Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Troll Punchwoman Adept

Enough with this Dwarf stuff, consider how hard you can punch things as both a Troll (15 possible Str!) and an Awakened Chi magician. Could sink a battlecruiser with your fists.

Seriously, strongly consider it over the dwarf version which will still be fun but not quite as intimidating.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

11 Willpower and 12 Strength versus 9 Willpower and 15 Strength means that it's mostly defense (avoiding hits, reducing damage) vs offense (soaking hits and making big numbers pop up) in a max-stats game. The 11 Body Max vs 17 Body Max is far more notable, considering you're going to be wading into the middle of combat a lot.

Yeah, there's also something nice about being able to take a hit from a battlecruiser's main guns before tearing it apart with your fists.

I'm hardly gonna be sad with the Dwarf Adept if we go that way.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I am extremely excited to meet all of our party members. On the whole I think I like them very slightly more than the crew from Dragonfall. Glory and Eiger and Deitrich and Blutz were all great, but this game has a great cast.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

nabo posted:

:bandwagon: but consider adding some points into cyberaffinity for maximum hilarity

Cyberaffinity with Adept is indeed loving loonytunes.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I think our last name comes automatically from our dad in this one? I might be mis-remembering.

Taz is a good street handle and seems like the choice of the people.

e: switching my vote for pic, see below.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 9, 2020

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

nah, you're adopted

its why duncans last name is wu

Right I had thought it was Wu from being adopted siblings w/ Duncan.

PMush Perfect posted:

Female troll, last portrait in this row, because that family resemblance with Duncan is uncanny.

:hmmyes:

Edit: Let's go with Ling Black , because the idea of a troll adept with a name that means "dainty" is loving hilarious.

Yeah, I'm with all of this. Ling "Taz" Black, Troll Punchwoman Extraordinaire.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I haven't played both, but playing unarmed was truly enjoyable.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I don't think the game ever goes into what your character did to get locked up. Since she has the Academic etiquette, I'm making it my headcanon that Shin was a doctoral student whose research team's "intellectual property theft" pissed off a megacorp and she was the scapegoat who got a prison term for it. And then while in jail she hit the iron and got fuckin' swole.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Subdue is excellent to use once or twice per encounter. Plus, there are some combats where you'd rather not kill the folk who are attacking you.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Gotta help our friend out!

I'd also be good with the revenge mission, which is ALWAYS good motivation in these sorts of games.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

So happy we met Gobbet and Is0bel. They're my faves. :allears:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Quackles posted:

So what system would you suggest for playing Shadowrun? :v:

Blades in the Dark.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Kindly Cheng is about as decent as you can get for being an upper/middle-management type for a triad. Which means she's mostly fair but still terrifying.

She got along with my PC pretty quick, IIRC, I didn't challenge her and was a stone cold badass.

Bring Gobbet, Is0bel grew up in the walled city and would prefer not to go back.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

MadDogMike posted:

Though man, wish I could remember if the Insect Spirits had any canonical impact there, because it seems like practically a hive already.

hehehehe.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It should be noted given the earlier conversation that SRHK does try from the jump to explain why Kowloon Walled City is so bad, which at least heads off a few problems with exoticizing a poor area.

btw, if Manhattan had the same population density of peak Kowloon Walled City, it'd have 74m residents. Really gives you an indication of how off sci-fi writers are when talking about world-spanning cities. Asimov biffed this hardest, he had Trantor's peak population at 40 billion. Star Wars apparently has Coruscant at 1 trillion, which is much closer but even at just Manhattan density Earth would have 13 trillion (covering oceans) or 4 trillion (just land area).

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 22, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

MagusofStars posted:

The couple times I played through, it felt like the game gave me exactly enough cash to keep the PC up-to-date in armor and weapons, but not a penny more.

In Dragonfall, it was viable to buy stuff specifically to 'loan' to crew members, it was viable to buy drugs and consumables and use them regularly, if you were playing a caster it was viable to spend money on some situation-specific spells. But in HK, I always felt like I was money starved enough that I couldn't afford to waste money on these sorts of "nice to have but not strictly required" purchases while still keeping up to date on the truly critical stuff.

Playing a punch-adept helped a lot since I didn't need to buy weapons.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I found a lot of use for subdue in my playthrough. There are a number of fights with folks who don't really deserve to die.

I don't ever recall using poison fog, tho. Maybe I'll reinstall...

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Insect spirits don't want to live there either.
(this sounds like a joke but I would consider it the actual answer)

Yeah, I'd consider this the real answer.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

A whole lot of that 6th ed stuff looks entirely un-playtested. And the book seems entirely unedited. Madness.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Oh, I think Auntie believes the ghost did it. I also think she's smart enough to see who sent the ghost in Bao's direction.

I'm a fan of the Plastic-Faced Man's entire... thing He's a fun character/plot point.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Before 2020, I would have agreed.

"It's actually a false flag to make us look like we're the ones using blood magic!"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I've always enjoyed the notion of deep cover Vatican agents in Aztlan, tbh.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Option 5.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Racter is fun, and an interesting take on his archtype. Glad we took Academia, since IIRC that can get a lot of optional dialogue out of him.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

We've now met all but one of the party members. Racter is very handy even if Koschei isn't as much of a murderbot as originally indicated. And having a drone means you get to mess around with all the vents!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

By popular demand posted:

Let's Play Shadowrun: Hong Kong- Welcome to the shadows, Dickhead.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

quote:

: Is that hygienic?

Probably not. But I've never gotten sick, so...

IIRC Rat shamans are more resistant to disease than your average chummer. But I can't remember where I read that, so it might not be true!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

If you're going to play SR:HK yourself, I suggest talking to Crafty early and often.

Also, does the game openly mention at some point why, exactly, the much more youthful appearing Lau knows and hangs out with the geezers? I can't recall if it's text or subtext.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Harlequin is actually one of the less lovely Immortal Elves, iirc, which gives you an idea of exactly how bad they tend to run.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 11, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Maximum Law is one of the most annoying, self satisfied, overweening people you know. He's like 20, so that's a big part of it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

MelvinBison posted:

Wait, Law's not a kid? :psyboom:
I can't believe I missed that line of text on every playthrough.

Yeah, same. It makes him grate on me even more.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I love when this thread gets to talking about the SR universe. :allears:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

thekeeshman posted:

Street Monk, what's the point of being an adept if we're not going to lean into it?

:hmmyes:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

paragon1 posted:

There's a whole rear end country of ghouls with their own complex politics and society, so common enough.

Asamando basically farms people to feed its population. Even for Shadowrun it's pretty grim.

The Lone Badger posted:

High-grade material + armour + Renraku markings + bladed weapon is an extremely alarming combination.

FTFY. It was nice knownin' you, Taz and Duncan and Racter and Is0bel!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Xun posted:

Im not really familiar with the shadowrun lore, what's the deal with renraku red armor? :v:

It's what their ultra-elite Red Samurai security forces use, along with katanas.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Gun Jam posted:

Aside how's this setting's japan? I think it's a combination of WWII-imperial japan mixed with (nineties? eightes?) "japan takes over the world" scare (told that was common in cyberpunk/speculation?), but my knowledge's limited. so...Shadowrun lore goons, help?

You've basically got it. Japan's home to three of the ten AAA corporations that sit on the Corporate Court in Renraku, Shiawase, and Mitsuhama. They had five AAAs at one point, but Yamatetsu decamped to Russia and changed their name to Evo while Fuchi got wrecked by corporate infighting. By way of comparison, Europe has Saeder-Krupp, China has Wuxing, the Americas have Ares, NeoNET, Aztechnology, and Horizon. When Yamatetsu was coming up, the non-Japan corps supported its bid for a AAA status just to break the control of the other Japanese megas.

Japan in Shadowrun is also very human-supremacist, IIRC they basically forced the metahuman population of the country onto a single island concentration camp. My recollection is that the current regime has improved their lot a fair amount, but it's still pretty racist even in an already racist world.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 24, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Japan also had to deal with a huge wave of earthquakes and volcanoes going off in 2061, which, among a whole bunch of other things, happened to kill the Emperor and his family. That forced them to pull back from previous imperial conquests

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Isn't a major point of Yamatetsu's backstory that they rose to AAA status in part because of their focus on products for metahumans? I know once they became a AAA the Japanese half of the corporate board defenestrated the Filipino half in a self-coup and got rid of the former chairman of the board... and that's when Buttercup showed up as a mystery buyer of 11% of the company.

In 2056 they're in the midst of an internecine battle between the conservative Japanese stockholders and Buttercup which comes to a head a few years later and results in the company becoming Evo.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Aww yeah, get that human sashimi.

Gaichu is an excellent character. And his stance on "kill people so that your reputation is unbesmirched" is 0% him being a ghoul and 100% him being ex-Renraku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

GhostStalker posted:

Mentioned this before, but there’s a Ghoul nation in the middle of Deepest, Darkest Africa. Run by a Queen because why the gently caress not. Also, the Organlegging syndicate Tanamous exists to supply ghouls with fresh metahuman flesh to quench their hunger and make sure they don’t turn feral.

Asamando started with extremely high ideals of being a place where both HMMVV-positive and regular folks could live. Within a couple decades it turned into a cannibal farm. A very "things can always get worse" vibe.