Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

live with fruit posted:

The police violence in the Gobi Desert seemed to be played for laughs at the time but moreso like a sign that the TVA is rotten as the episode went on.

The TVA is already heavily coded as the bad guys, so I'm guessing that Fem-Loki tells our Loki something that lets him, and us, know that this Sacred Timeline is total BS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Dave Syndrome posted:

Yeah, I was watching it with my co-worker over lunch break, and we said the same thing at the same time. Had to turn it into a wee meme after the show.

all i could think is "Heroes Reborn??? That's not even done in the comics yet!?"

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Technowolf posted:

The TVA is already heavily coded as the bad guys, so I'm guessing that Fem-Loki tells our Loki something that lets him, and us, know that this Sacred Timeline is total BS.

I mean, other timelines/universes are often packed with tremendous assholes, so I get the impulse, if nothing else

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I really loved Loki’s reaction to seeing his supposed-to-be-future. I was expecting him to break down terribly when he saw his mother die but his whole reaction to everything was just stellar acting and incredible which I why I was totally okay with the recap and wanted to see nothing but that. Much better than just having a Loki only recap at the beginning because this just helped him grow into what could be the Loki that Thanos killed.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Anita Dickinme posted:

I really loved Loki’s reaction to seeing his supposed-to-be-future. I was expecting him to break down terribly when he saw his mother die but his whole reaction to everything was just stellar acting and incredible which I why I was totally okay with the recap and wanted to see nothing but that. Much better than just having a Loki only recap at the beginning because this just helped him grow into what could be the Loki that Thanos killed.

Spoilers, but an interesting little piece about how Tom approached his performance in this first episode.

https://gizmodo.com/loki-s-tom-hiddleston-tells-us-how-the-big-premiere-rev-1847058051

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Oovee posted:

so the jar thing they use to prune alternate timelines, does it blow up the universe in question or something?

I think so, and I think the reference to the branch reaching the redline is the time they have to set the device off and have an effect. like if the branch hits the redline, they no longer have the power to eliminate it anymore. Which would/could explain how some alternate timelines can still exist.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Oovee posted:

so the jar thing they use to prune alternate timelines, does it blow up the universe in question or something?

The comics answer would be

(Dude in blue is Mobius) The TVA in this story is not exactly the same as what we saw in the show, but they're portrayed as a Bad Thing, for what it's worth.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I mean, other timelines/universes are often packed with tremendous assholes, so I get the impulse, if nothing else

You mean like Reed Richards??

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

live with fruit posted:

You mean like Reed Richards??

Stem to stern, a tremendous piece of garbage

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Anyone catch that ring being used as a paperweight at the end of the credits? I’m at work and can’t check but my first thought was a sling ring but I think it only went on one finger

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Retrowave Joe posted:

Anyone catch that ring being used as a paperweight at the end of the credits? I’m at work and can’t check but my first thought was a sling ring but I think it only went on one finger

I think that was the clicker they used to drag the time twister wearer back?

Sir DonkeyPunch fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 9, 2021

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

TV IV › MCU TV: LOKI (This is fine Asgardian leather!)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

TV IV > MCU TV: Loki confirmed as Mephisto

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Feels obvious that the "Devil" is going to be Loki with his/her helmet on.

And Loki's gender being listed as "Fluid" on his paperwork is definitely a setup for Lady Loki.

(Do I need to spoil baseless personal speculation?)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I want to know more about Loki’s bet with Thor and Heimdall that lead to him becoming DB Cooper. Interesting how in the trailers that was portrayed as being something he did for the TVA.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Feels obvious that the "Devil" is going to be Loki with his/her helmet on.

And Loki's gender being listed as "Fluid" on his paperwork is definitely a setup for Lady Loki.

(Do I need to spoil baseless personal speculation?)

The Devil thing isn't speculation. The director has straight up stated the Devil is Loki. There is no Mephisto.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

X-O posted:

The Devil thing isn't speculation. The director has straight up stated the Devil is Loki. There is no Mephisto.

Kang, on the other hand,

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The_Doctor posted:

I want to know more about Loki’s bet with Thor and Heimdall that lead to him becoming DB Cooper. Interesting how in the trailers that was portrayed as being something he did for the TVA.

It was sort of dumb. He lost a bet so he had to... Travel to Earth, hijack a plane and jump out with a suitcase full of cash? That's very specific.

The episode was fine but it felt like 100% setup and exposition. And I get why all the footage from previous movies was narratively necessary but it got a bit dull.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like it is footage from a different version of the show that was repurposed when they decided to go a different direction with the plot/conceit.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
They could have cut down on the exposition dump a bit. I get recapping Thor 2, because no-one cared enough about the first 2 Thor films to remember literally anything about them, but if someone is watching a Marvel show on Disney Plus I think you can go ahead and safely assume they've watched The Avengers.

It was...fine. Except the production design, the TVA is absolutely gorgeous, and the only thing that's missing is that everyone should be chain smoking.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Why'd they cheapen out on the clock thing for that very 50's Cartoon PSA by making it CGI

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pastamania posted:

They could have cut down on the exposition dump a bit. I get recapping Thor 2, because no-one cared enough about the first 2 Thor films to remember literally anything about them, but if someone is watching a Marvel show on Disney Plus I think you can go ahead and safely assume they've watched The Avengers.

That's... what they did? They cut the recap very short for super successful Ragnarok and Endgame while elaborating on the one everyone remembers nothing from. :raise:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

MiddleOne posted:

That's... what they did? They cut the recap very short for super successful Ragnarok and Endgame while elaborating on the one everyone remembers nothing from. :raise:

Hey, I remember Darcy saying "mew mew".

…I don't remember much of the actual plot though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I remember that they used that canned wave effect that was all the rage the time (due to becoming cheap).

I think there was some kind of plot too??

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'mma bet Loki A) does something to gently caress with the TVA/Timemasters and cause a more substantive multiverse (sounds kind of like some sort of 'glorious purpose', helping trillions have true free will, and all) and B)he goes to right after Thanos murdered him and revives himself/takes his own place, meaning the prime timeline still has a mostly good Loki.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Show good. Want more show.

As for the exposition, remember that the director is making this for a broad audience, rather than an Internet forum full of TurboNerds who rewatch the movies every few months just to win arguments.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/BrandonDavisBD/status/1402728579927003137

hmm

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Damnit Steve.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Finally a shot of Mephisto

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hahahaha awesome

Fan speculation, you can ignore all completely: Lady Loki is gonna bomb the TVA with the charges she has been stealing and release all the multiverse. That's it.

Anyways, loved it. I don't care if it's a recap, it was a well done recap with some funny scenes and amazing "retro-futurist" scenarios.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Mephisto is like Lupus being the illness on House. It will always be suggested and won't be it until the series is basically over.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
If they ever get around to adding Mephisto to the MCU, I'm sure his introduction will be relatively Low-Key.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

Hahahaha awesome

Fan speculation, you can ignore all completely: Lady Loki is gonna bomb the TVA with the charges she has been stealing and release all the multiverse. That's it.

Yeah it's a fairly classic time travel story trope that in the end whoever is doing the time travel has all their actions erased and everyone is released from all causality and predetermination paradoxes.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

If we're breaking this seal, someone's pointed out that one of the Time-Keepers (the middle one) kinda looks like Jonathan Majors.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MiddleOne posted:

Plus, it was kind of important for Loki to see what happened at the start of Infinity War. He had to see that all his plotting/scheming/literal backstabbing led to Thanos snapping his neck like he would a chicken. And to learn that according to the TVA Loki's "glorious purpose" was to sow strife, pain and misery which let other people become their best selves.

Beyond that the point of the TVA isn't that they're "bad guys."(although any sane view should see that are. Hell Thanos's big villain plan in Endgame was "destroy this universe and make another one that fits with me." The TVA does that all the time. It's not that being don't have free will. It's that the TVA destroys any universe created by a decision that conflicts with their "sacred timeline." If you were supposed to eat at McDonald's last Tuesday and chose at try that new Thai place instead, the TVA will destroy that universe and the you that tried the new Thai place (hopefully they aren't quite that anal about things). It's that they, too, are "burdened with glorious purpose." Their purpose is to prevent the annihilation of all reality from a new multiverse war - by preventing a new multiverse. The fact that they commit genocide on the scale that they do as often as they do makes "genocide" lose all meaning. Hell, the Holocaust happened in the Sacred Timeline. So there were TVA agents making sure that it happened and destroying universes where it did not happen.

Because remember Dr. Strange's "there's one timeline where we win?" That's the TVA all the time - at least in their own minds.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I get that the Avengers travelling through time a bunch was 'meant to happen' but what about all of the alternate timelines they created? Were they all destroyed after the team stole/put back the stones? Did they just let the Steve/Peggy timeline slide?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

stev posted:

I get that the Avengers travelling through time a bunch was 'meant to happen' but what about all of the alternate timelines they created? Were they all destroyed after the team stole/put back the stones? Did they just let the Steve/Peggy timeline slide?

Who knows, maybe it's explored in the show later.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Are there any big plot holes currently open in the MCU? Seems like everything that even seems like a plot hole gets filled eventually, since the series never ends.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

G-III posted:

So that was pretty drat good. That view of the TVA - realm cityscape felt like it came directly from 70s sci fi art and it ruled.

It was kind of cool, but also didn't feel like anything really astonishing in and of itself i.e. the kind of thing that couldn't eventually exist without really advanced technology outside the realm of human ingenuity or the laws of normal physics. I'd frankly have expected something more akin to an M.C. Escher painting, with the various planes of the city folding in on themselves in mind bending ways, and time looping oddly for traversal or something. I'm honestly kind of confused about why Loki was so shocked by the appearance of the city and refused to believe that there was no magic in the TVA when he saw it. If anything, Asgard looks more impressive, because the TVA place just looks so chaotic and haphazard, where Asgard has an elegance to it's design. Also that there actually is apparently no magic in the TVA. Magic is basically a fundamental force in the Marvel universe, so not having any would be like building a city with...I don't know, no gravity or something. It's just another part of nature. Why would they specifically be avoiding it? Not even zero gravity, as in a vacuum; but a place where the very concept of gravity doesn't exist. Which, I'm not even sure how that would affect things.

Speaking of TVA technology: I like that the TVA gestapo have advanced time/space manipulation devices that can slow down someone's personal timeline, put them in a loop etc. and that the TVA's headquarters is capable of voiding fundamental forces like the Infinity Stones but the TVA police themselves have basic bitch armor that'd probably be fairly useless against a simple sword, and are taken out by an oil fire trap.

Lazy Robot posted:

Mobius has access to the entire timeline, past and future. Drinks Josta.

Is Josta infamous in some way? I assume it's a particularly cheap or low rent Coca-Cola knock-off in America or something?

Technowolf posted:

I've never read any of the comics with Fem Loki, but the general feeling I get from a quick Google is that Fem Loki is a much explicitly evil version of Loki who takes a more sadistic pleasure in causing chaos and pain. If that is the case (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), then I would expect that Fem Loki's plan is do something particularly vile with the canisters that wipe out unsanctioned universes, and that "our" Loki uses them instead to target the TVA at the end in a mischievous scamp way, blowing up the whole thing to give people more free will while smiling and saying something about glorious purpose.

Anita Dickinme posted:

The show doesn't really focus on them the way that they do the visual recaps, but I do think the TVA judge's line that Loki has never been the protagonist of his own story, and Mobius' line that Loki is just the villain to make other's look better had a pretty big effect on him too. At least, in conjunction with him seeing the rest of his life play out as a minor footnote, rather than ever achieving anything of note. I was fully expecting that he'd have some way to play past his death or see events outside his own timeline and realize that the Avengers weren't even concerned with him when they jumped through time, and instead were just doing it to stop Thanos. It's possible he's realized that from Thanos killing him, but it's definitely not nearly as clear as having a view of the meeting where they plan the time heist or something.

live with fruit posted:

Kang, on the other hand,

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Kang is the first post multiverse villain to take advantage of the new status quo and Loki is ultimately pretty heavily involved in chasing him down and/or defeating him behind the scenes without ever directly revealing himself. Kind of like a Marvel Booster Gold or something.

stev posted:

It was sort of dumb. He lost a bet so he had to... Travel to Earth, hijack a plane and jump out with a suitcase full of cash? That's very specific.

The episode was fine but it felt like 100% setup and exposition. And I get why all the footage from previous movies was narratively necessary but it got a bit dull.

It actually kind of sounds like all the other stupid poo poo Loki does to humiliate others in various legends or to arrange a win for himself. Really petty and weird, but kind of silly fun is pretty consistent with a lot of myths about pantheons of Gods in general and not even just Norse ones really.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Are there any big plot holes currently open in the MCU? Seems like everything that even seems like a plot hole gets filled eventually, since the series never ends.
Depends on your definition of Big. There's stuff like Homecoming's title cards placing it after Infinity War in the timeline, or the dead-end foreshadowing of Loki controlling Selvig pre-Avengers and blind Heimdall from Age of Ultron.