Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Soylent Pudding posted:

The street name also works if she's actually an Aussie immigrant to HK. On that note, if it's not gonna spoil the game, what are things like in 6th world Australia and the rest of Southeast Asia?

I mentioned things about the Kingdom of the Naga around Angkor Wat last thread, so you can search that up, but that’s a decade or so into the future of this game. Aus/NZ has been covered, and there’s not much more info on SEA that wouldn’t link to this game except the Philippines, which the Japanese Imperial State made into one of it’s provinces (and exiled all of their nonhuman metas onto to an island in the archipelago soon renamed Yomi Island with a minimum of supplies, no civil order except what the refugees could string together, and a marine border fastidiously guarded by the Imperial Navy and Marines) when they decided to flex their muscles again and only recently regained independence with the backing of the Great Dragon Masaru and his Huk rebels following the Ring of Fire exploding and killing the reigning Emperor and ushering a young kid reformer onto the throne.

India is pretty outside the scope of your question and not much has been written about it except it was absolutely devastated by VITAS; Vietnam is still around and participates in the Pacific Prosperity Pact as a hedge against aggression from the Japanocorps; and I don’t think much about Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, or Singapore (the latter of which surprises me greatly) has been written about in any of the fluff books.

As for this game, it was the only one I backed on Kickstarter because I didn’t have the money available to back Returns when that campaign was happening. I love the writing of Hong Kong, as well as the atmosphere. Ground floor, get hype!

For characters, I’m probably gonna join the :bandwagon: and go with a physical adept, and dwarf sounds good. Not wedded to gender or name though, but something Chinese sounding for the actual name might be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its the best instant ramen thats ramen, not laksa

I happen to think local HK brand 出前一丁 (also relevant to the setting locale) is better, but assuming either survived to the Sixth World, they’d probably be part of some Japanocorp’s instant food subsidiary (the local HK brand doubly so since they’re already owned by Nissin, which is a Japanese company and likely part of one Japanocorp or another).

But yeah, count me on the Shin Black :bandwagon:. Let’s go with a Male Troll.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 11, 2021

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

RIP Gutshot. Died living up to his name.
I think the big troll was Nightjar, but Gutshot might’ve been the Elf lady?

Also, RIP Carter, we hardly knew her.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

The UCAS still has significant power projection capabilities though, don't they? I thought they were one of the only three factions in Shadowrun that fielded nuclear carrier battle groups, the other two being the IJN and S-K.

And really, the Pentagon is still standing in Shadowrun, as far as I know. If there's one tradition I'd expect to have survived since the days of the good ol' US of A, it's that place acting as a black hole for money. What else is the UCAS gonna spend its tax revenue on anyway?

I think the CAS (aka the South that rose again) also has significant power projection in the form of nuclear aircraft carrier battle groups (or at least a battle group, singular).

And the UCAS probably spends a lot of it’s military budget paying Ares Arms and other subsidiaries for equipment, at least before Detroit happened.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Red Lobster. It has been rebranded as the Cheddar Bay Fortress.

Shitposts aside, chances are if it's related to Tokyo Bay, it is 900% Renraku-owned since their headquarters are literally right there in Chiba.

Didn’t that area get wrecked when the Ring of Fire blew it’s top? Wait, no; that was Yokohama. And now the Greater Tokyo Metropolitan Area has all been folded into Neo-Tokyo (I figured they’d call it either Shin-Tokyo for the Japanese or Tokyo 2 for the Eva reference, but I guess the Shadowrun writers are rather uncreative on that point).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I always brought Is0bel and I’m sticking by that choice.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Alacron posted:

These look like paintings to me. I know they're real, but my brain almost refuses to acknowledge them as real.

My aunt (that I live with) and uncle grew up in the shadows of the actual Kowloon Walled City in (I think) Mong Kok with my great grandmother in the 50s and 60s. I’d ask her for stories of the place, but she was warned to avoid the area, and for very good reason.

Stroth posted:

Assuming you came in perfectly it was a 47° turn done at below six hundred feet. Which you had to do by eye because standard aircraft instrumentation will absolutely not handle a turn like that.

Yeah, there’s a couple of reasons why the current HK International Airport is on an outlying island, and this is one of them.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Aside from being regionally appropriate, recent streamers have taught me that mahjong is incredibly appropriate for someone like Kindly Cheng to play, because you do NOT get good at it by making unfavorable gambles. poo poo’s like the surreal love child of chess and poker.

Mahjong, relatively easy to learn once you understand hands and the tiles (assuming you don’t use the frou-frou wytpipo tile sets that a gaggle of white women tried to market a couple months back and got justifiably roasted online for), really loving hard to master. And that’s before you learn HK/Cantonese rules vs riichi/Japanese rules. Gotta get better than just trying for chicken hands...

Kobal2 posted:

The HKPF is already mostly a corporate hit squad rather than a police department. I mean sure, they also do regular policing stuff on the side, but they're really the armed fist of the HK government, which itself is literally a corporate board of directors. Sure, corpos being kind of sort of the de facto rulers is true more or less everywhere in the Sixth World but in HK they dropped the pretence entirely. It's a libertarian wetdream, which might explain the existence of the mother of all slums teehee.

wiegieman posted:

The HKPD answers to the highest bidder. They have no loyalty to anyone except kicking the poo poo out of whoever the FEZ council wants hurt and/or dead.
The Western Hemisphere equivalent is probably NYPD, Inc and the Manhattan Development Council after they bought the island of Manhattan from the federal government following the quake of 2005, but even then, NYPD, Inc is a AA mega in and of itself and has it’s own interests (even more so than they have right now as an extant organization, and as a current civilian employee, I would know). The HKPF answers only to the FEZ Council, and they are ruthless even taking the standards of most corporate security forces, and well armed to boot because of their funding from those megas on the Council.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, I stopped keeping up with the SR crunch around 5th Ed and focused mostly on the fluff, the last proper character I built was a 4th Ed one. From what I heard, the rules at the end of 4th was where things started to go majorly downhill (the FATAL and Friends thread post mentioned the sourcebook WAR! at the end of 4th covering the Aztlan-Amazonia War, and that was agreed to be pretty much poo poo). The rules are badly written and the books definitely needed multiple more editing passes...

I met some of the devs of SR (and BT) at PAX East 2015, and they seemed cool, but in over their heads. And yeah, (IIRC) Blaine Pardoe being one of the head devs/execs of Catalyst and spending money meant to pay freelancers on home renovations and the like. I think he’s still there?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 11, 2021

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Don't mess with the Vatican Jesuit Ninja Force. When they say they have the power of god on their side, their shaman isn't just talking poo poo.

You’ve got to know the Vatican Archives have all sorts of mystical stuff that they give to the Order of St. Sylvester when they need to get some poo poo done, especially deep into Aztlaner territory, occupied or otherwise.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Even if I think Raymond is still alive, someone’s gotta pay.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Racter is definitely my favorite character in this. The guy's just so gosh darn affable for a murderous rigger who we know skipped town on at least one team

Racter is probably my second favorite after a character we’ve yet to meet. Juggling party slots in this game was definitely harder than in Dragonfall. And yeah, decker plus grenade launcher practically made Is0bel a permanent member of the party for me and Duncan can get pretty nutty with later upgrades.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Good to see the classic HK East Meets West dish of elbow macaroni in soup with ham still exists, albeit altered because people in the slums can only afford soy and mycoprotein nowadays.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Correct! I forget the exact dates involved, but goblinization probably started happening well before Gobbet was born. (Though the mental image of Gobbet being a normal human baby who got named after meat and then goblinized is loving hilarious.)

I believe Goblinization started in the late 2010s? I think the first cases were in 2019.

But yeah, UGE (unexplained genetic expression) started happening around 2012 when the mana cycles changed and the Sixth World began, and babies started being born as Elves and Dwarves. There were also “Spike Babies” who were born as Elves before the official changeover to the Sixth World due to a sudden spike in mana or something like that.

Also, I forget if orks being born in litters is still a thing in SR canon.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Magni posted:

Laughing Man is Harlequin's username on Shadowlands. And let's face it, he absolutely is the kind of guy who would somehow get Poetry Slams forever banned just for a lark. :allears:

I wouldn’t be surprised. Harlequin is incredibly dickish even by the standards of Immoral Elves, which is pretty drat high, as we saw a bit of in the first game.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Maybe a typo, maybe a joke, but funny either way.

loving autocorrect, but it still works.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

They run the Tir nations like they own the place, and they do (with the addition of another few assholes like the big worm), and the population hates the gently caress out of them, the IRA, not-elves and elves alike, has restarted activity to kick them out.

I'm pretty sure there's got to be some decent ones but they are apparently possessed of the power of not really being powerful assholes.

At least Tir Tairngire managed to have a revolution in the late 60s that kicked most of the Immortal Elf Princes out of the country and broke their stranglehold on power, overturning their magical “meritocracy” and putting an elected Dwarf former member of the Council of Princes in charge. Sure, the Great Dragon Hestaby and a bunch of other powerful movers and shakers (like James Telestrian from the first game) still sit on the council, but they’re now elected, and the average denizen of the Tir (at least those with a SIN) has somewhat more of a say in what goes on in Cara’Sir (aka Portland before it was renamed) even if they weren’t born with king poo poo magic.

In Tir na Nog neither the Unionists or the Republicans are happy with the loving magical Immortal Elves lording over them, but the UK is in no position to push it’s claims (what with the Lord Protector, who all but runs the government and Parliament for Queen Charlotte, being in the pocket/one of the primary movers and shakers of the New Druidic Movement who have rewilded a lot of Great Britain except the major cities which are still the typical cyberpunk hellholes, especially the London sprawl), so it’s up to the IRA and the Knights of the Red Branch (mostly human group funded by UCAS Irish expats, including the Irish mob, classed as a terrorist Human supremacist organization) to try and push back against the country run by the European Immortal Elves.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 12, 2021

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

In that case I'm kinda curious at to what Shadowrun Southeast Asia is like, if there even is any lore written about it.

I had a write up on the Kingdom of the Naga over by Angkor Wat last thread. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s much more mention of the region that doesn’t touch on Japan. Very surprised Singapore hasn’t had more lore stuff written about it, since I would think it would make a perfect locale for cyberpunk shenanigans.

There’s some Vietnam stuff with their local AA megacorp consolidating most government services and manufacturing in the region, and it’s involvement in the Pacific Prosperity Group via the Malaysian Investment Bank (a Matrix only banking front of Wuxing) as way to hold the Japanocorps out of totally dominating the region. Probably a bunch more stuff I’m forgetting.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Servetus posted:

I just say "Aitch Em Aitch Vee Vee"

Easier than “Human-Metahuman Vampiric Virus”. I guess the line devs were out of snappy acronyms to come up with at the time that they could use.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

every hk district mentioned is real w the exception of heoi itself. aberdeen is the hk district not the australian city

Aberdeen also happens to be the future location of Wuxing’s corporate HQ, placed on the top of a nexus of Dragon Lines on the far side of Hong Kong Island across HK Harbor from where Heoi is in the middle of the Kowloon peninsula. But they’re probably just a AA at this time, just heavily invested in maritime shipping and magical research. There’s a bunch of magical emanations in the neighborhood because of their HQ being located there too.

That housing area and other things in that area is named after an English reading of a neighborhood in Guangzhou (aka Canton) up the Pearl River, currently rendered as Huangpu.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 17, 2021

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

achtungnight posted:

I recognize Aberdeen as a district of Hong Kong also featured in the game Sleeping Dogs. Wanchai Market is a common area of Hong Kong referenced in that game and another- Deus Ex. Hong Kong has a very different geographic layout in both those games and this one, so we can’t yet be sure what other common areas will pop up. Any that do, or any references from one game to another, are quite welcome in my opinion.

Here are the districts of Hong Kong I remember from those games-

Sleeping Dogs- North Point, Central (Downtown), Aberdeen, Kennedy Town, Victoria Peak.

Deus Ex- Wanchai Market (I thought this was explicitly referenced in Sleeping Dogs, but looking back I don’t think it was named as such), Canals, Tonnochi Road.

So, Sleeping Dogs did terrible, terrible things to HK’s geography to make it more of a video game map. All those in game neighborhoods you mentioned exist and are located on Hong Kong Island proper, some of them separated by the fact that Hong Kong island is mountainous as gently caress and you need to traverse some tunnels or seaside arterial roads to get between them. Wan Chai is another affluent high rise commercial and residential area (IRL location of the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center) on the North Shore of Hong Kong Island adjacent to the central business districts of Central and Admiralty (where the IRL HK government complex is, and again full of high rises) to the West and Causeway Bay to the East. Further to the East on Hong Kong Island along the North Shore is where North Point is.

For HK geography, there are 3 main parts of the territory to keep in mind: Hong Kong Island, which is capped by Victoria Peak and with the main commercial districts along the North Shore of the island, facing Victoria Harbour and the Kowloon Peninsula (where even in Shadowrun, the main commercial focus of the megacorps are and where the Executive Board of the Free Enterprise Zone meet), plus smaller communities on the southern shore of the island facing the Pacific (where Aberdeen and Kennedy Town are, amongst other neighborhoods); the Kowloon Peninsula, where Heoi and the Kowloon Walled City (duh), plus the former Kai Tak Airport (now an open smugglers’ haven and where we first got to HK in this game) are located, and where the Whampoa we’ll be visiting is further down said peninsula; and the New Territories, which were what the British leased for 99 years from the Chinese following the Opium Wars, in part for defensive depth and fresh food and water supplies to their new settlement, most of which is former farmland and outlying villages now heavily urbanized, especially in Shadowrun, and are located to the north of Kowloon Peninsula and connect Kowloon to the Chinese mainland. The New Territories also includes a number of outlying islands, most prominently Lantau Island, which is west of Hong Kong Island, and the IRL location of the current Hong Kong International Airport, the famed Giant Buddha statue, and HK Disneyland.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Negative_Earth posted:

If Kanfy's cool with it, I can post the map that was provided to Kickstarter backers. It's got some names of places we haven't learned of yet, so that may be a touch spoilery.

I had that same map since I backed it as well, but damned if I remember where on my old hard drive it is.

And yeah, :justpost:. It’s all IRL locations (or just about, accounting for some fudging for gameplay reasons and lore fuckery, plus devs based in Seattle/wherever FASA was based (Chicago?) and freelancers not knowing the nuances of HK geography and not bothering to look it up on a map, since I guess easy resources such as Google Maps didn’t exist at the time they wrote it).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Backed it, played it, beat everything but the bonus campaign, and here to loredump when necessary.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 25, 2021

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Maybe it's an underpass to the station.

Or maybe they just moved the station underground in the intervening decades? I think HK doesn’t have a station map like Dragonfall did with the U-bahn.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Not moved underground, but built over. The concrete just keeps going up and up, forever.

:hmmyes:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I remember the identity of the killer(s) but nothing about the motives or methods.

:same:

Kobal2 posted:

Dig deeper. It's 2150 (or whatever), nobody gives a poo poo about land rights any more, that's not where any kind of real money is in. Plus the killer doesn't just True Crime his way through the Whampoa one spine at a time - he's murdering Elders exclusively. What do Elders got ?

(smartassery aside, my grandpa always told me to "always invest in land, they don't make any more of it"... but it's really not the case in the world of SR is it ?)

You’re off by just about a century, it’s still the early 2050s in this game, since Dunkelzhan has yet to become UCAS president.

Land is still valuable to corporate interests in Shadowrun, provided that it’s cost effective for them to secure it. Seeing as how HK is already a Free Enterprise Zone full of corporate enclaves where they can claim extraterritoriality, looking to move in on another slum doesn’t really make sense. HK Island itself is the more valuable real estate, Kowloon is always more of the neglected part, though parts of the New Territories even more so.

Western Kowloon (especially the top of the peninsula facing Victoria Harbour (the Tsim Tsa Tsui district of Yau Tsim Mong on the map especially, that’s where the HK Walk of (Movie) Stars and the HK Space Museum is IRL, plus any number of high end boutiques and hotels and the Star Ferry Terminal) is more valuable than the eastern part, though I guess the area around Whampoa Gardens is nice enough nowadays.

Then again, as I said before, corporate interests would much rather build up rather than out, the more ostentatious (and conducive to the local feng shui, especially here in HK), the better. And yeah, land reclamation from the ocean and arcology construction means that land isn’t too much of a big deal, if you have the nuyen (but what else is new?).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

In particular, the HBS games seem to equate an addiction to Better Than Life simsense/BTLs to something like meth, both in the longstanding health effects and the unpredictable nature of the addicts. Remember Simmy in Dragonfall, or the cafe we liberated Coyote's brother from in Dead Man's Switch? Yeah.

I assume a rig cooking up BTLs would be a lot less likely to explode than a meth lab, though.

Also, HK is known for a variety of cheap, mass produced BTLs colloquially known as Kong Chips. There are also CalHots, which are BTLs tuned up to incredibly powerful stimuli, produced in CalFree.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Alacron posted:

Come to think of it, Eiger's personal mission in Dragonfall had something similar right? The target there was some super hard War Crimes For Hire type who turned to goo when you threatened his special chip. Like the next level up from CalHots maybe?

That was “the Engineer”, a merc and advance operative for some Russian Mafia syndicate or another. And yeah, he had some kind of high performance BTL supplied by Magical Doomsday anti-tech cult Winternight.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

He's talking like a Technomancer, but AFAIK they don't exist yet. He's probably doing conventional tech/decking and talking about it in mystic terms.

Yeah, Technos/Otaku (what they used to be called in 3rd Edition) didn’t start popping up regularly until around the time Deus took over the Renraku Arcology in Seattle in the early 2060s. We’re still in 2nd Edition during this time frame.

Reading her description and mystical trappings made me think early Technomancer, but true virtualkinetics weren’t really a thing until the wireless Matrix following the Second Matrix Crash involving Deus and Winternight in the leadup to 4th, and then the Corps started fearmongering about them when they crashed Geneva’s Matrix infrastructure, to the point where Mitsuhama had an open bounty for their capture alive so they could vivisect them to see what made them able to do what they could do.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 27, 2021

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

kaosdrachen posted:

They gently caress you up in entirely different ways, starting at 'increased tendency toward epileptic seizures' and getting worse from there...

Especially if you go whole hog and replace your nervous system with a Move by Wire system instead to take full advantage of those skillsofts.

And yeah, general nootropics and cognitive booster cyber/BioWare are pretty standard amongst higher end corporate types. After all, they can afford it, and the attendant medical care, and as we saw in the Black Lodge intro mission in Dragonfall, anything to stay ahead in the rat race and gain an edge, eh?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

they got normal drugs, they got new exciting drugs like novacoke, they got fuckin magic drugs like tempo (altho tempo is late 2060s early 2070s)

For those who don’t know, Tempo is just awakened tree sap that wanted to propagate and as an effect gave unawakened people the ability to see into the Astral plus a heavy dose of euphoria (and also showed them what they wanted to see there), that got magically experimented on and became the stereotypical BAD (Bioengineered Awakened Drug, SR loves it’s TLAs that spell out stuff ironically) and now is clandestinely produced and distributed by Aztechnology because DRUG CARTEL. The inventor of Tempo used to run a AA Corp that eventually got it’s extraterritoriality revoked by the Corp Court because it was making too big of a global gang war and smuggling problem, before the Azzies stepped in (I guess they wanted to make an example in their proverbial back yard). Big plot point in 4th Edition, and a side hustle to the greater Aztlan-Amazonia War, since said trees were located in South America because of course they were.

And yeah, Novacoke is definitely a thing. Weed is pretty much legal though, and they got bleeding edge new even more addictive opioids with the new medical tech they’ve been doing in the intervening decades. Kamikaze is basically ultrameth combined with PCP.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 27, 2021

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

By popular demand posted:

I had to look that up and

So yeah, definitely only use when your death is almost assured.

There’s an equipment package in 5th Edition’s Run Faster sourcebook (it’s the base rules supplement) called the Instant Army PACK that has injectors of K-10 and cheap assault rifles, for when you just want to round up some gangers, give them guns, shoot them up with combat drugs, and then send them at their enemies.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I’d say Street Monk, but no shoes is an outfit killer for me. SecureTech it is.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Wow, I don't remember pretty much any of this. I mean, it's the start of the game, but still. Feels like the missions here are just not as memorable as Dragonfall.

I remember the general framework and outcome of this mission, just not the finer details.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

paragon1 posted:

There's a whole rear end country of ghouls with their own complex politics and society, so common enough.

In the middle of deepest, darkest Africa, because of course it is. And it’s a matriarchy (or at least ruled by a line of queens, whose daughters ritually consume the heart of their mothers when they take the throne).

I think in one of the setting books in the lead up to 5th, it was stated that the percentage of sapient ghouls living there was grossly overstated and the attempts of Asamando’s royals to keep the numbers up weren’t working out that well, as revealed when latest UN inspection team trying to establish official relations or something like that were treated to their “hospitality”.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Japan also had to deal with a huge wave of earthquakes and volcanoes going off in 2061, which, among a whole bunch of other things, happened to kill the Emperor and his family. That forced them to pull back from previous imperial conquests

Yeah, the current Emperor apparently had a half brother who Goblinized and was sent to Yomi Island (the aforementioned island concentration camp in the Philippines who used to be an Imperial territory and only just won their independence back after the Ring of Fire and the backing of the Sixth World’s youngest Great Dragon, Masaru, and his Huk independence movement), who now serves as his very menacing bodyguard, much to the consternation of the traditionalists in the Imperial Household Agency, and because of this, one of his first acts as Emperor was to repeal the Yomi Island decree which banished all of the empire’s non-humans there.

Also, his wife is the daughter of the chairman of Shiawase, but also used to be a decker of some repute and is a lot less accommodating to the megacorp than she was expected to be. But yes, the Japanocorps (the AAAs and the AAs, like Sony, which still exists) are supposed to be cooperating outside of Japan to project a united front after the Ring of Fire, at the insistence of the new Emperor.

Oh, and Japan’s Imperial territories included San Francisco and the greater Silicon Valley area, and a lot of outposts (to protect their nuclear generating stations providing power to the countries said territories were based in) on the Pacific Rim of South America, which was handy (for the Japanese megacorps) when Peru was found to have Orichalcum after Halley’s Comet passed by in 2064.

But yeah, the average Japanese salaryman sees himself as a corporate warrior bringing the light of the Japanocorps to the benighted rest of the world, one office shift after the other, because it’s all they know. Some might even take it further and buy a corporate branded katana (legal to own in the JIS!) as part of the latest fashion trend, and actually spend some time practicing with it at a corporate dojo or download a skillsoft, just to show their pride in the country. They’re the best in the world, and they have to show the gaijin in the rest of the world and the dirty non-humans it every single day.

habeasdorkus posted:

You've basically got it. Japan's home to three of the ten AAA corporations that sit on the Corporate Court in Renraku, Shiawase, and Mitsuhama. They had five AAAs at one point, but Yamatetsu decamped to Russia and changed their name to Evo while Fuchi got wrecked by corporate infighting. By way of comparison, Europe has Saeder-Krupp, China has Wuxing, the Americas have Ares, NeoNET, Aztechnology, and Horizon. When Yamatetsu was coming up, the non-Japan corps supported its bid for a AAA status just to break the control of the other Japanese megas.

Notably, Evo was half Japanese, half Filipino, and neither side really got along with the other, leading to constant infighting, but they still managed to snag a Corp Court seat. They moved their HQ to Vladivostok because the Japanese side all but revolted when the CEO’s son took over with the backing of the free spirit Buttercup, who currently advises the new Japanese Emperor. Said CEO’s son was an Ork and had been left for dead by his dad, and when he showed up to a board meeting with Buttercup’s newly purchased significant minority of shares backing him for CEO, dad had a heart attack, IIRC.

Also, Wuxing probably cannot be said to represent China, since there is no China at the moment as it Balkanized early in the Sixth World after Lung waking up buried much of their nuclear stockpile, and then the Southern Chinese provinces as the Canton Confederation decided it was better to go it alone and join the rest of the world in going hyper capitalist. We’ll see some of that in this game in the background, but Wuxing (at this point in the timeline, they might not even count yet as a AAA) more represents the HK Free Enterprise Zone itself.

Also, lol the UCAS has no megacorps anymore as of the current lore due to the Ares fuckup leading to Bug City 2.0 in Detroit, on top of NeoNET’s CFD Virus and subsequent lockdown wrecking Boston at the end of the previous edition as well.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 25, 2021

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

That's also in modern Shadowrun, which is (to my awareness) at least fifty to a hundred years after these games.
SR 6th Ed is currently in the 2080s, so it’s only at most 30 years after these games.

quote:

"fuckup".

Naturally, a prominent conspiracy theory is that the Bugs were in Ares all along.

I wouldn’t doubt it, there were hints going back to the end of 4th Ed. Probably not from the beginning, but maybe shortly after Bug City in Chicago and the Cermak Blast. Those who fight monsters and all that.

It was clear the devs had no idea what to do with Ares that didn’t involve Bug City 2.0.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Loxbourne posted:

Wasn't this one of the little surprises hidden in Big D's will?

I think the only thing concerning Buttercup in Dunklezahn’s will was a comic book collection, because Big D knew she preferred manga and wanted her to have an appreciation of the art form. Buttercup could afford to purchase the Yamatetsu shares herself because she has a particularly powerful Wealth generation power as a spirit, she literally shits out rare magical reagents that she can sell for the nuyen.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Best party member GET!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

MagusofStars posted:

How is the disease that makes people ghouls transmitted? Is it airborne so Taz and the crew are at risk from our new ghoul bro? Or is it something like you get it from being bitten by a ghoul which hopefully Gaichu is going to stay well fed enough to avoid?

Bodily fluid contact. A ghoul needs to bite or scratch you in order to transmit HMHVV.

Mentioned this before, but there’s a Ghoul nation in the middle of Deepest, Darkest Africa. Run by a Queen because why the gently caress not. Also, the Organlegging syndicate Tanamous exists to supply ghouls with fresh metahuman flesh to quench their hunger and make sure they don’t turn feral.

Dunkelzahn’s Will includes a huge nuyen reward if anyone is able to come up with a viable vat grown solution to the ghoul feeding problem. No one has as of yet been able to collect.