Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
1. Is Krystal good? Should I go to a Krystal?
2. If I'm getting food from a country restaurant that offers the platters with an entree and sides, what sides should I get?
3. I've heard Alabama has a mayonnaise-based bbq sauce and the idea of that makes me want to throw up. But is it actually good?

Feel free to give me any other advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Eat okra.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Eat poo poo

this is the basis of most southern cuisine

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
1. No.
2. Fried pickled okra or green tomatoes are standard.

Pimento cheese is just cheese with mayo and cream cheese and some peppers or whatever. Everything has mayonnaise in it. If it comes from the ground it must be battered and cooked in oil. Grits are just corn, butter, salt and milk. If you order a fountain drink it will be 75% ice.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Bless your heart, OP.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
When they ask what you want for a side ask them if they have any updog :hehe:

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Try and act swarthy to fit in.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

loopsheloop posted:

Bless your heart, OP.

Hey I know what that means!! :mad:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Eat pork. Eat fish. Eat fork. Eat dish.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

1. Krystal is the burger equivalent to Taco Bell, barely food but good if you're drunk. I downed a dozen sliders my first time there, the next day I had the most urgent poo poo I had in my life and barely made it without paying the brown price.

2. Fried okra, okra and tomatoes, cornbread, collard greens, mashed potatoes but only with white gravy (not brown gently caress that poo poo).

3. Never heard of it but I'd try it why the gently caress not?

edit: vvvvvvvv gently caress yeah cheese grits, black eyed peas can be hit or miss for such a simple side; it's weird.

neato burrito fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 8, 2020

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
OP where are you coming from? Okra person is right but I’d also like to add: fried chicken and waffles, fried catfish, cheese grits as a side, yams (the king of crops) and black eyed peas

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

loopsheloop posted:

Bless your heart, OP.

drat u gonna take that OP?!

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

It’s literally White Castle with a different logo so

Get Lima beans as a side dish, especially if it’s a fried chicken place :yum:

White bbq sauce is cool and good

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Don’t forget about chargrilled oysters :popeye:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The best South in terms of food is South India.

You should eat some Idli's and Sambar. Also, get yourself some Rassam, and eat it the proper way, by drowning the rice in Rassam and pouring in some potato crisps.

Finish it all off with Gulab Jamun, and you've had a fine meal.

Next time you can have a Mysore Masal Dosa.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

You should eat some Idli's and Sambar. Also, get yourself some Rassam, and eat it the proper way, by drowning the rice in Rassam and pouring in some potato crisps.

hey yall look at this yankee and his globe learning

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

For sure DON'T do this.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Also we don't say "thank you" we say " 'ppreciate ya." Might help you fit in.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ask them if you can get your pulled pork sloppy wet with sauce like a dick juicing after a thirty day nut fast. It's the accepted southern phraseology. Add "And keep the dick stirring in the fat bussy" for a pinch of chili flake.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Pour boiling water over the back of your neck and your ears until they are permanently red and scalded and say "Hooooo I do declare it be a hot one" all the time.

I have no idea what "the South" is.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
eat whatever you normally would

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

BrigadierSensible posted:

Is it possible for you to just... gently caress off

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nooner posted:

When they ask what you want for a side ask them if they have any updog :hehe:

What’s updog? :wave:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Every soda from ginger ale to pineapple Fanta is known as “Coke” so just order sweet tea

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
1) Krystal's is an excellent place to go if you like food poisoning

2) get fried okra, green beans or collard greens but it's important to know that most of the vegetables will be worse for you than the mains because of how much butter/grease that they use

3) white sauce is a thing, most people like it on chicken but if you're ordering chicken at a bbq restaurant you've already hosed up so you might as well douse it in mayo you animal

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Do yourself a favor and ask around for a place that sells 'cat's head' biscuits. It is very likely that it will also be a gas station, but don't let that fool you. I recommend the pork tenderloin biscuit, if availible. Also get some gravy to dip it in.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also enjoy your COVID because you are 100% going to acquire it

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've lived in Alabama for 30 years, so obviously I am the foremost authority.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

1. Is Krystal good? Should I go to a Krystal?
No. It's wanna-be White Castle. My wife had the worst food poisoning of her life after eating at Krystal. Also, while there are several in Alabama, it's a Georgia chain.

If you want Alabama-centric garbage food that's actually tasty, find a Milo's. The greasiest burgers imaginable.

quote:

2. If I'm getting food from a country restaurant that offers the platters with an entree and sides, what sides should I get?
Southern-style green beans. Full of fat and bacon and all kinds of poo poo that doesn't belong there but somehow makes it better.

quote:

3. I've heard Alabama has a mayonnaise-based bbq sauce and the idea of that makes me want to throw up. But is it actually good?
No, not actually good. Many BBQ places here offer it, but it's not the default at most of them. Ask first.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Also enjoy your COVID because you are 100% going to acquire it
Also, this. Nobody here gives a poo poo about COVID. Anything that's open is packed, and half the people aren't bothering to wear masks because MAH FREEDUM.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm going to eastern Mississippi, a straight trip through Alabama, and Georgia.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Not Alabama, but one of the best breakfasts I ever had was at a Miss Shirley's in Maryland. It was basically every stereotypical Southern side dish (grits, collard greens, okra, et al) scrambled up with eggs. Delicious.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not Alabama, but one of the best breakfasts I ever had was at a Miss Shirley's in Maryland. It was basically every stereotypical Southern side dish (grits, collard greens, okra, et al) scrambled up with eggs. Delicious.

I dunno what this is, but it isn't good and Maryland isn't Southern by any stretch.
Please take this away from this thread and wash yourself.

e: me, having to remind myself, an American, that Maryland is a state.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Big Beef City posted:

I dunno what this is, but it isn't good and Maryland isn't Southern by any stretch.

It's below the Mason-Dixon line you clown. You absolute imbecile.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Southern food is good, but is it worth dying for? I guess you're gonna find out.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
You should order a Hot Brown

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's below the Mason-Dixon line you clown. You absolute imbecile.

...shots fired

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Ask for fish & chips

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Big Beef City posted:

Having grown up in the southernmost point of Maryland, it's 100% a southern state. Also the Klan had made a revival there.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

interwhat posted:

Having grown up in the southernmost point of Maryland, it's 100% a southern state. Also the Klan had made a revival there.

You have my sympathy

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm going to eastern Mississippi, a straight trip through Alabama, and Georgia.

what towns in mississippi? where are you starting from? are you just shooting I20 from Jackson to Atlanta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

interwhat posted:

lol I always forget southern Maryland is a thing until I go to OC.