Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
And well should they be! Catholics stamped out the Aztecs in one world, but in this one they couldn’t stay dead!

Just finished the Dragonfall LP. What a ride. Thanks for the LP. I will soon start reading this one and hopefully enjoy similar excellence. Thanks in advance for that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I was reading Shadowrun Tv tropes tonight and they mentioned elves who ended up with Orc brothers when the magic first came back. Surprising we don’t see that sort of situation in the games.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I like Strangler Bao best thus far. “Acquire a huge arsenal. You’re likely to need it.” :D

Btw, I was surprised we got Crafty as our magic salesperson instead of a certain smug elf. Maybe he shows up later?

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 7, 2021

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

paragon1 posted:

Leave Gobbet Isobel lived there, Racter's new, and Duncan should have something useful to say.

This. And it’s a pity we can’t tell Law how ironic his name is considering his affiliation. Or does he know?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Why do people who claim to be the Law always wear face-obscuring headgear? First Judge Dredd, then cowboys with their hats pulled low, now this guy. Geez.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Spider Shen is definitely in the running for my favorite character in the game, and gender was not part of said ruling.

I recognize Aberdeen as a district of Hong Kong also featured in the game Sleeping Dogs. Wanchai Market is a common area of Hong Kong referenced in that game and another- Deus Ex. Hong Kong has a very different geographic layout in both those games and this one, so we can’t yet be sure what other common areas will pop up. Any that do, or any references from one game to another, are quite welcome in my opinion.

Here are the districts of Hong Kong I remember from those games-

Sleeping Dogs- North Point, Central (Downtown), Aberdeen, Kennedy Town, Victoria Peak.

Deus Ex- Wanchai Market (I thought this was explicitly referenced in Sleeping Dogs, but looking back I don’t think it was named as such), Canals, Tonnochi Road.

I’m not familiar enough with other games set in Hong Kong to list all their districts. I’ll let someone else do it for this one. It’s still on my to-play list and will probably remain so the duration of this LP (part avoiding spoilers, part packed list).

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 18, 2021

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

quote:

Why would someone kill him and then skin him?

I really hope we're not dealing with a certain race of alien hunters here. Those ugly mo-Fos are known for that. Then again, nobody is mentioning uncommon natural heat. It’s probably not them.

quote:

So... the victim was struck in the neck from somewhere unseen with something bladed, and whoever did it felt really cool about it afterwards?

Or a certain ancient order of murderers following a certain Creed. Then again, the Whampoan Elders don't seem much like Templars, so maybe we're safe there.

quote:

it's always taught by somebody in a stuffed animal suit.

I especially hope the murderer doesn't end up dressed in one of those. Furry Serial Killers are just the worst.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 25, 2021

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Never played, might in the future. Enjoying the LP regardless.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

"Don't do drugs, you might get possessed by an evil tree" is admittedly a direction DARE didn't take.

Shame. Keeping Rachael Leigh Cook from destroying my kitchen was enough for me, but this angle might have worked with other people.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Kobal2 posted:

Fair point, but it would be Anthropoarctos then I believe ? I never actually took Greek, but I do know "homo" means "similar", not "man".

Oh, and Securetech. Taz knows Kung Fu, gotta Matrix it up obviously. The Shaman garb would be better, were it not for that awful, AWFUL hat.

I like Securetech also. Troll in the Matrix!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The killer uses a katana, ninja stealth, and cyber armor? Hope he’s not a supposedly dead veteran of the Shadow Moses Island conflict. I don’t think Taz could take Grey Fox.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I’d never heard of Red Samurai before now (not that big on Shadowrun lore), but yeah, they don’t sound like people whom we should trouble. There’s probably more to the mystery, however. Looking forward to further investigation soon.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Or maybe he’s just a fanboy and not a real Red Samurai. Is there traffic in Renraku trophies or surplus on the black market?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I did not expect an interesting new party member to be a possible outcome of this quest. I wonder what the boss fight with him is like. And the Elders boss fight also. I also have the novel of this game in my kindle but am waiting to read it till after the LP is done. If this mission is in the novel I wonder what outcome Mel Odom picked- hopefully the same one our LP author did. I agree it’s the most interesting.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Anyone else want to see Gaichu vs. Daredevil in a Marvel Shadowrun crossover fanfic?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hopefully the game’s definition of doing everything right is the same as ours in this case, or close enough.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I can't help but wonder if we're ever going to get a Deus Ex easter egg in this game. They both feature Hong Kong and a lot of the same concepts- transhumanism, struggle against corporate overlords, shadow running. Probably part of why I'm enjoying the LP so much.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I recall a legend about a deleted scene from one of the Terminator movies where they break into Skynet's core and find... drum roll... an HP printer hooked up to a drum of ink.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Bolthole and how the world really is works for me too. Although I also like to hurt people… for peace.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Fire solves all problems? Tell that to people in a certain area of California, see what sort of response you get.

I’d like to see what she says if you ask what point there was to that story. The proper response- “I like stories.” :D

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
But so many of those people displaced by the fires are coming to where I live and driving up housing prices, increasing my property taxes... which keep going up anyway and the house will get me more money when I sell it before I retire as is the current plan. I suppose it's fine.

And maybe some will move back to California eventually and build better fireproofed houses. I suppose that's good too.

As long as that doesn't lead to out of work firemen deciding to burn books or something equally bad...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Some data that may be relevant.

- The usual price for a haircut is between $8 and $25 plus tip depending on where you go and your age. Of course this is for just a trim. Elaborate dyes, styles, and spa treatments can up the price considerably.

- My ex-wife used to spend about $400 every three months on a haircut and other beauty stuff. I disagreed with her as to the value of this, one reason we're no longer married.

- Congressman and Presidential Candidate John Edwards once spent several thousand dollars of taxpayer money on a haircut, one reason he's no longer in Congress.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 23, 2021

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Xun- Funny, my ex made the same argument. I told her there was little comparison between $80-100 once in a while for a game and what her hobby cost, and we disagreed on the value of her hobby too. Never mind that I was willing to wait for a price drop on a game when necessary while she refused to shop around for better deals on her deal and was willing to use the credit cards we only got for emergency expense for it… never mind. I feel I was justified in my anger over the issue. You have the right to disagree. That’s all I’ll say about it here.

Girldickenergy- Never actually seen any episode of DBZ, just familiar with it secondhand. I and others may have taken your quote out of context, always a risk with obscure references.

StuddMuffin- I don’t know, I just remember the haircut thing. Wouldn’t surprise me, and I can think of many politicians who have done worse. But SA has another board for that.

JustJeff- Funny enough, my first barber that I can remember liked to say that my hair is so thick that sheep shearing was the only proper way to cut it. One reason I’m glad he’s out of business now.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 24, 2021

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Poor guy, I know he's a junkie pyro bombmaker, but I can't help hoping things work out for him.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, this is the second wordiest choice-full game I've ever experienced. The first being Tin Star, which is all text.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

AceOfFlames posted:

My dude, have you ever heard of a game called Disco Elysium

The name is familiar. I’ll check it out.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Is0bel, Gobbet, Duncan

This.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Personally, if I was backing a game like this, I'd rather my character be used as an enemy boss of some kind than a guest character who distracts from the well-designed core party. Imagine the following Kickstarter Promo-

Pay $400 and get your own mid-level mini-boss added to the game.
$1000 and it's a level boss.
$5000 and it's a boss before the final boss (final boss itself reserved for game designers).
$10k and it's an optional super-boss.

All bosses are inserted in the game story where the game designers feel they best fit. Maybe they're a fixer some security team hired. Maybe they're a random minion. You get the idea. It feels more fun than creating guest party members no one really wants to use. Of course the bosses can be subject to change without notice to keep out the dongs-promoters and such. We all know X-Flow was originally named Heavy Flow before someone took offense.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

Isn't that basically what Undertale did?

Didn’t know that. I wasn’t into that game.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I read the updates, but this little detail must have slipped by me. Glad you caught it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
So can Gaichu get a Muramasa Demon Blade at some point? Can't think of any more appropriate weapon for a samurai ghoul.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

AceOfFlames posted:

Old Man Withers was pretending to be a ghost to scare people away from his cyberzombie project.

And he would have gotten away with it too, if not for the meddling kids!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Do I even want to know what the Shadowrun verse would make of Scrappy Doo? I’ll leave speculation to those who know it better than me.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Nightelf_37- Maybe your character can help me with a friendship problem sometime. [wink wink]

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Welcome back! And bah humbug!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The game isn’t over yet….

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This is an LP I could pick up a decade from now and still enjoy.

Seriously, please don’t take that long. Honest compliment, but still… ;)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

dervival posted:

Yeah. Cyberpunk is here, and we are not the runners. I'm just glad we don't have sovereign corporate nations as a standard quite yet.

Speak for yourself. I got a Johnson on speed dial, a drone controlled via my cyber arm, and a team looking for a decker*.

* Must be competent, not use combat stims, able to operate a moped, willing to speak up loudly when the team is in danger and he doesn’t have a turret under control.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

JT Jag posted:

My dad just bought me a Fairlight Excalibur, does that work

Can you use it? Hack the Ares mainframe, make it look like Lofwyr was responsible, plant data that will lead them to Aztechnology’s latest scheme regarding insect spirits and blood magic, then we’ll talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

JT Jag posted:

I edited the company logo on the Ares intranet to be a dickbutt guy wearing the helmet and it took their resident deckers five whole minutes to revert it back, does that count

ROFL. Ok, you got my vote. Look for a ten foot cyborg troll with a red Mohawk on your doorstep- can’t say when he’ll show up, but his name is Fred and he will conduct the next part of your interview.