singapore are also hit! Ships are going down all over the pacific, as are aircraft!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You're a troubled boy.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I claim the USS Croaker a Gato class sub.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Sad King Billy posted:

I claim the USS Croaker a Gato class sub.

Oh hey, just saw that literally today:

Here's hoping it lives long enough to become a museum ship in this timeline, too!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I was worried by that second strike on pearl

and the IGN hits the airfield and not the boats

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I'm claiming SS Ro-500 aka U-511.

And oof, poor Langley going down on the second day already. There goes the OG american carrier. :911:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Jesus, you're doing it again. You're really doing it again.

Sign me up for USS Barb

zanni
Apr 28, 2018

you glorious bastard

sign me up for the CV Bunker Hill

looking forward to this, first time ill ever be seeing one of your threads as it happens!

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Oh my God you're doing it. How long has it been since you first started, 10 years?

Put me down for the BB Nagato, please.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Magni posted:

I'm claiming SS Ro-500 aka U-511.

And oof, poor Langley going down on the second day already. There goes the OG american carrier. :911:

Not found in-game.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I do a read through of your original day by day about once a year and if I remember my dates correctly it was a pretty pig push for me to get my membership here.

God speed.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
You have a very understanding wife Grey Hunter.

I would like to call CB-1 USS Alaska as my lucky ship and hope we get to see her in 4 years.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

You have a very understanding wife Grey Hunter.

I would like to call CB-1 USS Alaska as my lucky ship and hope we get to see her in 4 years.

She's normally asleep. I get up at 4am to do lps and game for three hours before her and th boy wake (or are allowed to get up in the boys case).

SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK
LPS ARE LIFE!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Due to the Surcouf not being in this game, I'll claim the SS I-401. Maybe this time it'll actually show up someplace.

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 10, 2020

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

She's normally asleep. I get up at 4am to do lps and game for three hours before her and th boy wake (or are allowed to get up in the boys case).

SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK
LPS ARE LIFE!

Do you operate on 4-6 hours of sleep or what?

E: RIP PG Tulsa

JcDent fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 9, 2020

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

JcDent posted:

Do you operate on 4-6 hours of sleep or what?

E: RIP PG Tulsa

6-7, always have. My wife goes to be at nine, so I go to sleep then.
(RIP my parents)

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

You daft bugger grey

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

6-7, always have. My wife goes to be at nine, so I go to sleep then.
(RIP my parents)

Jealous of the additional one-two hours per day you get, but hey, going to sleep when the SO does crew!

E: By the way, what exactly does it mean when GH says "irreplaceable pilots/planes?" I know all the Milhist thread memes about Japan, but is there a game mechanic that explicitly prevents replacements being trained up, or is it just how game ends up working, in that Japan can't afford the replacements?

JcDent fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 9, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

Jealous of the additional one-two hours per day you get, but hey, going to sleep when the SO does crew!

E: By the way, what exactly does it mean when GH says "irreplaceable pilots/planes?" I know all the Milhist thread memes about Japan, but is there a game mechanic that explicitly prevents replacements being trained up, or is it just how game ends up working, in that Japan can't afford the replacements?

The latter.

Every loss hurts the Japan moreso than the US and the game is very much about Japan surviving long enough.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

JcDent posted:

Yeah, I've been able to function on low sleep - I'm pretty drat weird, I'm a lucid dreamer, and can set my wake up time like an alarm clock - as long as I want to get up earlier and not later. I've not set an alarm in years.

as for pilots, new Allied pilots start with 40XP, while new Japanese pilots start at 25 IIRC - so every guy who buys the farm now is going to take years to replace.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
I was kind of hoping you’d redirect Lexi and Enterprise to snipe at the Kido after 2 days of hitting Pearl, but I can see that being a bit *too* aggro.

Besides they’re also USN ships so you can’t be sinking them yet, eh? :britain:

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Awesome effort again Grey Hunter. I wonder how many life changes I will go through before this is done. Is HMAS Sydney in this conflict? If so I will take that.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh hey, just saw that literally today:

Here's hoping it lives long enough to become a museum ship in this timeline, too!

I do rather like the name.

Being British I should have chosen an RN ship. I don't like being sunk though!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Awesome effort again Grey Hunter. I wonder how many life changes I will go through before this is done. Is HMAS Sydney in this conflict? If so I will take that.

The Light Cruiser or the Aircraft Carrier?

The Light Cruiser was sunk in November 1941, the Aircraft Carrier doesn't get commissioned until 1948.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

The light cruiser, it got sunk by a German commerce raider off Perth but maybe it will have better luck against the Japanese?