Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

My God, you're actually doing it. Godspeed, Kanfy. Let's do this thing.

KataraniSword posted:

Let's go with a female Dwarf adept, of any given real name you wish, but with a street name of Taz, because things are about to get Looney Tunes in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So many of these portraits scream "Backer cameo" (I peeked in the Kickstarter campaign and there were 132 people who backed the "get your player portrait in the game" tier or above).

Fourth in this row if Female Troll.

Third in this row if Male Troll.

Last in this row if Female Dwarf.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

I think these are all troll portraits and I can't remember if you can mix and match with the metaraces.

:doh:

This is what happens when I don't have my morning coffee.

First in this row if Female Dwarf.

EDIT: If anyone owns the game and is curious to see which portraits are backer created/comissioned, the file names for each contains the backer's real name. Spoilers of course.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Actually, never mind, I am changing my vote to Female Troll

Last portrait.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 9, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Swapping my vote to this portrait, along with Ling Black as the name.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm inspired to try a Physical Adept in this game now (I never finished it). Anyone have starting build suggestions? You can PM me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

bewilderment posted:

I'm voting for Male Troll, and I'd like to note that while I'm voting for Troll, this portrait should have been up for voting regardless.

You can pretend the bandanna is covering up some horns.

Unsurprisingly this is a backer portrait. So let's take a brief moment to give proper credit to Bandit Keith "Liam Allman" for this blessing.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kanfy posted:

I'm excited to see if she can actually survive through the opening without our first game over. I don't think we literally ever had one in Dragonfall, but a late-bloomer Adept with paper starting armor in a world of AP-unshackled enemies where even a guy with the crappiest shotgun in the game can pump out 20+ damage a turn her way is gonna have a fun time before she starts having much hope of living up to her street name.

I did wonder why I kept getting killed in the first few fights and always assumed I had somehow screwed up my build.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this will not be within an order of magnitude of the most WTF name in the game. seriously go read that atlantic article I linked about hong konger names

The Atlantic posted:

Odd names make for odder situations. Last July, police arrested a woman named Ice Wong with 460 grams of ice -- the drug, not frozen water.

brb, restarting my game.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Wow, I never knew about spell bounce! I need to try it next ti...

paragon1 posted:

That spell bounce is a real rude surprise if you don't realize it can do friendly fire.

Never mind.

EDIT:

Kanfy posted:

See you next time, where we'll no doubt reunite with our foster father without incident and our trio of two cops and a civilian will continue to have absolutely nothing to do with shadowrunning in Hong Kong in Shadowrun: Hong Kong!

Vanilla Shadowrun Returns only had a single actual shadowrun so it could happen!

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 17, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FH_Meta posted:

What we did was help a friend.

Going with this.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

RIP Gutshot. Died living up to his name.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

I think the big troll was Nightjar, but Gutshot might’ve been the Elf lady?

Also, RIP Carter, we hardly knew her.

No, Gutshot is the murdered elf on the shadowrunner team and a dude. The narration said "two men, two women", and both women are with us now.

re: Carter, she's a backer character, her portrait has the file name backer_elffemale_ericclough.png. Must be one of the higher tiers to get a "speaking part".

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 28, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Huh. I'd never have guessed, considering how backer characters often stick out like a sore thumb.

I will never understand why someone would pay $500+ to put themselves in a cyberpunk/magic videogame and have their character just be them in a suit and/or fedora.

On the flipside, anyone willing to shell out that much (or 1k in the case of the NPC character tier) might be enough of a hardcore roleplayer to want to put in their pet character, which seems to be the case for Carter.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

was shot in the head tho?

The animation shows the blood coming from the mid section. Who are you going to believe, the narrator or your own eyes? :v:

Though I guess technically Gutshot getting shot in the head is its own dramatic irony.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 28, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

For some reason the name “Nightjar” always makes me think of “night-soil”. It made some awkward associations while playing Sekiro, let me tell you.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Sprawl is another natural choice for Shadowrun and there's even a pay-what-you-want homebrew Shadowrun hack for it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kanfy posted:

This is all especially rotten for Duncan. The ex-street rat with no future finally manages to build himself something that could last, but now someone's taking a sledgehammer to the support beams seemingly for no reason and it's all on the verge of collapse again.

Duncan's backstory and character are pretty nicely done but at the same time, it kind of dooms him to be the most boring party member by default. He's the guy who managed to claw himself via both luck and self-determination from the streets and manage to be a "respectable" part of the system only to be cruelly thrown out through no fault of his own... and yet the thing he wants most is to become part of that system again. Despite being in a setting that's all about fighting against the system, despite knowing you cannot win. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely realistic (hell, if I was in the same situation, I'd probably act the same way) but it essentially makes him the equivalent of the one kid in those cartoons featuring a bunch of kids trapped in a fantasy world (i.e. the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon) that is always whining about going home. You feel for him but at some point, you'd wish he'd shut up in favor of the other kids who are embracing having magical powers or whatever much better.

Heck, it would probably have been a better decision if he wasn't a part member and just hung out on base. He could be the one to comment on all your missions and you would have this entire parallel relationship with him along your crew to make the duality all the more meaningful.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 4, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Bring Is0bel. Never go anywhere without a Decker at least.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

(also if we went by the logic of choosing characters because of probable need for a Decker we'd never *not* use Isobel)

That’s my strategy. Feel free to disagree, though.

My team was pretty much static for the time I spent with this game (still need to finish).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

EDIT: Never mind.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Negative_Earth posted:

And here I thought that the airport in Nepal was bad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH0VjKl7tIk

Even Nepal pales in comparison to the nightmare that is Paro, Bhutan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbLHah4XUwk

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Stroth posted:

They do explicitly admit that one trillion is only the official residents of fixed address, and that the real number is at least twice that before you get into the indigent populations living in the undercity.

So that’s who is buying all those death sticks.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Returning to Kindly Cheng after having the Forlorn Spirit kill the triad (the rewards are unchanged regardless of the outcome):

I've heard from Bao. He got my message - very clearly. But he also says there was bloodshed. And I specifically told you to let them live.

[Her button eyes are like tiny lumps of coal.]

I'm disappointed.

We didn't kill your men. It was an angry ghost.

[Kindly Cheng grins a predatory grin.]

Of course, my darlings. Of course. An angry ghost! That explains my dead soldiers!

It's true, Auntie Cheng! A vengeful spirit rose up from a pile of dirty rags! *It* killed Bao's...

[She quickly corrects herself.]

*It* killed your men.

[Cheng tut-tuts.] I expected more of you than this, my sweet Gobbet. Now stop talking before you get yourself in trouble.

As funny as this is, it does make me wonder just how plausible an excuse "A ghost did it!" is in this universe. I mean, sure, ghosts are real and all but you think people would overuse the excuse so much it's now cliché again.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Finally we meet the best character.

Racter :swoon:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rockstar Massacre posted:

leave Gobbet at home because you'll probably be bringing her everywhere after this as an Adept, whereas this coming mission is one of few areas that Duncan's expertiseis, in theory, relevant.

I was going to suggest ditching Duncan but I can't argue with this logic. Leave Gobbet.

In case anyone was wondering, yes, Felicia Day was a backer and Eos is her character.

habeasdorkus posted:

Maximum Law is one of the most annoying, self satisfied, overweening people you know. He's like 20, so that's a big part of it.

The text says Law is in his LATE twenties, though. Guess he's just one of those guys who never grew up.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 17, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Poil posted:

I guess there is a reason why he is alone all the way out here and not in the whaoompa loompa district or whatever they called it with everyone else.

Leave Gobbet... I guess?

Whampoa, which is an actual Hong Kong neighborhood, btw.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Why do people who claim to be the Law always wear face-obscuring headgear? First Judge Dredd, then cowboys with their hats pulled low, now this guy. Geez.

It’s a symptom of Law-Jaw.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

By popular demand posted:

There are definitely some interesting people you meet and have a chat with and then never see again.
Quite a bit more realistic than you'd expect in a crpg.

Because a lot of those people are Kickstarter backers.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I dont know posted:

It's such a fun setting. Shame the actual tabletop rules have been a dumpster fire since the late 80's and have somehow gotten worse.

Again, just run the Shadowrun homebrew hack of The Sprawl and you're good to go.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

By popular demand posted:

BRB Starting a Butthole Surfers/G.G.Allin mashup band.

Called it "Shitwave." It was awful.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

Deepweed sounds like a music genre you listen to while stoned.

It was awful.

(It just doesn't get old)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Almost correct, all portraits in this update are backer portraits except the tailor. I don't think the goals involved anything else about the characters though, so they're not backer-written or anything, as per the dev commentary they felt like Whampoa was a natural fit to include a bunch of 'em.

quote:

Pledge US$ 1,000 or more

>>> ELITE RUNNER
All of the above, PLUS:
* We'll use your image to create a NPC CHARACTER in the game. This won’t be the local fishmonger (unless she’s secretly Renraku or something) - it’ll be someone cool and interesting. Can’t guarantee you’ll remain the same race or species, though...

53 people pledged at this level or above.

Loxbourne posted:

That ex-NYPD guy screams "someone's PC post-game".

I could almost HEAR the pseudo noir voiceover while reading his dialogue.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 21, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Meanwhile, back in Seattle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwpjaXarsDc

...has anyone ever played a Shadowrun campaign as Frasier? Someone MUST have.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Btw, what Racter said about the Vory is true, though I can’t seem to find any sources concerning the lighthouse tattoo. The skull in the square is a thing though.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

bewilderment posted:

I bet he knew what that meat was too.

I guess we now know who Racter's mentor was.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Racter and Gaichu were both stretch goals in the Kickstarter campaign so it makes sense that they are optional.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

the funny thing is, i know a lotta competent technology touchers, i know a lotta transhumanists, and the intersection between them in real life is p small. its a sorta enthused-wired magazine point of view that in my experience can whack peeps ability to deal w mundane problems. even in mad science most of the real problems are pretty mundane

It’s likely because they know the nitty gritty of tech and how far off we are from such grand promises. Same thing with The Singularity.

Ask about the “wonders” of cryptocurrency, OTOH, and you start to get a lot more zealots among those same computer touches because the nitty gritty they don’t know or don’t care about is in economics and environmentalism. The tech itself they look at and think “This is awesome!”

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Racter does seem like the kind of guy intelligent and opportunistic enough to know which way the wind is blowing and bolting right before the poo poo hits the fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Racter is definitely an amazing character but the last person I'd be friends with in real life. And the reasons for that will just keep growing in number as we get to know him better.

He's definitely the perfect person for Sixth World life in general and Shadowrunning in particular (though he clearly sees it only as a means to further his research), and he knows it.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 6, 2021