Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Grandicap posted:

Order through strict compliance.

Order cannot co-exist with freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Amnistar posted:

Order cannot co-exist with freedom.

My order is a large cola with a side of onion rings.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Grandicap posted:

My order is a large cola with a side of onion rings.

Excellent choice, as long as it’s a classic Coca-Cola and the onion rings are more like onion strings because those are waaaaaaay better than thick onion rings

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Hal Incandenza posted:

Excellent choice, as long as it’s a classic Coca-Cola and the onion rings are more like onion strings because those are waaaaaaay better than thick onion rings

I only drink New Coke.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Amni, dgk, grandicap scum team

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

b-minus1 posted:

That would be a quality scum team that I would be a proud member of, alas, it is not so.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

b-minus1 posted:

Seems legit

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Hal Incandenza posted:

This is a bad opinion, null on alignment however.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Idle Amalgam posted:

Hello fellow participants,

I have unfortunately rolled town again.

Best of luck to us all,

IA

ia why do you have to make the scummiest posts lmao

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
I just wish to be scum or 3p, and I thought it best to disclose sincerely, that I was just... *sighs* ...town.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grandicap posted:

Order through strict compliance.

this comment is funny to me (and only me) because it's how a lot of people interpreted the new era of japan, 令和 (Reiwa) when the name was first announced. the kanji actually come from a chinese poem, and ostensibly mean "order and peace", but the kanji 令 is most frequently seen in words relating to "order" in the stricter sense of like, military and commands and poo poo. so a lot of people saw the name and were like why are we promoting fascism literally naming our new era "peace through regime".

anyway, this was unrelated to the game

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The better question, in my opinion, is why do players take day 1 alignment claims to be scummy?

What is inherently scummy about a player claiming their alignment.

Town benefits from being reasonably open.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

Mr. Steak posted:

this comment is funny to me (and only me) because it's how a lot of people interpreted the new era of japan, 令和 (Reiwa) when the name was first announced. the kanji actually come from a chinese poem, and ostensibly mean "order and peace", but the kanji 令 is most frequently seen in words relating to "order" in the stricter sense of like, military and commands and poo poo. so a lot of people saw the name and were like why are we promoting fascism literally naming our new era "peace through regime".

anyway, this was unrelated to the game

Lol this is a good tidbit though.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Idle Amalgam posted:

The better question, in my opinion, is why do players take day 1 alignment claims to be scummy?

ok so what's your role?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
hi hello i am "pinball"

##vote hal

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Idle Amalgam posted:

i am town and i will cry if anyone thinks im not

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

Mr. Steak posted:

ok so what's your role?

"Reasonably open"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

flerp posted:

i am town and i will cry if anyone thinks im not

flerp gets it

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Idle Amalgam posted:

"Reasonably open"

bro, i dont necessarily think you are scum, but how in the world do you think town benefits being open about their town alignment. if every town player in this game claimed....

actually, why not?

everyone, if you're town then say you're town! go!

i am town.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Exactly, you never know if the bastard is a mod enough to put in a truth detector.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
I’m town btw

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
I cannot lie detect. I'll clear that up now before I die too early lol.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
this is a good plan because nobody ever lies

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Idle Amalgam posted:

Exactly, you never know if the bastard is a mod enough to put in a truth detector.

not that you are arguing in good faith, but here's a serious response anyway
(note: not scummy bad-faith, just jokephase bad-faith)

in my experience truth detectors need to have a restriction about checking alignments anyway, because without that they are in no way different from a daycop. but with it, they are so extremely situational that i cant think of a way to make it fun.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
lie detect this post instead

i love you all

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

Mr. Steak posted:

not that you are arguing in good faith, but here's a serious response anyway
(note: not scummy bad-faith, just jokephase bad-faith)

in my experience truth detectors need to have a restriction about checking alignments anyway, because without that they are in no way different from a daycop. but with it, they are so extremely situational that i cant think of a way to make it fun.

This is fair. My point before it is too far gone, is that town, whether or not they can take other claims at face value, should more often than not be open and sincere.

It's moot though.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flerp posted:

lie detect this post instead

i love you all

if this was true, you would have changed your avatar months ago

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i have avs turned off :smuggo:

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh sick, i just tried using adblock to selectively block just the image of your avatar and it worked.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Idle Amalgam posted:

This is fair. My point before it is too far gone, is that town, whether or not they can take other claims at face value, should more often than not be open and sincere.

It's moot though.

This is dumb, if you consistently town claimed as town early in d1, what would stop scum IA from doing the same? The possibility of lie detectors is slim enough that it does not impact the calculus significantly. It is instead white noise and offers nothing.
Instead, it makes it feel like that by stating it, you are spotlighting something that you are insecure about.

The only alignment claim one should make d1 is a Survivor claim, because a d1 survivor claim is a fun way to play.
Everything else is irrelevant because if you are scum you should just say you are town, and if you are town you should say you are town, nothing worth analyzing there at all.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
I’ve already added two people to my confirmed town list

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

b-minus1 posted:

I’ve already added two people to my confirmed town list

drat, i only got 1 so far

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grandicap posted:

because a d1 survivor claim is a fun way to play.

as the authority of survivor meta, i have to say no to this one.

as for claiming survivor as another alignment, why would you intentionally lose the game?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
imo scum should claim d1

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

flerp posted:

i have avs turned off :smuggo:

Pro

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Steak posted:

as for claiming survivor as another alignment, why would you intentionally lose the game?

All I can think of is Jester.

flerp posted:

imo scum should claim d1

Only if they're the freakin' Siberian. Jebus that role was insane.

Mr. Steak posted:

ok so what's your role?

##vote Mr. Steak don't like this.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

apostateCourier posted:

##vote Mr. Steak don't like this.

i might be thinking of someone else, but i think this is the 2nd time you've voted me for jokingly rolefishing on d1

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

How exactly am I supposed to tell that it's a joke?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Mr. Steak posted:

No, claiming survivor as survivor is fun. If you can get town to agree that you are the best possible execution candidate on the day before ExLO, you give yourself free reign to scum hunt. Scum shouldn't kill you because you can theoretically vote with them, and should, if the gamestate gets to the point where they are 1 off the win. And town has no real reason to kill you until it becomes a pressing matter.
It is a bad scum claim because you are essentially putting yourself on the block if town does poorly, as keeping a survivor around in ExLO+1 is a death sentence.
It forces you to play pro town with a scum shield.
But mostly because survivor is a boring role to play in my opinion, it puts too much emphasis on self-preservation, which means you don't want to have inflammatory opinions, and you don't want to stick your neck out. So it favors a lower posting strategy.
That is all not helpful to the current situation, I was just saying the only scenario in which an alignment claim D1 makes sense.
(I guess this pertains to all 3rd parties, especially if close to execution d1, a 3p claim can give you a stay of execution if your win con is orthogonal to town's.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

apostateCourier posted:

How exactly am I supposed to tell that it's a joke?

The absurdity. Noone would actually ask for a roleclaim in that way, so it must be a joke.