Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, Carter was great for all five minutes she was alive. The fact that I even remembered she existed when this LP started despite not having touched this game since my initial playthrough at release attests to that.

Even after Dragonfall, I didn't expect her immediately getting the "Monika Special". I think the ambush as a whole was pretty well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Huh. I'd never have guessed, considering how backer characters often stick out like a sore thumb.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Servetus posted:

What are those little wing things on the back of his shoulder blades supposed to be? There was an armor in Dragonfall that looked like that and I could never figure out what those were.

Cool.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Stroth posted:

I still had to take a moment to process what the gently caress had just happened when the game suddenly exploded three people's heads just as the tension was starting to wind down.

Same. Only way they could've made it more WTF was by offing your PC and having you create a new one trying to track down the killers. Make it so story-wise they're twins since 95% of people would create the exact same character.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Being cool means more Edge; you can use that Edge to reroll your self-stab armor roll chummer.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

sincx posted:

Noticeable lack of armored Unimogs, water cannons, and PLA backup from the in-game HKPF. 4/10 for accuracy.

Great start to the LP, I'm loving it!

Yeah, we're probably going to get into some Lore at some point in this thread, but for now lets just say that PLA backup is rather unlikely given the state of China in SR. You're more likely to see the HKPF backed by Imperial Japanese Navy Marines than the PLA.

And I think we're past the water cannon stage on the escalation chart right now, what with the bad cases of sudden head explosion syndrome we've seen.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the hong kong police force: brought to you by mitsuhama corp!

(actually, in this game)

Probably still more professional than Lone Star.

Just don't set foot into one of their precincts because you're probably gonna have to face 4 turrets, 6 laser barriers and 3 basilisks named Billy before you can make it to the front desk to make your deposition.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

wiegieman posted:

Even if you bleed all over an Aztechnology facility they can still only use it for a few hours.

Maybe, but it's not something I'm interested in verifying.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I've always found that particular loophole for casting spells from a distance to be pretty funny.

Somewhere some megacorp has a system of orbiting mirrors and complex optics and a team of mages that can cast spells anywhere in the world at any time. Probably Ares, they're one of the big space players and blowing things up is their thing.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

kaosdrachen posted:

The reason that's not a major concern is because casting through binoculars is really drat hard. It's been ages since I checked the rules and I'm mostly a 3E guy anyway, but it's like trying to thread a needle using a 50-yard-long set of pliers.

If you have no better options, sure, it's possible, but in terms of efficiency, forget it.

Well that's why you have very big space mirrors and very big lenses. Movie theater sized lens for your mages to peer through. It's one of those cool-sounding, utterly impractical and complex thing you throw piles and piles of cash into to get sorta working then never actually use because it's secret and you don't want to reveal its existence until it's absolutely necessary. As I said, perfect for Ares; after all they're the defense contractor-est of the AAAs. Probably named it Project Panopticon or something.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Come on, no sane corp with an army of bean counters is gonna pay a mage to monitor a single "camera" 24/7. There's probably a system of mirrors connected to a motor and a computer somewhere to switch between the various endpoints. That's what you target.

Now whether it's hacking with a decker or with Brick The Troll and his sharpened surfboard, that's up to you.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

paragon1 posted:

Ares isn't going to build the complex space mirror and telescope system because nobody is going to pay for an ultra-expensive system that can be foiled by a loving cloud when you already have GPS and rods from god.

I'm not sure you understand how defense contractors work.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

paragon1 posted:

Ares is more of a service provider than a pure defense contractor really. They don't build big infrastructure to sell to someone else when they can rent it to them instead.

This is besides the point that the UCAS is not a super power with unlimited resources to spend on useless crap that doesn't work. Japan is the super power and the Imperial military deals with failure to deliver a bit more harshly.

The UCAS still has significant power projection capabilities though, don't they? I thought they were one of the only three factions in Shadowrun that fielded nuclear carrier battle groups, the other two being the IJN and S-K.

And really, the Pentagon is still standing in Shadowrun, as far as I know. If there's one tradition I'd expect to have survived since the days of the good ol' US of A, it's that place acting as a black hole for money. What else is the UCAS gonna spend its tax revenue on anyway?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
That moody music track is great and really sets the mood for the whole game. Both the Dragonfall and Hong Kong soundtracks fit their respective games perfectly.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

KataraniSword posted:

No, that's how you become a Fixer.

Yeah. Runners tend to be the ones asking for the favours, not holding a whole portfolio of them. Like our poor bastards in-game right now.

The warrants and enemies, though, yeah runners get those. Also as evidenced by our poor bastards in-game right now.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

"The official snack of the Imperial Japanese Navy!"

...probably.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

SIGSEGV posted:

That's wheat, not compressed sawdust and chocolate colored used industrial grease.

This probably describes a lot of the most commons foods in Shadowrun. Well except the chocolate part; that's replaced with soycolate.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I think there were cases of the IJA deliberately conscripting (or trying to at least) dockworkers, shipyard workers, merchant marine and other people with similar expertise just so the IJN couldn't get them.

And then there was the navy and the army trying as hard as they could to not share any equipment whatsoever, with engineers developing what was, say, basically the exact same plane for the navy and the army not being allowed to talk to each other.

I'm not an expert on the topic though, that's just stuff I remember off the top of my head; it might not actually be true, but lol that it's still plausible.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I'm surprised they weren't infiltrating each other with spies, honestly.

Well, I'm assuming they weren't. That might be an incorrect assumption.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I don't know, I feel like fortresses are more of a Mitsuhama thing.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Come on, it's Tokyo in a cyberpunk setting. It HAS to be called Neo-Tokyo. I think there might be a law on the book about that.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah sure the historical KWC was a horrifying unsanitary crime-ridden sardine can of a fire trap, but it was apparently a good place to get great deals on dental work by less-than-licensed dentists!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Psion posted:

If you want to see some real aeronautical insanity look for videos of planes landing at Kai Tak. You basically flew directly at a mountaintop and then hauled over in a hard right turn; if you had the runway in sight better hope you line up fast so you can put it down, otherwise go around and do it again. Not turning was not an option. And just to make it fun, no overshoots allowed, because then you're in the harbor. And it's a busy airport (peak was ~36 planes taking off or landing per hour) and because it was for a busy city, we're talking big jets, too.

Once you've landed of course, you might want to leave: Well, taking off was basically dodging mountains at 1600 feet, so a real thrill a minute ride in or out of that place.

I always just assumed pilots did a shot of whiskey/vodka then went "welp, time to die" before starting that approach.

Also I think that SFO alternate approach explains that one time I landed there and it felt... wilder than usual.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

I dont know posted:

I don't imagine mugging random strangers was tolerated. Organized crime was the law, and a wealth illicit goods and services were for sale. If someone comes in looking to spend money on drugs, prostitution, gambling, or unlicensed surgery, money you steal from them is money that rightfully belongs to your local triad boss.

Basically, just imagine someone starting poo poo on our new friend Kindly Cheng's turf and how that would go.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I'm legit looking forward to seeing all the stuff I missed in this game when we get to it in this LP. It's been a long time, but I definitely remember a number of reactions both for party members and for other characters that absolutely depend which characters you bring.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Kanfy posted:

For extra style points, Duncan can arrest the disorderly spirit for its ghost crimes. He's really good at his job.

Alright, this is amazing.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

MagusofStars posted:

It just clearly sends the message that holy hell, we might be miles over our head in dealing with Cheng.

True, but it also establishes that if you're useful to her, she will overlook things. She's nothing if not pragmatic. I mean we still don't quite know what's going to happen to Bao, but it's clear that if she wanted him worse-than-dead it would have already happened.

Just don't overestimate how useful you are to her when you... take initiative, so to speak.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Cythereal posted:

And I think in this case, it's in the PC's favor that it's not remotely clear yet what the hell went down or why. I think Chen is electing to move carefully with the PC right now, until such time as she gets a good grasp of precisely what kind of poo poo got dumped into her backyard and who dropped it.

Yeah. For all she knows whoever is after the PC is after them because they know something. And now whoever is after them might think that Chen now knows something too. And it's clear that whoever is after the PC can, at the very least, make the HKPF into their own personal hit squad which is rather worrying for her. She wasn't kidding in one of the previous updates when she said that Gobbet and Is0bel had just dropped a huge pile of flaming dogshit on her doorstep (or however she phrased it).

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

wiegieman posted:

As a side note, we know that we're not facing one of the big 10 because they have their own people for this kind of operation. The Hong Kong cops exist to muscle for the local A and AA corps (who in turn exist to act as cutouts and bagmen for the big players, no matter what they think of themselves) but they can't hold a candle to the likes of Firewatch or the Red Samurai. If those guys were involved, we'd be dead already.

Eh, I dunno. You don't send your corp special forces to deal with a bunch of nobodies. I mean, the part about us being dead if that were the case is absolutely true, but making a call to the local SWAT team is a lot easier and a lot more discreet.

A Firewatch or Red Samurai team is a precious resource and they already have a busy schedule dealing with things that actually matter like insect spirit nests or assaults on multi-billion dollar research facilities by soon-to-be-dead runners.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Do not eat the honey!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

paragon1 posted:

Hey now, all blood sacrifices are 100% voluntary and willing!

*scoots book titled How To Coerce and Mind Control People under bed*

Or they're prisoners which, y'know, aren't actually people.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

paragon1 posted:

That's for secret R&D and destroying your enemies. The public religious stuff is separate.

I meant actual SIN-having officially criminals sort of prisoners, not the SINless failed runners kind of prisoners.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
For stuff like we saw in Dragonfall sure. But for a big public spectacle like those in Aztlan? You want some notorious murderer or corrupt official or anyone else who'll get the crowd cheering as a Sun Priest rips their still-beating heart out of their chest.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Well it IS in your contract.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Most likely fighting vampires since if there's one thing the Azzies love it's vampires.

Could probably make a good anime out of that.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Revengeance comes first.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
And go where?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Quackles posted:

Somewhere that's not Hong Kong.

Right, so somewhere where we don't even have a local crime lord with whom we've at least established we can follow basic orders.

I don't know what your plan is, but moving far away and getting a job at the corner Stuffer Shack isn't exactly an option when you're an international terrorist.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I think it's pretty clear that the devs didn't want to have Is0bel be "mandatory combat deadweight" for anyone who isn't a decker themselves (and doesn't want to be locked out of many things).

I think they did a pretty decent job since even when playing as a decker I still brought her along pretty much all the time. And she's a good decker too to the point my character ended up part time decker later, going for rifles and cyberware combat instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can't be, she didn't offer us any soup.

That may very well be for the best. You'd probably have to burn a point of Body or Essence or something.