Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"
Gobbet is the best :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

struggling to imagine the potential benefit of having greasy, buttery pocket-clams. desperately hoping it comes up

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Kith posted:

struggling to imagine the potential benefit of having greasy, buttery pocket-clams. desperately hoping it comes up

How can you possibly set up chekov's clams and have them not come up? I hope they somehow come up several missions down the line.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Obligatum VII posted:

How can you possibly set up chekov's clams and have them not come up? I hope they somehow come up several missions down the line.

You trick the final boss into eating the now incredibly rotten clams and they immediately drop dead.

Gobbet then eats one that fell on the ground and says it could have used a bit more salt.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Obligatum VII posted:

you put them in the vase from the Dragonfall intro, and then ...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That poor vase. You eventually return but are too busy dragon slaying/freeing to reunite with your one, true love.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

FoolyCharged posted:

That poor vase. You eventually return but are too busy dragon slaying/freeing to reunite with your one, true love.

I'm still salty about this a decade later. I don't care about Monica, great dragons, or or hunter-killer AI. I just want to go back and claim the freaking vase you promised me all game.

Also, in Dragonfall it's very easy to buy the thermos of real Turkish coffee and spend the rest of the game walking around with it in your pants, because you missed it's one and only use. At least let me drink the drat thing if I want.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 31, 2024

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

What I wonder is if HBS somehow missed the "I'll be back for you, vase"/"you go back there" intro/ending bookends and were surprised that people remembered the vase, or if something got cut

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
The vase was eventually shattered along with the rest of the flux state

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
Lofwyr took the vase.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Agaragon posted:

Lofwyr took the vase.

:smaug:

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
You can't just steal a vase, you have to urn it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

that was punbearable

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Kith posted:

I guarantee Gobbet will be down for cold pocket clams when you get back to the ship.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
"all around you, you hear a smattering of polite applause"

I'm picturing Racter bowing slightly to the public and our protagonist flexing their biceps.

Security is probably thinking that not a single one of the convention guests have any sort of social skills.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
& a belated happy New Year to the thread!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Part 37 - In the Sacred Halls of Deckery

The plan to lure Rhombus to the VIP room and get our hands on his software for Is0bel is officially underway. Is0bel has her staff uniform and we have our pockets lined with clams, so let's kill some time on the show floor while she gets set up.

The food court includes a number of vending machines, like this Noodle Extruder which... actually gives off a vaguely disturbing aura when we get close to it for some reason. Weird, maybe it's just our sixth sense warning us not to eat questionable convention noodles.

The machines do seem pretty popular though, considering we just came through a perfectly fine kitchen serving perfectly fine clams which probably don't always require moderately violent favors to get your hands on. One of the guys in line is sporting some fancy-looking artifical hands of his own, which seem as good a starting point for our mingling as any.

I wanted to compliment you on your cyberhands - that's nice work.

Thanks. They're custom.

[He lifts his right hand to the light. The honeycomb structure of the induction pad's circuitry glints under the smooth plastic of its surface.]

It's surprisingly hard to find induction pads that aren't hidden under synthetic skin.

They are a work of art. Who designed them for you?

I know a guy out Neo-Tokyo way. Works at one of Renraku's Chiba clinics. I got him to make the things for me. Cost an arm and a leg - er, both arms and no legs, if you wanna get technical about it. But it was worth it.

Wouldn't you want them to be hidden? Doesn't making them obvious kind of defeat the purpose?

Might defeat your purpose. Not mine, though. I don't do a lot of sneakin' around, and I see cybernetic enhancements as a form of expression. There's nothing more boring than a beautiful piece of tech masquerading as a normal human hand.

Sure, take a trip to the Barrens while showing off expensive vanity gear like that and boredom's definitely going to be low on your list of concerns.

So what's worth ordering from the vending machines?

[He chuckles.]

Nothin'. But getting a bowl from the Noodle Extruder is a DeckCon tradition. You just do it, whether you want to or not.

So you stand in line... at a catered event... and *pay money* for worse food?

(If Gobbet was around...)

quote:

Me, I'd dump the clams into the noodles. Or... wait, this is better, I'd dump the clams into the *vending machine.* It has to have an intake hopper somewhere, right?

[His eyes narrow.]

Why...?

Because then it could make *clam noodles.* Shellfish in pasta form! That would be amazing, right? They'd go with everything!

[The dwarf turns to glare at you.]

Keep her away from the machine.

But hang on. Don't the show organizers own the vending machines, too?

Yeah. And the irony isn't lost on me.

[He lowers his voice.]

Political statements aside, I want my noodles. For *this* show, and *this* crowd, it's all about these machines and the doughy ropes that they produce. They're terrible, but they're the *right* kind of terrible, like synthetic cheese and vat-grown chicken. They're science-food, and we love them.

Makes as much sense as anything else, I guess.

Sure it does. At the end of the day, we like what we like. Sometimes that means clams, and sometimes it means crappy extruded noodles.

Well, gotta run. Good talking to you.

[He turns back toward the Noodle Extruder.]

Yeah. You, too.

While idly listening to some shady-sounding sales presentation in the nearby deck area, we get a call.

No, not yet.

--et to the waiting position near the VIP entra--

[Your ears fill with a shrill electronic whine.]

--and use the kiosk. Remember: PerfectPersona.

Use the PerfectPersona kiosk to talk to you. Copy that.

While you're getting there, I'll start working on getting you VIP access and locating Rhom--

[The line goes dead.]

Got it. I'll signal you when ready.

If there's any more exploring you'd like to do out here on the show floor, you'd best do it now, before we use the kiosk. I doubt that we'll get the opportunity to afterward.

If Is0bel's schedule for this run didn't take into consideration our well-established method of talking to everyone who catches our eye before moving on, then that's really just a failure in planning on her part.

We'll look around a bit more before we hit the kiosk.

The next target of our attention is the nearby older-looking dwarf, the kind of guy who simultaneously looks very out of place, but also like he was born here and it was everyone else who moved in afterwards.

[Extend your hand.] Taz. And you are...?

[He grabs your proffered hand and shakes it vigorously.]

Call me Turtle. Been going to DeckCon for drat near twenty years now, and it's never looked half as nice as it does now.

Yeah, this is pretty swank for a computer convention. When did they start catering these things?

This is the first year they've done it. Wasn't nobody handing out bowls of clams back in '36, I'll tell you that much. Lotsa *corporate* money flowing into this thing these days. 'Course, they still have the automated food court over yonder, and people are still lining up for it. Suppose I can't blame 'em... it's a DeckCon tradition.

[The old decker lowers his voice to a conspiratorial whisper.]

I've heard that the guy who first organized the show sold out to some big promoter, took home a six-digit paycheck. Lotsa young guys have been bitching and moaning all over Shadowland about that, but not me. I've been around long enough to know the score. Someone offers you that kind of money, you *take* it.

Seeing as we're wading in corpses and risking our own gruesome death on a daily basis in exchange for four-digit paychecks right now, please don't even ask what we might be willing to do for those two extra numbers. Seriously, neither of us here would be comfortable finding out the answer.

So where'd you get your handle from? "Turtle" is a funny name for a decker.

An old, *old* piece of software. Somethin' that went obsolete well before your time.

[He grins.]

I guess I'm showin' my age. But something about that little cluster of pixels always made me happy.

Are you here to see anything in specific?

Got my eyes on a couple of things this year. I'm gonna check out the Fairlight booth, of course... and Fuchi's doing some interesting things with miniaturization.

[He shakes his head ruefully.]

Y'know, when I was just gettin' started, it would've taken an entire warehouse full of machines to match the computing power of the PDA on your wrist. No, scratch that - they wouldn't've come close.

This sounds like it could go on until our own hair starts going gray, but we'd like to do some more touring while we can, so it's probably time for a polite disengagement.

Technology's come a long way.

Sure has.

[He shakes his head, grinning.]

Sure has. Y'know, I've decided that I like you. Ain't many deckers that'll take the time to chat with an old dwarf on the show floor these days. Anyway. I've taken up plenty of your time already - I'm sure that you've got exhibits to see. Unless you wanted something else...?

Nah, gotta keep moving, Turtle. Enjoy the show.

[He waves to you.]

Bye, then!

Sculptit? We don't know even know it! Seriously, who even knows what half of this stuff is for.

We do know an opportunity to engage in some righteous pilfering when we see one though.

Please. Places like this never run at full capacity - you're keeping a few VIP slots in the back, right?

We're full up. I don't know how else to say it. You need to wait like everyone else. Stay cool, and we'll get you in as soon as possible.

See that guy over there, laid out on the floor? I'm the one who put him there. Let me through, or you're gonna join him.

[His eyes widen in surprise.]

I'm so sorry! I didn't realize who I was dealing with. Here, go on through... I think I may just take a lap around the Con floor. Take as much time as you need.

Diplomacy wins the day again.

No need for him to take a long walk either, we're only here for a quick dip.

Our little tour around the simsense parlor nets us ¥204 in total. Hey, it's not even half as morally dubious as our usual work.

Next up is the drone area, where you can basically feel Koschei's smug sense of supremacy. Or Racter's, guess it's basically the same thing.

There's also a fellow deckless troll lounging around nearby.

Strange to see someone at DeckCon without a cyberdeck.

[He snickers.]

I could say the same about you. Where's your deck, woman?

Don't have one. I'm here to cover the event for the Shadowland BBS.

[His eyes go wide.]

Really? Hey, that's pretty wiz! Are you interviewing people? Because I can tell you all about the new hotness in decking technology!

While we appreciate the offer--

[He continues without waiting for a response.]

It's the apex of modern decking technology. Miniaturized, compact, easy to sneak into the most sensitive of locations. I don't need to lug a great big external deck around with me anymore. It's a night-and-day difference between this and my old Fairlight Excalibur, friend, *night-and-day.*

How are you enjoying the Con?

It's great! I've gotten to tell a lot of people about my new deck... y'know, spreading the word, educating folks. It feels good to save my fellow deckers from wasting their money on old, external decks. I guess you could call me a cranial deck evangelist, ha-ha!

[He nods his head eagerly, desperation in his eyes.]

Well, you're doing good work. You might've sold me on one already!

Where'd you get your cranial deck anyway?

The Chop Chop Shop, in Kowloon City. They told me not to ask where it came from.

[He chuckles to himself.]

Lotsa things "fall off of trucks" out Kowloon way. I'm sure that this was the same.

We're not above picking up some roadside goods if we can make use of 'em, but can't say we've ever been tempted to stick any of it into our brain afterwards. Seems kinda unhygienic.

So why get a deck installed in your head?

Why *wouldn't* I? It's compact, it's versatile, it's fast and powerful. With this sweet baby, I can deck wherever I go, whenever I want, *without* having to lug something the size of an electronic keyboard around with me. It's the best of all worlds, I'm tellin' you. You've gotta get one for yourself!

[Is0bel's voice crackles in over your commlink.]

This guy is an idiot. Cranial cyberdecks are a terrible idea for more reasons than I can count. Deckers swap out their gear every couple of months... you want someone monkeying around in your brain that often? I’ll make it easy for you - you don’t.

[The troll continues, blissfully unaware of Is0bel's interruption.]

So have I sold you on a headdeck of your own yet? Come on, you know that I have!

Yeah, you've got me. I've gotta get one of those for myself!

[His mouth erupts into a toothy grin. He thrusts an upraised thumb into the air.]

All riiiight! Good call, my friend! I promise you, you won't regret it. So, was there anything else that you wanted to know? Go ahead, ask me anything!

Okay. Wouldn't you have people poking around in your head every time you need to upgrade?

[He blinks.]

Well, uh, I guess, but...

That thing is going to be obsolete within six months. And then you have to... what? Get more brain surgery?

Tech-heads, literally in this case, sure can be sensitive. But decking with your brain, huh. Dunno if it was his installation that made him act like a walking advertisement, but we did learn something new at least.

The Azzies are present too, thankfully only in peaceful product form. As far as anyone can tell, anyway.

One of the attendees here show even fewer decker-y signs than the last one. In fact he gives off a feeling of belonging here about as naturally as us, which is saying something.

Maybe a closer inspection is in order for this one...

[As your third eye flutters shut, color and vibrance return to the world. The man in front of you clears his throat.]

So, uh... if you're not here for the kiosk, was there something else that you needed?

Alright, surely we blend in at least a little bit more naturally than this painfully sore thumb. We're in a ninja getup and everything.

No, that's all right. It looks broken anyway.

[He glances down at the screen.]

Oh. Yeah. I guess that it's not supposed to do that. I wasn't really paying attention.

You aren't a decker. You're an adept.

[His demeanor changes. Goes from tired to suspicious.]

Why do you say that?

Takes one to know one.

Because I read your aura.

Then you're as out of place here as I am. Look. I'm here to relax and get off the streets. They've got free clams and free wine, and everybody but you seems happy to keep to themselves. So just leave me in peace, okay?

You're here for the clams? Really?

[He tenses up, clearly irritated.]

Yes. I love clams. Clams, mussels, oysters... if it's a bivalve, I wanna eat it. Butter and lemon are my best friends, and right at this moment, I'd kill a man for wine in a plastic cup. Is that okay with you?

Hey man, we're pretty deep in the clam scene ourselves, got the goods to prove it and everything. But fine magic folk like ourselves who can best use a cyberdeck by smashing someone's head with one don't drag ourselves to a place like this for the local seafood.

(Shadowrunner) Look. I think that you're here on a job. I am, too. Just wanna make sure that we don't step on each other's toes.

[His eyes flit to the far door again. Slowly, they shift back to you.]

...My target's name is Ez3kiel. Extraction job. Should be quick and quiet. You?

Rhombus. Intimidation gig. Doesn't sound like we have any overlap.

[He nods thoughtfully.]

No. Doesn't sound that way. Good looking out. Now, if you wouldn't mind, I really need to keep my eyes on that door. When he comes waltzing through, I need to be there with a plate of clams and a chloroformed rag.

Chloroform, huh? Pulling out the old classics?

If it ain't broke...

[He shrugs.]

Anyway. Best of luck on your run.

In the Fuchi section there's a vendor selling decker goods, but the selection's the same as back in Heoi and of no interest to us. Which is good because we most likely couldn't afford anything super-exclusive right now, even with the free donations we picked up earlier.

A particularly colorful trio nearby are also engaged in spirited debate over something. Much like that last fellow, these three are clearly not your standard grade nerds either.

Besides, everyone knows that Fuchi is going down the tubes. Villiers is pulling assets out of the company and transferring them to his other holdings as fast as he can get away with it. So if Fuchi is collapsing in on itself, and Fairlight doesn't do mid-range machines, then Allegiance is obviously primed to--

[The ork sighs.]

NovaHott here is Allegiance's number-one superfan, in case you couldn't tell. Never mind the fact that their only current product, the Alpha, is woefully lackluster next to the competition. We've been going around and around on this for hours. So what do you think? Which deck is going to be best in class at the midrange price point in '57?

The what in the what range now

This isn't a great start to a conversation, anyone will be able to tell a topic this specific is way above our level of casual bullshitting. But hold on... what if we can avoid answering because of it actually being way *below* our level instead? Weren't we just earlier made uncomfortably familiar with the "apex of modern decking technology"?

You can forget Allegiance *and* Fuchi. This time next year, cranial cyberdecks are gonna be the hottest thing in town.

That's... interesting. And more than a little hardcore. But as far as I've heard, we're still a decade off from cranial decks becoming the norm. You know something that we don't?

Yeah. I'm rocking one. So's that troll over there.

Really? Wow. That's pretty impressive... expensive, too. If you're successful enough to afford a cranial deck, you're someone that I want to know. Hang around a bit, let's chat.

Who says making friends is difficult, all it takes is some bare-faced lies that make you sound sufficiently interesting. And a few silent prayers that nobody asks any uncomfortable follow-up questions.

Got any hot tips that a fellow decker might find useful? I've been out of the loop for a few days.

[NovaHott chuckles.]

Hey, join the club. Between travel arrangements and the transorbital flight out here, I'm a little behind on current events.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Wish that I could help you, but I sort of lose touch with the world the week of the Con.

That's a shame, would've been interesting to share some razor sharp insider knowledge about uh, hacking things with our deck programs, or something. Anyway...

[Point to the elf that you punched.] Did you see me lay that poser out over there?

Yeah, that was a beautiful sight. Maladjusted idiots like that give deckers everywhere a bad name.

If you hadn't punched him out, I probably would've had to. Thanks for saving me the effort.

My pleasure. So, where are you from?

Macau.

I've got a house in Indonesia. Spend most of my time in Seattle, though.

I'm from Phnom Penh, but do a lot of work out here in HK.

And how're you enjoying the Con so far?

Bierce... we come out here because you start getting excited about the show months in advance every year. You left me fifteen voice messages to make sure that I remembered to book the hotel room.

That's because I remember what happened in '52. I do enough sleeping on the street back home. I don't need to do it when I'm on vacation, too.

How many times do I have to apologize for that?

I'll let you know when you can stop.

It's kinda like listening to Gobbet and Is0bel, which means they must have some real tight bonds between them. Speaking of, it's probably time we got a move on.

Alright, I've gotta go.

Think we've seen just about everything there is to see at this convention, on the public side at least. To the south is a door to the private parts, but...

Why can't I go through?

[She slows her speech to a crawl.]

Because. You. Aren't. Staff. Now back down. Go mingle with your decker buddies. Talk about computer stuff, or whatever it is you people do.

I still want to go through the door.

Then get a job with the damned hotel.

[Another yawn. She doesn't bother to hide it this time.]

Until you do, just... back off.

Got it.

Don't think going for the face punching technique would work all that great this time. And well, getting through here isn't part of the current plan anyway.

We've kept Is0bel waiting long enough, time to actually proceed with executing the aforementioned plan. The VIP entrance and the kiosk she mentioned are easy to enough to find, but who knows how it's gonna go from here...

Testing, testing, one-two-three... can you hear me, Taz?

Yeah, I hear you. What was that?

A command-line code for the kiosk to connect with your commlink via direct link.

[A hint of smugness creeps into her voice.]

This way, we can bypass using a comm signal entirely.

Clever.

I know. As long as you remain within a couple of feet of the kiosk, we shouldn't have any problems. Wander too far outside of that range and you're gonna get static again.

So basically, we can't move from this spot.

That's what I said, right? Now that we're all linked up, give me a second and I'll locate Rhombus...

[You hear the sound of rattling keystrokes, coupled with Is0bel muttering under her breath.]

(Note: Explosion not a literal one.)

Let me guess: this is where the plan goes off the rails. He's already in the VIP area?

[She rails into your earpiece, fuming.]

I’m *twice* the decker that he is, and everybody knows it! What makes him a VIP when I'm not?!

Deckers are so much easier to talk to in the flesh, stick them into a computer where they start feeling like gods and suddenly it's really hard to reach the ears with the inflated ego in the way.

Calm down, Is0bel. At least we know where he is.

All right. I know which room he's staying in now.

[Another strained silence.]

I'll just need a few minutes to get you your VIP upgra--

Oh this is that familiar feeling, like a stress headache that isn't actually there yet, but which you can already feel approaching from the very near future where things have inevitably gone sideways in some manner.

Well, my friend. What to do now...? Shall we--

Thinking about it now, the "simple plan" not in any way covering the scenario of possible guards showing up in the guarded area guarded by guards does seem like a bit of an oversight.

What, you were looking for him in the Matrix? And besides, you don't have any coffee. So try again.

[She continues to sputter. Her eyes dart toward the screen, fixing on you. You can see the desperation on her face.]

Well, I need to, uh...

She's so not going to make it through this by herself, is she.

We're doing the Cyrano thing, aren't we? Is that what we're doing now?

...Yes. Please. I need help.

You're telling me. All right, this is your last chance. Start talking sense, or spend the night with the HKPF.

"I'm sorry, I'm just nervous. I've never been in trouble before."

I'm sorry, I'm just nervous.

[The words sound rehearsed, but they're tinged with enough genuine panic to be plausible.]

I've never been in trouble before.

[The guard glances at his counterpart.]

We don't have time for this. Just kick her out and be done with it.

But I--

No buts! You're getting off easy here!

Don't argue with her. Just let them kick you out of the room.

[She clenches her jaw. Looks up at the guard.]

...Yes, sir.

Good call.

What a damned nightmare this is turning out to be. I'm sorry, Taz, but I couldn't get you your VIP access.

You got out of there in one piece, and *without* the cops getting drawn into this. That's what's important.

You're right. At least I know where we have to go. Rhombus has a room in the VIP section, and I can get us there. There's only one problem. Without VIP access, you can't open the door without sounding an ala--

--an let you through from this side. That's what I'm gonna do now - I'll make my way down to you and open the door.

I lost a bit of that. Are we gonna have communication problems again?

Maybe. A bit. I'm still using the kiosk to talk to you, but now that I'm not jacked in I can't route messages to it directly anymore. Please, stay put. If you lose the kiosk, we're gonna have serious communication issues.

This is getting better and better.

We're pretty used to talking our way through people, but doing it through a third person inbetween sure is a first. But well, doesn't seem like there's much direct action we can take while we're stuck out here on the convention floor.

I've got your back. Let's do this.

Next time: Is0bel navigates the stormy seas of social communication while guided by a disembodied voice desperately trying to steer her away from the inevitable shipwreck.

As a minor curiosity, despite being such an irrelevant part, getting past the staff member to pickpocket the people in the SimSense parlor has one of the highest number of different viable dialogue checks. Aside from having punched that one guy in the face as we did, you can also gain access with Body 5, Decking 6, Shadowrunner etiquette, Gang etiquette, Socialite etiquette, Security etiquette or Corporate etiquette. They're not individually interesting enough to show off, but here's the version if you somehow can't make any of them:

We're full up. I don't know how else to say it. You need to wait like everyone else. Stay cool, and we'll get you in as soon as possible.

The show organizers are gonna be livid when they hear that you made me wait.

[He rolls his eyes.]

Yeah, sure. Of course they will. All right. Tell me who you are and I'll see if your name's on the list.

Ever heard of Richard Villiers? CEO of Fuchi?

Of course I have. Why? Are you saying that you know him?

It's me! *I'm* Richard Villiers! In disguise! I, uh... I left my ID at home.

[He rolls his eyes again.]

Nice try. Now get lost.

---

Having Gaichu with you leads to some extra dialogue when first meeting HeadSpace:

[The troll glances down at Gaichu. Smirks.]

Hey. Nice costume. Not the kind of cosplay I'd expect to see at a decking convention, but whatever. You got the armor wrong, though. Red Samurai pauldrons don't look like that.

[Gaichu turns to face the troll, clearly taken aback.]

I assure you, the design is quite authentic... despite what you might have seen on the trideo.

Sorry, man, but you're wrong. I mean, I can see that you put a lot of effort in, but you should've done your homework first.

This *is* Red Samurai armor, you fool.

[The troll snickers in amusement. He gives Gaichu a condescending smile.]

Yeah, pal. Sure it is. That's what I love about you cosplayers... you can never bring yourselves to admit when you're wrong.

[He turns to you as Gaichu bristles.]

Hey. What's going on?

---

The option to impress the runner trio by bringing up the cranial deck (which otherwise requires passing very tough dialogue checks) is slightly bugged in a way that's very easy to miss on a normal playthrough. When HeadSpace asks where your deck is, you actually have to pick the other generic answer ("I left it in my hotel room") rather than the one used in the update about covering the event for the Shadowland BBS, or the game won't acknowledge having talked to him about it at all and so it can't be brought up in later dialogue either.

Otherwise impressing them (which isn't actually required to talk to them afterwards) is rather difficult. Picking the Charisma choice immediately leads to a second and even higher Charisma 6 or Intelligence 6 check which are very high for this stage, and the Decking 5 option can only be followed through with the Corporate etiquette. Here's how the two go if you can pull them off:

...so what do you think? Which deck is going to be best in class at the midrange price point in '57?

(Charisma 5) I'm not a brand loyalist, guys. I don't have a horse in this race.

[Bierce raises an eyebrow.]

That wasn't an answer. You're dodging the question.

(Charisma 6) I don't have an answer. That's why I'm not preordering anything. The smart decker waits until the reviews are in before committing to a purchase.

What she's saying makes sense, guys. It might not be a fun answer, but it's a good one.

Yeah, I suppose.

[She frowns.]

It's so much more *fun* to argue, though.

I think that you've earned your seat at the table, friend.

[The ork makes space for you to join the group.]

Come on over and join us.

-

...so what do you think? Which deck is going to be best in class at the midrange price point in '57?

(Decking 5) Hate to break it to you, but Fuchi's gonna stay on top in the midrange market. The VirtuaX will be best in class for its price point next year, just like it was this year.

[Bierce groans.]

Oh, come on. How can you still have confidence in Fuchi? The president/CEO of the company doesn't! Go to Shadowland and see for yourself... there's a whole megathread devoted to the subject.

(Corporate) Richard Villiers is one of the savviest businessmen in the world. If you think that Fuchi is failing, it's because he wants you to.

[NovaHott nods slowly.]

I think that she's right. Villiers is no fool. He has to have some sort of ulterior motive for plundering the Fuchi coffers. This wouldn't have gotten out at all if he didn't have some reason to want it to.

You're all overthinking this. This is corporate greed, plain and simple. Villiers' company is going down the tubes, and he wants to take whatever he can before--

Doubt it. I think that our new friend is right - it's too early to write Fuchi off as a failure. The VirtuaX is gonna take it again, just like I said. If it doesn't, I'll eat my own encephalon.

[The ork gives you an appreciative nod.]

Thanks for helping us settle that, stranger. Now, is there anything that we can do for you?

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 29, 2024

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
This convention is great fun. I haven’t been to such an event in over a decade, I need to go again soon. :)

No, wait, pointless debates, security restrictions, bad food, and the risk of being pickpocketed doesn’t sound like fun at all. Never mind.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Punched in the face and knocked to the ground at bronycon

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

By a guy who smelled like he was carrying a pocketful of oysters

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

cant believe he got into a fight at RapureCon

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Turtle is probably a reference to Logo and I love it

also Logo was originally written in 1967 so for those of you turning into dust thinking about how old an Apple IIgs is, it gets worse :v:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Psion posted:

also Logo was originally written in 1967 so for those of you turning into dust thinking about how old an Apple IIgs is, it gets worse :v:

One of the first programming languages I learned in a high school comp sci class was NetLogo, so turtle in a programming context jumped out to me as well.

Also, Richard Villers is indeed a dick of a CEO and is currently in the process of raiding his own company that he owns a third of because he knows it’s gonna go under and to screw over the other owners, due to the weirdness of it’s ownership structure (he owns a third and the Japanese own the rest). He got his start as a corporate raider in Boston after all and that’s how he made his original money. Fuchi goes under before Shadowrun 3rd Edition and Villers builds Novatech up in it’s place, which then evolved into NeoNET when the old Matrix went down prior to the beginning of 4th Ed. If only CFD hadn’t happened and NeoNET blamed for what happened in the Boston Lockdown because of it, with them effectively eating the corporate death penalty because of it. Even after all of that, Villers is still probably one of the richest men in North America.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Villiers is a very fun character because, in a setting of evil wizards, murderous otherworldly spirits, megalomaniac AIs, brutal augmented fascists, and literal dragons, he's sincerely just A Really lovely Finance Dude. And he's super successful at it!

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 28, 2024

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
That guy gatekeeping Gaichu about his armor is just :discourse:

One of my favorite little bits of this game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Psion posted:

I did always figure it was a reference to something but I didn't know what, that's cool.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

habeasdorkus posted:

That guy gatekeeping Gaichu about his armor is just :discourse:

One of my favorite little bits of this game.

Any time "the party goes to a con and gets critiqued on their costume" is a bit it's always gold, especially when it's some minor detail like "your tattoo is on the wrong side" and they get super pissed off about it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I have to love the way you can just enthusiastically tell everyone at the convention that you punched that guy. Taz is just so proud of herself.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
Yes! An update! that makes my day.

I half expected some more knocking out opportunities covered by the fact most convention goers are antisocial and try to avoid making any noise. And if you come across a hurdle you have to convince:

[Charisma 5] [One person knocked out] I just knocked out that one guy, you sure you wanna stand in my way?
[Charisma 4] [Two persons knocked out] Never two without a third, I'd advice you to move from the spot in the next few seconds.
[Charisma 3] [Three persons knocked out] For your own cranial health. Leave.
[Strength 5] Knock him out too while you're at it.

Expectations aside, if we're to play mission control and lead Isobel through her mission, I expect antisocial hijinks to happen naturally.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

FoolyCharged posted:

I have to love the way you can just enthusiastically tell everyone at the convention that you punched that guy. Taz is just so proud of herself.

When your skillset is Punches Real Good, and you got to punch a guy Real Good, that seems justifiable.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

FoolyCharged posted:

I love how everyone you say it to is like, hell yeah you did!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I appreciate the Shadowrunner Etiquette on display. Would you just start duking it out right then and there if you discovered that you had opposing goals?

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

Kith posted:

I appreciate the Shadowrunner Etiquette on display. Would you just start duking it out right then and there if you discovered that you had opposing goals?

I imagine you get a few seconds of standing with your hands on your hips, breathing out real hard like a farmer who just lost his crops, and saying "Sucks" before deciding if this is going to be a 'come to an agreement' thing or a 'punch real good again'.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Given that our mission is just roughing a guy up, if this guy had been security, I doubt we'd have gotten too handsy. There's no sense in hurting each other over a trivial run we aren't even getting paid for.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Kanfy posted:

(Corporate) Richard Villiers is one of the savviest businessmen in the world. If you think that Fuchi is failing, it's because he wants you to.

This is not only usually correct, it's an actual corporate strategy in universe colloquially known as "the Villiers Maneuver". The second step is to introduce a new product that fixes all of those failures that have built up.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Villiers is a very fun character because, in a setting of evil wizards, murderous otherworldly spirits, megalomaniac AIs, brutal augmented fascists, and literal dragons, he's sincerely just A Really lovely Finance Dude. And he's super successful at it!

He is literally just Steve Jobs in Shadowrun.

Kith posted:

Well first you try to work out if it's possible for you to both to get paid anyway, then you think real hard about how willing you are to get shot at by someone that probably actually knows what they're doing instead of con security, and then you go from there.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 30, 2024

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Stroth posted:

This is not only usually correct, it's an actual corporate strategy in universe colloquially known as "the Villiers Maneuver". The second step is to introduce a new product that fixes all of those failures that have built up.

He is literally just Steve Jobs in Shadowrun.

Is that accurate down to the lack of personal hygiene and refusing to acknowledge he might be mistaken literally at the price of his own health?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023

By popular demand posted:

Is that accurate down to the lack of personal hygiene and refusing to acknowledge he might be mistaken literally at the price of his own health?

In his defense, this being shadowrun, lack of hygiene might give him actual supernatural powers where health is concerned. I mean, look at Gobbet.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

And does he aggressively wield his body odor against underlings? I'm sure there's some fitting patron spirit for these qualities.
Maybe a skunk spirit, they're vicious and smelly and have very poor eyesight so they don't see approaching cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

God, this mission is great :allears: A real authentic convention vibe with all the bonus comedy of bringing the absolute monsters we got as party members for the ride.