Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I"m unreasonably fascinated by thinking about things going differently than they did in the Star Wars movies:

- What if Luke hadn't ran off to Bespin, and instead stayed to complete his training as Yoda wanted?

- What if Vader had turned Luke to the Dark Side (or at least, conned him into thinking they could knock down the Emperor)? And Leia winds up having to train up and take them down?

- What if the Rebels hadn't got the Endor shield down?

- What if Anakin hadn't shown up to intervene between Mace Windu and Palpatine?

- What if the Separatists had totally clowned on the Republic and forced them to surrender?

- What if the New Republic fleet was missed somehow by the Starkiller Base?

Does anyone else think there should be, like, comic miniseries that explore these possibilities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Infinities

They were pretty good, from what my old memory of reading them 15 years ago retains

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

IIRC There's a comic where Luke does go to the dark side.

If Pandemic Studios didn't get acquired by EA, Battlefront 3 was going to have a single player campaign that flipped the dark and light sides or something. All the way from Ep. I to Ep. IV. The concept art is interesting if nothing else.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Toph Bei Fong posted:

They were pretty good, from what my old memory of reading them 15 years ago retains

Peter David wrote a proposal for Infinities that was rejected. It diverged with the other droid they buy from the Jawas not blowing up so Luke doesn’t end up with Artoo. Things get out of control and it ends with Leia turning evil and taking over the Empire, and also having Luke as her lover.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

One of these ended with Yoda 9/11'ing The Emperor with a Star Destroyer.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Archer666 posted:

One of these ended with Yoda 9/11'ing The Emperor with a Star Destroyer.

Was that the “Luke dies of exposure” story or a different one because I remember basically all of them being bonkers.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Linux Pirate posted:

IIRC There's a comic where Luke does go to the dark side.

If Pandemic Studios didn't get acquired by EA, Battlefront 3 was going to have a single player campaign that flipped the dark and light sides or something. All the way from Ep. I to Ep. IV. The concept art is interesting if nothing else.

Evil = Bald is an idea I can sink my teeth into.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Toph Bei Fong posted:

In the one where the first Death Star doesn't blow up Han ends up going to Dagobah with Luke and short circuits Yoda's whole "Yoda? Never heard of him" bit by instantly figuring it out.

Speaking of videogames and alternate takes, the first Force Unleashed game had multiple endings, one that was canon (where the main character loses to Vader) and one that was not (where he kills Vader and basically replaces him in service to the Emperor) with DLC following the non-canon ending as the main character hunts down Obi Wan.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

karmicknight posted:

Was that the “Luke dies of exposure” story or a different one because I remember basically all of them being bonkers.

Yeah, I think that was the one. Luke dies on Hoth and Han and Leia go find Yoda instead. Then they tease Han becoming a jedi for a moment before Yoda goes YOU FUCKHEAD, I'M TALKING TO LEIA.

I loving loved those comics.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

- What if the Separatists had totally clowned on the Republic and forced them to surrender?

so my friends and I spent some time pondering this idea and they pointed out that this varies a lot depending on at what point in the war the CIS manages to win, especially regarding whether Dooku is still alive

and I think my favorite outcome from this thought experiment was that - assuming the writer doesn't use the last stand at Coruscant as a convenient fill-in for Order 66, and assuming that either Order 66 never gets transmitted or that due to the alternate circumstances it was just not effective - most of the Jedi scatter off into the galaxy, and due to there no longer being a Jedi Council sitting at a central temple, we see big schisms in the Jedi Order. long story short there are now catholic jedi and orthodox jedi.

though either way, a multi-polar Star Wars galaxy is, uh, probably going to result in a lot more star wars lol

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 19, 2020

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Here’s one I hadn’t thought of:

-Leia decides to get inside the escape pod at the beginning of ANH and ends up crash landing in Luke’s back yard.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Marsupial Ape posted:

Here’s one I hadn’t thought of:

-Leia decides to get inside the escape pod at the beginning of ANH and ends up crash landing in Luke’s back yard.

They'd have detected life forms and shot down the pod

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Who What Now posted:

It was the '70s, women still didn't count as people and she wouldn't have tripped the scanner.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
There's a guy on Youtube who exposits all sorts of Star Wars possibilities/alternate timelines, including joke ones like "What if Anakin liked sand?" and "What if the younglings killed Anakin?"

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
What about the meta alternate timelines? What if the prequels were never made? What if Harrison Ford didn't come for Return? Actually, what if David Lynch had accepted Lucas' proposal to direct Return?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PALjbTo1D5U

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN_Uwo4qQTM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VwVHHVNY4M

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Who What Now posted:

Already thought of that. They just tag the pod, causing it to veer off course and land in Luke’s back yard.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Which Infinites was it where Leia is more present and both she and Luke pull Anakin out of the Death Star? He subsequently survives with all-new white armor, but I don’t know if that went beyond that as an ending.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Which Infinites was it where Leia is more present and both she and Luke pull Anakin out of the Death Star? He subsequently survives with all-new white armor, but I don’t know if that went beyond that as an ending.

That was the ending of the Return of the Jedi one where the turning point was that they mess up the rescue of Han. The one for ANH was Luke's torpedo ends up being faulty so it detonates partway through the exhaust shaft and doesn't destroy the first Death Star. While the one for ESB is that Luke dies of exposure on Hoth because Han doesn't find him in time.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

muscles like this! posted:

That was the ending of the Return of the Jedi one where the turning point was that they mess up the rescue of Han. The one for ANH was Luke's torpedo ends up being faulty so it detonates partway through the exhaust shaft and doesn't destroy the first Death Star. While the one for ESB is that Luke dies of exposure on Hoth because Han doesn't find him in time.

The ROTJ ending also has the emperor escape I think? Idk I read them all in one sitting so they kinda ran together

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

The ROTJ ending also has the emperor escape I think? Idk I read them all in one sitting so they kinda ran together

not only does the emperor escape, Vader survives, vows to help the rebels hunt him down, and I poo poo you not dons and all white version of his Darth Vader armor to signify that he's a good guy now. Doesn't change literally anything else about the design, just makes it all white.

It was a gloriously dumb comic book

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

GimpInBlack posted:

not only does the emperor escape, Vader survives, vows to help the rebels hunt him down, and I poo poo you not dons and all white version of his Darth Vader armor to signify that he's a good guy now. Doesn't change literally anything else about the design, just makes it all white.

It was a gloriously dumb comic book

They're all pretty dumb imo.

The omnibus I read also had The Star Wars, which, not only what your grandmother calls it, is also the comic bookization of Lucas' original script, which, if i needed to sum it up in a sentence is "George's pitch for a new Republic series to compete with Flash Gordon"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Archer666 posted:

What about the meta alternate timelines? What if the prequels were never made? What if Harrison Ford didn't come for Return? Actually, what if David Lynch had accepted Lucas' proposal to direct Return?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PALjbTo1D5U

The "what if the Prequels were never made" one is relatively easy to answer. Lucas said that he was so impressed with how well the Shadows of the Empire meta-franchise went over that if he wasn't already working on per-production of the Prequels, he would have made or at least authorized a full-on Shadows of the Empire movie as the capstone to the project. The Prequels are then either never made, or pushed back by at least another decade.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I"m unreasonably fascinated by thinking about things going differently than they did in the Star Wars movies:

- What if Luke hadn't ran off to Bespin, and instead stayed to complete his training as Yoda wanted?

This probably would have turned out worse, as Yoda and Obi-Wan repeatedly gave Luke bad advice about what to do about Vader and the Emperor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Avatar TLA actually comes to mind; Aang's experience with the guru is pretty similar to Yoda, where he's profoundly uncomfortable with the idea of detaching from his worldly concerns- especially his romantic feelings towards Katara. Towards the end though, it seems more clarified that he doesn't have to give up his friends and the idea of love- but he does have to be prepared to put them aside, along with even his own life, for the good of the world.

...actually comes to mind that one thing the prequels reinforce is that Anakin isn't used to having his feelings and care for other people validated- and Sidious was the one who promised him the power to save and protect the ones he loved the most. ...so when Sheev gets out the Force Lightning on Luke, Vader perhaps realises on some level that he's welching on that deal, and never really was going to uphold it for a moment longer than suited him, on top of, y'know, being mad at the dude killing his son who is actually willing to accept him if he but throws down his arms and the empire.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
"Vader? Are we good? Is this a bit you're doing--VADER!"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

nine-gear crow posted:

The "what if the Prequels were never made" one is relatively easy to answer. Lucas said that he was so impressed with how well the Shadows of the Empire meta-franchise went over that if he wasn't already working on per-production of the Prequels, he would have made or at least authorized a full-on Shadows of the Empire movie as the capstone to the project. The Prequels are then either never made, or pushed back by at least another decade.

I guess we can say for sure that he doesn't care what's in this material, only that it makes him money.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Defiance Industries posted:

I guess we can say for sure that he doesn't care what's in this material, only that it makes him money.

Lucas's lack of respect for Star Wars makes him one of the easiest directors to respect.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tulip posted:

Lucas's lack of respect for Star Wars makes him one of the easiest directors to respect.

I love that in both Star Wars and Star Trek fandom there's an entire contingent of dipshits who keep cawing "[Thing X] disrespect George's Vision" or "[Thing X] disrespects Gene's Vision", when in reality George's Vision (and Gene's too) was just a fuckton of dollars in his bank account by any means necessary.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i think that's overly reductive though. like yeah, sure, they wanted big money and peer acclaim, and ol' gene wanted to gently caress, a lot. but they also definitely had opinions about how their respective space settings worked. maybe george was less in the weeds about the mechanics of it and would shrug and say whatever about some stuff, but gene - especially in the 1980s - definitely had strong opinions about how things should work in star trek.

IMO the real pro take is not "this is/isn't in keeping with their vision" or "well they didn't really have a vision", it's "what was important about their vision (which doesn't necessarily mean what they thought was important) and how does this align with that?" i know there are infamous stories like george lucas suggesting "darth icky" and "darth insanious" as sith lord names, but - without necessarily thinking it's what should be enshrined as unshakeable truth - i am interested to know what he thinks is important about the setting and why.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

George Lucas' interview with Charlie Rose, the one where he got in trouble for "white slaver" comments right around the opening of The Force Awakens, is pretty revealing in that he has this idea that it's Hollywood's fault that he can't make small productions, as if it's physically impossible to do. It's only impossible in that you can't do it and also have a billion licensing deals and a ranch complex filled with production people who do whatever you say, and then use that money to make more of those types of movies.

Unless I'm mistaken, George has also absolutely not made good on his threat to finally make "small" "personal" movies now that he is not in charge of Star Wars productions. The guy is getting up there in years.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, George has also absolutely not made good on his threat to finally make "small" "personal" movies now that he is not in charge of Star Wars productions. The guy is getting up there in years.

There's a decent chance the two are related.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Not to split hairs, but was Gene at least more invested in the message of his property than George?

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

so my friends and I spent some time pondering this idea and they pointed out that this varies a lot depending on at what point in the war the CIS manages to win, especially regarding whether Dooku is still alive

and I think my favorite outcome from this thought experiment was that - assuming the writer doesn't use the last stand at Coruscant as a convenient fill-in for Order 66, and assuming that either Order 66 never gets transmitted or that due to the alternate circumstances it was just not effective - most of the Jedi scatter off into the galaxy, and due to there no longer being a Jedi Council sitting at a central temple, we see big schisms in the Jedi Order. long story short there are now catholic jedi and orthodox jedi.

though either way, a multi-polar Star Wars galaxy is, uh, probably going to result in a lot more star wars lol

They should legit make something set a couple hundred years after the sequel trilogy where Luke's failure to rebuild the Jedi has led to there being dozens of philosophically divergent Jedi orders running around.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Virgin Imperial Obi-Wan vs Chad Sith Hobo Obi-Wan

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Asgerd posted:

This one friggin owns.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bootcha posted:

Not to split hairs, but was Gene at least more invested in the message of his property than George?

I'm inclined to think so, but I'm hesitant to assert it as the truth.

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

They should legit make something set a couple hundred years after the sequel trilogy where Luke's failure to rebuild the Jedi has led to there being dozens of philosophically divergent Jedi orders running around.

I agree although I think it would be important to depict other non-Jedi Force-wielding philosophies as well, people who either don't know about the Jedi and come to their own interpretations of the Force through their background and experiences, or people who say "we just spent the past few thousand years subscribing to this Jedi/Sith dichotomy bullshit, we're taking a different path, gently caress you."

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Bootcha posted:

I think Lucas was always invested in making sure the series had consistent themes and messaging, but was equally invested in having cool action sequences and chases since he loved race cars and the like, and one of those things sells better than the other.
For every scene with a badass walking tank or cute teddy bear warrior, there's one where a muppet gives a philosophy lesson or a giant frog with a silly voice accidentally creates a fascist state.

Here's a video from the production of a Clone Wars episode where he reinforces to the writing staff what the Light/Dark dichotomy of the Force is supposed to be.

And one where he talks about some of the social themes of the series with James Cameron.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Some Goon posted:

There's a decent chance the two are related.

Selling the rights to Star Wars was his big chance, but I think George somehow regrets not staying on the THX 1138 auteur scene and is a tad bitter that the whole period that spawned movies like that is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Asgerd posted:

I always imagined this was an Obi Wan who listened to Dooku on Genosis and was tempted into becoming his apprentice, and in this timeline Dooku is the Emperor because they killed Palpatine and Anakin

That's always been my number one alt timeline in general, which I never see anyone talk about. "Obi Wan doesn't tell Dooku to gently caress off out of hand on Geonosis," is an idea overflowing with potential.