Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Just watched all three episodes. Holy poo poo, I wasn’t expecting quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Show continues to be great.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I am watching through the original series and I am partway through Season 2 now. I guess if they are going to release one episode a week I have plenty of time.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Episode three: and now I'm singing "get your baps out" for absolutely no reason . . .

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Sinister getting blown across the room mid-monologue was great

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Skios posted:

Welp, watched the new episode over breakfast. Animation is still really tight, that hallucination sequence was appropriately trippy. Don't like them throwing out both Nathan and Jean and going straight back to the status quo though.

This is pretty much how this plotline was in the comics too, just spread out over a few years. Though (comics spoilers) Madelyne died at the time for awhile, as these things tend to go. Scott got back together with Jean in X-Factor, and they shipped Nathan off to the future. Jean and Madelyn also shared memories with each other, and got some from Phoenix Jean too if I remember right.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Closed captions note that the credits music is “captivating instrumental music”. So if you don’t like it that’s on you.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

"I refuse to abandon my son." Immediately walks away from his son before they ship him off to the future, while his mom actually says goodbye.

Great episode, just thought the way they framed that was funny.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
This episode had some really freaky visuals. I can get why some episodes scared as a kid. (I remember being freaked out by astronaut parts of the Phoenix Saga.)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I figured they were gonna have Madelyn go to the future and Bishop stick around.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
God I didn't know how much I need soap opera mutant bullshit. *Dry humps TV*

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Clones, time travel, love triangles, an evil hot lady in mid-century domme gear, that's the good Claremont poo poo.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
wow, episode 3 of X-men 97 has so much good poo poo.

so freaky. and amazing dialogue.
reviewers had early access to the first 3 episodes, and they did mention that episode 3 was amazing.

I feel like the old show didn't really show the X-Men just living inside the mansion, they just used the command room to hold meetings. feels like they showing their homelives a lot more here.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jen Hale must have had so much fun recording this episode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Jen Hale must have had so much fun recording this episode.

Speaking of, I noticed they got their full money's worth in episode 2, by having her do 3 voices (I think union rules still say you can have a voice actor do 3 parts before it counts for a higher rate). I'm 98% sure I heard her as the firewoman at the start as well as Jean and Maddie.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Gaz-L posted:

Speaking of, I noticed they got their full money's worth in episode 2, by having her do 3 voices (I think union rules still say you can have a voice actor do 3 parts before it counts for a higher rate). I'm 98% sure I heard her as the firewoman at the start as well as Jean and Maddie.

Now I am really curious how that works with clones, like I am sure the studios have argued clones count only as one voice/character. Is Dee Bradley Baker just rolling in it because he voices every clone trooper in Star Wars? And what about multiverse versions and timeline variants?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I made this this morning as I was hit with a wave of nostalgia and deja vu

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The closeup of the tear going down Madelyn's cheek really captured the spirit of the original cartoon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They told a satisfying version of Inferno in like 25 minutes, that's amazing.

Roberto is just hanging out at the mansion? I guess if Jubes is totally into you that's a good reason to show up. I do hope all the mutants that Morph is turning into isn't happening purely so they can say they had others in the show when they don't plan on using them.

I never liked Sinster in the old show becuase I felt like they went back to that well so many times, when there are so many other X-men villains to use. But since then, I learned to love the most glam X-men villain. I hope they make Sinister London in an episode so we can see his ultimate vanity project.

I wonder if we'll see a follow up to the Rogue origin episode with Carol Danvers, as that episode ends with her waking up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which Jean’s genes? The Jean in jeans?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, Jean telling Hank "bitch Beast please" when he's all like "but your condition" was great.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tequila Mockingbird lol.

I was kinda hoping they'd find a way to keep Cable and Bishop around but at least Madelyn gets to choose to be good.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
i have no idea of the order it goes in the comics, but this is what the str. of an animation show like this is done, just cherry pick all the interesting ones and put all the great ones in one show.

So for the joke in the 3rd episode

Did Morph actually input the reservations for Rogue/Magneto in the danger room for all day as a practical joke? Cause Gambit was right that they were on patrol that day.

Kind of a weird cut. Like oh wow, this 2nd Jean appeared. Next scene.

Oh well, let's go spar in the danger room, Gambit, me and Wolverine, how about it? My boyfriend arrived, so I'm gonna watch a movie with him.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Not sure what or how it is different.... but it feels like the same old campy xmen cartoon but with a script that seems made for grownups.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Madelyne watched a lot of 90's anime, it seems :swoon:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Desperado Bones posted:

Madelyne watched a lot of 90's anime, it seems :swoon:

I am so glad someone else thought this.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I have always felt sorry for Madlyn but inferno looses something with out Scott straight up leaving his wife and child in the middle Bumfuck Alaska, to hook up with his ex.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
This show is very much in the "no, Cyclops is cool, lets not ruin him with absolutely insane decisions that make him into a lovely person" camp.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Jerry from Rick and Morty is Cyclops with no redeeming qualities.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Cyclops has a pretty rough life. Falls out of a plane as a child while his parents are taken by aliens. The parachute catches fire causing him to land on his head/suffer permanent brain damage. Ends up in Mister Sinister's orphanage, is split up from his brother. Is eventually found by Professor Xavier and turned into a para military child solider.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Marsupial Ape posted:

Jerry from Rick and Morty is Cyclops with no redeeming qualities.

If there's one thing I know about cartoons, both Western or Japanese, being some dude with zero redeeming qualities is like catnip to women in them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The baby looks remarkably mature for someone just two days old.

Also, Scott was very quick to turn his back on his wife after the original came back. I mean, she just gave birth to your child, holy poo poo dude.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Spacebump posted:

Cyclops has a pretty rough life. Falls out of a plane as a child while his parents are taken by aliens. The parachute catches fire causing him to land on his head/suffer permanent brain damage. Ends up in Mister Sinister's orphanage, is split up from his brother. Is eventually found by Professor Xavier and turned into a para military child solider.

Yeah, he literally has a full blown mental breakdown, coming to a head when he goes back home and blows up his house arguing with hallucinations not long into X-Factor. The dude was traumatised and straight up not remotely well but some dickheads ignore all that because "CYcloPs iS the WorST!!!"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The baby looks remarkably mature for someone just two days old.

Also, Scott was very quick to turn his back on his wife after the original came back. I mean, she just gave birth to your child, holy poo poo dude.

You know how it is in tv shows, they can't actually use a newborn baby on set.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I didn't need to have Inferno told in 30 minutes, they should have at least given it two episodes for anything that happened to have some meaning.

Also, I can't remember how he was in the original cartoon, but is Morph supposed to be a bit of an rear end in a top hat?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They were always implied to be Logan's shitposter buddy*

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Morph has the Nightcrawler role of being the one guy on the team Logan likes.

Also don't forget when in the Orphanage, Sinester turned himself into a kid to bully Scott.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Scott deserved it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What was Sinister's original power? Was he like Sylar in Heroes where he could eat people's brains to copy their powers?

Now he just seems to have the power of plot to be a creepy jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He's like Apocalypse, where his powers aren't really defined. He can just kind of do whatever the plot wants him to.