Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
e:
:siren: :siren: THE GAME IS DONE! :siren: :siren:
(though I may update it after jam voting ends)

12 byobbers helped make this game a reality!! Thanks to plant monster, khanstant, pseudorandom, nut, posting smiling, heather papps, horrible butts, biosterous, sk, prof. crocodile, & itry
Click here to play: https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/egg-game
Click here for my closing thoughts: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950788&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post510909325

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello all! Starting this Friday the 11th is the 28th Godot Wild Jam, which seems as good an opportunity as any for byob to work together on a video game!

Here is how it will work:
-The theme for the game jam will be announced on Friday. (e: the theme is egg!)
-We'll discuss the theme and come up with a game idea. (if we hate the theme we can ignore it)
-I'll do most of the programming.
-You all will email me assets at blaze.rascal.sa@gmail.com, or post your assets in this thread. (assets include art, music, writing, etc.)
-I'll bundle it all into a game!!! Hopefully it will all be finished by the 20th!

If you want to contribute to the programming, that's great as well! But it's a little tough for multiple people to work on the same code, so I request that any programming you do, be separated into its own standalone scene (.tscn file). Then just zip it up, along with the supporting assets, and email it to me! To learn to program in the Godot Engine, simply download Godot and mess around with one of the template projects, or work on the official tutorials.

"BUT BLAISE," you say, as your excitement borders on hysteria, "MY ART AND MUSIC AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH!" Well, that is where you are wrong, my friend! As long as your entry is not offensive, it is welcome, and if all you do is take a photo of a tree and post it in this thread, I will find a way to work it into the game. (The one thing I will not accept is 3d models, because making games in 3d is hard. Sorry, blender crew. But your 2d renders are welcome!)

We still have a few days before this thing kicks off, and I'll use this time to get my development environment set up and answer questions.

One last note: I request your patience because I am still learning Godot, and I may not be able to field all requests you all may have. If I can't work something into the game as a result of my lack of experience, I apologize! (To see examples of my work, click here: https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/)

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

Task Board

Current build https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/egg-game-demo

For our farming game, we'll need the following:
-A lot of unique eggs. Here is a guide: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950788&pagenumber=2#post510686920
-Also, here is a very long list of possible eggs by Plant Monster: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950788&pagenumber=2#post510677914
-A main character sprite with a walk animation and idle animation
-A colonel Sanders sprite with a walk animation and idle animation
-A chicken sprite with a walk animation and idle animation completed by plant monster
-Background / game world art
-Background music
-Some sound effects (exactly what is needed will be determined later)

Let's put your submissions on hold for now! Because the game must be completed tomorrow!

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 20, 2020

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

biosterous

i think the rolling cat should be in the game

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

hello i am here to volunteer

itry

Interested in this.

Also - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godot_(game_engine) (I didn't know what's Godot)

posting smiling
blaise great idea. i've also been using godot for personal projects lately and came to find it a lot more comfortable than unity. i would love to participate either in programming or art/sound. i love doing game jams but usually only solo and usually find it a bit too stressful. the last time i did a team jam was in 2008 in my first year of college, so this will be fun to try again.

and blender's not just good for 3d. grease pencil makes it a great choice for 2d sprite animation.

posting smiling
here's one of my godot projects. it plays a midi file and animates a virtual band with a character for each midi instrument that are programmed to animate when specific notes play so that they sync with the audio. but there are too many midi instruments so i only got a frog playing a trumpet and a monkey playing an accordion.

https://i.imgur.com/l0Fdd18.mp4

posting smiling
when i can find the artistic confidence to animate a platypus playing a piccolo i will be ready to return and finish that project.

more falafel please

forums poster

welp I have a new favorite band

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

posting smiling

more falafel please posted:

welp I have a new favorite band

Dead Hippie Ghost

tears for queers
afk -> you know me
sponsored by Healer LLC
I'd love to make a soundtrack or models for it. I'm definetly not a professional 3d artist so probably only easier stuff. I am pretty good at recording music though, and I love scoring stuff

posting smiling
oh i had missed your previous threads for these. i'm looking through your itch page now. cool.

nut

how could i not volunteer after seeing this? i'm compute rilliterate but i can contribute anything else needed like art or writing or halftime snacks

Goons Are Gifts

Hell yeah this is super exciting, I can't draw or post art and I never touched any programming outside of copy pasting Google scripts and if-conditions in Java, but maybe I can find a way to contribute a story or something, I dunno! I can at least write okay-ish

blaise rascal

Posting a thread like this can be a bit scary, so it's awesome to see a warm response from you all! Those of you who have expressed interest in contributing, if there's any questions you have, I'm happy to answer. I'm hesitant to give too much instruction, since I want everyone to feel like their style is the correct style, but maybe I'll write an artist's guide and musician's guide to give a few tips.

biosterous posted:

i think the rolling cat should be in the game
I agree! Hmm, does someone want to draw the rolling cat? I'm fine with using a few pieces of art from the internet, but byob has such drawing talent, I bet someone would want to draw it (or something similar) from scratch, which would be even better!

posting smiling posted:

blaise great idea. i've also been using godot for personal projects lately and came to find it a lot more comfortable than unity. i would love to participate either in programming or art/sound. i love doing game jams but usually only solo and usually find it a bit too stressful. the last time i did a team jam was in 2008 in my first year of college, so this will be fun to try again.

and blender's not just good for 3d. grease pencil makes it a great choice for 2d sprite animation.
I agree about the unity vs. godot comparison. They're pretty similar, and unity may have shipped more commercial games, but godot is just so much easier. Also, very true point about blender and greasepencil!

posting smiling posted:

here's one of my godot projects. it plays a midi file and animates a virtual band with a character for each midi instrument that are programmed to animate when specific notes play so that they sync with the audio. but there are too many midi instruments so i only got a frog playing a trumpet and a monkey playing an accordion.

https://i.imgur.com/l0Fdd18.mp4
Oh gosh, this is so amazing. I am an idiot when it comes to 3D, but what if... what if you make a standalone 3D scene, and then the game could switch to your scene at some point, then switch back to the 2D scene? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, haha.

blaise rascal

It's clear that byob has good writers, so I'll start thinking about how to incorporate writing you all contribute. To me, writing in video games often takes the form of:
-dialog (possibly branching based on player input) (this also includes stuff like reading signs & tutorials)
-books you can inspect and read in the game world

For the next two days, I'd like to work on structures that would support adding these things to a game. So my task list leading up to the jam is:
-Make a simple state machine with a dialog state and a gameplay state - controls are inactive during the dialog state.
-Make transitions between these states
-Make the dialog state pop up a text box and word-wrapped text, and make these things go away when the dialog state ends
-Perhaps make the dialog print slowly (and you can press a button to make it print faster)
-Perhaps make it so that dialog longer than 2 lines is printed on sequential dialog windows (or make the dialog scroll down within the window)
-Maybe add branching-ness to the dialog, by popping up windows with choices
-Selection cursor or mouse to select option, text highlights when mouse is hovered over it, etc.
-Based on user selection do different things
-More optional features: Different dialog if you interact multiple times with the same thing, character portraits pop up, etc. Only really needed for rpgs
-Add state for item inspection, with scene transitions
-If we want books in game, create a book background, and make text fit on book, and make it so that you can click between pages

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 9, 2020

Goons Are Gifts

Since it's the only thing I can do properly, I'm happy to offer writing for that stuff!
As CC also has its travelling circus around to collect tales of happening creative work, do you want me to signal boost it there, too? Maybe you could get even more creative minds on this!

blaise rascal

Glutes Are Great posted:

Since it's the only thing I can do properly, I'm happy to offer writing for that stuff!
As CC also has its travelling circus around to collect tales of happening creative work, do you want me to signal boost it there, too? Maybe you could get even more creative minds on this!
I appreciate the offer, but I do not want you to post about this project in that thread. But I do hope you write something!

Goons Are Gifts

Alright, I'm happy to write! Just tell me when you got some outlines and I'll think about what I could get started on

blaise rascal

Glutes Are Great posted:

Alright, I'm happy to write! Just tell me when you got some outlines and I'll think about what I could get started on
What kind of stuff do you like to write? Let's see... I remember really enjoying your nonfiction, when you would write about stuff like ants. If you wanted to contribute something like that, I think we could work it in!

Goons Are Gifts

blaise rascal posted:

What kind of stuff do you like to write? Let's see... I remember really enjoying your nonfiction, when you would write about stuff like ants. If you wanted to contribute something like that, I think we could work it in!

I pretty much write for a living, so I have hardly a specific framework of what I write, but for my job (academical research and teaching on a university) I usually write nonfiction, which I assume somehow carried over into the ant threads, too. However, until a while ago I also used to game master a lot of P&P and wrote hundreds of pages of fictional stuff that I always only limit to that, as I'm always too scared to publish anything, except for that one time when I had a very small thread in BYOB where I posted spontanously written fairy tales a few years ago.
My biggest problem usually is creativity, as I'm just not good at spawning new stuff from nothing, but I'm usually quite good at transforming given stuff into new stuff or use starting points and turn them into something big. When I was younger, I used that to even write an entire book actually, of course it was terrible, but I liked doing it!
In fictional things I'm experienced with world-building, character development and dialogue, in nonfictional things I can offer everything from literal nonsense (seriously I used to do that professionally and even published it anonymously with interesting results) to academic research papers and arguments.

nut

i was wondering if a pokemon-ish game or even like a gatcha pon/claw machine game would be really amenable to a bunch of people contributing random art and writing? The rules of those two types of games don't have to be relevant, but i was just trying to think of something where you could have a bunch of different monsters/items from different sources

blaise rascal

Glutes Are Great posted:

I pretty much write for a living, so I have hardly a specific framework of what I write, but for my job (academical research and teaching on a university) I usually write nonfiction, which I assume somehow carried over into the ant threads, too. However, until a while ago I also used to game master a lot of P&P and wrote hundreds of pages of fictional stuff that I always only limit to that, as I'm always too scared to publish anything, except for that one time when I had a very small thread in BYOB where I posted spontanously written fairy tales a few years ago.
My biggest problem usually is creativity, as I'm just not good at spawning new stuff from nothing, but I'm usually quite good at transforming given stuff into new stuff or use starting points and turn them into something big. When I was younger, I used that to even write an entire book actually, of course it was terrible, but I liked doing it!
In fictional things I'm experienced with world-building, character development and dialogue, in nonfictional things I can offer everything from literal nonsense (seriously I used to do that professionally and even published it anonymously with interesting results) to academic research papers and arguments.
Ah cool! Yeah all that stuff could be useful for sure. I'm excited!

nut posted:

i was wondering if a pokemon-ish game or even like a gatcha pon/claw machine game would be really amenable to a bunch of people contributing random art and writing? The rules of those two types of games don't have to be relevant, but i was just trying to think of something where you could have a bunch of different monsters/items from different sources
These are both good ideas. I know that godot has simulated physics with its "rigid body" class that can be used for stuff like claw games:

I've messed around with this a bit and it's surprisingly easy.

Another type of game that could have a lot of people contributing things is some kind of rpg, filled with places for the player to explore & stuff.

e: Also maybe a bullet hell, where people draw lots of different enemies. Same thing goes for a platformer. There are a LOT of options.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 9, 2020

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I drew a butthole yesterday, please put it in the game. Theme be damned, this is BYOB.

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
i can draw monsters and make music

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I'm Plant Monster, by the way! Pleased to meet your acquaintance!!

blaise rascal

Kief Richards posted:

I drew a butthole yesterday, please put it in the game. Theme be damned, this is BYOB.

hell yeah. if there is a christmas tree in game, this will be the star on top of it.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

i can draw monsters and make music
you can do everything my friend, as evidenced by your extremely high-quality cyoas. very glad to have you on board

blaise rascal

The dialog system is coming along fine. I doubt it will be feature complete by tomorrow (meaning no branching dialog) but it should be more than capable of handling things like item descriptions and reading signs.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether or not to have the game scale up everything to be 2x its size. Doing so would turn this:

into this:

BENEFITS OF SCALING EVERYTHING UP 2X
-I normally make games in this style, so I'm more familiar with programming around it
-The blocky pixely look would be a common denominator between different people's art styles
-It doesn't take as much effort to cover the entire screen with art because the art is stretched farther (literally)

DOWNSIDES OF SCALING EVERYTHING UP 2X
-This style lends itself best to pixel art. Not everyone wants to make pixel art
-Might not be ideal if we happen to make a game based around rigidbody physics, such as a claw game
-People would have to draw their art half as big as it would be in the final product, which some may not have experience doing

If anyone has any opinions on this, please speak up. I can't decide!

Oh,and a quick comment on ANIMATION: I hope people make animated sprites for this. I can work with any format you choose to send me, be it a sprite sheet, or a gif, or just a bunch of separate images in a folder. (Though sprite sheets are my favorite.) Just thought I'd mention that now! I may make a more elaborate artist's guide later.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 10, 2020

nut

i say we make a big game

and i think i can make animated sprites, they will just be in photoshop but i'll use the pencil so it's blocky and pixelated

itry

Waiting for the theme.

posting smiling
since you mentioned bullet hell, i imagined i could make a scene in 3d for a boss fight or special stage, like when you go into "all range mode" in star fox and can fly freely around. then the majority of the game could be 2d gameplay with your scenes and the pixel art, and my scene could maybe house art from people who want to work in different styles. i'm imagining using billboard sprites like doom, so people could still make 2d art for the 3d gameplay.

i like 2x scaling for easier asset creation/legibility on screen personally.

blaise rascal

posting smiling posted:

since you mentioned bullet hell, i imagined i could make a scene in 3d for a boss fight or special stage, like when you go into "all range mode" in star fox and can fly freely around. then the majority of the game could be 2d gameplay with your scenes and the pixel art, and my scene could maybe house art from people who want to work in different styles. i'm imagining using billboard sprites like doom, so people could still make 2d art for the 3d gameplay.

If you could pull that off, it would be amazing!

posting smiling posted:

i like 2x scaling for easier asset creation/legibility on screen personally.

nut posted:

i say we make a big game

and i think i can make animated sprites, they will just be in photoshop but i'll use the pencil so it's blocky and pixelated
All right, 2x scaling it is. I'm happy with this decision. And nut brings up a good point; making pixel art is pretty easy, you just load up whatever drawing program, and select the "pencil" tool.

Heather Papps

hello friend

this is a post to say this is cool and if i can find a way to be useful i will!

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

alexandriao

nut posted:

how could i not volunteer after seeing this? i'm compute rilliterate but i can contribute anything else needed like art or writing or halftime snacks

art

blaise rascal

Glad there's more interest!

They're gonna reveal the theme of the jam in a live video in 4.5 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns9XizA89Ls

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i am goig to make assets. do you need sound effects and music and stuff? i have lots of stuff i can send

blaise rascal

barnold posted:

i am goig to make assets. do you need sound effects and music and stuff? i have lots of stuff i can send
Yes we will need that stuff. What kind of music do you like to make?

As far as music goes, if you all submit a lot of songs, perhaps we could implement an in-game jukebox, or even radio station

blaise rascal

:dogcited: :siren: :dogcited: :siren: :dogcited:

:dogcited: :siren: :dogcited: :siren: :dogcited:

blaise rascal

oh man. there are so many possibilities with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

Some ideas:
-Android Blues suggested we make a Zybourne Clock game, since some of the original fiction referred to the Zybourne Clock as the Golden Egg.
-Based on nut's post earlier in the thread, we could do a gacha / pokemon game where you get eggs and you have to hatch them. That way all of us could contribute drawings for all kinds of different eggs and creatures.
-Eggs are easily breakable; maybe we use angry birds - style physics to implement a scene where you have to balance eggs without breaking them?